Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,664 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Does Car Airbag Expire ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Car Airbag Expire ? (2448 Views)

How Do I Know If A Used Car Airbag Is Still Intact? / Old Number Plates, Driver's Licence Expire Sept 31, Says FRSC / Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Car Airbag Expire ? by fitnesswis: 10:22pm On Sep 19, 2011
We have been into heated argument down here in the East that Car airbags for older vehicles even if its TOks or naija used expires.

I think that once an airbag is in a car it wont expire as long as the car is still working.
Please does this expire and how many yrs?

Reason is that my Mitsubishi Carisma has SRS Airbag and my friend said it cant work.
Please i need experienced people of NL to advice me.

Thanks everyone.
Re: Does Car Airbag Expire ? by fitnesswis: 6:50am On Sep 20, 2011
Thanks everyone.
Re: Does Car Airbag Expire ? by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 20, 2011
fitnesswis:

We have been into heated argument down here in the East that Car airbags for older vehicles even if its TOks or naija used expires, my Mitsubishi Carisma has SRS Airbag and my friend said it cant work.
I shouldn't think they expire. I hope you wouldn't be venturesome enough to test yours. if you remain so curious get it scanned and you'd know whether it's still ok or not. The practical way of determining whether it still functions or not is to go ahead and involve the car in a frontal accident!
Re: Does Car Airbag Expire ? by fitnesswis: 5:24pm On Sep 20, 2011
Costee:

I shouldn't think they expire. I hope you wouldn't be venturesome enough to test yours. if you remain so curious get it scanned and you'd know whether it's still ok or not. The practical way of determining whether it still functions or not is to go ahead and involve the car in a frontal accident!

hahahhha ok bring your car make i jam am to use am test. lmao , hmmm anyway thanks for the contribution Jare.

want to hear also from others.
Re: Does Car Airbag Expire ? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 20, 2011
hahahhha ok bring your car make i jam am to use am test. lmao , hmmm anyway thanks for the contribution Jare.

[quote][/quote]
Ha! But me I no complain about my SRS (supplemental restraint system, the airbag) now; my own dey kampe. As a matter of fact, if the thing was bad, it should have indicated on your dashboard--except of course your ECM (engine control module) has been tampered with. I'd say you should let sleeping dogs lie. We pray never to have cause to use it anyway.
Re: Does Car Airbag Expire ? by fitnesswis: 9:51pm On Sep 20, 2011
Costee:

Ha! But me I no complain about my SRS (supplemental restraint system, the airbag) now; my own dey kampe. As a matter of fact, if the thing was bad, it should have indicated on your dashboard--except of course your ECM (engine control module) has been tampered with. I'd say you should let sleeping dogs lie. We pray never to have cause to use it anyway.

aaahhhhh it wont happen.
Re: Does Car Airbag Expire ? by fitnesswis: 10:24pm On Sep 20, 2011
@inspired,
Please kindly explain this more as this car i checked again is 1995 model from the seat belt. has the airbag expired?
Re: Does Car Airbag Expire ? by inspiredm(m): 10:56pm On Sep 20, 2011
fitnesswis:

@inspired,
Please kindly explain this more as this car i checked again is 1995 model from the seat belt. has the airbag expired?

The Best Way to know is to Have the car Scanned.

Airbags DO EXPIRE

It differs For Different vehicles, Typically Between 10 to 15 Years Maximum.

The expiry date For your airbag should Be on the Door Sill of Your Car, Ironically, Most People are oblivious of this.

Cheers
Re: Does Car Airbag Expire ? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Sep 20, 2011
It would appear that before the mid 1990s manufacturers placed a duration after which they recommended that the air bags be replaced. But such restrictions would appear to no longer apply to more recent cars. Here's for example what Mercedes Benz says of its vehicles

"Airbags, that were installed in Mercedes-Benz passenger vehicles up
to January 1992 have a service life of 15 years. After this service life
has elapsed, the airbags must be replaced at the customer's cost. The
service life is evident from a sticker that is either on the
B pillar (driver's side) or on the inside of the vehicle's glove
compartment lid. New airbag technology has made lifelong functional
reliability possible, which means that the airbag service life restriction
no longer applies."

Even at 16 years, the air bag in your car could still be functional, though perhaps gradually becoming weak. That is, it would not deploy as fast as it should.
Re: Does Car Airbag Expire ? by fitnesswis: 12:42am On Sep 21, 2011
Thanks inspired for the explanation,

Thanks also Costee for the lecture.

I so much appreciate.

scanning the car in the east of Nigeria i don't think if anyone does it or how can I go about it?
Re: Does Car Airbag Expire ? by Nobody: 11:04am On Sep 21, 2011
Scanning has now been made easy, just ask about. Besides, there are many scan tool adverts on this board. Search.
Re: Does Car Airbag Expire ? by fitnesswis: 9:05pm On Sep 21, 2011
Thanks
Re: Does Car Airbag Expire ? by unclesamtech(m): 5:52am On Sep 22, 2011
yes after 10 years

(1) (Reply)

AC Expert In The House Help Please!!!! / Thinking Of Getting New Tires? Read This First! / End Of Year Give Away

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.