Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:28 AM

Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building (971 Views)

Check Out This New Wall Panels Replacing House Paints / Man Defaces His Car As He Joyfully Announces His Divorce / My Father Does Not Let Me Drive His Car Is This Normal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by treatise: 10:49am On Feb 26, 2023
Good day People,
One of my team members sought my opinion in light of the subject and he expects my response tomorrow being Monday. This guy has a Mazda series car (performing well) but the parts are seldom found in our location and the may be parked for a week just because of as little as oil seal; he has decided to get a corolla car which parts are quite common here.

The used corolla costs between 2.7 and 3m naira but the Mazda can't get up to 800k. He is now thinking of using the 2.7m to get a piece of land and start a 3- bedroom flat whilst he continues using the Mazda.

I wouldn't know the answer I should give him tomorrow and he sees me as a matured man with wisdom.

Please advise.

Thank you.
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by Asgard13: 10:53am On Feb 26, 2023
Land and building over car..

Fix the car and repaint

You no Dey compete with anyone.. driving home to your property.. is the real deal.

8 Likes

Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by treatise: 10:55am On Feb 26, 2023
Asgard13:

Fix the car and repaint

You no Dey compete with anyone.. driving home to your property.. is the real deal.

Thanks for this. He's changing the car because of non-availability of parts in our location not prestige. Mechanics dey chop am wella being a "lonely" car in the town.

2 Likes

Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by Asgard13: 10:58am On Feb 26, 2023
treatise:

Thanks for this. He's changing the car because of availability of parts in our location not prestige. Mechanics dey chop am wella being a "lonely" in the town.

Start the building project first.. money sabi find route to who utilize am well

Before he finish ..
He will buy car..

3 Likes

Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by dapsoneh: 11:00am On Feb 26, 2023
Asgard13:

Fix the car and repaint

100bottles of Heineken for you

3 Likes

Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by treatise: 11:03am On Feb 26, 2023
grin
dapsoneh:
100bottles of Heineken for you
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by kernniejay(m): 11:05am On Feb 26, 2023
treatise:
Good day People,
One of my team members sought my opinion in light of the subject and he expects my response tomorrow being Monday. This guy has a Mazda series car (performing well) but the parts are seldom found in our location and the may be parked for a week just because of as little as oil seal; he has decided to get a corolla car which parts are quite common here.

The used corolla costs between 2.7 and 3m naira but the Mazda can't get up to 800k. He is now thinking of using the 2.7m to get a piece of land and start a 3- bedroom flat whilst he continues using the Mazda.

I wouldn't know the answer I should give him tomorrow and he sees me as a matured man with wisdom.

Please advise.

Thank you.
Is your friend using his car for transport business, if not then ask your friend, if his landlord did not build that house, where will your friend be sleeping? My two cent is that, there is nothing like having your own roof over your head, the peace you experience is undescribable. Your Landlord can increase rent tomorrow or give you a refund and serve you quit notice just because his cousin is coming from abroad or for any other excuse. Where will you be parking your car, on the street where it can be vandalized if not stolen away? Tell your friend to make hay while the sun shines.

2 Likes

Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by brain54(m): 11:08am On Feb 26, 2023
If I were you or your friend…

I will go for the land and building first. Sort the car issue later.

You didn’t state your location…
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by treatise: 11:11am On Feb 26, 2023
kernniejay:

Is your friend using his car for transport business, if not then ask your friend, if his landlord did not build that house, where will your friend be sleeping? My two cent is that, there is nothing like having your own roof over your head, the peace you experience is undescribable. Your Landlord can increase rent tomorrow or give you a refund and serve you quit notice just because his cousin is coming from abroad or for any other excuse. Where will you be parking your car, on the street where it can be vandalized if not stolen away? Tell your friend to make hay while the sun shines.
We work in the same office - the car is for personal use. Thanks for your great input

1 Like

Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by decatalyst(m): 11:12am On Feb 26, 2023
If he has to be using bike, Uber, bolt or trekking, let him use the fund to buy land and do some block works.

Your first house is not luxury, it saves you lots of unforseen embarrassment.

