Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,837 members, 7,828,054 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

Who Knows About Cargo Business? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Who Knows About Cargo Business? (5330 Views)

Port Harcourt Airport Loses N4.7b Cargo Revenue — Adewunmi / Who Knows About Epay Please? Have I Been Duped? / Who Knows About Forever Living Products? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Knows About Cargo Business? by Vicky96: 2:03pm On Sep 16, 2011
Hello my people, i need to know much about cargo business can someone please help.
i'll appreciate great ides from great minds like you.

1 Like

Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by waleco: 2:29pm On Oct 03, 2011
still waiting

1 Like

Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by Vicky96: 12:24pm On Oct 17, 2011
Pls can somebody help here, still pending

1 Like

Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by Vicky96: 2:32pm On Oct 21, 2011
still waiting for suggestions

1 Like

Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by mindonmine: 8:36am On Oct 23, 2011
What exactly will you like to know. Email me @ infinity.xtacy@yahoo.com
Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by biggieman: 10:52am On Oct 23, 2011
Cargo Business can be a very lucrative business if you invest proper planning and capital into it. I can only inform you about cargo business via the Airport because there lies my strength. To Start with you need a reliable freight forwarder(could be from any country of your interest), a license clearing agent, and a good client base.

2 Likes

Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by Vicky96: 1:16pm On Oct 28, 2011
Tanx a million biggie it seems am getting a bit relieve here. Am an oliver twist pls i still need more. Am actually into travels nd tours biz but my clients are asking for cargo services so i want to know well abt it.

2 Likes

Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by Vicky96: 1:47pm On Dec 16, 2011
Pls pple i still need more insights
Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by Mboi: 10:03am On Dec 17, 2011
@biggieman

Please biggie man, can you post your email, I want to ask you something?

Thank you.
Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by theLINK: 1:00am On Dec 18, 2011
Cargo from where? as in shipping from where to where? if destination or pickup is the united states we can get talking
Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by kunlekunle: 4:07am On Dec 20, 2011
biggie

how and where do you obtain the license
Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by pendo89(f): 11:07am On Dec 20, 2011
Cargo biz sounds too shallow a term unless your talking about moving bananas from one city to another within your country.
We call it the logistics industry and its inclusive of everything import/export related.From source to destination,by sea,road or by air.
Now that is deep because there's a lot of processes involved/documentation plus its not just about cargo but the type of cargo.
Cargo is classified when it comes to logistics.Some cargo cannot be accepted in some countries, some cargo (perishables) are all about time.

Okay for a start,make sure you have the necessary qualifications because no serious shipper is going to move his goods using an unrecognised unqualified forwader.It therefore means your co.must be approved and certified before you are awarded the necessary licences to operate.

Then logistics is no joke.Its requires lots of capital.There are credit issues to consider and risks involved.Many forwaders desperate for clients undertake to ship their goods on credit in the hope that payment will be done after arrival at destination.Then whoa! the client goes missing and  goods start attracting storage charges,customs duties etc.Meanwhile the client does his calculations and decides to forget about the goods altogether esp if the amount exceeds the cost of the goods.Its just not worth it,he decides.The costs are then left with you the forwader and dont even forget you paid for shipping!!!
Now its only proper to have first time clients pay cash upfront till they have proven themselves and you can open an account with them.

Another thing you also need to consider is insurance and who pays for what. Goods are insured against stuff you wont believe esp sea goods.

Then you need to learn how to move goods by sea, the different shipping lines,(Maersk,MSC,Meditt etc)the procedures,their routes,costs and time taken from source to destination if you want to keep clients. Same applies to air.Booking and space availability,rates ,I mean if you need a fair deal,you must have a good track record with airlines and provide them with volumes as well cz in this industry everyone wants to benefit,plus the more the volumes the cheaper it is when it comes to air cargo
So before u think about cargo by air,think,frequency,volumes,rates and routes.

Finally there's stiff competition.Remember there are big players who have dominated the industry for a century. That shouldn't discourage you but you must not be too choosy with clients if you want to get up there. We all started from the bottom and proved ourselves so you can make it.
Thing is this,if you mess up with a client you are dead meat.Word spreads fast in this logistics industry because we share airlines,trucks,clients and ships.
The airlines are esp strict with payment issues so you must have a good track record. Keep it clean and professional and don't be too greedy.

