Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,630 members, 7,816,593 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

Broiler Business Is Bad Business - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Broiler Business Is Bad Business (2864 Views)

I Met A Successful Fema Poultry Farmer, Making Six Figures In Broiler Business / Broiler Business Seminar / 5000 Broiler Business. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Broiler Business Is Bad Business by Peledonomy: 8:34am On Apr 15, 2023
People are selling 6 weeks broilers for 2k and 2.5k. There is no profit na. It takes approximately #2200 to grow 1 broiler to table size at 6 weeks.

1 Like

Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by nickyvil: 8:41am On Apr 15, 2023
Peledonomy:
People are selling 6 weeks broilers for 2k and 2.5k. There is no profit na. It takes approximately #2200 to grow 1 broiler to table size at 6 weeks.

Your the one not getting it right.. Broiler is the most profitable of all.

2 Likes

Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by Peledonomy: 8:47am On Apr 15, 2023
nickyvil:

How please explain

1 Like

Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by greenermodels: 8:55am On Apr 15, 2023
Peledonomy:
depends on your location, in Onitsha, it sells for 5-6 on the open market depending on size while bulk supplies is from 4k.

2 Likes

Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by ahiboilandgas: 8:55am On Apr 15, 2023
Peledonomy:
increase the value chain. Open a chicken butchery shop near a Market and also sell roasted Gas chicken and chicken shawarma . With this strategy you will sell same chicken for 3.5 and make around 700 to 800 per chicken .Na value addition oyinbo use finish us.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by nickyvil: 8:57am On Apr 15, 2023
Peledonomy:

How please explain

First there is no way you will spend 2200 on a broiler for 6weeks and if you do then it means you must have been feeding it day and night non stop, if you feed a broiler non stop for six week you should get nothing less than 3kg unless its not a broiler from a good hatchery. Now from farm kilo is sold nothing less than #2,000. Let say 400grams was intestine and dirts, so your still left with atleast 2.5kg which you will sell nothing less that #4500 or #5,000.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by nickyvil: 9:02am On Apr 15, 2023
Now if you the one doing it yourself, i need you to answer this question??
Which feeds do you use??
Aside New Hope or Hendrix, all other feeds wont give you much result, topfeed is just trying but you see this hybrid its worst. Now mistake people do is they give broiler starter mash which it wont have any effect on the chicken. Give your broiler starter from a day old till 5weeks and then broiler finishe from 5th week till your ready to sell.

1 Like

Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by Peledonomy: 9:08am On Apr 15, 2023
nickyvil:

First there is no way you will spend 2200 on a broiler for 6weeks and if you do then it means you must have been feeding it day and night non stop, if you feed a broiler non stop for six week you should get nothing less than 3kg unless its not a broiler from a good hatchery. Now from farm kilo is sold nothing less than #2,000. Let say 400grams was intestine and dirts, so your still left with atleast 2.5kg which you will sell nothing less that #4500 or #5,000.

In uyo where I stay, the market is not like that. People that roast chicken by the roadside buy it live at that rate. If you don't sell to them, who will you sell to?
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by CodeTemplar: 9:09am On Apr 15, 2023
Like someone said value addition is an option. Another way out is to look at where you are sourcing their feedstock from. Are you overpaying or buying the wrong breed or buying adulterated feed?

One kilo in market is around N1,500 so 2.25kg of flesh and bone should fetch above N3000.

1 Like

Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by Wodu89: 9:10am On Apr 15, 2023
Peledonomy:

You are right. If you're not the end seller, don't rear broilers

1 Like

Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by Peledonomy: 9:10am On Apr 15, 2023
ahiboilandgas:
increase the value chain. Open a chicken butchery shop near a Market and also sell roasted Gas chicken and chicken shawarma . With this strategy you will sell same chicken for 3.5 and make around 700 to 800 per chicken .Na value addition oyinbo use finish us.

For uyo here, na value addition wey competition dey pass
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by ahiboilandgas: 9:13am On Apr 15, 2023
Peledonomy:

For uyo here, na value addition wey competition dey pass
then carve out a niche for your self . Find out the weakness in other and upgrade .only the cleaness of a bucher shop attract and retain customer not all those flies infested shops
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by nickyvil: 9:13am On Apr 15, 2023
Once chicken is 1.5kg is good to go, all you need to do is restrategized and turned it into frozen and sell. Frozen have a fixed price and if you use a good feed and get your chicks from a good hatchery, at 4weeks you should get 1.6-1.8kg but you need to feed day and night and the only feeds that can give you that is new hope or hendrix feeds

Peledonomy:

In uyo where I stay, the market is not like that. People that roast chicken by the roadside buy it live at that rate. If you don't sell to them, who will you sell to?

