Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,605 members, 7,840,436 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? (69638 Views)

You Remember The NTA Ladies Of The 1970-90s? / Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) / Watch The Grave Dust: Late Actor Obi Madubogwu’s Last Film Before His Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Lexusgs430: 6:05pm On Apr 17, 2023
Gbogbowa:
you cant compare samanja with jagua now

I go expose your real age ........πŸ˜­πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by lexy2014: 6:05pm On Apr 17, 2023
AfahaAbia:

This is what I keep telling people. It's better to have one child that have sense than battalion children that can't carry your legacy

have you carried your fathers legacy?

2 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Gbogbowa: 6:06pm On Apr 17, 2023
Spiritualsdeeps:

Suradi Tailor is that One.. Sura Sura Sura di Tailor is your Man...

Good Old Days.. Not for Indomie Generation
not at all
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by lexy2014: 6:06pm On Apr 17, 2023
Gbogbowa:
you cant compare samanja with jagua now

he didnt compare. he only said dont forget samanja. same way he could have said dont forget new masquerade

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by thatigboman: 6:07pm On Apr 17, 2023
Onyipk:
The yester years of beautiful programmes on our NTA network. The days of Jaguar, Samanja, Second Chance etc. The good old days...
TV programmes actually bores me now...
and New Masquerade
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Philanderboy(m): 6:09pm On Apr 17, 2023
Icrave4u:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaQU4Sph9pU

MY BELLE O, MY HEAD O!!! Do you still remember this Yoruba Actor called JAGUA?

Chief James Afolabi Afolayan MON, MFR popularly known as Jagua was born 4th July 1946 in Iludun-Oro kwara state Nigeria.

He managed on his own to finish secondary education but his journey into entertainment started when he was just 8years old in his paternal hometown Iludun-Oro where he formed the Iludun-Oro Jolly Mambo. It was a singing group.

The young Afolabi then go about adding spice to social gatherings by singing.. Yes he was a singer and a great dancer too.

He did this for some years until he met the doyen of Nigeria theatre, the iconic Hubert Ogunde.

James Afolabi learnt that Chief Ogunde and his group will be performing in Esie so he made plans to be there,saved up some money from selling bush meat so he could make it to the show.

On getting there he was intrigued by Chief Ogunde's musical rendition and decided he was going to move to Lagos to have chief train him in music.

James Afolabi whose family was mainly into buying and selling expressed his desire to go fully into music to his family and they never objected despite the fact that such professions was seen as mainly for the "never do well" in those days.

Few days after a family member brought young Afolabi to Lagos and they headed to Chief Ogunde's office and joined a very long queue of people wanting to join the group.

Eventually it was Afolabi Afolayan's turn to audition and though baba Ogunde thought he was very young, he also saw that he was very determined.He then handed daddy to his first wife saying " Gba omo e ni" ( take him, he is your child)

Afolabi said he never knew baba Ogungbe was also into acting. He said he admired his stage presence.

Afolabi said for him as a young person it was divine whenever baba graced the stage.

Afolabi Afolayan considers Baba Ogunde as a father and his first wife who took him in a mother.

He was with Chief Ogunde and family for 2years (1960-1962).

Afolabi Afolayan also trained under Akinsola Ogungbe before he teamed up with his friend Ishola Ogunsola aka Isho Pepper to form the Afolayan Ogunsola Theatre group in 1964.

Afolabi was the main singer and instrumentalist in the group while Ishola composed more of the stage performances.

The performances was rendered in Yoruba language.
Besides other productions, I remember they did "Iyawo alalubosa"together...back then, it was quite popular.

Besides music, 'Folabi( like his friends and family calls him)was known to be the fun guy at every gathering.

He just loves making people laugh and as time goes on he realizes he seem to be more interested in the comedy aspect of acting and went for it.

He met very young Elyzar Taylor a Sierraleonian who was still a student at the time.

It was Elyzar who gave him the stage name Jagua and advised him to act in pidgin English as that will cut across every tribe and make them more widely accessible.

Jagua also called Elyzar Grace on stage. That was how Jagua play Group was born.

