Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Teacher Needed - Software/Programmer Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Software/Programmer Market / Teacher Needed (1195 Views)

SCHOOLFORCE™: A Powerful School Management Software, By A Teacher-developer / I Need A Visual Basic Programming Teacher In Abuja / Need An It/ict Facilitator Or A Private Computer Teacher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teacher Needed by akjoseph1: 12:39am On Sep 17, 2011
Please who can teach me java,cobol,pascal nd fortran within 3 months please ur location nd price
Re: Teacher Needed by naijaswag1: 9:43am On Sep 17, 2011
Jesus christ!!! How sharp is your brain? Java alone will require about six months to get you thinking in it.Do you have knowledge of any programming basics like BASIC programming language? And it also depends the extent you want to go.The langauges you just railed out seems like you need to know those for some courses in school.I find c++ conspiously missing.That language or java is what I will advice any beginner to go for as his first imperative language before diving into functional and other languages.
Re: Teacher Needed by edicolove: 10:00am On Sep 17, 2011
We can discuss it. My email is edicolove@gmail.com Pascal and Java are my 2 best languages. Cobol and fortran are academic languages. They are not really in use anymore but if you need them for your academics, I can teach you.

@naija_swag

You dont need 6 months to start thinking in Java. I learnt it in less than 1 month. Off course, I was already programming in other languages, but it still is not that difficult if you have a good teacher to guide you. In India, there are literary programmers hawking their skills on the streets. The problem with Naija is that we have already decided that these things are beyond us and it is wrong because they are not.
Re: Teacher Needed by naijaswag1: 9:24pm On Sep 18, 2011
@edicolove
its because of nigerian programmers like you that makes the companies in Nigeria still import their softwares from abroad.what did you learn in one month,is it java basics or the apis or j2ee,what about design patterns in java and data structures and algorithms in java.I hope you can teach someone all these in one month.only java basics can take a newbie a long time to take in talk more of becoming a real programmer after one month.
Re: Teacher Needed by edicolove: 10:35pm On Sep 18, 2011
naija_swag:

@edicolove
its because of nigerian programmers like you that makes the companies in Nigeria still import their softwares from abroad.what did you learn in one month,is it java basics or the apis or j2ee,what about design patterns in java and data structures and algorithms in java.I hope you can teach someone all these in one month.only java basics can take a newbie a long time to take in talk more of becoming a real programmer after one month.

I do not like to exchange words with people online because anybody can just post online. its cheap. Like a friend usually says, talk is cheap: email is cheaper. I have ben programming for over 15 years, just for the records and I have to my credit

A hotel Management app. That has been used by 8 hotels. I wont mention names cos its not ethical
A PBX call acounting and billing app used by several orgs
2 Mobile devices apps to be launched in the next week or 2
Several other apps I dont need to mention.
I have made presentations in conferences around Africa for my works.
Dont need to brag but you will be impressed with my CV. So dont tell me about foreign software. I have beating them to it several times in open competition for customers. So I know exactly what I am saying.

The duration it takes to learn programming is very relative depending on your IQ and other factors. I learnt pascal in one month. I learnt Java in less. I can program in C/C++, Delphi, Visual Foxpro, Perl, PHP, VB, Cobol and fortran. And when I say I can program, I am not talking about popping up a GUI form and calling it an app. I am talking about all the complex stuff from networking codes to reading barcodes, PBX machines, accessing system resources, reading and manipulating databases, optimizing for speed and security, working with triggers, writing multi tier apps with application servers and more. So before you post replies on a board, be careful who you are talking to, because you don't know who they are.

The reason some Nigerian companies go for foreign software is not because the foreign software is better. It is because of several factors I can tell you from experience.