1 Like

Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by Peledonomy: 9:16am On Apr 15, 2023
I will just switch to cat fish farming
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by BMathew: 9:16am On Apr 15, 2023
Even if you raise just 100 broilers till 6weeks of age, you wouldn't have spent #2,200 on each of the birds.

You don't just raise into the business cus you heard there's money in it.
If you meet a Professional in the biz, he/she will tell you that between #1,500-1700 you will raise your birds to 6weeks and between #1,800-#2000 you will raise them till 8weeks by that time, you must been sure of pretty weight to boost your profit.
Things to focus while raising broilers, the health and the weight, if you by chance miss one or focus too much on one you will end up loosing both.
Talking as a Professional.

2 Likes

Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by Peledonomy: 9:33am On Apr 15, 2023
BMathew:
Even if you raise just 100 broilers till 6weeks of age, you wouldn't have spent #2,200 on each of the birds.

You don't just raise into the business cus you heard there's money in it.
If you meet a Professional in the biz, he/she will tell you that between #1,500-1700 you will raise your birds to 6weeks and between #1,800-#2000 you will raise them till 8weeks by that time, you must been sure of pretty weight to boost your profit.
Things to focus while raising broilers, the health and the weight, if you by chance miss one or focus too much on one you will end up loosing both.
Talking as a Professional.

Which state in Nigeria
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by jumper524(m): 9:42am On Apr 15, 2023
nickyvil:

bros it's no longer profitable again.
Marketers are exploiting farmers, people have loosed interest as many people now train it in their own house.

3 Likes

Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by Wodu89: 9:51am On Apr 15, 2023
jumper524:
Marketers are exploiting farmers, people have loosed interest as many people now train it in their own house.

I agree
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by nickyvil: 9:55am On Apr 15, 2023
jumper524:

Thiis is what i do and marketer are not loosing interest, you need to strategize and dont do above your customer base, start small to build a customer base and you dont need a marketer to sell, go to cold room, and frozen people yourself and market it. Dont wait for a marketer to market for you.
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by nickyvil: 9:57am On Apr 15, 2023
This is what i do and i sell over 1tones every two weeks, i dont deal with marketer, i walk straight to end buyers, cold rooms and frozen shops to market, you will be surprised how they will start calling and demanding from you.

Wodu89:

I agree
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by Wodu89: 10:08am On Apr 15, 2023
nickyvil:
This is what i do and i sell over 1tones every two weeks, i dont deal with marketer, i walk straight to end buyers, cold rooms and frozen shops to market, you will be surprised how they will start calling and demanding from you.

It's the same thing. The marketers are exploiting the situation. Cold room o, frozen foods stores o. All of them are exploiting the situation
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by nickyvil: 10:17am On Apr 15, 2023
How?? Some people dont have a customer base yet they do chicken in large quantity, you start small to build customer base, at the same time you go out to market not just sit at comfort of your home.

Wodu89:

It's the same thing. The marketers are exploiting the situation. Cold room o, frozen foods stores o. All of them are exploiting the situation
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by Wodu89: 10:32am On Apr 15, 2023
nickyvil:
How?? Some people dont have a customer base yet they do chicken in large quantity, you start small to build customer base, at the same time you go out to market not just sit at comfort of your home.

The business don knack
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by nickyvil: 10:55am On Apr 15, 2023
I dont need to go forth and back on this..

Wodu89:

The business don knack
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by Wodu89: 11:02am On Apr 15, 2023
nickyvil:

The feeling is mutual
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by Sukkyy2010: 6:48pm On Apr 18, 2023
nickyvil:

I've read through all your comment on this thread then I got to realize that you're insights are all positive. Please what advise can you give to a prospective beginner like me basically on the marketing aspect of it.
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by nickyvil: 9:50pm On Apr 18, 2023
Sukkyy2010:

I've read through all your comment on this thread then I got to realize that you're insights are all positive. Please what advise can you give to a prospective beginner like me basically on the marketing aspect of it.

