Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,140 members, 7,811,210 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience (7449 Views)

Banned From UK, Can I Still Get A Schengen Visa ? / 3rd Mainland Bridge Closure, Please Share Your Experience And Alternative Routes / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by MT: 12:40pm On Mar 11, 2023
Nigerians are no more rushing the UK student visa, knowing fully well the cost involve and the challenges, and uncertainties that lie ahead once they are there. The rush now is for UK Carer Visa, with the cost to get COS (Certificate of Sponsorship) going as high as 13Million naira at the moment.

Is this amount worth it ?

I have interacted with some who have crossed to the UK using this visa and their experiences have largely not been positive. Most of the agencies are not getting enough job to make them pay the minimum wage for that class of visa as reuired by the UK immigration law. Many of these individuals are stressed out on the job, and regretting why they spent so muh more to come to the UK in the first instance.

I know it cannot be all gloom as some are might be actually enjoying it.

For the sake of those people trying to make this decision, can the carers who are in the UK share their honest opinions about their experiences over there.

1 Like

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:00pm On Mar 11, 2023
Why would anyone spend 13 million to move to a shithole like the UK to clean white people yansh. I am all for japa but this one no follow o.

25 Likes

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by ttmacoy: 2:41pm On Mar 11, 2023
It's a shitty job with very very bad pay and conditions. They are simply taking advantage of the desperation of people to fill jobs their people don't want to do, and it is made worse by greedy and unscrupulous Nigerians also taking advantage of their people by making people pay large sums just so they can be sponsored. That 13m you mentioned does not go to the government but stays with the care company owner.

I saw one offer myself, they are paying about GBP25k to work 6 days a week with 20 days annual leave, and if you leave within 3 years they will charge you GBP 2k - 3k. You also need to have a car so you can drive to client houses. That's slave wage.

On the other hand the benefits are you will get the work permit sponsorship and start the 5 year count for permanent residency, time spent on student visa does not count towards permanent residency requirements. Also your spouse will also have a work permit so can hopefully get a better job to improve your household income because I know many people who have not been able to get good jobs as the companies don't want to sponsor so they have to settle for lower paid jobs, and kids will get free school etc.

Many people are struggling to get good jobs via the student visa route, and it is not helped by many Nigerians seeking cheaper universities with easier entry requirements, and while cheaper its still expensive to the average Nigerian.

The UK is supposed to start a similar visa for teachers as well soon, a bit better work than carer, but similar shit pay and dealing with badly behaved students and you can't respond like you would in Nigeria so it can be a frustrating job but it's still better than carer especially for those who truly want to be teachers.

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by ednut1(m): 2:41pm On Mar 11, 2023
MT:
Nigerians are no more rushing the UK student visa, knowing fully well the cost involve and the challenges, and uncertainties that lie ahead once they are there. The rush now is for UK Carer Visa, with the cost to get COS (Certificate of Sponsorship) going as high as 13Million naira at the moment.

I have interacted with some who have crossed to the UK using this visa and their experiences have largely not been positive. Most of the agencies are not getting enough job to make them pay the minimum wage for that class of visa as reuired by the UK immigration law. Many of these individuals are stressed out on the job, and regretting why they spent so muh more to come to the UK in the first instance.

For the sake of those people trying to make this decision, can the carers who are in the UK share their honest opinions about their experiences over there.
nothing you say or do will change people’s mind. It’s stupidity to use 13m if true to go do care work. Why not go learn nursing or tech with that money.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by MT: 2:51pm On Mar 11, 2023
ttmacoy:
It's a shitty job with very very bad pay and conditions. They are simply taking advantage of the desperation of people to fill jobs their people don't want to do, and it is made worse by greedy and unscrupulous Nigerians also taking advantage of their people by making people pay large sums just so they can be sponsored. That 13m you mentioned does not go to the government but stays with the care company owner.

I saw one offer myself, they are paying about GBP25k to work 6 days a week with 20 days annual leave, and if you leave within 3 years they will charge you GBP 2k - 3k. You also need to have a car so you can drive to client houses. That's slave wage.