3 Likes

Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by TradingGod: 11:19am On Feb 26, 2023
a car depreciate the moment you buy it
A house appreciate the moment you buy it

2 Likes

Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by treatise: 11:34am On Feb 26, 2023
brain54:
If I were you or your friend…

I will go for the land and building first. Sort the car issue later.

You didn’t state your location…
It's Nasarawa state
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by frozen70(f): 11:56am On Feb 26, 2023
treatise:
Good day People,

Please advise.

Thank you.

I think car is a luxury and having a building project from start to finish is more useful as one day you will need to have yoor own shelter

I suggest he starts planning on getting a land and start something there that gradual he will complete it if he is not in a hurry

He can as well sell the car and add to the building project

A car is not a must but a house or shelter is a must, by the time he is done with the building project, he will decide which car he wants and start saving toward it to avoid buying a car that is cheap but parts are not available

Having a car makes you to spend more to put it on the road

Having a shelter saves you from become a permanent tenant and saves more money from rent

2 Likes

Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by treatise: 1:23pm On Feb 26, 2023
frozen70:

I think car is a luxury and having a building project from start to finish is more useful as one day you will need to have yoor own shelter

I suggest he starts planning on getting a land and start something there that gradual he will complete it if he is not in a hurry

He can as well sell the car and add to the building project

A car is not a must but a house or shelter is a must, by the time he is done with the building project, he will decide which car he wants and start saving toward it to avoid buying a car that is cheap but parts are not available

Having a car makes you to spend more to put it on the road

Having a shelter saves you from become a permanent tenant and saves more money from rent

The guy already has a car(Mazda) but the parts can only be sourced outside of the state where we are working ( it takes days to get parts of the car hence, the desire to buy a car which parts are readily available-in this case, Toyota corolla)
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by Richy4(m): 1:41pm On Feb 26, 2023
Between Depreciation and Appreciation in long run of Assets, which do you think is the better choice OP?

1 Like

Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by LittleBigDick(m): 2:16pm On Feb 26, 2023
Use the car do Uber or bolt so that you can be earning small small from the proceedings

Building a house no beans

I spent 180m building a fokn bungalow

1 Like

Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by brain54(m): 2:21pm On Feb 26, 2023
LittleBigDick:
Use the car do Uber or bolt so that you can be earning small small from the proceedings

Building a house no beans

I spent 180m building a fokn bungalow

180 million building a bungalow…

Is that on the fu.ckn moon

Or in your sleep in dream land?

4 Likes

Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by cunny88(m): 2:32pm On Feb 26, 2023
Asgard13:

Fix the car and repaint

best advice
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by treatise: 2:46pm On Feb 26, 2023
Richy4:
Between Depreciation and Appreciation in long run of Assets, which do you think is the better choice OP?
Thanks for the question. The guy has a car already but for the rarity of parts of the car and intends replacing it with commonly used car in our location. The challenge is his current car has poor second-hand value and getting a corolla would necessitate augmenting reasonable sum. He's now ambivalent-replacing the car or start a building with the money he'd have used to augment.
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by Richy4(m): 2:49pm On Feb 26, 2023
brain54:

180 million building a bungalow…

Is that on the fu.ckn moon

Or in your sleep in dream land?
🚑🚑💊🤓🤓🙈🙊
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by Richy4(m): 3:05pm On Feb 26, 2023
treatise:

Thanks for the question. The guy has a car already but for the rarity of parts of the car and intends replacing it with commonly used car in our location. The challenge is his current car has poor second-hand value and getting a corolla would necessitate augmenting reasonable sum. He's now ambivalent-replacing the car or start a building with the money he'd have used to augment.

Is it only one mechanic that they got in his suburbs? Maybe he should look elsewhere

If he is not using the vehicle for production purposes, like Uber or others, and he decides to sink that money into something as depreciating as car parts...The opportunity cost is just smiling big time..