1. Companies like hype and presentation. I dont blame them for that. But most growing Nigerian software companies cant match that.
2. Do you know it takes teams of up to 500 programmers to design an app abroad? Some foreign guys who reviewed my software asked how many people were on my team. When I told them it was just me, they couldnt believe it. I sounded crazy to them. They couldnt understand how I man did all that work. But thats Naija for you and that what we do.
3. Nigerian companies are paid far less for the same level of application that their foreign competitors. A Nigerian company will pay a Nigerian programmer say 500k for a software with even more functionality than a foreign software they will pay 5million. Simply because of the oyibo syndrome. In my hotel software for example, I had about 5 modules bundled as one and these modules come as separate software from foreign vendors and cost a fortune each. Even the cost of installation of the foreign one was more than what the client were willing to pay in some cases

I need not say too much but just needed to educate you on these issues a bit. Dont underestimate Nigerians. we are very smart and very good. We lost it in many ways as a country but that does not take away our abilities from us .

God bless Nigeria1
Re: Teacher Needed by Nobody: 7:47am On Sep 19, 2011
edicolove:

I do not like to exchange words with people online because anybody can just post online. its cheap. Like a friend usually says, talk is cheap: email is cheaper. I have ben programming for over 15 years, just for the records and I have to my credit

A hotel Management app. That has been used by 8 hotels. I wont mention names cos its not ethical
A PBX call acounting and billing app used by several orgs
2 Mobile devices apps to be launched in the next week or 2
Several other apps I dont need to mention.
I have made presentations in conferences around Africa for my works.
Dont need to brag but you will be impressed with my CV. So dont tell me about foreign software. I have beating them to it several times in open competition for customers. So I know exactly what I am saying.

The duration it takes to learn programming is very relative depending on your IQ and other factors. I learnt pascal in one month. I learnt Java in less. I can program in C/C++, Delphi, Visual Foxpro, Perl, PHP, VB, Cobol and fortran. And when I say I can program, I am not talking about popping up a GUI form and calling it an app. I am talking about all the complex stuff from networking codes to reading barcodes, PBX machines, accessing system resources, reading and manipulating databases, optimizing for speed and security, working with triggers, writing multi tier apps with application servers and more. So before you post replies on a board, be careful who you are talking to, because you don't know who they are.

The reason some Nigerian companies go for foreign software is not because the foreign software is better. It is because of several factors I can tell you from experience.

1. Companies like hype and presentation. I dont blame them for that. But most growing Nigerian software companies cant match that.
2. Do you know it takes teams of up to 500 programmers to design an app abroad? Some foreign guys who reviewed my software asked how many people were on my team. When I told them it was just me, they couldnt believe it. I sounded crazy to them. They couldnt understand how I man did all that work. But thats Naija for you and that what we do.
3. Nigerian companies are paid far less for the same level of application that their foreign competitors. A Nigerian company will pay a Nigerian programmer say 500k for a software with even more functionality than a foreign software they will pay 5million. Simply because of the oyibo syndrome. In my hotel software for example, I had about 5 modules bundled as one and these modules come as separate software from foreign vendors and cost a fortune each. Even the cost of installation of the foreign one was more than what the client were willing to pay in some cases

I need not say too much but just needed to educate you on these issues a bit. Dont underestimate Nigerians. we are very smart and very good. We lost it in many ways as a country but that does not take away our abilities from us .

God bless Nigeria1

I LOVE UR' REPLY! SOME OF THESE KIDS ON NAIRALAND NEED TO BE TALKED SENSE INTO SOMETIMES! KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.
Re: Teacher Needed by akjoseph1: 8:00am On Sep 19, 2011
@engineerd don't talk like that nd @ edicolove can u kindly drop ur phone number and email address and @naija_swags its possible to learn it thanks y'all
Re: Teacher Needed by naijaswag1: 8:48pm On Sep 19, 2011
@edicolove

I dont care if you started programming from Adam,I will still repeat,its because of programmers like you that causes Nigerian companies to spend billions of naira importing foreign softwares.If you think that you can learn a programming language and be good in it in one month,thats why you will continue to come up with trivial softwares like the ones you have just mentioned,which of those softwares involved any serious algorithms that you hacked not assembled from some apis made by some geeks.The problem with Nigerian programmers is that 99% want to make money immediately without realizing that if you learn the necessary fundamentals and algorithms,making money will be easy.Its young men and women like you and I who dish out all the apis and frameworks,servers and the rest that you use to assembly those trivial softwares that you did.Its programmers who come up with those complex ides and tools you play with.What open source project do you contribute to as a programmer? Can you even teach?

