Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa (6683 Views)

Hyundai Heavy Says Not Building Nigerian Shipyard: What A Debacle! / Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa / Hyundai Heavy: No Plan To Build Shipyard In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by Beaf: 8:29pm On Sep 15, 2011
[size=14pt]Hyundai Heavy to build $7billion shipyard in Nigeria[/size]
Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:08pm GMT 

ABUJA (Reuters) - South Korean group Hyundai Heavy Industries plans to build a $7 billion shipyard in Nigeria's oil region next year, the company's president said on Thursday.
The world's largest shipbuilder said while construction on the project would begin in 2012, it had already begun clearing the land in Bayelsa, the home state of President Goodluck Jonathan in the heart of the oil-rich Niger Delta wetlands.

"My company is going to $7 billion in Nigeria in the building of a shipyard," Jai-Seong Lee told reporters at the presidential villa following a meeting with Jonathan.

Lee said the first phase would be completed by 2014. The shipyard will provide services to oil companies operating in Africa's largest energy industry.

The Bayelsa state governor said the government would not invest in the project but it had given Hyundai the land and would build a road to the shipyard.

"For us, the gain is in the jobs they are going to create and the taxes they will be paying to us when they commence operating the shipyard after completion," said Timipre Sylva.

http://af.reuters.com/article/investingNews/idAFJOE78E0LU20110915
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by Beaf: 8:33pm On Sep 15, 2011
The first ever oil rig to be serviced in Nigeria was towed all the way to Apapa a few weeks ago. Hopefully Hyundai's shipyard will be able to handle such tasks so there will be no need to tow oil rigs out of the Niger Delta all the way to Lagos or elsewhere.

Nice development.
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:10pm On Sep 15, 2011
We can achieve a lot as a country if only there's peace. Imagine a peaceful Nigeria with a government allowed (by the born-to-rule and embittered cabal) to get on with the job of creating development. Imagine tourists flocking to Nigeria and feeling free to go anywhere from the vast and open vistas of the north, to the exciting rolling hills and forests of the south, and down to the coastal tourist hot-spots of Badagry, Calabar and Uyo- meeting friendly and happy Nigerians wherever they go.

Just imagine!!!
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by aljharem3: 9:14pm On Sep 15, 2011
PROUD-IGBO:

We can achieve a lot as a country if only there's peace. Imagine a peaceful Nigeria with a government allowed (by the born-to-rule and embittered cabal) to get on with the job of creating development. Imagine tourists flocking to Nigeria and feeling free to go anywhere from the vast and open vistas of the north, to the exciting rolling hills and forests of the south, and down to the coastal tourist hot-spots of Badagry, Calabar and Uyo- meeting friendly and happy Nigerians wherever they go.

Just imagine!!!

very correct

that is way i look at how OBJ, IBB, ken nnamdi, Jonathan are all friends and think to myself. this cabals are not tribalistic at all. they have passed that stage and see how they can explore the masses which is us.

thus into we the masses are fighting over land, tribe and what not.
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by efisher(m): 9:49pm On Sep 15, 2011
HHI shipyard in 9ja? This is a masterstroke. I await execution and commissioning.
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by GoldCircle: 10:24pm On Sep 15, 2011
This is the best piece of news I have heard since Jonathan assumed office 2 years ago even as acting president. It's obvious he influenced the project to be sited in his home state of Bayelsa. Anyways kudos! according to the leader of the Hyundai delegation, the 1st phase of the project will employ at least 2,000 Nigerians.

Good step I must say! we need more. . .
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by okadaman2: 10:44pm On Sep 15, 2011
Beaf:

The first ever oil rig to be serviced in Nigeria was towed all the way to Apapa a few weeks ago. Hopefully Hyundai's shipyard will be able to handle such tasks so there will be no need to tow oil rigs out of the Niger Delta all the way to Lagos or elsewhere.

Nice development.

Why not? What if they have the port facility to fix it? They should compete too now.

