Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji (7460 Views)

Power Generation Falls By 356.8MW In Three Weeks / FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW / Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw, Highest Ever – Nnaji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by gohome: 6:33pm On Sep 20, 2011
The USA                               1000000 MW                     300M people
SA                                        40000MW +                        30M  people
Nigeria (Giant of Africa)         4242MW                           150M people
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by seedord247(m): 6:40pm On Sep 20, 2011
\
JaaizTech:

My brother i beg where you dey live for Lagos. I need to relocate sharply.

Na banana ISland the bRos they stay. . . shye you fit rent 3 bedroom flat for 200 million?
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by edicolove: 7:04pm On Sep 20, 2011
Power supply has greatly improved in Lagos. I posted a thread on that last week. It is not down to the rains.
Secondly, Nigeria does not need 40,000 mega watts. I dont know where you got that from. We are not an industrialized nation yet. I believe an increase in power generation will encourage a lot of industries to spring up. but at the moment, we dont need that amount of power. I have been to south Africa several times and they are a highly industrialized nation so they need such power. Dont even mention the US. I we get to 10, 000 mega watts, we should be ok for nationwide 24 hours power. It is not based on population but on the industrial demands. Individuals dont really use much power.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by ochukoccna: 7:38pm On Sep 20, 2011
4242MW grin grin grin grin
Yeah, right! angry angry angry angry
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by MMM2(m): 7:41pm On Sep 20, 2011
i pray so
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by mekaboy(m): 8:15pm On Sep 20, 2011

NA ONLY PEOPLE WEY DEY VILLAGE DEY ENJOY THIS POWER, MY ADVICE TO YOU, IF U WON ENJOY POWER SUPPLY, GO UR VILLAGE grin grin grin

Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by jmaine: 8:52pm On Sep 20, 2011
No wonder my light no dey blink for my side for Lag . . .and it's just over 4000MW . . . . if e come increase nko . . .things are shaping up tight . . . . . . Nnaji . . .may you never drop that whip you use in motivating those lazy and dubious PHCN CEOs
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by temodent(m): 9:02pm On Sep 20, 2011
interesting news indeed probably that's why we've not had light in my area in the past 3days, what a contradiction.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by bodejohn(m): 9:24pm On Sep 20, 2011
edicolove:

Power supply has greatly improved in Lagos. I posted a thread on that last week. It is not down to the rains.
Secondly, Nigeria does not need 40,000 mega watts. I dont know where you got that from. We are not an industrialized nation yet. I believe an increase in power generation will encourage a lot of industries to spring up. but at the moment, we dont need that amount of power. I have been to south Africa several times and they are a highly industrialized nation so they need such power. Dont even mention the US. I we get to 10, 000 mega watts, we should be ok for nationwide 24 hours power. It is not based on population but on the industrial demands. Individuals dont really use much power.

You need to take into consideration the fact that major manufacturing companies in Nigeria run their machines on generator.
The company I work with runs all the production lines (6 lines) on generator 24hours 7days with only a few utilities and offices on PHCN.
The generators are rated 1MVA each and there are more than 7in number with future expansions impossible without buying more generators.
If the companies that we have in Nigeria especially in the south west move to PHCN, you will see that the 10,000Mwatts you stated will not be enough not to talk of new small and medium scale industries expected to spring up.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by tunde300us(m): 9:26pm On Sep 20, 2011
Light dey most of surulere likee say 20-24hrs now,but the biggest challenge now na transformers and PHCN poor maintenance culture, most of them now don dey collapse cos they cant stand that amount of electricity.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Beaf: 9:26pm On Sep 20, 2011
Its Fresh Air!!

For those talking about rains, thats so outdated. We get the bulk of our electricity from gas fired turbines and the govt has fixed most of the broken down ones, extracted new gas supplies (past govts sold ALL of our gas for 16 years) and is building new ones. Forget about rain, it just doesn't apply these days, all increases in generation are genuine. No mago mago.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Beaf: 9:29pm On Sep 20, 2011
IMHO, we need some mini nuclear plants for each town (more like one per state, considering our low rate of consumption). They don't cost much either.
Each state should be able to pay for one, or maybe get one on loan from the FG.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Kobojunkie: 9:40pm On Sep 20, 2011
Anyone able to confirm that production has actually passed 4000MW let alone reaching 4242MW We have been lied to so many times before now. I say we confirm first.

