Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know (3391 Views)

Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. / Airtel Mifi (router) VS Mtn Mifi (router) / This Is How Fast MTN 5G Network Is! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know by Smartdepotng: 8:47pm On Mar 23, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVW-CZK00Bk

7 Seriously considering before choosing Starlink or MTN 5G.
For those who do not have data to watch the video, here you go.

#1 Strong Network Coverage:
Starlink beats MTN 5G hands down here as it has strong coverage from lower space satellites orbiting about 550 kilometres above sea level all over Nigeria. Strong Coverage is a weak point for 5G because of poor penetration when inside a building. So, I am giving this round to Starlink

#2 Network Speeds.
MTN 5G rips Starlink to shreds at network speeds. You could get ten times the download speeds of Starlink with MTN 5G but that doesn't tell the whole story as you see soon in this Video. However, the upload speed on Starlink is the biggest shortcoming. If you ever intend to upload a lot of content to the internet or social media, do not go for Starlink, you will regret it. If you do more downloads, Netflix and chill, it's still a great option. Nevertheless, I'll give this round to MTN 5G

#3 Weather conditions. Smaller satellite dishes Transmits with the Ku band and just like dstv, Starlink's signal drops drastically when there is a strong rain cloud or heavy rain. Although Starlink uses Ku and Ka Bands, both are susceptible to rain fade during heavy rainfall. If you live in a city where it rains frequently, do not go for Starlink to avoid unnecessary frustration. Technically, weather conditions shouldn't impact strongly on 5G Network but when it rains heavily in Port Harcourt, MTN 5G speeds drop but not as bad as Starlink. so MTN 5G wins this round.

#4 Mobility.
Although Starlink can be installed anywhere in Nigeria, there is a 15 miles radius of geofencing once your Satellite has locked on the signal on the residential plan - which, by the way, is the only plan available in Nigeria. Starlink has other plans like Business, Roam, Martine and Aviation that are way more expensive and have bigger bandwidth than the Residential plan. Starlink has to be plugged into AC power to work and that goes further to hurt mobility. If there is MTN 5G coverage, you can move around with your phone or router and still get a 5G connection. So, MTN has this round.

#5 Shared Network | Stability | Latency | Peak Hours Performance

If you watched to this point a sub to the channel will be Satisfying! So click on that subscribe button and turn on the notification bell icon to get more videos like this.
Back to round 5, both MTN 5G and Starlink share similar latency so it won't be a deal breaker even for gamers. Both are shared networks so, there is no 99% guaranteed bandwidth. However, Starlink will give you a higher % of guaranteed bandwidth because of fewer users in Nigeria and better capacity. At Peak hours, MTN 5G speeds can drop by 50 - 70%. So yes, Starlink wins this round

#6 Cost and Value
The cost of Getting an MTN 5G router at ₦50K is Ten times cheaper than getting a Starlink kit. You can even enjoy 5G if you already own a 5G Phone but let's talk about Value. Thanks to Fisayo’s latest video about Starlink in Nigeria, It's now been confirmed, at least for now, that there is no 1 Terabyte data cap on Starlink Nigeria but even if there is, Starlink brings more value to high-end and power users. There is something liberating about using an unlimited data network - You can do so much more! So, if you consider that average users can get more value from MTN while Power users will get more value from Starlink, I'll call this round a tie.

#7 Customer service and support.
For me, MTN customer service is still garbage but Starlink customer service is none existent in Nigeria and that is a very big problem. A Nigerian Tech Content Creator Oscar had this to say about Starlink experience.
If you intend to use any network for longer periods, you must consider the support and customer service. So I'll give this round to MTN 5G

Conclusion!
MTN won 4, Starlink won 2 and one round was a tie. There is no winner or loser in this contest, it depends on your network preferences.

Watch the video for my special bonus. Let's chat in the comments section.

5 Likes

Re: Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know by sjx566: 9:10pm On Mar 23, 2023
From your succinct analysis MTN 5G wins my heart
Re: Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know by datola: 9:16pm On Mar 23, 2023
Wow!