Before you get carried away with those successes of yours rate yourself with this site and after that stop decieving newbies that you can teach them how to program in one month.Its like reading sams teach yourself programming in 24 hours or days and then you tell me that you can now program.Even professors at stanford dont do that.

Rate yourself here.

http://sixrevisions.com/resources/10-puzzle-websites-to-sharpen-your-programming-skills/
Re: Teacher Needed by edicolove: 12:38am On Sep 20, 2011
^^^I can see that you lack very vital experience in the business world. I dont run after algoritms. Thats for broke guys claiming to be geeks. Solve a puzzle on a website? Common! Thats very childish! Many of the best apps in the world dont need complex algoritms. Most apps that use complex algorithms are scientific apps. What the Nigerian market needs are business solutions not geeky apps that mean nothing and are not applicable to anything. You think people get impressed by your complex algoritms when you go for presentations. You are talking like a second year student in a university trying to do his assignments. When you write apps for companies in Nigeria, nobody cares about your skills. They just want to see their results at the end of the day. In fact, you need more lecture and training on software than the @op. From your post, you cannot lead an apps dev team because a guy like you will start trying to impress with stuff thats not important. I ve dealt with all kinds of complex algorithms when I was in school. My project was an interpreter I made for a new language I called E language. I blew my supervisors away. But that dont put money on the table. When I got into the business world, I saw it was a different stuff altogether. Stop showing up yourself as a broke arse geek. It means nothing. I am a member of several African programming camps and open source orgs. I celebrate software freedom day every year and spend time programming Linux machines. All that is just for fun. It doesnt put a cent in my pocket. I do such stuff once in a while, just for fun But its for broke arse guys (maybe like you). Wake up and stop talking like the guys in novell and IBM that are now out of jobs because they think they have better algorithms than Microsoft and Apple. The world dont need new algoritms. They need simple solutions. Facebook is simple programming using AJAX. Not some geeky algorithm. Wake up my guy. Naija is changing and folks like you are still in the 70s.

My email again is edicolove@gmail.com
Re: Teacher Needed by naijaswag1: 6:40am On Sep 20, 2011
@edicolove

unfortunately you confirmed yourself a typical Nigerian programmer and a real nigerian who is in it for the money without value,quality,robustness,security etc that a real application needs,no need to take this further.imagine things you call childish.i see that you still dont understand the world of programming after 15 years.Google this name-donald knuth and you will realize that you need reorientation. I bet you enjoy things like playstation,your visual studio(i can see that you are close source),your ides and servers and frameworks.without serious algorithms like that of knuth,you wouldnt have them.with out serious algorithms,how do you control and program robots,airplanes,rockets and telecoms industry.a big nigerian company can never buy software from a guy like you.as i said,no need,you are just like one discouraging cobol guy i met once. sorry i talk to programmers below 35 and not some obscured guy like you.guys who are going to join me next year to put nigeria on the map come googlecodejam africa 2012 and the world finals.adieu.
Re: Teacher Needed by Fayimora(m): 12:16pm On Sep 20, 2011
This is UNBELIEVABLE!!
Re: Teacher Needed by Nairaplus(m): 3:24pm On Sep 20, 2011
Children stop fighting.

Well, it is not possible to learn a programming language from A to Z in one month, start thinking of one year.

Secondly, the best application doesn't have to be complex in design. All that is needed is functionality, usability and security.

