Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt (8841 Views)

"UK Employer Asking For My Linkedin Password" / I Got Sacked After Asking For My Four Month Salary. / How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by pheelhip(m): 7:47pm On May 01, 2023
Good evening Nairalanders

Please what are your thoughts on companies asking for a collateral or Binding agreement before offering an Employment offer to their preferred candidate?

Collateral can be (Landed property, Assets, Specific amount in millions)
Kindly Share your thoughts.
Should one give in or walk away?

2 Likes

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by princely4ever: 8:08pm On May 01, 2023
Initially, my thought was that it's extraordinary and irrational especially when it's a collateral. If you're talking about a bond agreement in which I know it as, then the employee has to pay a fine for breaking the agreement. In this case, it's common to involve an attorney.

The reason for the bond is usually due to the company who takes the responsibility in financing the employee's professional training. Other than that, why would a company seek collateral from some individual simply applying for a job? The agreement may require that such a candidate of the agreement would be required to work for, for example, 48 months for the company after receiving the training financed or provided by the company but they still earn salary. If at any point the candidate or employee breaches the agreement, they are usually required to pay a fine or hefty price or even a collateral like you said which I know to be uncommon. But like I said, it always involves a lawyer and it could be from both parties.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by pheelhip(m): 5:48am On May 02, 2023
princely4ever:
Initially, my thought was that it's extraordinary and irrational especially when it's a collateral. If you're talking about a bond agreement in which I know it as, then the employee has to pay a fine for breaking the agreement. In this case, it's common to involve an attorney.

The reason for the bond is usually due to the company who takes the responsibility in financing the employee's professional training. Other than that, why would a company seek collateral from some individual simply applying for a job? The agreement may require that such a candidate of the agreement would be required to work for, for example, 48 months for the company after receiving the training financed or provided by the company but they still earn salary. If at any point the candidate or employee breaches the agreement, they are usually required to pay a fine or hefty price or even a collateral like you said which I know to be uncommon. But like I said, it always involves a lawyer and it could be from both parties.

Thanks for your input
The bond agreement is not related to the training that will be provided by the company but in relation the post the individual applied for in the company.

1 Like

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by Wealthoptulent(m): 12:42pm On May 02, 2023
O ga gan sha, so person wey jus concluded NYSC go get properties ? Na GEE BOY dem wan employ abi?

We yet to get things right.
Some company wants employees with age not more than 25years with 5 years experience, na from their mothers' womb dem for School and served abi?
Na why skit makers plenty for Instagram
Spanking them CAREERS & kissing it goodbye on white collars job

4 Likes

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by ednut1(m): 12:43pm On May 02, 2023
Nigeria is a crazy place with crazy people . There is a bank that trains graduate trainees for 3 or 4 months. After the training other banks came to offer the staff bigger pay. Is that fair on the bank They were the first to introduce 2m naira bond that year. Don’t know the current amount.

Also in Nigeria, many employees in manufacturing settings steal raw materials like flour, chemicals, fuel, company assets etc. in Nigeria the cure for madness is more madness i dont blame those companies. Until you have run a business before you can understand their plight o.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by sonature1: 12:45pm On May 02, 2023
When I got a job immediately after service, I was asked to provide a guarantor before I was offered the post of a manager at an NNPC filling station.

The condition was that the guarantor must have a landed property in Port Harcourt or Yenagoa or elsewhere in the South South. I provided the guarantor, did the job for about a year and left when I was tired of it.

The truth is, Nigerians (both employees and employers) are terrible people. Therefore, some companies may make insane requirements before giving you an offer if they don't trust you. Understandably, trust is an issue in Nigeria.

However, every job seeker must do their due diligence so you don't get involved in a job scam where scammers disguise to be offering you a job just to dispose you of your landed property or assets.

6 Likes

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by Semaj77(m): 12:45pm On May 02, 2023
Crazy

1 Like

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by mindworx: 12:46pm On May 02, 2023
pheelhip:

Thanks for your input
The bond agreement is not related to the training that will be provided by the company but in relation the post the individual applied for in the company.

So you're saying the company is requesting the potential employee to bring a collateral (say a land document) which the company will collect and sell because the employee resigns? cheesy cheesy cheesy Some employers don dey mara ooo
Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by yinkus6750(m): 12:46pm On May 02, 2023
If you apply as a Cashier or Account personnel who handles huge volume of cash, the company has the right to request for collateral commensurate to the volume you handling in case of theft or loss of funds.
The company will be at risk , if it doesn't have such to fall back on.

Bond also ensures you are committed to work with the organisation for a specific period of time.
That has to do with operational stability of such company, since employees work out of jobs anyhow, even without following due process of resignation.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by ochrato: 12:50pm On May 02, 2023
It's just to keep them safe.
Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by Midex88(m): 12:50pm On May 02, 2023
ednut1:
Nigeria is a crazy place with crazy people . There is a bank that trains graduate trainees for 3 or 4 months. After the training other banks came to offer the staff bigger pay. Is that fair on the bank They were the first to introduce 2m naira bond that year. Don’t know the current amount.