On the other hand the benefits are you will get the work permit sponsorship and start the 5 year count for permanent residency, time spent on student visa does not count towards permanent residency requirements. Also your spouse will also have a work permit so can hopefully get a better job to improve your household income because I know many people who have not been able to get good jobs as the companies don't want to sponsor so they have to settle for lower paid jobs, and kids will get free school etc.

Many people are struggling to get good jobs via the student visa route, and it is not helped by many Nigerians seeking cheaper universities with easier entry requirements, and while cheaper its still expensive to the average Nigerian.

What about those that are there and the care agencies are already paying lesser than the minimum requirements. Have they not breached the law? Will home office renew for them or approve the indefifinte to remain for them when the time comes. I know UK are not immigration friendly and there must be a catch in this newly designed scheme which seems like they want foreigners in.

Pay 13million naira for COS, to me, is unreasonable.

5 Likes

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by ttmacoy: 3:09pm On Mar 11, 2023
I'm not sure what's going to happen to the ones already there but they should be on similar pay already especially if they were sponsored as there are minimum wage requirements. Care jobs pay very close to minimum wage, don't forget the wage I said is for 45 hours over 6 days not 5. And this does not include time it takes to drive from place to place.

The catch is they need immigrants to fill certain jobs like care jobs so its a transaction, you do the shitty job and get permanent residency leading to citizenship for you and your family. For the teacher scheme, they are facing a hiring crisis with many teachers quitting and they are
struggling to replace them hence why the visa scheme.

And yes I agree paying N13m is ridiculous and excessive. The offer I mentioned that I saw didn't charge them for sponsorship thankfully.

Also did you know the people will still have to pay visa fees on top of the N13m That's excessive and purely due to the greed of the care company owners and the desperation of people.

MT:

What about those that are there and the care agencies are already paying lesser than the minimum requirements. Have they not breached the law? Will home office renew for them or approve the indefifinte to remain for them when the time comes. I know UK are not immigration friendly and there must be a catch in this newly designed scheme which seems like they want foreigners in.

Pay 13million naira for COS, to me, is unreasonable.

3 Likes

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by MT: 3:20pm On Mar 11, 2023
ttmacoy:
I'm not sure what's going to happen to the ones already there but they should be on similar pay already especially if they were sponsored as there are minimum wage requirements. Care jobs pay very close to minimum wage, don't forget the wage I said is for 45 hours over 6 days not 5. And this does not include time it takes to drive from place to place.

The catch is they need immigrants to fill certain jobs like care jobs so its a transaction, you do the shitty job and get permanent residency leading to citizenship for you and your family. For the teacher scheme, they are facing a hiring crisis with many teachers quitting and they are
struggling to replace them hence why the visa scheme.

And yes I agree paying N13m is ridiculous and excessive. The offer I mentioned that I saw didn't charge them for sponsorship thankfully.

Also did you know the people will still have to pay visa fees on top of the N13m That's excessive and purely due to the greed of the care company owners and the desperation of people.

Thanks for shedding more lights.

However, the experience of most people now is that once they get to the UK, they realise that the care homes are not really serious ones. They dont have jobs to bring those people from Nigeria that are being sponsored, which makes these individuals unable to meet with the legal minimum wage requirements.

And you know the home office has advanced information system that exposes all these for each individuals. Having breached the contract of minimum wage, will the UK still approve their Indefinite Leave to Remain when the time comes.

A lot of people fall into this category.

1 Like

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 4:25pm On Mar 11, 2023
This is going to be a very insightful thread. I just hope it garners honest responses as expected.

Who in their right mind will pay such an exorbitant amount to travel to the UK in the name of a carer’s job? Not that there's anything wrong with the job, but the financial investment just to get a COS is out of the window and outrageous. Been seeing such rounding the internet and several travel groups on my space and it is so mind-boggling. I'll rather use that money to get a Finland study visa where I know I'll be granted Permanent Residency after studies than go slave away in the UK at the expense of some selfish recruiters.

