Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,583 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl (19007 Views)

I Wanted To Start a Mini Poultry business And Need Advice / Mini Poultry With OBJ Marshall Male Line (my Experience ) / Welcome to my Mini Poultry. Whereby I’m using mostly Organic Vaccinations. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by pamb: 7:09am On May 13, 2023
Go for noiler,high resistance,good yield in meat and egg,very economical to rear
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Theanchor: 7:15am On May 13, 2023
Emeskhalifa:

Wow really? Is that advisable for broilers? Feed them with leftovers instead of their food that comes inside sack?
The Feed that comes inside sack is somebody's business idea developed to make money and not that broilers cannot eat any other thing. They are simply chickens and nothing so special about them. I rear them, so I know what am talking about

2 Likes

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Theanchor: 7:32am On May 13, 2023
olarent:
Please how do you do it?presently i have 3broiler,2noiler and 3 turkey for personal rearing have spent close to 25k on their feeding they refuse to eat left over food how can i do it so that they we start eaten leftover food?

I give them starter feed only for the first two weeks. Then grind corn and mix with the feed and start giving them from the 3rd week. The saint of the feed will not allow them to reject the corn. From 4thweek, I will stop mixing the corn with any feed and that's how they will pick up.
So the trick is introducing those other foods to them very early. If you give them feed for a long time, they will definitely reject anything else. And again, if they reject it and you give them feed because they rejected it, then they will continue to reject it. But if they reject it and you ignore them, when they get very hungry, they will start eating it.

Am talking from experience!

7 Likes

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Melonsmasher: 7:41am On May 13, 2023
Theanchor:

they will continue to reject it. But if they reject it and you ignore them, when they get very hungry, they will start eating it.
grin grin hunger is no joke for any living thing!

2 Likes

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Melonsmasher: 7:56am On May 13, 2023
Kuroiler Chicken Vs Noiler Chicken: Differences and economic benefits

These two breeds of chicken are good converter of feed; they are dual purpose breed with relatively good yield compare to other breeds of chicken, they are hardy and more resistant to poultry diseases.

These virtues have made Kuroiler chicken and Noiler chicken desirable.

Kuroiler chicken and Noiler chicken are different breeds, some farmers still think they are the same, probably as a result of their appearance. They are different breeds, the differences between the two breeds are explained below with their economic benefits.

CHARACTERISTICS OF NOILER CHICKEN
The Noiler chicken is a dual-purpose breed of chicken developed in Nigeria by Amo Farm Sieberer Hatchery. Noiler is a hybrid of broiler and cockerel, thus, share desired traits of both broiler and cockerel.

Appearance
Unlike broiler chickens, Noiler chickens come in varying colors: black, white, yellowish, brown and grey patches.

Growth rate
Noiler chicken is a fast-growing chicken; they consume more than other breeds but are good converter. they mature at 4 months with weight varying from 3-4kg. They are good converter of feed.
Noiler chickens can be harvested at four months and the farmer can get over 3kg of meat compared to cockerel which takes about six months to attain 2kg. Aside from their fast-growth rate, they are good foragers and can thrive well on forage and kitchen waste.

Noiler meat
Noilers meat possesses white meat and more nutritious. It is tough in nature with a distinct indigenous taste which makes the meat sweeter compare to other breeds.
Their meat production remains high as long as they feed properly. In about 12 weeks, the chickens will be matured enough for slaughtering- weighs 3.5kg or more at maturity. Cocks have proven to weigh more than this.
Noiler chickens are perfect alternatives. Also, meat is evenly distributed over the chicken’s body parts.

Eggs production
Noiler chicken should start laying eggs at 22 weeks old. As soon as they begin their egg laying session, it goes on for two years. They lay up to 200 eggs per year; the size of their eggs is relatively bigger with good quality, both internal and external. Their eggs are extremely bigger and with dark-yellow yolk when compared with our local chicken.
Noiler chicken breeds are undoubtedly a reliever for farmers in terms of feeding habit and output ratio when compared to other breeds. If kept in a disease-free environment, the breed is always strong and healthy throughout the four months.

