Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,019 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Gsm Companies On The Stock Market - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Gsm Companies On The Stock Market (1141 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Analysis Of Results Of Companies On The Nigerian Stock Exchange / Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gsm Companies On The Stock Market by Pelican(m): 9:23pm On Aug 31, 2007
Considering the very huge returns the GSM companies are raking in everyday in Nigeria, one wonders why a percentage of their equities have not been made available to the Nigerian public. I think this is only fair to the people, and will not only make extra funds available for futher expansion, butwill also invlolve the people in so many ways. What do you think?
Re: Gsm Companies On The Stock Market by tobz(f): 9:26pm On Aug 31, 2007
Hi pelican, i think i have a huge crush on you, pls send me your fone number. i love
Re: Gsm Companies On The Stock Market by Pelican(m): 9:32pm On Aug 31, 2007
Ha, ! E gba mi ooooo! Wetin I talk, wetin I dey hear oooo. Abeg o. Make we talk about this GSM people and how to get them to come to the stock market. However , thanks for wateva. I respect your feelings and I love the power of God and His beauty in you.
Re: Gsm Companies On The Stock Market by Temmie10(m): 10:58pm On Aug 31, 2007
Pelican:

Ha, ! E gba mi ooooo! Wetin I talk, wetin I dey hear oooo. Abeg o. Make we talk about this GSM people and how to get them to come to the stock market. However , thanks for whatever. I respect your feelings and I love the power of God and His beauty in you.
hahahaha i am cracking up with laughter here,
tobz, abeg free the guy, this sudden unsolicited online love too strong hahahahaha

Pelican, On a more serious note, u have a point, MTN for instance seems to be listed on johannesburg stock exchange in south africa which is jus sick,
Re: Gsm Companies On The Stock Market by enolase(m): 2:02am On Sep 02, 2007
I heard from the grapevine that MTN's profit after tax last year was in excess of N200bn (please I am yet to confirm this figure; don't criticize me if I am wrong).

The Nigerian government should force them to the stock market. They can't just grab from Nigerians and run back to South Africa with their profits.

After all, Nigeria gives MTN the bulk of their profits in Africa.
Re: Gsm Companies On The Stock Market by Pelican(m): 7:45am On Sep 02, 2007
enolase:

I heard from the grapevine that MTN's profit after tax last year was in excess of N200bn (please I am yet to confirm this figure; don't criticize me if I am wrong).

The Nigerian government should force them to the stock market. They can't just grab from Nigerians and run back to South Africa with their profits.

After all, Nigeria gives MTN the bulk of their profits in Africa.

enolase, that's the point I'm trying to bring us to. I wonder if and how we can achieve this. Any member of the senate and house of assembly on Nairaland, or their relatives? Help us. We too want to own shares in the booming GSM industry!!!
Re: Gsm Companies On The Stock Market by joshO: 8:16am On Sep 02, 2007
TransCorp in on the exchange, MTN will be a money spinner too oneday. That's why the people at the helm of this company are insisting it's a goldmine, and will be the biggest and most profitable company in Nigeria in 4 - 5 years.

Don't expect the likes of MTN, Glo to list on the NSE. They'll claim the market isn't deep enough (in otherwords, they don't need your meagre stippends). Also, they will have no reason for sharing their profit with you.

Withs happening with Telecoms in similar to Oil (dowstream). Again here, TransCorp is perhaps the only vehicle into this lucrative industry. In 4 - 5 years, For these reasons, I believe TransCorp will be really hot in 4 years time.
Re: Gsm Companies On The Stock Market by Crownvilla(m): 3:27pm On Sep 03, 2007
@Josho,

You are right. They are making stacks of money, so no need to go thru the hassle of having Nigerians as joint owners of the lolly and influencing company policy at shareholders meetings. These telecoms companies are outright, capitalistic, profit making ventures and the Nigerian market has been a goldmine.

Could you please expantiate a bit more about the downstream oil sector, I'm not familiar with the oil industry and a somewaht confused with the point you atrying to make. Thanks.
Re: Gsm Companies On The Stock Market by joshO: 7:01pm On Sep 03, 2007
Re: Gsm Companies On The Stock Market by joshO: 7:03pm On Sep 03, 2007
@Crownvilla,

Upstream oil sector deals primarily with the recovery and production of crude and natural gas. Most companies in this sector prospect and have  rights to huge oil reserves. The capital requirement here is huge and profits can be staggering. You'll find some of the biggest companies in the world here - Shell, Chevron, Gazprom, BP etc. Whilst some of these players also venture into the downstream sector - refining, distribution of crude / natural gas products), their main revenues derives from the lifting and sale of black gold and natural gas.

In Nigeria, most of these players don't even bother with downstream sector - They leave it to the oando's, conoil's, Zenon's and Mobil (distribution)  to worry with.  They also don't bother to list on the NSE as capital is ever hardly a problem for them. Also, why should they have to worry with recalcitrant shareholders? Another reason is rules of listing on the exchange. At least 25% of the company will have to be sold to the public. 25% of shell for example values at billions of $'s. The exchange may just not be deep enough for the NSE.  

These companies just make money out of Nigeria,  then repatriate most if not all of it to their countries.
Re: Gsm Companies On The Stock Market by Crownvilla(m): 4:25pm On Sep 04, 2007
@joshO

Thanks for that info.

(1) (Reply)

First Bank Shares / How Much Is The Various Types Of OKADA Bike And Fashola Bike / Official FX Thread For Traders.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.