The UK isn't glamorous as people paint it, maybe the easiest country to get into as they need your money. If I had such an amount of money and was given several choices to pick from, the UK will come last. Most Nigerians aren't wise after all. JAPA by hook or crook. As long as the JAPA journey is fulfilled, they don't care.

Even read the story of a man and his nuclear family inclusive of 5 kids who had to sell their landed properties and cars just to relocate to the UK on a study visa. Now, he's stuck and risks being deported as he and his wife’s incomes can not cater for a family of 7. Plummeted his entire family into perpetual suffering and the wrong decision that should have been thought through and avoided in the first place. They'll learn.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by AfahaAbia(m): 4:31pm On Mar 11, 2023
Nigerians now moving to the UK to be Houseboys and House Girls Nigeria is in trouble

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 4:37pm On Mar 11, 2023
AfahaAbia:
Nigerians now moving to the UK to be Houseboys and House Girls Nigeria is in trouble

Carers aren't maids.

3 Likes

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by ednut1(m): 4:45pm On Mar 11, 2023
UyaiIncomparabl:
This is going to be a very insightful thread. I just hope it garners honest responses as expected.

Who in their right mind will pay such an exorbitant amount to travel to the UK in the name of a carer’s job? Not that there's anything wrong with the job, but the financial investment just to get a COS is out of the window and outrageous. Been seeing such rounding the internet and several travel groups on my space and it is so mind-boggling. I'll rather use that money to get a Finland study visa where I know I'll be granted Permanent Residency after studies than go slave away in the UK at the expense of some selfish recruiters.

The UK isn't glamorous as people paint it, maybe the easiest country to get into as they need your money. If I had such an amount of money and was given several choices to pick from, the UK will come last. Most Nigerians aren't wise after all. JAPA by hook or crook. As long as the JAPA journey is fulfilled, they don't care.

Even read the story of a man and his nuclear family inclusive of 5 kids who had to sell their landed properties and cars just to relocate to the UK on a study visa. Now, he's stuck and risks being deported as he and his wife’s incomes can not cater for a family of 7. Plummeted his entire family into perpetual suffering and the wrong decision that should have been thought through and avoided in the first place. They'll learn.
the story you quoted it was the wife who pressured them into going to uk, she is still owing school fees plus wasn’t aware they no will no still spend over 9k to 11k pounds for that post study 2 years visa. Madness

3 Likes

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by MT: 5:22pm On Mar 11, 2023
To be honest, in my last trip to the UK this year, I met some of them lamenting ever coming. The investment to get this COS does not make sense.

I even saw a man who has been practising as a Medical doctor for like 7 years in the National Hospital, Abuja that came via the student route. Before he finished his masters programme, he paid an agency 8million to get COS for care work and he is now working as a carer.

Till date, I cannot wrap my head around it.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by AfahaAbia(m): 5:23pm On Mar 11, 2023
UyaiIncomparabl:

Carers aren't maids.

They are very similar. I just saw a video on Instagram of a Nigerian carer who was yapping about how her white employer refused her using the toilet in her home. She even said that she had to leave home very early under the blistering cold and snow to work for this lady! Isn't that worse than slavery

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by MT: 5:25pm On Mar 11, 2023
ednut1:
the story you quoted it was the wife who pressured them into going to uk, she is still owing school fees plus wasn’t aware they no will no still spend over 9k to 11k pounds for that post study 2 years visa. Madness

Post study for a family of 7 will cost between 14K GBP to 15k GBP. Real madness like you stated

2 Likes

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by justwise(m): 5:29pm On Mar 11, 2023
MT:

Who is stupid enough to pay that amount?

3 Likes

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by AfahaAbia(m): 5:30pm On Mar 11, 2023
@justwise please move to front page. We need more insight to this.

1 Like

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by MT: 5:31pm On Mar 11, 2023
justwise:

Lot of people are paying it. The agency will not even ask for it to be paid in installment, it is a one-time payment.

