Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,714 members, 7,816,944 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana (3309 Views)

Olu Of Warri, Wife Holiday In Ghana, Meet President Akufo-Addo (Photos) / The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State / Origin Of The Name Bello?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by raskymonojendor: 7:32pm On May 09, 2023
THE YORUBA ORIGINS OF THE GA PEOPLE IN GHANA
These are pictures of the recent visit of of the Ga Mantse, [Taki Teiko Tsuru II], the traditional King of the Gã ethnic nationality of the Accra region in Ghana during his visit to Ile ife, the ancestral home and source of his people to confirm their Yoruba/Ife origins and strengthen traditional ties.

According to the history of the Ga people, they originated from Yorubaland before migrating further west into the region now known as modern day southern Ghana. The Yoruba people, also known as 'Alata' in Southern Ghana also have another traditional stool dating from the 1600s in the Greater Accra Region as the 'Alata Mantse' of Osu. The people of Osu Alata in Southern Ghana today are Yoruba descendants.

- The Ga Adangbe people emigrated out of Yorubaland.
- They are the people of Ga Mashie (Accra), Osu, Labadi Teshie, Tema, Ada and other towns in the greater Accra region.
- The Ga Mantse (King) visited Ile Ife in 2022 with 23 Ga Emissaries to strenghten their Yoruba ties.
- The Ga Mantse visited places like the Moremi Ajasoro Grove, Obatala temple, the house of Oranmiyan, and the Grand Temple of Ifa in Ile Ife.

https://dailyguidenetwork.com/rousing-welcome-for-ga-mantse-in-ile-ife/

https://mobile.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/Ga-Mantse-makes-historic-visit-to-Ile-Ife-in-Nigeria-1479686

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by illicit(m): 7:46pm On May 09, 2023
O ga o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by Exc2000: 7:46pm On May 09, 2023
Intresting....

Akwaba people nko... Akan tribe

Even Ogbomoso has huge population of Ghananians

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by geosegun(m): 8:24pm On May 09, 2023
I've said it many times here that there is something special, but yet to be discovered about the Yoruba race. A.major rediscovery is in the offing.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by geosegun(m): 8:25pm On May 09, 2023
Exc2000:
Intresting....

I've said it many times here that there is something special, but yet to be discovered about the Yoruba race. A.major rediscovery is in the offing.
The Gaa people actually migrated during the peak and waning of the Oyo empire.

7 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by Obiedun(m): 8:42pm On May 09, 2023
Akwaba(Welcome)

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by geosegun(m): 7:00am On May 10, 2023
Obiedun:
Akwaba(Welcome)

Very similar to Ękaabò (Welcome) in Yoruba. So the connection is real

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by Obiedun(m): 7:57am On May 10, 2023
geosegun:

Yes it is

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by OJODEL10(m): 2:08pm On May 10, 2023
Yoruba people of west Africa

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by scholes0(m): 10:28am On May 12, 2023
This is true.
In fact this is what they even teach all the Ghanaian kids in their schools.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by Christistruth02: 11:58am On May 12, 2023
Exc2000:
Intresting....

The Ga and Ewe of Togo Ghana and Benin Republic are of Yoruba Ancestry

They are all called Egun by the Yorubas and include the Egun of Badagry

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by nobaga: 12:53pm On May 12, 2023
Obiedun:
Akwaba(Welcome)

Can't wait for Bini meaning grin
Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by 7lives: 8:20pm On May 13, 2023
geosegun:

The Gaa people actually migrated during the peak and waning of the Oyo empire.

Yoruba no dey forget home.
The ones in west indies and South America, na dem I fear pass.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by superclosestool: 2:09am On May 14, 2023
Are Ga influenced much by the Akan? I feel like they dress like the Akan.

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by geosegun(m): 4:16pm On May 14, 2023
7lives:

Yoruba no dey forget home.
The ones in west indies and South America, na dem I fear pass.