My bro, Lagos needs business, jobs and taxes too. Don't they?

While there is nothing wrong with your advocacy here on behalf of Bayelsa and Niger Delta people, just know that the statement in bold will take money out of the hands of those who need it in Lagos and "elsewhere"

That is the kind of statement I expect from Senators, Reps and Governors, but not from the Federal Government o!!

I know you made that statement to support Niger Delta, nothing wrong with that at all.  Bayelsa deserves all the jobs and money they can attract, and you as a private citizen or a bayelsa Public official have every right to push that.

But I hope GEJ or anybody in federal government will not say anything like that.  shocked

I'm just highlighting that point before somebody writes that line in My President's speech,  abeg make dem nor fall my president hand o.
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by Beaf: 11:18pm On Sep 15, 2011
okada_man:

Why not? What if they have the port facility to fix it? They should compete too now.

My bro, Lagos needs business, jobs and taxes too. Don't they?

While there is nothing wrong with your advocacy here on behalf of Bayelsa and Niger Delta people, just know that the statement in bold will take money out of the hands of those who need it in Lagos and "elsewhere"

That is the kind of statement I expect from Senators, Reps and Governors, but not from the Federal Government o!!

I know you made that statement to support Niger Delta, nothing wrong with that at all.  Bayelsa deserves all the jobs and money they can attract, and you as a private citizen or a bayelsa Public official have every right to push that.

But I hope GEJ or anybody in federal government will not say anything like that.  shocked

I'm just highlighting that point before somebody writes that line in My President's speech,  abeg make dem nor fall my president hand o.

What do you mean Federal Government? I only expressed my opinion, I keep begging you people to accept my opinions as mine. I'm really bothered about it; the nonsense started during the election period when some people felt the best way to go against logic was to personalise every discussion and pidgeonhole opponents. Unfortunately, many love such far out tales, so Beaf has become the Federal Government on Nairaland. It isn't funny.
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by funkybaby(f): 11:26pm On Sep 15, 2011
Beaf:

What do you mean Federal Government? I only expressed my opinion, I keep begging [/b]you people to accept my opinions as mine. [b]I'm really bothered about it; the nonsense started during the election period when some people felt the best way to go against logic was to personalise every discussion and pidgeonhole opponents. Unfortunately, many love such far out tales, so Beaf has become the Federal Government on Nairaland. It isn't funny.

Awwwwwwwwwwww.  sad sad sad sad cry cry cry cry grin grin grin grin grin

Pele ti e ****gives hug*****  tongue

But seriously, na you cause am for yaself.

The way you went on and on and on and on and on about PDP and GEJ.

We all thought you are his ''senior special adviser for online affairs''  tongue undecided
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by okadaman2: 12:13am On Sep 16, 2011
^
You are funny  grin

Beaf:

What do you mean Federal Government? I only expressed my opinion, I keep begging you people to accept my opinions as mine. I'm really bothered about it; the nonsense started during the election period when some people felt the best way to go against logic was to personalise every discussion and pidgeonhole opponents. Unfortunately, many love such far out tales, so Beaf has become the Federal Government on Nairaland. It isn't funny.

I get you loud and clear now. You have every right to express your opinion without anyone calling you an FG mouth piece.

I personally don't think you speak for any of them bro until you say so yourself. Apologies if you read that assumption in my post.
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by NatGas(m): 7:55am On Sep 16, 2011
What is the population of Lagos? and what is the population of Delta,Bayelsa,Rivers and Cross River?these are all coastal states.GEJ is clueless in Job creation.the ports in these 4 Niger Delta states are working far below their capacity,why?militancy?I don't think so! that is why all attention turns to Lagos.let GEJ open all the ports in these Niger Delta states and u will be talking of massive job creation and rapid development.Its funny to think no ship yard in the whole of Niger Delta where all the Oil is located.
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by doctokwus: 8:42am On Sep 16, 2011
$7b shipyard in bayelsÀ? I av my suspicions
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by Beaf: 8:58am On Sep 16, 2011
doctokwus:

Why? Maybe you don't realise how much Bayelsa gives this country. I wonder what place you think is better for Hyundai to build their oil servicing shipyard.
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by Phrankin(m): 9:19am On Sep 16, 2011
$7 billion! Are we dreaming? Or maybe they actually mean yen or naira
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by VoodooDoll(m): 9:24am On Sep 16, 2011
$7bn shipyard.