CHARACTERISTICS OF KUROILER CHICKEN
Kuroiler chicken is a dual-purpose hybrid breed developed in India. The Kuroiler chicken is the result of the cross between either White Leghorn roosters with Rhode Island Red hens (laying hen) or colored broiler roosters crossed with Rhode Island Red hens (laying hens)
Kuroilers are highly adaptive breed of chicken; they are well adapted to any climatic condition. They are good for saving cost as they can thrive on forage and kitchen waste. Kuroiler chickens, being a native of India, are very popular among the farmers in India. Thanks to Grinphield Hatchery produce kuroilers chicken in Nigeria. The only hatchery producing it until now.

Appearance
Like Noiler chickens, Kuroiler chickens come in varying colors: black, white, yellowish, brown and grey patches.

Growth rate
Kuroiler chickens grow faster than Noiler. However, care must be taken when rearing Kuroiler chickens; they are best reared in a free-range system or semi-intensive system, where they scavenge what they eat themselves.
Feeding Kuroiler chickens formulated feed is inefficient because they do not convert formulated feeds better than they do for forages. This is as a result of their genetic make-up.

Kuroiler meat
The meat of Kuroiler chicken is white and very nutritious. When allowed to forage, a farmer can get up to 5 kg at 4 months.

Eggs production
Kuroiler hens come to lay at approximately 4 months. They start to lay faster than Noiler hens. Kuroilers lay up to 200 eggs per year.

Resistance to diseases
Noilers are truly hardy but kuroiler are hardier. Kuroiler are well adapted compared to Noiler. Noiler chickens are more susceptible to coccidiosis compared to Kuroiler. Also, deformities in Kuroiler are infrequent compare to other breeds.

Conclusion
With either of these breeds of chicken, a farmer can successfully earn more with less efforts or inputs. Kuroiler and Noiler chickens are both easy to raise. Cost-wise, they are more effective and better converter of feed.

5 Likes

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Emeskhalifa(m): 7:59am On May 13, 2023
Theanchor:

The Feed that comes inside sack is somebody's business idea developed to make money and not that broilers cannot eat any other thing. They are simply chickens and nothing so special about them. I rear them, so I know what am talking about

I just started the business but honestly looking gor all possible means to cut down expenses and still maintain their growth. I got them just last Tuesday and intend to sell dem during Coming sallah. So I have been adviced to feed them very well
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Iamsane: 8:18am On May 13, 2023
Theanchor:
I have been rearing chickens just for family consumption for over 2yrs now and I can tell you it's a good thing to do. But coming to the best breed, well it all depends on you as no particular breed is better than the other in the real sense of it.
Noilers are good but the prize per day old is even higher than some good breeds of broilers whereas broilers grow bigger than them.
As for egg production, I have reared broilers that started laying eggs from 6months and continued until I slaughtered them.
As for feeding, the only time I give my broilers feed is in their first two weeks after which I feed them with corn and leftovers and just anything that local chickens eat, yet if you see their sizes and weight, you will marvel. And when you cook them, you hardly distinguish their tastes from that of local chickens.

You sabi this thing o.
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by DrDax: 8:32am On May 13, 2023
Glory2DLamb:
N O I L E R S is what you are looking for.

They grow bigger than broilers and lay well.

Mine are roaming like local chicken behind my house. Though I give them some feed, they depend on insects and grasses more than the feed because I want 100 percent organic products.

They don't grow any bigger.

The only advantage is their ability to withstand stress, unlike broilers.

Their meat tastes better though.

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by mitchelle16(f): 9:09am On May 13, 2023
Please can someone give me a breakdown on the medication to be given to broiler from day old till point of sale

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by focus7: 9:09am On May 13, 2023
Theanchor:
I have been rearing chickens just for family consumption for over 2yrs now and I can tell you it's a good thing to do. But coming to the best breed, well it all depends on you as no particular breed is better than the other in the real sense of it.
Noilers are good but the prize per day old is even higher than some good breeds of broilers whereas broilers grow bigger than them.
As for egg production, I have reared broilers that started laying eggs from 6months and continued until I slaughtered them.
As for feeding, the only time I give my broilers feed is in their first two weeks after which I feed them with corn and leftovers and just anything that local chickens eat, yet if you see their sizes and weight, you will marvel. And when you cook them, you hardly distinguish their tastes from that of local chickens.