Finally, you don't need to learn all the programming languages in the industry to create an application. Just two is enough- one for the web, and another for desktop, especially Windows. But, you need to be expert in just one. You can always hire people for the rest if the need be.
Re: Teacher Needed by Nobody: 5:36pm On Sep 20, 2011
Re: Teacher Needed by edicolove: 6:30pm On Sep 20, 2011
I dont need to exchange word with saddists. That what you find in NL these days. Saddists with no belief claiming some sort of righteous positions and making a fool of themselves with their retrogressive thinking. Saying Nigeria is full of scammers. Stupid generalizations. For your information, many Nigerian businesses now use Nigerian software. If you think you know Nigeria very well sitting in front of your laptop in Ukraine, you are deceiving yourself. Nigeria has left many of you behind. I feel sorry for you. I dont have anything to prove to you and am not a hungry Nigerian living in a far away country like you. You dont need more than a month to learn any language except you are completely new to programming. You dont learn hello world in one month. You learn hello world in 30 minutes. Only a retard will use one month to learn hello world. Any intelligent person who is already good at programming at least one language can learn any other language in one month. If you couldnt learn it in one month, you must be so dull

For the record, I am not asking for money to teach the guy. I teach Java and Delphi for free. Absolutely free. Dunce. I have been organising free trainings for people and even have a program I run in Niger Delta to train programmers. We are turning Nigeria into the next India. Cynics like you will only wake up one day and be amazed how far we ve gone. You guys seriously need to check your orientation because your cynism and self doubt is really limiting you.
Re: Teacher Needed by Nobody: 11:50pm On Sep 20, 2011
Re: Teacher Needed by Nairaplus(m): 12:34pm On Sep 21, 2011
goon:

@edicolove, am nt a sadist and i will neva be cos i have no reason 2 be. Secondly 4 your information, am nt in ukraine, i dnt knw how u came about dat. Thirdly, i would like 2 knw d name of your organisation dats reforming every1 in d Niger Delta IT wise. Fourthly, Y wont u teach som1 Java free unda 1 month when u really dnt knw anytin abt it?, plz, no offence intended but are u so dull dat learning hw 2 write d simple "HELLO WORLD" program took u up 2 30 mins?, if dat took u up to 30 mins 2 learn, den hw are u gonna learn java comprehensively in 1 month?, in my own opinion, i tink dat u should stop dat your so-called Niger Delta training b4 u go and teach people JAVASCRIPT and tell them dat its JAVA so dey dont go about and tell people dat dey are Java programmers thereby rubbishing d name of nigerian programmers.

Please consider what he's saying.

Stop this "You Can Be A Professional in One Month" stories. It only produces half-baked people. For your information, you will never be able to live long enough to memorize all the classes and superclasses and such like in Java. So how can you ever claim to be a master of it, talk more of in one month.
Re: Teacher Needed by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 21, 2011
naija_swag:

@edicolove

we learn differently. some are born to learn very fast and you have to respect them.

Nairaplus:

Stop this "You Can Be A Professional in One Month" stories. It only produces half-baked people. For your information, you will never be able to live long enough to memorize all the classes and superclasses and such like in Java. So how can you ever claim to be a master of it, talk more of in one month.
of course you can be a professional in 1 month, it all boils down to your drive, how much time you are able to sacrifice
even a java grand master learns everyday. some 14 yr old kids these days will hack a java app developed by a seasoned developer of 15 years industry experience
Re: Teacher Needed by edicolove: 1:00am On Sep 22, 2011
Nairaplus:

The sad part of these replies is that I keep seeing you guys are not even real programmers and do not understand the basics of programming and yet still make your ignorant comments