That's good news, but over what time period would this be built (the link suggests phases).  Also how much would be invested at each phase.

$7bn is around 10x Hyundai's 2010 profits (of $0.7bn - http://hyundaigroup.com/eng/index.html) so a huge bet on their part. As much as I would like to cheer this I have seen too many announcements with zero follow through or implementation.
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by dustydee: 9:28am On Sep 16, 2011
Good one. More jobs will be created. At this rate, Bayelsa will be a force to reckon with in the next 10 years. I hope the skills acquisition programme works well and I hope the people will be warm to visitors from ALL parts of the country like Lagos is.
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by otokx(m): 9:35am On Sep 16, 2011
when is completion date?
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by tunde300us(m): 9:42am On Sep 16, 2011
There is one giant floating barge at CMS, is that what beaf is referring to as an oil rig abi na me no sabi am well, cos am not an oil expert.
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by peleson: 9:57am On Sep 16, 2011
THESE ARE THE KIND OF DEVELOPMENT THE NORTHERN LEADERS HATE TO HEAR HENCE BOKO HARAM IS ON THE INCREASE, LOL, AM EXPECTING MORE .THIS IS JUST A TIP. www.1jobnigeria.com
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by ayokunle3(m): 10:00am On Sep 16, 2011
Hyundai Heavy: No Plan To Build Shipyard In Nigeria

Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. (009540.SE), the world's largest shipbuilder by orders, said Friday it has no plan to build a shipyard in Nigeria, flatly denying reports of a $7 billion development in the African country.
"We have not considered building a shipyard outside the country and don't have such a plan in the future," a Seoul-based company spokesman told Dow Jones Newswires by telephone.
In Nigeria, Hyundai Heavy signed a memorandum of understanding with the government to construct a gas-plant equipment factory in June. Site work began in mid-September, the spokesman said.
The investment size is yet to be determined, he said.
Hyundai Heavy has two domestic shipyards in Ulsan and Gunsan

So then why this, ?

President Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday hailed South Korea's Hyundai Heavy Industries' decision to build a multi-billion dollar shipyard that can employ 2,000 locals in Nigeria.
The completion of the facility next year will boost Nigeria's economic development and create jobs for the local population, a statement from his office quoted Jonathan as saying at a meeting with the company's president, Jai-Seong Lee.
More than 30 million Nigerians, or 20 percent of the population, are unemployed, according to recent official figures.
"Hyundai has a long-standing relationship with Nigeria. You have always played a key role in our economy, especially our oil industry. We appreciate what you have done and are elated by your latest investment," the president said.
Lee said that on completion, the first phase of the Shipyard in Brass, in Jonathan's Bayelsa home state, will provide employment for at least 2,000 Nigerians, the statement said.

http://www.oyibosonline.com/cgi-bin/newsscript.pl?record=9509
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by VoodooDoll(m): 10:04am On Sep 16, 2011
^^^ Chai,

There was also no news on Hyundai's website. A $7bn investment would be headlines on their website,

Hmm,
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by blank(f): 10:07am On Sep 16, 2011
So, what of NIGERDOCK? It was meant to build ships and such like. SO they have killed NIGERDOCK abi? After all the money spent there. Naija we hail thee.
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by mallorca(m): 10:12am On Sep 16, 2011
why Bayelsa
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:15am On Sep 16, 2011
blank:

So, what of NIGERDOCK? It was meant to build ships and such like. SO they have killed NIGERDOCK abi? After all the money spent there. Naija we hail thee.