2 Likes

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by justwise(m): 5:32pm On Mar 11, 2023
MT:

Post study for a family of 7 will cost between 14K GBP to 15k GBP. Real madness like you stated

That figure is not even enough for one person let alone 7. so i'm not sure you know what you are talking about

1 Like

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by justwise(m): 5:33pm On Mar 11, 2023
AfahaAbia:
@justwise please move to front page. We need more insight to this.

No we don't

1 Like

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by MT: 5:34pm On Mar 11, 2023
justwise:

That figure is not even enough for one person let alone 7. so i'm not sure you know what you are talking about

Post Study cost 2k GBP approximately for one person.
Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by AfahaAbia(m): 5:35pm On Mar 11, 2023
justwise:
[/b]

No we don't

Okay Sir😄😄
Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by justwise(m): 5:59pm On Mar 11, 2023
MT:

Post Study cost 2k GBP approximately for one person.

Ok, thought you were referring to study visa for family of 7
Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by justwise(m): 6:07pm On Mar 11, 2023
UyaiIncomparabl:

Why will they be deported simply because they are struggling to feed their family ?

1 Like

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by Gerrard59(m): 6:09pm On Mar 11, 2023
Is the UK really that bad? Abi, no be Nigerians dey attend London School of Economics, Imperial College London, Cambridge University etc., I read daily? Shey London is a major financial centre and tech jobs brekete in the country? Things should not be that bad na.

tensazangetsu20:
Why would anyone spend 13 million to move to a shithole like the UK to clean white people yansh. I am all for japa but this one no follow o.

I am yet to meet anyone who loathes the UK like you do. grin grin
Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:11pm On Mar 11, 2023
Gerrard59:
Is the UK really that bad? Abi, no be Nigerians dey attend London School of Economics, Imperial College London, Cambridge University etc., I read daily? Shey London is a major financial centre and tech jobs brekete in the country? Things should not be that bad na.

The country is beyond useless and to be honest I don't even regard UK schools even the top institutions. Present inec chairman came from Cambridge both masters and PhD and see how unintelligent he looks, sounds and even works. Femi fani kayode also went to Cambridge. The list is endless. I dont think there's any quality education to be had from the UK judging from the crop of Nigerians who are educated there. It's not like the USA

11 Likes

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by Gerrard59(m): 6:23pm On Mar 11, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

The country is beyond useless and to be honest I don't even regard UK schools even the top institutions. Present inec chairman came from Cambridge both masters and PhD and see how unintelligent he looks, sounds and even works. Femi fani kayode also went to Cambridge. The list is endless. I dont think there's any quality education to be had from the UK judging from the crop of Nigerians who are educated there. It's not like the USA

I just checked, and he also attended Oxford o

4 Likes

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by justwise(m): 6:36pm On Mar 11, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

The UK a shithole? Only the poor can say that.

5 Likes

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by Raalsalghul: 6:51pm On Mar 11, 2023
justwise:

Better believe it.

There are people like that.

I have heard something like this in some quarters.

1 Like

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by ednut1(m): 6:54pm On Mar 11, 2023
Gerrard59:

the doctors , auditors, tech people and nurses wey go uk. Are they complaining The people majority complaining are the students and carers.

2 Likes

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by Raalsalghul: 7:03pm On Mar 11, 2023
UyaiIncomparabl:
Most Nigerians aren't wise after all. JAPA by hook or crook. As long as the JAPA journey is fulfilled, they don't care.

This has always been the problem and not U.K as people like Tensazangetsu20 will opine. Unwise Nigerians!

This further buttresses my point that unwise Nigerians who don't research or plan very well are actually the problem and not U.K whose only fault is making their visas easily obtainable.

Common research (as simple as watching YouTube videos and browsing the gov.uk site) would have informed the man about the difficulties of taking care of a family of seven especially in a country like U.K where they don't joke with childcare. In addition, he would also have to worry about paying the post-study visa (about 2000 pounds) for each member of his family.

So I'm asking why blaming U.K for your stupidity?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience by Sweetvie: 7:05pm On Mar 11, 2023
Hmm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Kosovo(eu) A Visa Free To Nigeria? / Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights / Seven Drown In Lagos Within A Week, Says PPRO

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.