And no, telling me that you have more hours of power means it has improved is rubbish, so do not respond with that crock of bull.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by asha80(m): 9:57pm On Sep 20, 2011
Beaf:

IMHO, we need some mini nuclear plants for each town (more like one per state, considering our low rate of consumption). They don't cost much either.
Each state should be able to pay for one, or maybe get one on loan from the FG.

nna beaf hole your side ooo lol
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by billante(m): 10:01pm On Sep 20, 2011
The simply Truth is that there is improvement in power supply, its everywhere, areas that is not experiencing this improvement is isolated problems, either they don't have sufficient transformers or the distribution infrastrcution for those areas haven't been completed, they should just exercise patience and wait for their turn!!!

Those that are still doubting this improvement, should just throw that away and be optimistic, we have been pessimistic for long about solving this electricity problem but where has it taken us to? nowhere!!!  it doesn't take anything from you to be hopeful that this age long problem is solve once and for all, and i know it is going to be so, cause the signs are everywhere!! if you see the passion that is in sambo and GEJ when they talk about power you will have no doubt that we will soon start taking constant electricity for granted
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Kobojunkie: 10:04pm On Sep 20, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Anyone able to confirm that production has actually passed 4000MW let alone reaching 4242MW We have been lied to so many times before now. I say we confirm first.

And no, telling me that you have more hours of power means it has improved is rubbish, so do not respond with that crock of bull.
grin
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by teemon: 10:38pm On Sep 20, 2011
Whenever this Nnaji of a man speak i dey always yarn*Yarning already*
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by CHIMSKY(m): 10:51pm On Sep 20, 2011
From my observation in my part of the country-Orozo,Abuja.power supply has improved.for days we would have no light but now there is light virtually every day for say 4-5 hours.Its not the best but why dont Nairalanders give reports on the power situation in their different parts of the country so we can tell if this is just a fluke or a general improvement?I just pray the generator sellers dont trip up Prof.Nnaji cos he is spoiling their market.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by shollymata(m): 11:27pm On Sep 20, 2011
The level of our gullibility is alarming in this country called Nigeria. Turbines are not designed and built overnight yet this Professor is claiming credit for the efforts obviously put up by his predecessors. It also baffles me that he is taking credit for spinning reserve that will never be available for use by customers.
As a nation we need to move beyond celebrating mediocre milestones and get back to work. 3,900 MW for 150 million + people in a country that generates an average of N29 trillion per day on sales of crude oil only (2.5M BOPD @ $75/barrel @ N155/$). No social security benefits, no proper retirement benefits for government workers, no NITEL, no RAILWAY, no GOOD ROADS, no SECURITY, substandard GENERAL HOSPITALS, 'they want to take away subsidy', and yet, they are celebrating 3,900MW, celebrating Nigeria @ 50. Delta state using huge sums to celebrate Xmas. These are ridiculous unchallenged of public funds. We need to start asking the right questions from these people. Where is all this money going to?
What is our press doing reporting cheap news like this one. No questions asked, no road maps drawn, no cost implication explained to us, no cost benefit analysis, no projection, no timeline, no reason for increase, yet they report. We need to have a yard stick (by experts) for measuring success and use this during every report especially from public officers.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by OmoTier1(m): 11:38pm On Sep 20, 2011
I shake my head at some of the comments!

For a start, Lagos State present utilization capacity (based on recent study by Fashola is 12,000MW)with projection of 16,000MW by 2014 or 2015.

So where leaves the nation if we were to revamp the industries in Lagos to say 65% electricity wise! Or do you really think Mechillin or dunlop will run back to Nigeria with the news of 4000MW?

Why has the issue of 856MW idle at PH power generating stations built by Amaechi not been addressed?