I also like broiler as equally as noiler.

Can you suggest some if the best breed of broilers?
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by yak(m): 9:11am On May 13, 2023
MissOpe:
Cockerel.
Very strong and rigid.
Can withstand any weather condition.
Feeds on anything.
Very sweet and matured in the mouth when eating.. grin grin grin

Takes a while to mature though
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Demurray: 9:30am On May 13, 2023
mitchelle16:
Please can someone give me a breakdown on the medication to be given to broiler from day old till point of sale
Ii can help but you will have to wait till evening
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by slam7000(m): 9:57am On May 13, 2023
Benki003:

I so much love that species eh ❤️🥰 when I had one I acted like a pet dog always working around with me, comes to greet me in the morning and also when am coming back from school

Omo killing that chicken was really hard for me

Killing it was hard for you but not so hard when you were eating it.
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Benki003(m): 10:01am On May 13, 2023
slam7000:

Killing it was hard for you but not so hard when you were eating it.

Let's not forget it's chicken ooh, if I don't kill it someone else would had done it, so I gave it the privilege of being consumed by its beloved owner angry

2 Likes

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by mikkyvelly: 10:41am On May 13, 2023
[quote author=tocin44 post=122701827]I am planning to start a small poultry behind my house and would appreciate suggestions from people with experience here on the best breeds to go with. Go for noiler breed, very easy to Care for & they produce good eggs & meat

What I'm looking for;

1. Easy to care for and not requiring too much attention.

2. Breed that is resilient.

3. Breed that can possibly produce small amounts of eggs for family consumption.

4. Can be fed with anything, leftovers, basically not requiring spending much on feed, even if I'll have to.

5. Can grow to a reasonable size for consumption (at least bigger than our regular local breeds)

Suggestions please.
Hoping I and others can learn from the experienced nairalanders. Thank you. 🙏 🙂 Noiler!
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Lukuluku69(m): 10:54am On May 13, 2023
tocin44:
I am planning to start a small poultry behind my house and would appreciate suggestions from people with experience here on the best breeds to go with.

What I'm looking for;

1. Easy to care for and not requiring too much attention.

2. Breed that is resilient.

3. Breed that can possibly produce small amounts of eggs for family consumption.

4. Can be fed with anything, leftovers, basically not requiring spending much on feed, even if I'll have to.

5. Can grow to a reasonable size for consumption (at least bigger than our regular local breeds)

Suggestions please.
Hoping I and others can learn from the experienced nairalanders. Thank you. 🙏 🙂

Nice one Op.

From my Experience ( Just a little over 3 years), a Mix is your best bet. A mix of Local and the Hybrids. Get Local Hens and the Hybrid Cockrel. I started with 3 Hens and one Cock ( Local Breeds) in a little over 4-5 months, they were all over my Compound that I had to start giving them out to Neighbours and we'll some people who asked.

Then someone told me that I should get a Cockrel to mate the Hens which I did and the spawns got bigger meat wise.

Bit it got to a time that they were just too.much that I had to let them out of the Compound to pick on worms, insects ( they have exhausted the ones in the compound) then some got missing (stolen by layabouts).

As for eggs, I only get that once they start laying ( a Circle of roughly 45+ or more depending on a particular hen). I only restricted them to brooding a Maximum of 8 eggs, anything over I eat.

Since that time, chicken meat/flesh has been in aboundance for me.

Occasionally, I do buy Millets, Corns and other Cereals but they have been fed mainly with leftovers.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by idrisaleo1: 10:56am On May 13, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4NuuXu0V6g

I believe Multi-purpose birds are the best. Not only for backyard farming but also commercial.

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Neddyogu(m): 11:37am On May 13, 2023
Kazan Kano
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Christistruth02: 11:55am On May 13, 2023
OPweysabi:
Abólórùn adìye.