I believe Nigerdock is doing just fine
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by mrjingles(m): 10:33am On Sep 16, 2011
Beaf's post is from Reuters a respected news service, the post on oyibosonline has no link to any credible news source. Who shd we believe? Reuters or an unknown webpage?
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by Beaf: 10:35am On Sep 16, 2011
VoodooDoll:

^^^ Chai,

There was also no news on Hyundai's website. A $7bn investment would be headlines on their website,

Hmm,  

Here is the same news in Portuguese from Brazil. Its all over the World in all languages.

Hyundai Heavy construirá estaleiro de US$7 bi na Nigéria
quinta-feira, 15 de setembro de 2011 16:34 BRT  
Imprimir[-] Texto [+] ABUJA (Reuters) - O grupo sul-coreano Hyundai Heavy planeja construir um estaleiro de 7 bilhões de dólares em uma região petrolífera da Nigéria no próximo ano, disse o presidente da companhia nesta quinta-feira.
A maior construtora de navios do mundo disse que embora a construção do projeto possa começar em 2012, a empresa já iniciou a preparação do terreno em Bayelsa, estado natal do presidente do país, Goodluck Jonathan, no coração da região do Delta nigeriano, rica em petróleo.

"Minha companhia vai colocar 7 bilhões de dólares na Nigéria na construção do estaleiro" disse Jai-Seong Lee a repórteres na residência presidencial, em um encontro com Jonathan.

Lee disse que a primeira fase deve estar completa em 2014. O estaleiro vai fornecer serviços para companhias de petróleo que operam na maior indústria de energia da África.

O governador do Estado de Bayelsa, Timipre Sylva, disse que o governo pode não investir no projeto, mas que deu à Hyundai o terreno e pode construir uma rodovia para o estaleiro.

"Para nós, o que interessa é a geração de empregos e o pagamento de impostos a partir do início da operação do estaleiro", disse Timipre Sylva.

http://br.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idBRSPE78E0M720110915
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by COMPAQ(m): 10:36am On Sep 16, 2011
Yawn!!! Next!! The newspapers are always full of "Govt to, ", "FG inaugurates, ", "Govt earmarks, ", "FG discusses with, ", "Govt intends to, "

When are we going to start seen "Govt commissions, ", "FG completes, ", "Govt opens, " and the like, which indicate project completion and not project take off!!
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:43am On Sep 16, 2011
^^^
Thank you jor
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by ayokunle3(m): 10:49am On Sep 16, 2011
Cloud hangs over HHI's shipyard plan in Nigeria

Abuja: Hyundai Heavy Industries' plans to build a $7bn shipyard in Nigeria are mired in doubts after conflicting statements from the shipbuilder's officials, reports said.

The South Korean shipbuilder was reportedly planning to build a $7bn shipyard in Nigeria to provide services to oil companies operating in Africa's largest energy industry.

Lee Jai-Seong, president of HHI, told reporters that the first phase of the project would be completed by 2014. The shipyard is sited at southern state Bayelsa in the Niger Delta region.

Another Seoul-based company spokesman, however, said HHI has not considered building a shipyard outside South Korea and does not have such a plan in the future. [16/09/11]

http://www.seatrade-asia.com//News/7635.html
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by coded777: 11:03am On Sep 16, 2011
Rubbish !
Re: Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa by doctokwus: 11:16am On Sep 16, 2011
doctokwus:

[/quote
My well thot out suspicions av bn vindicated.Some pple tink a comp will jst wake up one day and pump$7b into a project;and i heard our presido applauded w/o gettin details,says a lot of who we are,applauding on hear

say

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Investments Anti-scam/fraud Guide / NNPC Signs Agreement With Shell, Seplat, Oando, Others To Implement $3.7bn Gas / ***we Buy Old Car, Scrap And Aluminum***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.