What amazes me is that nothing concrete is been done on the "low end" distribution side of the power equation! How many of you have seen new transformer units/layout been installed in your neighbour hood? Or how many of you have witness upgrade of existing ones?

Obviously, the chin chin seller or the iron welder on the street doesn't give a hoot to 4000MW been generated until they are able to use the electricity in thier domain to better thier lots. Or how many of you have witnessed recabling of those sagging wires, running accross your neighbourhood,or the tipped/broken electric poles generating substantial loss in current?

These things can ALL be done SIMULTENEOUSLY with tremedous impact and it has been done in several countries around the globe, so why not in Nigeria?

So then, while GEJ maybe appreciated He needs to be flogged yet more as He appears to be very slugish at redeeming his promises!
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by LoveKing(m): 11:49pm On Sep 20, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

So then, while GEJ maybe appreciated He needs to be flogged yet more as He appears to be very slugish at redeeming his promises!

true talk bro. Nigerians ought to expect more and stop settling for average or below par. mediocre is like nigeria's surname and it should not be so. we have everything to be great, lets demand for the best.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by DaLover(m): 12:17am On Sep 21, 2011
For those asking for evidence that it has increased to 4290, how did you ever get to believe the other lower figures in the first place, just a tot,
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by manny4life(m): 1:15am On Sep 21, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

I shake my head at some of the comments!

For a start, Lagos State present utilization capacity (based on recent study by Fashola is 12,000MW)with projection of 16,000MW by 2014 or 2015.

So where leaves the nation if we were to revamp the industries in Lagos to say 65% electricity wise! Or do you really think Mechillin or dunlop will run back to Nigeria with the news of 4000MW?

Why has the issue of 856MW idle at PH power generating stations built by Amaechi not been addressed?

What amazes me is that nothing concrete is been done on the "low end" distribution side of the power equation! How many of you have seen new transformer units/layout been installed in your neighbour hood? Or how many of you have witness upgrade of existing ones?

Obviously, the chin chin seller or the iron welder on the street doesn't give a hoot to 4000MW been generated until they are able to use the electricity in thier domain to better thier lots. Or how many of you have witnessed recabling of those sagging wires, running accross your neighbourhood,or the tipped/broken electric poles generating substantial loss in current?

These things can ALL be done SIMULTENEOUSLY with tremedous impact and it has been done in several countries around the globe, so why not in Nigeria?

Since you're so pessimistic, why don't Gov. Fashola float a $1 to $5billion bond to build his own integrated system to support what the FG is supplying to the state. It's researched that one can produce 1MW with $1.5 to $1.8million. A $2billion bond from Lagos investors alone will generate 1,000MW and still have quote a few change left to upgrade all distribution and transmission lines. Now we know that Lagos DOES NOT get 1,300MW, I think this is good idea for r Gov. When built in three or four phases, in short time period, in about 2.5 years he will have an operating system in place and can charge as high tariff as he wants.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by obynoud1: 3:32am On Sep 21, 2011
am one of the contractor taking (INNP) project at lot 21,pls it will work.am one of the contractor taking (INNP) project at lot 21,pls it will work.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Arnold1(m): 5:04am On Sep 21, 2011
shollymata:

The level of our gullibility is alarming in this country called Nigeria. Turbines are not designed and built overnight yet this Professor is claiming credit for the efforts obviously put up by his predecessors.

It also baffles me that he is taking credit for spinning reserve that will never be available for use by customers.

Excellent point !!!

If it is true that there is improvement in power supply, you have to give credit to GEJ's
predecessors because it is their work that is currently bearing fruit.

If not for the corruption and mismanagement of OBJ's National Integrated
Power Projects (NIPP), by now, we should be generating more than 6,000 MW IMHO.

That said, some of the plants contributing
to the 4,242 MW were inaugurated during OBJ's term.

GEJ, Sambo and Nnaji should vigorously build up on the groundwork
of NIPP and pay close attention not only to generation
but the transmission and distribution of power.