What's now the hpye about Starlink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know by Smartdepotng: 10:50pm On Mar 23, 2023
datola:
Wow!

What's now the hpye about Starlink

Unlimited data, Strong network coverage all over Nigeria, better Stability and better peak hours performance. But if you live in place it rains frequently like Port Harcourt, stay Away

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know by seankim(m): 5:00am On Mar 24, 2023
MTN 5G all the way.

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know by mayskit4luv(m): 5:21am On Mar 24, 2023
Okay
Re: Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know by Iamicekid(m): 7:35am On Mar 24, 2023
Starlink all day any day, Mtn 5g that u will subscribe monthly subscription 2times a week cause it will have finish in 3 to 4days, so if u do that calculation of how much u spending in a month, it more than how much u will pay for starlink unlimited monthly plan, a lot of your friends and families can connect and burn the data as much as they want it won’t finish..... but if you are in Lagos island to be precise I will suggest tizzeti, it’s super fast also and is unlimited also and the monthly sub is just 10k

1 Like

Re: Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know by Amuluonyenaego: 8:17am On Mar 24, 2023
Wow they Dan finally unbanned me from commenting.
Re: Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know by topmarks: 4:27pm On Mar 24, 2023
well written
I was expecting an uninformed trash
kudos
Re: Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know by CodeTemplar: 8:39pm On Mar 24, 2023
Point two isn't clear and as for the last point about 1 terabyte cap. It may be there and you won't know until more users join the pool.
Re: Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know by Smartdepotng: 4:00pm On Mar 28, 2023
Iamicekid:
Starlink all day any day, Mtn 5g that u will subscribe monthly subscription 2times a week cause it will have finish in 3 to 4days, so if u do that calculation of how much u spending in a month, it more than how much u will pay for starlink unlimited monthly plan, a lot of your friends and families can connect and burn the data as much as they want it won’t finish..... but if you are in Lagos island to be precise I will suggest tizzeti, it’s super fast also and is unlimited also and the monthly sub is just 10k
Tizeti seems good in Lagos but they showed me Shege Pro Max in Port Harcourt. 1st they only do 5Mbps wireless fibre for residential after I paid ₦50K for installation then (2021) and the speed is not always optimal. Not many places had their fibre option. It was my colleague that came from Lagos that recommended it.
However, I currently use NGcom network in Ph ans they are better (up to 15mbps) wireless fibre and 45mbps for wired fibre for residential if your area is covered.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know by Smartdepotng: 4:01pm On Mar 28, 2023
topmarks:
well written
I was expecting an uninformed trash
kudos
This is Smart Depot na, we don tey for this game

1 Like

Re: Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know by Smartdepotng: 4:23pm On Mar 28, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Point two isn't clear and as for the last point about 1 terabyte cap. It may be there and you won't know until more users join the pool.
Network speed is easy. Use speed test websites like fast dot com or speedtest to check it. 1 Terabyte cap isn't bad and you won't be completely disconnected but reduced speeds after that
Re: Starlink Vs Mtn 5g - Which Should You Get? 7 Things You Must Know by Iamicekid(m): 5:46pm On Mar 28, 2023
Smartdepotng:

Tizeti seems good in Lagos but they showed me Shege Pro Max in Port Harcourt. 1st they only do 5Mbps wireless fibre for residential after I paid ₦50K for installation then (2021) and the speed is not always optimal. Not many places had their fibre option. It was my colleague that came from Lagos that recommended it.
However, I currently use NGcom network in Ph ans they are better (up to 15mbps) wireless fibre and 45mbps for wired fibre for residential if your area is covered.

How much is this NGcom monthly subscription and is it unlimited also and how much is the total package too plus installation

(1) (Reply)

For D Record,i Hate Lumia Windows Phone / Airtel 3gb For N500 And 1gb For N200 / Difference Between Tecno Camon 12 Vs Camon 12 Pro Vs Camon 12 Air

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.