I don't get it. Fear them in what sense?
Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by geosegun(m): 4:17pm On May 14, 2023
superclosestool:
Are Ga influenced much by the Akan? I feel like they dress like the Akan.
They are similar and possibly cousins?

3 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by superclosestool: 12:18am On May 15, 2023
geosegun:

They are similar and possibly cousins?

Maybe, this process of people from different cultures interacting with each other and gradually changing their customs and eventually forming new cultures is really interesting. Unfortunately, there are so few references on the Internet about West Africa that it's hard to get a better understanding of it if you don't know the local language and don't go there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by scholes0(m): 1:55pm On May 15, 2023
Christistruth02:

The Ga and Ewe of Togo Ghana and Benin Republic are Akan Speakers of Yoruba Ancestry

Ga and Ewe people are NOT Akan speakers.
In Ghana, they are separate and on their own thing.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by Christistruth02: 2:33pm On May 15, 2023
cool
Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by opamoses1: 9:51pm On May 15, 2023
Exc2000:
Intresting....

geosegun:

Title of this song by Gyakie is "sor mi mu". Sor mi mu is a Ghanaian Akan language.

It also has same meaning as "so mi mu" in yoruba

Both Yoruba and Akan sentence translance to "hold me" in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpNg9yAkHjg

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by opamoses1: 10:13pm On May 15, 2023
Christistruth02:

The Ga and Ewe of Togo Ghana and Benin Republic are of Yoruba Ancestry

Traces of indigenous Yoruba have also been found all the way Cote d'ivoire. The Oni-Popo (one of odua's offspring that travelled westward settled in Ivory coast.

I watched a video where an ivorien said "mo fe dun inu".

A modern day Yoruba person would translate it to be "I want to make my tummy happy or I want to be happy". The Ivorian said he actually meant that "he was hungry and wanted to make is tummy happy or make himself happy by eating a meal".

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by Christistruth02: 4:25am On May 16, 2023
opamoses1:

Traces of indigenous Yoruba have also been found all the way Cote d'ivoire. The Oni-Popo (one of odua's offspring that travelled westward settled in Ivory coast.

A modern day Yoruba person would translate it to be "I want to make my tummy happy or I want to be happy". The Ivorian said he actually meant that "he was hungry and wanted to make is tummy happy or make himself happy by eating a meal".

https://www.alphatrad.co.uk/news/afrikan-languages#:~:text=5th%20place%3A%20Yoruba%20and%20Oromo,%2C%20Sierra%20Leone%2C%20and%20Liberia.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by DodadaKoKigbe: 5:32pm On Jul 24, 2023
fascinating

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by XAUBulls: 4:06pm On Aug 10, 2023
raskymonojendor:
THE YORUBA ORIGINS OF THE GA PEOPLE IN GHANA
These are pictures of the recent visit of of the Ga Mantse, [Taki Teiko Tsuru II], the traditional King of the Gã ethnic nationality of the Accra region in Ghana during his visit to Ile ife, the ancestral home and source of his people to confirm their Yoruba/Ife origins and strengthen traditional ties.

According to the history of the Ga people, they originated from Yorubaland before migrating further west into the region now known as modern day southern Ghana. The Yoruba people, also known as 'Alata' in Southern Ghana also have another traditional stool dating from the 1600s in the Greater Accra Region as the 'Alata Mantse' of Osu. The people of Osu Alata in Southern Ghana today are Yoruba descendants.

- The Ga Adangbe people emigrated out of Yorubaland.
- They are the people of Ga Mashie (Accra), Osu, Labadi Teshie, Tema, Ada and other towns in the greater Accra region.
- The Ga Mantse (King) visited Ile Ife in 2022 with 23 Ga Emissaries to strenghten their Yoruba ties.
- The Ga Mantse visited places like the Moremi Ajasoro Grove, Obatala temple, the house of Oranmiyan, and the Grand Temple of Ifa in Ile Ife.

https://dailyguidenetwork.com/rousing-welcome-for-ga-mantse-in-ile-ife/

https://mobile.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/Ga-Mantse-makes-historic-visit-to-Ile-Ife-in-Nigeria-1479686
That's an awesome history of the
Ga people of Greater Accra and their ancestral connections with the the rest of Yorubaland.