First your location??
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by DFPS: 4:33am On Apr 19, 2023
nickyvil:

Thiis is what i do and marketer are not loosing interest, you need to strategize and dont do above your customer base, start small to build a customer base and you dont need a marketer to sell, go to cold room, and frozen people yourself and market it. Dont wait for a marketer to market for you.
how can one sell 4000+ old layers without using marketers
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by nickyvil: 7:19am On Apr 19, 2023
DFPS:
how can one sell 4000+ old layers without using marketers

About layers, price and mode of your communication with your client matter. Now for you to have 4000 spent layers, it means you have transport to move your egg up and down and you already established customer, now tell your customer, go to market and talk to people that sells chicken and lastly beat your price down and do a direct radio station advert.
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by Sukkyy2010: 10:25am On Apr 19, 2023
nickyvil:

First your location??
Lagos state
Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by staga: 10:35am On Apr 19, 2023
nickyvil:

It costs N2,700 to N2,800 to raise a broiler. I challenge you to provide facts and figures and I will show you mine.

Most market people come pricing them for N3,000 or N3,300. You only make the money selling to those buying it per kg, in which case you have to keep your birds for at least 8 weeks to attain 4kg, so that when you slaughter, you can get 2.5kg killed weight which gives you anything from N4,000 to N5,000 per bird. You make the most money if you open a joint where you sell fried or roasted chicken with rice, or you do shawarma.

You cannot sell in the open market unless you get a shop, join the union and spend other initial money to get yourself an established retail outlet. Also, sales are seasonal. Easter coincided with Eid-El-Fitri in the same month this year. Then there is the Eid-El-Kabir and also Christmas later in the year.

I own a broiler farm so I speak with loads of experience. I also have land where I farm maize twice a year using the 50-day variety. This cuts my feed costs during the rainy season, considering that a kilo of maize (60% of the constituent of chicken feed) is now N245.

2 Likes

Re: Broiler Business Is Bad Business by nickyvil: 11:17am On Apr 19, 2023
This is where you mixing things up, first im a vet surgeon and at the same time i have more than 10 top farms i consult for cos its my job. I have a broiler farm and every week i rear atleast 200 broiler to six or 8weeks depending on hatchery farm. Now Agrited breed Ross while Chi breed AA+ and the different is Agrited pick from the start while CHI pick but are excellent for 8weeks cos of the pace they attain weight from 6 to 8weeks but i get that 4kg within 6weeks in agrited. Now let me explain and enlighten you, the first mistake is to mixed feed for yourself cos the cos of quality feed is even higher than buying feed from the market, secondly im not a seasonal farmer but i advice people as a seasonal farmer to apply wisdom.
Let me start by seasonal farmer, now as a season farmer all you need to do is from a day old to 4weeks give them necessary feed, better you start with new hope to bring out there future then if possible feed them day and night for 2weeks. After 4 weeks change to top field finisher and feed them during the day alone for another 4weeks. You dont need weight here. But the futures will come out well. If you give hybrid or feed you make it wont grow cos all this company always subsidize their price.

staga:

It costs N2,700 to N2,800 to raise a broiler. I challenge you to provide facts and figures and I will show you mine.

Most market people come pricing them for N3,000 or N3,300. You only make the money selling to those buying it per kg, in which case you have to keep your birds for at least 8 weeks to attain 4kg, so that when you slaughter, you can get 2.5kg killed weight which gives you anything from N4,000 to N5,000 per bird. You make the most money if you open a joint where you sell fried or roasted chicken with rice, or you do shawarma.

You cannot sell in the open market unless you get a shop, join the union and spend other initial money to get yourself an established retail outlet. Also, sales are seasonal. Easter coincided with Eid-El-Fitri in the same month this year. Then there is the Eid-El-Kabir and also Christmas later in the year.

I own a broiler farm so I speak with loads of experience. I also have land where I farm maize twice a year using the 50-day variety. This cuts my feed costs during the rainy season, considering that a kilo of maize (60% of the constituent of chicken feed) is now N245.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Termites On Snail Farm / A 10 Years Old Boy Killed This 11ft Long Python In The Farm / Feeding Your Fishes With Crayfish And Indomie, How True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.