Also in Nigeria, many employees in manufacturing settings steal raw materials like flour, chemicals, fuel, company assets etc. in Nigeria the cure for madness is more madness i dont blame those companies. Until you have run a business before you can understand their plight o.

access bank i guess undecided

2 Likes

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by Cmeo(m): 12:51pm On May 02, 2023
Employers has been shown shege before they possibly request for this

1 Like

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by Olachase(m): 12:55pm On May 02, 2023
Which kind thing con be this my previous company sponsor me to Germany for training, no collateral or binding was required

Well maybe the company they fear you ur eyes fit strong pass C. E. O own 😁😁

The day I hear say some people fit carry company plasma TV put for pocket cold catch me 😂😂

2 Likes

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by blueghost(m): 12:56pm On May 02, 2023
Always seek the services of a lawyer before you go and enter one chance.

2 Likes

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by casualobserver: 12:57pm On May 02, 2023
pheelhip:

Thanks for your input

Walk away!

1 Like

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by Etranshub(m): 12:58pm On May 02, 2023
You wont understand this unless you are been on both sides of the fence.... Many employer of labour don see shege for some kind employee hands.

Have a project and you need precision and detail metal works fabrication? I am your best plug grin angry

2 Likes

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by flexyrule(m): 12:58pm On May 02, 2023
Well..
Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by money121(m): 1:08pm On May 02, 2023
Ok
Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by socialmediaman: 1:08pm On May 02, 2023
Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by jeffsummers(m): 1:10pm On May 02, 2023
pls everyone on nairaland, i am apealling to you all. pls can anyone help,me with 1k, just 1k nothing more than that. i am very very hungry, i havent eaten since saturday last week. At least let me get something to eat today, so i can have energy to go out and look for money or hustle. PLS SAVE A HUNGRY BROTHER
Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by pheelhip(m): 1:23pm On May 02, 2023
casualobserver:

Walk away!
What are your reasons to walking away.
Have you experienced or heard of any ill fated occurrence before?
Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by adioolayi(m): 1:25pm On May 02, 2023
What do we want organisations to do

They employ you...you get trained on the job, have loads of job experience and of course, they are paying your salaries and other entitlements as spelt out in your conditions of service...

But, one day...you have earned enough to ja'pa...you wan ja'pa not because of the organisation where you work, but because of the society...Nigeria State...

Your actions to ja'pa will send organisations back some years, looking for new employee to fill your role is an herculean task..

Na things like this they make organisations make use of bonds (in some cases na just empty threat though, so far your original certificates are not collected grin cheesy grin cheesy)

3 Likes

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by stuffs2002: 1:31pm On May 02, 2023
princely4ever:

It is illegal for a company to request for collateral when employing someone.

No employee is required to pay any fine if he/she on on bond. An employer may only require and employee to pay back cost of bond if he/she wants to leave the company. The bond is not a profit making venture for any company and must be prorated before an employee may be required to pay whatever Ballance is remaining.

cc;: pheelhip

2 Likes

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by stuffs2002: 1:36pm On May 02, 2023
ednut1:

Most of thes companies only used bonds to scare employees from leaving. Most of these bonds don't always hold water as it would be demolished in court but ignorance and fear keeps employees from leaving.

1 Like

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by allen113: 1:42pm On May 02, 2023
Which kind yeye work be that
Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by Blue3k(m): 1:47pm On May 02, 2023
pheelhip:
Good evening Nairalanders

Please what are your thoughts on companies asking for a collateral or Binding agreement before offering an Employment offer to their preferred candidate?

Collateral can be (Landed property, Assets, Specific amount in millions)
Kindly Share your thoughts.
Should one give in or walk away?

It a scam. If they need your collateral then they don't have the capital to either run the business or pay you. It's idiotic of my to pay you the company to simply employ me. I would be demanding an ownership stake or some percentage of the profits. Just walk away if you're asked something like that.

A binding agreement like an a NDA or non-compete clause is pretty normal.

1 Like

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by stuffs2002: 1:51pm On May 02, 2023
blueghost:
Always seek the services of a lawyer before you go and enter one chance.

pheelhip,

Take this advice

1 Like

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by free2ryhme: 1:52pm On May 02, 2023
DanceVille:
Do you need help with your curriculum vitae and cover letter? I'm the best plug (writer) for you.
Have noticed lotta mistakes in many CVs these days and might be the reason why you're not getting job invites. Lemme assist you in writing an ATS OPTIMIZED Curriculum Vitae that will help you in getting your dream job.

Check out for my details below.

How come you never get job if you are got with resume and cover letter 🤔

1 Like

Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by stuffs2002: 1:58pm On May 02, 2023
yinkus6750:
If you apply as a Cashier or Account personnel who handles huge volume of cash, the company has the right to request for collateral commensurate to the volume you handling in case of theft or loss of funds.
The company will be at risk , if it doesn't have such to fall back on.

Bond also ensures you are committed to work with the organisation for a specific period of time.
That has to do with operational stability of such company, since employees work out of jobs anyhow, even without following due process of resignation.

The bolded is not true
Re: Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt by Nobody: 2:00pm On May 02, 2023
For you a company to bring forth binding agreement, they must be ready to pay good. If not, trash it!

Why put me into terms without a mouth watering pay.

It all depends on what you “Personally” feel you worth.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I'm A Fresh Graduate And I Won't Take Any Job Offer Below 250K Per Month / Deloitte Nigeria Job Recruitment (17 Positions) / Dvris Palmarian Resources(dpr)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.