They had their first major television show in 1968 with RKTV Kaduna.

Jagua and Grace got married in 1970. Grace was juggling marriage and the group while still in school.

With God by their side and love from friends and fans who we see as family, the Jagua brand became widely accepted.

Jagua comedy was in all the NTA stations, was in almost every Nigerian home.

It is devoid of vulgar languages...you don't have to send your children to bed because you want to watch Jagua...it is actually a family programme and many children look up to it.

Jagua comedy entertained and educated most of us via TV screens and live stage performances.

They were also involved in charity causes.

They entertained the less privileged for free, raised money to champion charitable causes, entertained our troops abroad (ECOMOG).

In the very early years of Nollywood, Jagua and his group made some home videos which was released in VHS cassettes but most of his works are with the NTA.

Jagua was recognised by the Nigerian government for his works hence his national honours.

As a father, he was a great father and friend.

The laughter never stops on stage.
He was the best. He died Oct 5th 2000.

23years on, we still hear his signature tune "my belle ooo my head o"

My Ancestor!!
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by nonhuman(m): 6:09pm On Apr 17, 2023
Foodqueen:
Na him de carry sewing machine for shoulder

Na question i ask o.
indomie baby spotted

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Spiritualsdeeps: 6:10pm On Apr 17, 2023
Antipob777:
Obedient won't know this man. They are indomue generation.

My belle oooo my head ooo.
Jagoooo my man.
Keep Resting in peace
U mean All Obidients are Youth.

Unfortunately Many know the Man.
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by windofchange: 6:10pm On Apr 17, 2023
KingMack:
if ya papa get television jus expect neighborhood children for una crib when ever dem dey show jagua program for NTA...una wey get TV go kalk for chair, near neighbor's go sit for rug, far neighbor's go stand for outside πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
The Good old days meeeehnnn. grin

2 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by bodyloveghetto(m): 6:10pm On Apr 17, 2023
Epo kinkin
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Foodqueen(f): 6:12pm On Apr 17, 2023
nonhuman:
indomie baby spotted

U no well 🦁.

Indomie baby no fit even no say anyone carry sewing machine.

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Kog45(m): 6:13pm On Apr 17, 2023
Kai home of Yoruba theater na Kwara State o
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by henrimoto(m): 6:15pm On Apr 17, 2023
madridguy:
Oh back in the days when we will have to wait till NTA open their station.

Sweet memories.. Jagua ... My belle oooo my head oooo.

4 PM. Thank God for AIT Television that started 24 hrs. Television.

4 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by KingMack(m): 6:16pm On Apr 17, 2023
windofchange:

The Good old days meeeehnnn. grin

Ah swerru gad bro

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by ukaface(f): 6:17pm On Apr 17, 2023
I can’t relate
Na yesterday dem born me

Tor!
Almost everyone saying they remember watching it as a child, I no know say na old people Dey this forum o.
If I don yab you before, Abeg no vex.

3 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Tonytonex(m): 6:19pm On Apr 17, 2023
Alitair:
Jagua, Oseni, Julie and Grace.

My dad loved his comics and movies. The VHS tapes are still in my father's house till date.
kai. E don teh.
I no fit remember am well well
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by ukaface(f): 6:20pm On Apr 17, 2023
AfahaAbia:

This is what I keep telling people. It's better to have one child that have sense than battalion children that can't carry your legacy
But must children follow the pathway of their father? What if they are into something else or they don’t like acting?
But no be this man be them kunle, Aremu and Gabriel Afolayan papa??
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Probity100: 6:21pm On Apr 17, 2023
Foodqueen:
Na him de carry sewing machine for shoulder

Na question i ask o.

You must be at least over 45years.....
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by aycorporat(m): 6:22pm On Apr 17, 2023
I remember his
2 times 1 21
2 tines 2 22
2 times 3 23
2 times 4 24

And so on... I remembered that day in parlour as Dad laughed and laughed.