1. Nobody ever memorizes or needs to memorize all the classes in Java or any other language. One of the fundamentals of modern day programming is code reuse-ability. That simply means, when you develop apps, you can adopt code you have used before or sometimes functions that others have developed that you have access to and the right to use. This is the whole idea of Object Oriented Programming (OOP). That you don't understand this gives you up as a programmer wanna be. You lot are not even qualified to comment.
2. The simple point above means, a master of a particular language is not one that remembers all the classes but one that understands the flow structure of the language and understands the building process for durable applications. That is why when you learn one language in programming, you have actually learnt all the languages because the difference in languages is majorly syntax. Most programming structures (Variables, functions, loops, conditional statements, data definitions, etc) are the same (only different in their syntax) for almost all languages except for older languages like COBOL, FORTRAN or languages like LISP. Even compiled and interpreted languages have the same structures. If you need to do any special tack, you simply read the API documentation or programmers guide to get the syntax or definition for that function or command required.
3. You guys must be living in the ice age. In a world where 10 year olds are hackers, you are telling me you cant learn programming in a month? You guys must be very daft! Wake up! The only language that took me up to a month to learn (about 3 months) was my first language which was Pascal (Turbo Pascal on MSDOS). That was because It was my introduction to programming. Every other language I have learnt has taking me less than 2 weeks Including Java. You guys and really very daft!

Anyway, NL is full of critics and cyinics who do nothing but try to spread their doubts and lack of self belief to everyone else. They go around preaching dooms day and telling what can never be done. They contribute nothing to society but just sit in front of their laptops or cafes criticizing and voicing their bitterness. They never help anyone. They only see wrong, they are like a canker-worm in the society. It is not right for you to try to sell your doubts and limitations and un-intelligence as the standard for everyone else. The world is very big. Some of us got a lot of distinctions in our secondary and University days. So don't come here trying to sell your f00lishness and backward experiences as a standard. I aint buying that. Just because you cannot attain something or some height doesn't mean the whole world has to be like you. Reminds me of a story in the bible where a guy was told the country was going to change the next day and he laughed at it and the prophet told him, because of his unbelief and doubt, he would see it but wont partake in it. He was trampled by the mob the next day. If you keep propagating this your f00lish doubt, you will end up being a f00lish un-achiever. You must come out of your unbelief and limitations. what you are saying is your experience. saying it is a fact doesn't make it so. It is simply YOUR EXPERIENCE. It is your reality, not the reality of others.
Re: Teacher Needed by Nairaplus(m): 9:06am On Sep 22, 2011
Well! I can see that you are stubborn.

Since it takes one month for you, fine. But the question remains: what kind of programmer does that make you? You can keep the answer to yourself.

By the way, I don't claim to be an expert yet. I work daily towards that.
Re: Teacher Needed by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 22, 2011
Nairaplus:

Well! I can see that you are stubborn.

Since it takes one month for you, fine. But the question remains: what kind of programmer does that make you? You can keep the answer to yourself.

By the way, I don't claim to be an expert yet. I work daily towards that.

it's not about being stubborn, thats d fact

no one learns all java classes or classes of other languages
you only learn the syntax and how to use them. the logic comes from within, frequent usage help you master them, but the moment you stop using it, over time it evaporates. this does not mean you can't write it anymore but you may need a reference to stay correct on the syntax
well unless you are a genius.

Learning to use java can take you less than a month if you are already a master at any object oriented language, the more languages you are exposed to, the easier it becomes to grab new ones.
Re: Teacher Needed by farouqzaib: 10:43am On Sep 22, 2011
We are here again with the algo wars! Maybe to you, the guy exaggerated when he said you can learn Java in 1 month but if you are smart enough to learn algos then u should just forgive his misgivings.

Yes, I agree, you guys are kids. WTF do u think it less time for a programmer to learn another language? That's coz they already know basic programming constructs and structures(the ideas behind variables, control structures and rest of 'em). They do not need to learn those stuffs again, all they need is just to know the language style and representations of the said constructs and learn the API's(Who the hell said something about mastering classes?!!!, GAWD!!!).

Learning a new language is based on a lot of factors, so yes it is possible to learn java in 1 month(If u can do 8 or more productive hours for 30 days!).

