Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,103 members, 7,814,875 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue (22431 Views)

Man Slumps & Dies At Bank In Delta After Waiting Several Hours To Withdraw Cash / Did CBN Recently Order Reduction In Bank Charges? (Fact Check) / Allen Onyema: U.S. Seizes $14 Million In Bank Accounts Linked To Air Peace Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by treesun: 9:22pm On Feb 21, 2023
An employee of the Lagos State University, Ojo, Mr. Johnson Ademola, died Monday afternoon in a bank queue in the institution while trying to withdraw cash.

Reports of Ademola’s demise had emerged online as some news outlets (not PUNCH) said the deceased was one of the deputy bursars of the institution.

It was gathered that the incident happened at a branch of Wema Bank in the university where the deceased went to withdraw some money.

According to reports, the bank was allegedly allowing customers to withdraw a maximum of N5,000, fuelling the online reports that Ademola had died while in the queue to withdraw N5,000.

Ademola, who until his death was the Financial Officer of the Faculty of Law and an Executive Officer in the Accounts Department of the institution, was said to have slumped while waiting in the queue for his turn to withdraw cash. Efforts to revive him reportedly proved abortive.

It was gathered that the deceased was subsequently rushed to the University Health Centre where he was certified dead.

An employee of the university, who did not want his name in print because he was not authorised to speak on the issue, confirmed the incident to our correspondent Tuesday afternoon.

He said, “It is true. We were all shocked when we heard about it yesterday. The story is that he was at the bank to withdraw some cash and he slumped while in the queue and died immediately.”

The member of LASU community blamed Ademola’s death on the crisis that resulted from the naira redesign policy of the Central Bank of Nigeria.

When contacted on Tuesday afternoon, the acting Coordinator for the Centre for Information and Public Relations, LASU, Mr. Olaniyi Jeariogbe, confirmed the incident to The PUNCH. He, however, clarified that the deceased was not one of the institution’s deputy bursars as reported by some media outlets.

He said, “LASU does not have only one deputy bursar. And as I speak, all our deputy bursars and the bursar are alive, hale and hearty. I needed to clarify that.”

He continued, “The man who died was the CEO Accounts and was until his death the Financial Officer of the Faculty of Law.”

Asked about the circumstances surrounding Ademola’s death, Jeariogbe said he (Ademola) left the office for the bank to carry out “some personal transactions” at around past 11am.

“Anything can happen to anybody,” he said, adding that, “he (Ademola) left the office to go for some personal transactions at the bank between 11am and 12pm, and he had not even been away for up to 30 minutes when we heard that he had died.”

Ademola who, according to the LASU spokesperson, joined the institution as a Typist in January 1986, was born on November 13, 1959.

On October 26, 2022, the Governor of the CBN, Godwin Emefiele, announced the apex bank’s plan to redesign the N200, N500 and N1,000 notes of the naira.

The CBN boss also said the old notes of the redesigned denominations would lose their legal tender status from January 31, 2023, adding that new notes would be released on December 15, 2022.

He, therefore, advised Nigerians to start to deposit their old notes to their accounts through commercial banks before the January 31 deadline.

Justifying the need for the naira redesigned policy, Emefiele said 85 per cent of the currency in circulation was outside of the banking sector and was being hoarded by Nigerians.

He added that redesigning naira notes would help to curb counterfeit notes, as well as hamper ransom payments to terrorists and kidnappers.

The January 31 deadline was later extended to February 10 after a meeting between the CBN governor and the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.).

This has resulted in the scarcity of the naira across the country with its attendant hardships on Nigerians.

Violent protests leading to burning of banks and other properties with some lives lost have erupted in multiple places in Nigeria as the citizens groan under the pain that the scarcity of the naira has brought upon them.

Queues have continued to mount in banks and Automated Teller Machine points across the country, and Point of Sale merchants have resorted to selling naira notes at exorbitant prices to Nigerians.

Governors of Kaduna, Kogi and Zamfara states, Nasir el-Rufai, Yahaya Bello and Bello Matawalle respectively, had dragged the Federal Government to the Supreme Court over the naira redesign policy. The apex court had granted an interim injunction restraining the apex bank and the FG from implementing the February 10 for the expiration of the legal tender status of the old N200, N500 and N1,000 notes pending the hearing and determination of the suit before it.

The apex court has adjourned the hearing till Wednesday, February 22, 2023.

However, the CBN and the FG have insisted that the February 10 deadline remained. The CBN governor said the apex bank was not joined in the suit, hence it would not be affected by the Supreme Court ruling.

Also, the President in a nationwide broadcast on Thursday, February 16, barely 24 hours after the apex court adjourned the hearing of the pending suit to February 22, announced that the old N500 and N1,000 notes had ceased to be legal tender, while extending the validity of the old N200 note by 60 days from February 10 to April 10 before it will also lose its legal tender status, contrary to the apex court ruling.
https://punchng.com/naira-lasu-employee-trying-to-withdraw-cash-dies-in-bank-queue/

1 Like

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by Nobody: 9:23pm On Feb 21, 2023
Tinubu apc has killed another Nigerian today.