Last but not least, never ever promise what you cannot deliver.You destroy trust and you may never build it again.

Okay its a mountain of stuff so study it.Unfortunatley am not in nigeria.
I work for one of the top 10 logistics companies in the world and we have partners all over the world. We do have a great partner in the oil and gas Industry there in lagos and I can tell u its one hell of a challenging job.
Go for it if you have the muscle. smiley

1 Like

Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by nirvena: 9:01pm On Dec 20, 2011
text me ur number to 08063086637. i will in turn text you the number of the person who can help you set it up.

2 Likes

Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by MrBright2: 4:28pm On Dec 21, 2011
That is my business i can help out,but i major in air freighting,now that clearing is 24hours process,it pose a challenge to other established freight forwarder now.Anybody with sound business mind can make it in big form.My contact is gbengabright@yahoo.com or 08036434082
Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by pendo89(f): 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2011
Mr.Bright:

That is my business i can help out,but i major in air freighting,now that clearing is 24hours process,it pose a challenge to other established freight forwarder now.Anybody with sound business mind can make it in big form.My contact is gbengabright@yahoo.com or 08036434082

If you are a indeed a serious forwader dont you think you ought to have a company email and better still a co. website where somebody can verify everything in detail?
why personal mails and digits? only a joker can trust you.

1 Like

Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by MrBright2: 10:44am On Dec 22, 2011
pendo89:

If you are a indeed a serious forwader dont you think you ought to have a company email and better still a co. website where somebody can verify everything in detail?
why personal mails and digits? only a joker can trust you.
The poster request for advise not for business transaction,but for enlightenment.And i did replied in that capacity.But im surprise with personal attack of "Trust" and "Joker" stuffs.To pendo 89,im on NL as a personality just like you are,i did not introduce company in my response to the post neither did you.Therefore if you want to know, i head an AIR FREIGHT DEPT. of a reputable clearing and freight forwarding outfit in Lagos with big clienteles that cut across every sectors in Nigeria.If Seun gives a column of feedback on this platform,you hear fellow NLDERS that have consulted or assisted in one way or the other,like export,import and other general advise.Pls if you require my company contact e.g site,or mail.I will do so officially.

1 Like

Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by pendo89(f): 11:13am On Dec 22, 2011
Mr.Bright:

The poster request for advise not for business transaction,but for enlightenment.And i did replied in that capacity.But im surprise with personal attack of "Trust" and "Joker" stuffs.To pendo 89,im on NL as a personality just like you are,i did not introduce company in my response to the post neither did you.Therefore if you want to know, i head an AIR FREIGHT DEPT. of a reputable clearing and freight forwarding outfit in Lagos with big clienteles that cut across every sectors in Nigeria.If Seun gives a column of feedback on this platform,you hear fellow NLDERS that have consulted or assisted in one way or the other,like export,import and other general advise.Pls if you require my company contact e.g site,or mail.I will do so officially.

Its okay, I am xtremly wary of anybody who comes in the name of a yahoo address.I am sure you won't blame me for that because not everybody out there is good.The bad people spoil for the serious ones and its not easy to trust anybody anymore unless I have gone through their website and verified everything. I think you have established a good reput.here from your comment so no need to worry about my insecurities.Apologies.

You said you work for a reputable clearing and forwading outfit? I would really love to know the names of reputable forwaders in Nigeria.
Those with muscle,have been in biz for a while,registered of course,good volumes,great facility > warehouse,handling shades etc.
Is there any website where I can check them out?

I know you are wondering why I ask.I will tell you. I am in the Africa Development department of the Logistic Co, I work for. Our work involves setting up partners all over Africa. Now we already have one in Lagos but I cant mention his name since hes into oil and gas and who knows,if you are working for them!! If you partner with these big international co.then you could be our rep.in Nigeria,who knows.
Anyway the poster seems a bit clueless. Air ticketing and Reservations is nothing close to cargo handling.I know IATA regulations extend to both professions but Cargo is complex.
Many people assume all you need is cargo and the plane or ship and voila its shipped!.

1 Like

Re: Who Knows About Cargo Business? by Vicky96: 5:36pm On Jan 29, 2012
Thanks all for your wonderful assistance but i'll still appreciate more contributions

(1) (Reply)

Oat Grain Business / CBN Continues Tightening Measures / Simple Requirements For Forming A Company In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.