Who reads a book on programming cover to cover?  Aside the fact that it is boring, it's totally not motivational (again, being there, done that). All u need is to master the program constructs(can't remember the real tech name sha!). You know, the variable naming style, data types, expression n statements, control structures e.t.c. Hell! Why teach a beginner collections in Java!!! They only need that when they tackle a real life project. Even boot camps that last for 1 week, even 3 days follow that paradigm. Teach 'em the basic stuffs and get them to work on a project. Learning the basic constructs is totally possible in 1 month. I learnt that in less than one month, but I'm still learning Java till today.

Whew!!! That aside, to those algo kiddies(like script kiddies)!

@edicolove,
I agree with you on the description about that dude that is all crazy abt algos. Been there, done that. He did same with one guy on a thread I started about algos.

It's Ok to learn algos n all. It's not like you are reinventing the wheel or something. It helps you develop better codes(that is if you even get a job to show your skills).

We are talking about what works in Nigeria here. The point is to do something first and then do it better and keep making it better.
edicolove has named some of the stuffs he has worked on, it doesn't f***king matter if they were crap. @ least it freaking works(I suppose) n he did something. Those of you criticizing him, WTF have u guys done?

How the F those your mastering algos(coz thats what you want to do) help Nigeria's economy?  If you're complaining that someone's SW is crap and giving Nigeria a bad image, then step up and deliver summin better instead of the ad hominem you are doing.

The ideal thing is to find a balance between SW design and implementation.

Hell! FB was crap compared to MySpace when it debuted, but Mark had a solid idea. Now, he hires geeks to do the hard part which reinforces my previous statement. First thing is to build something, then make it better and keep improving on it.

When u get hired(or serious bragging rights) from solving puzzles in FB's puzzles , Google's codejam, IBM's ICPC or even work on an idea in Garage48(which by the way helps our economy) or even the lesser Microsoft Imagine Cup. Then, I'll call u tha BOSS. mtchewwwww!!!

@Moderator, I'm really sorry for swearing. They really pissed me off.
Re: Teacher Needed by farouqzaib: 11:08am On Sep 22, 2011
No not again!!! I didn't see that sly comment about JS.

I spent the better part of yesterday explaining why JS shouldn't be taken lightly and some supposed coder is dumb enough to belittle JS. Google up what JS is doing with HTML 5 and even the ground breaking Node.js.

A language is only as good as what it is used for. No try me o!

*** these guys just ruined my day *****, ****no coding today, bring it on y'all *****
Re: Teacher Needed by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 24, 2011
i also need a teacher on php. can anyone teach me? obaspublications@yahoo.com
Re: Teacher Needed by Nairaplus(m): 2:03pm On Oct 04, 2011
I learnt a great deal from this thread and although it looks like a heated argument, I just want to say thank you all.
Re: Teacher Needed by purplebelt(m): 2:19am On Nov 26, 2011
na wa for plenty argument ooo, when u guyz have d time, pls take a look at this new stock of lappy's i got

i've got new stock of these laptops

call 0815-473-7273

BBPIN: 2245c164

Acer Aspire 5736z
500GB Hard disk
4Gb ram
intel dual core 2.3ghz
15.6 inches screen
3-4hrs batt life
with 1yr warranty (think About the Peace of Mind)
N65000

i've also got
Dell Mini (Pink) - used for 2 months
Acer Aspire 5736z
320GB Hard disk
2Gb ram
intel atom
4-6hrs batt life
with 3months warranty
N42000

Dell inspiron N4030
Acer Aspire 5736z
500GB Hard disk
4Gb ram
intel dual core 2.3ghz
14 inch screen
3-4hrs batt life
with 1yr warranty
N70000

Dell inspiron N4030
Acer Aspire 5736z
500GB Hard disk
4Gb ram
intel dual core 2.3ghz
14 inch screen
3-4hrs batt life
with 1yr warranty
N70000

Dell inspiron N4030
Acer Aspire 5736z
320GB Hard disk
4Gb ram
intel dual core 2.3ghz
14 inch screen
3-4hrs batt life
with 1yr warranty
N68000

(1) (Reply)

Web Development Training In Sango, Ogun State! / Diamond Bank Needs Programmers / Wao Point Of Sales System For Stores

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.