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by superCleanworks(m): 6:22pm On Apr 17, 2023
oz4real83:
"my belle ooo, my head oo", my belle oo, my head ooo" cheesy grin. He was one of those top artists in Nigerian comedy and a musician with a great voice on black and white television those days cheesy cheesy, he was a contributor to the fun we had in childhood, continue to rest on great oneπŸ™πŸΌ

Tell me... where dem born you.. NIGERIA. 🎢
I can still sing that song complete sha.

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Kakamorufu(m): 6:22pm On Apr 17, 2023
i heard of his name sha. Not sure i remember watching his works.
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Probity100: 6:23pm On Apr 17, 2023
Ladiesdoctor:
Jaguar and these characters Grace (his wife) and Julie.
The best comedy movie in those days.

My belle o my head o....

I carry am come o akrika, I carry trouble come o akrika....

I dey see blue.....

Allah jikan rai......

I wonder why his movies are not in the internet.

Good old days

Nigeria was sweet before

I still love his movies dearly and I can't wait to watch them again through the internet.

Respected Elder on Nairaland

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Ladiesdoctor(m): 6:23pm On Apr 17, 2023
Alitair:
Jagua, Oseni, Julie and Grace.

My dad loved his comics and movies. The VHS tapes are still in my father's house till date.

You can make cool cash.
Get the permission and upload them in the YouTube
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Ladiesdoctor(m): 6:24pm On Apr 17, 2023
Pusyiter:
The question is
He has children who were part of his cast
Where are they now?
Can't they immortalise their father's legacy

I wonder oo
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by kevotek1000(m): 6:25pm On Apr 17, 2023
Why not Jagua... My belle o my head o... Good memories

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Probity100: 6:25pm On Apr 17, 2023
I think seun should create Elder's Forum on Nairaland.....
They can bring old memories and teach young ones history.

4 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by kelvyn7: 6:27pm On Apr 17, 2023
Memories smiley

I particularly remember one of his episodes where he was feeling sick and was supposed to provide a sample of his urine at the hospital for test. So he had the urine sample kept close to his bed and was supposed to take it to the hospital the next morning.
His wife, Grace mistakenly kicked the container of the urine sample and spilled it...this was going to be trouble from Jaguar so, she quick went to the restroom and got her own urine sample instead, to avoid trouble from jaguar.
Next morning jaguar was told at the hospital that the result says he is pregnant grin
he was wailing, singing and crying till he got home
"Jaguar don get belle ooo iyo iyo, e go born tomorrow iyo iyo" grin
Grace later told him what happened to the urine sample grin grin

I also remember State Mugu grin

7 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by VinnyBaba: 6:27pm On Apr 17, 2023
Lol, This Man is a LEGEND. πŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ

Jagua
Grace
Baba Commander.

Sham we no go Gree
Sham Sam we no go Gree. cheesy
He had a Funny way of Speaking. 😊

Who remembers an Episode when he used FERTILIZER as Salt to soak Garri. shocked πŸ€” πŸ˜„
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by sorepco(m): 6:29pm On Apr 17, 2023
[quote author=Icrave4u post=122543330]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaQU4Sph9pU

MY BELLE O, MY HEAD O!!! Do you still remember this Yoruba Actor called JAGUA?

Please do not call him Yoruba actor. He was universally adored. Do not 'pigeonhole' this great man please!

3 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by mightyhaze: 6:29pm On Apr 17, 2023
My belle o

My head o

I carry am come oo

Akirika grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Neddyogu(m): 6:31pm On Apr 17, 2023
Pusyiter:
The question is
He has children who were part of his cast
Where are they now?
Can't they immortalise their father's legacy
I think Kunle Afolayan is his son. Maybe wrong tho
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by madridguy(m): 6:31pm On Apr 17, 2023
Yes ooo, they only open in the morning during weekend. I swear AIT was our saviour.

henrimoto:
4 PM. Thank God for AIT Television that started 24 hrs. Television.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hilarious Reactions Trail Gifty's Eviction From Big Brother Naija (Photos) / "Debbie-Rise's BBNaijaFinale Outfit & Sunlight Detergent Cover Lookalike" (Pics) / The Lord Of The Rings Characters, Their Look After 17years(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.