Vote Atiku

Moto go jam any APC supporter that quotes me and try to disassociate Tinubu from APC, for the past 7yrs, you guys hail Tinubu as the foundation of APC and most important man, now a week to election, una dey talk rubbish.
Moto jam you angry

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by immortalcrown(m): 9:24pm On Feb 21, 2023
Sad.

May God console the family.

4 Likes

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by Omihanifa: 9:26pm On Feb 21, 2023
RIP to the deceased, the death was avoidable if not for government and the banks.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by Nobody: 9:32pm On Feb 21, 2023
All this artificial death are avoidable.Buhari is unconcerned.Person wey no fit do anything to Fulani herdsmen killers.Stone heart.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by clevetom99: 9:35pm On Feb 21, 2023
It is a very sad experience. This period has been a very difficult one for everyone. It's so unfortunate that it is happening at a time like this when election is about to happen.

A sordid ordeal on the path of the victim. I can only pray that the family has what it takes to bear this massive loss at a very difficult time like this.

2 Likes

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by WibusJaga: 9:45pm On Feb 21, 2023

This Naira Redesign Confiscation is sheer madness from Buhari & APC.

Someone described Buhari like a Rat Exterminator that was contracted to kill all the rats in a house. He actually successfully carried out the job, but ended up setting the entire house on fire. cheesy

Woe unto APC.
Woe unto Buhari
Woe unto the man that claimed he made Buhari president.

14 Likes

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by chibike69: 5:17am On Feb 22, 2023
cry
Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by Kreamie(m): 5:17am On Feb 22, 2023
Omo
Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by Kobicove(m): 5:18am On Feb 22, 2023
Another needless death...all because of a thoughtless CBN policy angry

8 Likes

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by Mrregistration: 5:18am On Feb 22, 2023
Chief Executive Omo it...... CEO with unregistered business

Chief Executive Officer......CEO with registered business

Choose one

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by Biodun556(m): 5:19am On Feb 22, 2023
Buhari and Emefiele must pay for their evils

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by bcomputer101: 5:19am On Feb 22, 2023
Point of correction, he's not an Executive Officer, he's a DEPUTY BURSAR

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by EKONGKING: 5:21am On Feb 22, 2023
Ok
Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by LandMann: 5:24am On Feb 22, 2023
Thinkam:
Tinubu apc has killed another Nigerian today.

Vote Atiku

Zombieic response.

Tinubu is fighting this cursed policy but Atiku is supporting it for political gain, yet you want people to vote Atiku. You see how low your level of reasoning is?

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by JoeRizzla(m): 5:26am On Feb 22, 2023
Omoh people dey suffer sha
Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by ufotunang: 5:26am On Feb 22, 2023
See what Buhari and APC has caused... nawaoooo
Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by miniziter(m): 5:26am On Feb 22, 2023
I'm not a Prophet of doom but I won't be surprised to hear more funny news. I stood for 12 hours (9am to 9pm) just this Monday to deposit old note.

4 Likes

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by SMARTMOTORS(m): 5:26am On Feb 22, 2023
Claustaphobia
Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by ufotunang: 5:27am On Feb 22, 2023
And this is the change and next level nigerians voted for.....
Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by dele1727: 5:28am On Feb 22, 2023
ufotunang:
See what Buhari and APC has caused... nawaoooo

I thought obi was all for it?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by dele1727: 5:29am On Feb 22, 2023
ufotunang:
And this is the change and next level nigerians voted for.....

Its a pity..the man could not endure the policy as obi advised

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by jericco1(m): 5:31am On Feb 22, 2023
Chai. Probably had a preexisting ailment

1 Like

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by smudge2079(m): 5:32am On Feb 22, 2023
It was his time I guess. Read up , he was away for barely 30mins….
Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by debetmx(m): 5:35am On Feb 22, 2023
Buhari is not bothered. He's not his child. Does Yusuf or Zahra queue for the new notes? The mad man has turned us in to beggars with money in our accounts.

3 Likes

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by factcheckmmm: 5:36am On Feb 22, 2023
APC must go
Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by bolademi(m): 5:37am On Feb 22, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by azikiweironsi(m): 5:43am On Feb 22, 2023
Sad. RIP
The policy was initially lauded and suddenly the people that were calling Buhari clueless suddenly became their hero. Urging him to continue believing it going to hurts Tinubu because of hates now they're have shot themselves in the leg when they are equally suffering from the policy. Most especially the so called youths from one region urging him to continue.
What a set of confused set of tribe. I no mention name o. But on Friday we shall all see whether their hero will win or not.
For me and my household it's Jagaban all the way.
You can argue with keyboard, I care less.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by faceLAGOS: 5:48am On Feb 22, 2023
Probably an apc member.
Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by marlow1962(m): 5:51am On Feb 22, 2023
That's standard.
Vote apc for continuing suffering, una eye nva clear finish, more apc shege to come.

I don ready my PVC, and I stand gidigba for new Nigerian, because everything good is Possible.
Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by meobizy(f): 5:55am On Feb 22, 2023
Slump ati die. Nothing fit kill my yoga.
Re: Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue by Cutehector(m): 5:59am On Feb 22, 2023
His soul rest in peace amen..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos / Cement Business - Start It I Can Help (by Dangote Distributor) / 1960BET: Company Run By SCAMMERS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.