Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,729 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Are These Negative Stories/comments Helping Us Become Better? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are These Negative Stories/comments Helping Us Become Better? (1334 Views)

Helping The Thinkers Believe, And Helping The Believers Think. / Is God Really Helping Us? / Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are These Negative Stories/comments Helping Us Become Better? by akaazua(m): 1:39pm On Sep 18, 2011
Why are we too negative? We are surrounded by negative stories on ever side. The media world seems to thrive when they have a lot of negative/bad stories to report. Hardly will one see reports of exploits and great things our pastors and leaders are doing for the glory of our God. Let a pastor be caught in adultery/fornication or in corruption and you are sure to find the story been reported by several papers and magazines. The bible says: “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things”. Philippians 4:8
The more negative and bad things we hear and report ourselves, the more negative and bad we at the end become ourselves. What we hear every time will definitely have effects on us. Why post such negative/bad posts every time? Is it to show how spiritual we are and how bad other people are? Is this Christianity?
It seems to me that a good number of us are always having bad stories to post here. Many are eagerly waiting for stories that are not of good report on this site. Many have never made any encouraging comment on this site before. Many are not happy when good encouraging God glorifying posts are made; this is not christianly. It is as we become positive that we will see positive changes in the Christendom, our Christian leaders and secular leaders.

We are not saying evil should be covered or not commented upon, but what is the motive behind posting them or commenting negatively? we can be criticize constructively but let it be with a pure motive and mission. God bless ever one of us.
Re: Are These Negative Stories/comments Helping Us Become Better? by akaazua(m): 7:01am On Sep 20, 2011
Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. James 4:11
Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. Titus 3:1,2
Consider some wise sayings by Charles Spurgeon:

What we wish to see we shall see or think we see. Faults are always thick where love
is thin.

Dear friend, do not become a fault-finder, it is as bad a trade as a pick-pocket’s. Till
you can do better, hold your tongue! Did you ever know a man or woman whom God
blessed that was perfect? If God were to work by perfect instruments, the
instruments would earn a part of the glory.

I think any minister will tell you it is the people who do nothing themselves in a
church that find fault with those who do the work.
Re: Are These Negative Stories/comments Helping Us Become Better? by akaazua(m): 7:03am On Sep 20, 2011
Brethren, our Lord was no critic. No, among the brotherhood of fault-finders you
never see the Christ of God. When he has to deal with sincere people, he picks no
holes, imputes no motives, and dwells on no mistakes.

Brother, if any man thinks ill of you, do not be angry with him; for you are worse
than he thinks you to be. If he charges you falsely on some point, yet be satisfied, for
if he knew you better he might change the accusation, and you would be no gainer by
the correction. If you have your moral portrait painted, and it is ugly, be satisfied;
for it only needs a few blacker touches, and it would be still nearer the truth.

Somebody has said a very nasty thing about us. Well, well; we will answer him when
we have got through the work we have at hand, namely, praising God continually. At
present we have a great work to do, and cannot come down to wrangle. Self-love and
its natural irritations die in the blaze of praise.

There never was an enterprise started yet but somebody objected to it; and I do not
believe that the best work that Christ himself ever did was beyond criticism; there
were some people who were sure to find some fault with it.
Re: Are These Negative Stories/comments Helping Us Become Better? by akaazua(m): 7:07am On Sep 20, 2011
Now, recollect, those are always coldest that do not plough, for those that plough get
warm. I have always noticed that the people in a church, who quarrel, are the idle
ones. Those that do nothing always grumble.

It is very easy to pick holes in other people’s work, but it is far more profitable to do
better work yourself. Is there a fool in all the world that cannot criticise?

Those Christian people who do nothing are usually troublesome, for they are at
leisure to find fault with those who are doing their best.
Re: Are These Negative Stories/comments Helping Us Become Better? by akaazua(m): 6:53am On Sep 21, 2011
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
Re: Are These Negative Stories/comments Helping Us Become Better? by Enigma(m): 8:51am On Sep 21, 2011
It is one thing to be honest but to get certain things wrong. That happens basically to every Christian, every Christian group or grouping, every Christian denomination (or "abomination" as some say  smiley ). In that case, criticism may still be necessary but its manner admittedly should be gentler.

On the other hand when it comes to deceit or when you are dealing with people who have infiltrated Christianity and deliberately want to pervert its teaching for personal gain or people who are reckless about its teaching as long as they make personal gain, or anti-Christs and other satanic agents, it will be very foolish to say "don't criticise" or "be gentle".

Jesus Christ was not gentle with the deceivers, he had very strong harsh words for them; the apostles were not gentle with deceivers, they had very strong and harsh words for them. In fact virtually each book of the New Testament warns against deceivers, false teachers and the like and often with strong and harsh words. In the first place the Bible urges us to "test every spirit" and if we find that we are dealing with contrarian spirits we must expose them and warn others; it is our duty to be vigilant and it is also our duty to be concerned about the welfare of the flock of Christ --- everywhere.

---- Duty to test every spirit
1 John 4
1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

--- Duty to contend for the faith
Jude
3 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints. 4 For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.

--- Jesus words about false teachers and deceivers
Matthew 7
15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them.

Matthew 7
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Matthew 24
5 For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many.

Also Matthew 24:11 etc

--- Apostolic warnings about false teachers and deceivers
2 Peter 2
1 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.

Jude
4 For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.

Acts 20
28 Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood. 29 I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30[b] Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them[/b]. 31 So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears.

and several other places etc etc etc

One important last point to remember: the false teachers that Jesus and the apostles warn about are inside the Church; they have infiltrated and are still infiltrating the Church. If they do not claim to be Christians, it will be far easier to recognise them; but they come disguising themselves as agents angels of light (like satan their father) and that makes it harder for some well-meaning people to recognise them for what they are. If we are not watchful and if we keep saying "don't make negative comments" we will be negligent and open ourselves to being deceived; we will also be negligent in being shepherds of God's flock.

We don't want to end up like the people warned about in the passage below which is one of the things that could happen to those negligently or wilfully following false teachers!

1 Timothy 4
1 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.
Re: Are These Negative Stories/comments Helping Us Become Better? by akaazua(m): 7:04am On Sep 22, 2011
I frankly agree with you that we cannot do without constructive criticism neither should we believe every spirit, but should test them. My concern is that most of the stories on this site are negative ones. I strongly believe that in as much as we cannot do without criticizing at times it should not  be our preoccupation.

(1) (Reply)

What Does It Feel Like To Die? / How Can I / How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.