Before we see sustained relief, we need heavy investment in this
sector and it desperately needs to be private sector driven.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by owobokiri(m): 5:48am On Sep 21, 2011
Ngerians and the politics of mega watts
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Princek12(m): 7:01am On Sep 21, 2011
mega watts; mega money; mega fools; mega wayo; mega 419; mega mega.

very soon people will start naming their children megawatts.

what happened to GEJ's promise of privatization?

even if GEJ can't privatize the power sector, the least he can do is to deregulate the industry, paving way for states to generate their own electricity.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Pukkah: 7:34am On Sep 21, 2011
okunboy:

[Quotes]Now, the 7,000 mega watts target was not met but was all the N525billion spent? What happened? Why was the target not met? [/quotes]
N525 billion was APPROVED not DISBURSED. Do you need somebody to tell u d difference?

Any reason why it was not disbursed considering the importance and urgency?
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Arnold1(m): 7:46am On Sep 21, 2011
Princek12:

mega watts; mega money; mega fools; mega wayo; mega 419; mega mega.

very soon people will start naming their children megawatts.

what happened to GEJ's promise of privatization?

even if GEJ can't privatize the power sector, the least he can do is to deregulate the industry, paving way for states to generate their own electricity.

I will like to see govt hands off the industry; let it be private sector driven.

The govt's role should be strictly confined to regulating the industry.

If we let states get involved, corruption, mismanagement and nepotism
will be the order of the day.

MTN, GLO, ZAIN etc are not perfect but you can't compare
them to NEPA PHCN !
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by OmoTier1(m): 8:10am On Sep 21, 2011
manny4life:

Since you're so pessimistic, why don't Gov. Fashola float a $1 to $5billion bond to build his own integrated system to support what the FG is supplying to the state. It's researched that one can produce 1MW with $1.5 to $1.8million. A $2billion bond from Lagos investors alone will generate 1,000MW and still have quote a few change left to upgrade all distribution and transmission lines. Now we know that Lagos DOES NOT get 1,300MW, I think this is good idea for r Gov. When built in three or four phases, in short time period, in about 2.5 years he will have an operating system in place and can charge as high tariff as he wants.
So even after reading my post you still fail to grasp the understanding that any investment by states in power generation is a complete waste of the resources as the relevant laws at the moment gives liberty ONLY to the FG to evacuate and distribute power using the national grid - meaning, Lagos can expend huge sums of money into power generation and the FG will come and evacuate it into the national gird BUT distribute and as we have keenly observed,to states/regions other than Lagos! The sorry tale is Lagos tax payers foot the bill for the generation and get nothing in return for thier investment! Not a wise deal 'm sorry.

If you are not aware, as your post suggest you aren't, apart from Rivers State no other state has invested more into IPPs than Lagos State.-Remember the Eron project? First ever IPP initiated by Tinubu and completed by Fashola in his first tenure.  Even Lagos is subtly building her own distribution network in and around the island, using the NASCO model in Jos as a blue print.

In conclusion, it is still dark days in the power sector as GEJ has failed to take bold steps required to solve the numerous problems in the sector.

The idea that the FG should complete and make funtional existing power plants and therafter sell them off -I find strange, and as we have come to know, this PDP led FG can not transact business that will benefit Nigerians! If in doubt ask the NASS probe committe on privitazation.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Demdem(m): 9:31am On Sep 21, 2011
The Retardeen Promised me 7000MW by April 2011. This is September 2011, he has just achieved a little above 4000MW. This is shear failure. All hope is not lost at least since Barth is still in office.
By the way, all u guys claiming improvement, i honestly not feeling it in my domain here in PH. na wa ooooo.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by ocelot2006(m): 10:09am On Sep 21, 2011
Well, I'm inclined to believe the Minister. Over here in Jalingo (Taraba State), power supply has been almost constant. If there's any outage, it's only for a few mins. Then again, the population here is quite low compared to commercial centres like Lagos, Port Harcourt. So power consumption will be low.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Can I Import From China / How Do I Invest In Crypto Currency? / Gtbank Mobile Money,A Hit Or A Miss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.