Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,807 members, 7,956,063 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:22 PM

Nigeria's Economy Is At A Crossroads - World Bank - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria's Economy Is At A Crossroads - World Bank (1031 Views)

Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! / World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy / How Iran Deal Could Destroy Nigeria's Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Economy Is At A Crossroads - World Bank by Orikinla(m): 8:34pm On Sep 16, 2011
The World Bank says Nigeria is at a crossroads in a special Growth Employment and Markets in States (GEMS) Project report.

The country can choose to tackle the distortions that have reduced incentives for investment and productive activity and move towards sustainable and diversified growth. It can also build on islands of success and promising cluster initiatives and enclaves that can then pull along the rest of the economy (successfully achieved in China and India) or it can ignore the reform imperatives and pay the price of having a highly distorted, rentier economy, once oil prices fall.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is At A Crossroads - World Bank by Sunofgod(m): 8:42pm On Sep 16, 2011
. . . . once oil prices fall cheesy cheesy cheesy

Who are these people trying to fool - Long term oil prices will only go up.

(or at least until the electric car enters the mass market)
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is At A Crossroads - World Bank by OAM4J: 8:53pm On Sep 16, 2011
@OP

Can you please quote your source and if possible give us the link to the source. Thanks.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is At A Crossroads - World Bank by Nobody: 9:18pm On Sep 16, 2011
Orikinla:

once oil prices fall.[/i]
Green Energy is BOUND to replace crude oil based energy, its only a matter of time now.

When that happens, the disgraceful oil bond that has kept Nigeria together will degenerate . . .and Nigeria will naturally disintegrate.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is At A Crossroads - World Bank by koruji(m): 1:57am On Sep 17, 2011
And how long do you think that is going to take? At least several decades in my opinion.

quid:

Green Energy is BOUND to replace crude oil based energy, its only a matter of time now.

When that happens, the disgraceful oil bond that has kept Nigeria together will degenerate . . .and Nigeria will naturally disintegrate.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is At A Crossroads - World Bank by efisher(m): 2:12am On Sep 17, 2011
Obviously removal of subsidies (as we currently have it) is one of the targets of this report. . . And I support it.

On the other hand, Green or yellow, oil & gas will still play a key role in the next 100 years and I don't see oil prices crashing in the next 50 years simply because of the demand in the emerging economies. Green remains very expensive for now and will take a long time to develop and replace existing systems.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is At A Crossroads - World Bank by redsun(m): 2:52am On Sep 17, 2011
Who said the oil is still going to be there in fifty years?Oil is the residue of  billions of years of accumulated carbon materials that runs out with time as a result of man's destructive escapades,destroying himself to live.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is At A Crossroads - World Bank by efisher(m): 3:00am On Sep 17, 2011
My good friend, take this as the words of an expert: Oil will still be here in 200 years! It will only be more expensive and difficult to extract. We still have a long way to go.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is At A Crossroads - World Bank by redsun(m): 3:11am On Sep 17, 2011
How did you get your analysis?I bet you mean bits and pieces,here and there,like oasis in the desert.At the peak,we can't make good use of it,talk less of when it is dry.

Oil is suppose to power us while it last but it seems to have kept us in darkness,powerless.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is At A Crossroads - World Bank by ektbear: 8:55pm On Sep 17, 2011
I don't think oil prices will fall either (at least in the long run.) China and India are still industrializing. As this happens, they'll demand more and more energy.

Most of these green technologies aren't very effective. Either they are too expensive (e.g., solar), or just don't provide enough energy (wind.)

At the end of the day, burning the remains of dead dinosaurs (probably not the correct technical description, but whatever) is the best way to generate energy, at least for now.

(1) (Reply)

hi / Culprits Steal Dead Baby From Grave, And Shave Corpse Hair For Money Rituals / Paint Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.