Please what is that ?

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by MissOpe(f): 2:01pm On May 13, 2023
yak:

Takes a while to mature though

100% correct
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Theanchor: 4:09pm On May 13, 2023
Emeskhalifa:

I just started the business but honestly looking gor all possible means to cut down expenses and still maintain their growth. I got them just last Tuesday and intend to sell dem during Coming sallah. So I have been adviced to feed them very well

Yes, if it's for business, you need to be giving them those feeds so that they can attain the desired weight within the short time. That's what those feeds do.

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Theanchor: 4:24pm On May 13, 2023
focus7:

I also like broiler as equally as noiler.

Can you suggest some if the best breed of broilers?

I have tried only two breeds: Ross 308 and Cobb 500 but from my own observation, Ross grows fatter than Cobb but Cobb grows taller than Ross.
Again, Cobb is more active than Ross.

But I learnt that Abor Acre breed is also good.
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Airlord2030: 5:27pm On May 13, 2023
SsweetAnn:

Noise ? Really? Are you sure you're talking about cockerel? Or do you mean the noise in the morning about 6 to 7? Well, thaga normal, they do. But in my house we have their house few radius away from the main building. But give it to cockerel, they are very strong.
i know but they crow too much
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Emeskhalifa(m): 6:02pm On May 13, 2023
Theanchor:

Yes, if it's for business, you need to be giving them those feeds so that they can attain the desired weight within the short time. That's what those feeds do.

Wow thanks for the advice

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Organs(m): 3:01am On May 14, 2023
Benki003:

I so much love that species eh ❤️🥰 when I had one I acted like a pet dog always working around with me, comes to greet me in the morning and also when am coming back from school

Omo killing that chicken was really hard for me

How can you kill a chicken like that, haba, Shame on you sir!

2 Likes

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by NutritionGuru: 7:12am On May 14, 2023
Theanchor:

I give them starter feed only for the first two weeks. Then grind corn and mix with the feed and start giving them from the 3rd week. The saint of the feed will not allow them to reject the corn. From 4thweek, I will stop mixing the corn with any feed and that's how they will pick up.
So the trick is introducing those other foods to them very early. If you give them feed for a long time, they will definitely reject anything else. And again, if they reject it and you give them feed because they rejected it, then they will continue to reject it. But if they reject it and you ignore them, when they get very hungry, they will start eating it.

Am talking from experience!
Please, what herbs or medicine do you give them to prevent Cocsidiosis, Minigitis, etc.
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by NutritionGuru: 7:19am On May 14, 2023
Theanchor:

I have tried only two breeds: Ross 308 and Cobb 500 but from my own observation, Ross grows fatter than Cobb but Cobb grows taller than Ross.

But I learnt that About Acre breed is also good.
Please, what herbs or medicine do you give them to prevent Cocsidiosis, Minigitis, etc.
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by LordGuru1: 7:23am On May 14, 2023
OPweysabi:
Abólórùn adìye.
grin This is the sweetest Specie of Chickens. Honestly, if you have not eaten this, you have not known the sweetest taste of Chicken.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by focus7: 4:57pm On May 15, 2023
Theanchor:

But I learnt that Abor Acre breed is also good.

Thanks
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by joycluv: 3:36am On May 17, 2023
pamb:
Go for noiler,high resistance,good yield in meat and egg,very economical to rear

Do these Noilers hatch their eggs just as Local hens?
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Demurray: 5:16am On May 17, 2023
Emeskhalifa:

Wow really? Is that advisable for broilers? Feed them with leftovers instead of their food that comes inside sack?
With leftover, it may survive but with lower percentage compared with their feeds.
It's advisable to feed broilers with their feeds for high yielding and survival, unlike noilers and cockerel.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Charcoal Suppliers, Let's Meet Here / #Treated Dwarf Cameroonian Hybrid Plantain & Banana Suckers 4 Sale @ Chip Prices / Agro Alliied Equipment Service, Manufacturing, Sales,installation And Maintenanc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.