2 Likes

Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by treatise: 3:19pm On Feb 26, 2023
Richy4:

Is it only one mechanic that they got in his suburbs? Maybe he should look elsewhere

If he is not using the vehicle for production purposes, like Uber or others, and he decides to sink that money into something as depreciating as car parts...The opportunity cost is just smiling big time..
Noted for discussion with him tomorrow.
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by treatise: 4:14pm On Feb 26, 2023
Asgard13:

Start the building project first.. money sabi find route to who utilize am well

Before he finish ..
He will buy car..
Thank you.
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by frozen70(f): 4:15pm On Feb 26, 2023
treatise:

The guy already has a car(Mazda) but the parts can only be sourced outside of the state where we are working ( it takes days to get parts of the car hence, the desire to buy a car which parts are readily available-in this case, Toyota corolla)

Let him follow his heart
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by Fahvvy: 4:23pm On Feb 26, 2023
Use current car for Uber, then buy a land with the money he would've used to buy another car...
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by treatise: 4:28pm On Feb 26, 2023
Richy4:

The challenge is the car parts. What broke the camel's back was steering rack which took over a week to be delivered from Lagos. The local mechanic told him it would cost him 50k but he got it in Lagos at 28k from a customer he met in jiji marketplace.
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by Rubbiish(m): 4:37pm On Feb 26, 2023
@ treatise
You can see everyone is saying the same thing, house is a better choice if the car is not going to be use for transportation. But, I would like to ask if this money is one off or it is savings from his earnings. If it is savings from his earnings, that means ur friend has a reliable source of income & should start the house project. But if it is one off, from like a contract & he is not sure of his next contract, he should only get a land, so he can resell in future if need be & not tie down his funds.

Because to build house no be moi moi oh, u must be constantly earning before u can complete a house. Once him start this project, at some point he will regret why he started in the first place due to cost of building materials, that is how frustrating it can get. He should ensure his earnings are constant to a large extent before engaging in any building project. But he should first get the land.

1 Like

Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by treatise: 5:24pm On Feb 26, 2023
Rubbiish:
@ treatise
You can see everyone is saying the same thing, house is a better choice if the car is not going to be use for transportation. But, I would like to ask if this money is one off or it is savings from his earnings. If it is savings from his earnings, that means ur friend has a reliable source of income & should start the house project. But if it is one off, from like a contract & he is not sure of his next contract, he should only get a land, so he can resell in future if need be & not tie down his funds.

Because to build house no be moi moi oh, u must be constantly earning before u can complete a house. Once him start this project, at some point he will regret why he started in the first place due to cost of building materials, that is how frustrating it can get. He should ensure his earnings are constant to a large extent before engaging in any building project. But he should first get the land.
grin Chai. This is balanced submission ; his monthly salary is handsome and I believe the funds is largely from his earnings.
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by Angrygoat: 6:24pm On Feb 26, 2023
He should sell the car and buy another. Building materials,cement,rod,etc everything cost. Even 10m sef won't build a mini standard 60 by 120 house.
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by treatise: 7:10pm On Feb 26, 2023
Angrygoat:
He should sell the car and buy another. Building materials,cement,rod,etc everything cost. Even 10m sef won't build a mini standard 60 by 120 house.
Thanks for the submission, this was his reservation that made him to approach me. I had similar line of thought like yours. I know he can save 100k monthly from his monthly which gave me the impression he can save towards changing his car whilst he starts his building quest now.
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by Rubbiish(m): 7:52pm On Feb 26, 2023
treatise:

Thanks for the submission, this was his reservation that made him to approach me. I had similar line of thought like yours. I know he can save 100k monthly from his monthly which gave me the impression he can save towards changing his car whilst he starts his building quest now.
If that is the case, he can start saving for car after getting a land. Building a house isn't something that is done in a hurry & if he so much desire to change his car, that might be affecting his happiness subconsciously because he may always be thinking about the car. I will suggest he can get a land, save towards his car & add to the remaining balance from the land purchase. Once he is able to get a car, he can start moulding blocks gradually. Building project is a gradual process.
Re: Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building by Nobody: 11:13pm On Feb 26, 2023
Start a building biko. No say i no warn you o

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is Good To Have A Good Lifepartner? / Money Management in Marriage / Did You Ever Wet The Bed, If You Did, At What Age Did You Stop?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.