Cc: Nlfpmod, Mynd44, Seun,
Sukkot, this thread is front page news worthy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by Konquest: 9:50pm On Feb 18
scholes0:

Ga and Ewe people are NOT Akan speakers.
In Ghana, they are separate and on their own thing.
True that.

Funnily I found out than Akan is derived from Kan which means FIRST (i.e., the first group of folks to arrive in modern Ghana). Okan is means ONE in Yoruba language.

AKWABA means "welcome" in Ghana and Cote d'Ivoire and EKAABO means "welcome" in Yoruba as well. The similarity is uncanny but then Yoruba descendants in the Ga region did have trade interactions with the Akan folks (Asante, Fante, Akwuapim, etc) right from centuries back.
Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by Konquest: 9:56pm On Feb 18
scholes0:
This is true.
In fact this is what they even teach all the Ghanaian kids in their schools.
Really? That's interesting.

I was reading about the migration of the Ewe online and it indicated that the Ewe folks of Togo and Ghana came from Oyo in modern Nigeria. That's how I ended up landing on this NL thread via Google search.

So, the Ga-Adangbe folks too of Greater Accra, Labadi, Tema, etc, are related to Yoruba people of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by Konquest: 10:02pm On Feb 18
opamoses1:

Is the video on YouTube? Can you share the link with me? I've been to Cote d'Ivoire by air before and they say AKWABA there in Abidjan because a branch of the Akan people called the Baoules migrated to modern Cote d'Ivoire centuries back from Asanteland in modern Ghana.
Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by Konquest: 10:12pm On Feb 18
opamoses1:

Title of this song by Gyakie is "sor mi mu". Sor mi mu is a Ghanaian Akan language.

It also has same meaning as "so mi mu" in yoruba

Both Yoruba and Akan sentence translance to "hold me" in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpNg9yAkHjg
These are interesting observations.
Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by scholes0(m): 3:03pm On Feb 22
Konquest:

True that.

Funnily I found out than Akan is derived from Kan which means FIRST (i.e., the first group of folks to arrive in modern Ghana). Okan is means ONE in Yoruba language.

AKWABA means "welcome" in Ghana and Cote d'Ivoire and EKAABO means "welcome" in Yoruba as well. The similarity is uncanny but then Yoruba descendants in the Ga region did have trade interactions with the Akan folks (Asante, Fante, Akwuapim, etc) right from centuries back.

Naah, this is wrong. The Akans are not the first group of people in modern Ghana, the Guans are.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by Konquest: 3:43pm On Feb 22
scholes0:

Naah, this is wrong. The Akans are not the first group of people in modern Ghana, the Guans are.
How's it going @Scholes0?

I actually read from a couple of sources on the day I landed on this thread directly from the Google first page that the Akan (which is the collective name for several groups of people such as the Asante, Fante, Akuapem, Nzima, etc) are the first of all the modern-Ghana groups to arrive and that is why the "KAN" in AKAN means FIRST. So, I thought the Kan root is quite similar to OKAN meaning ONE or FIRST in Yoruba language. The Akan and the Yoruba ethnicities belong to the same Kwa language group.

I'll look up the information you gave here regardless and I appreciate your perspective because it's always good to fact-check all information we come across online and offline.

Have a great year ahead!

UPDATE:
Indeed, I've studiously checked a number of sources online and the GUAN people (who are a minority group in Ghana) are considered the first group to settle in modern Ghana just like you said. On the other hand, the root word "Kan" is derived from the Twi-Akan dialect of the Akan which means FIRST.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by scholes0(m): 6:52pm On Feb 22
Konquest:

How's it going @Scholes0?

I actually read from a couple of sources on the day I landed on this thread directly from the Google first page that the Akan (which is the collective name for several groups of people such as the Asante, Fante, Akuapem, Nzima, etc) are the first of all the modern-Ghana groups to arrive and that is why the "KAN" in AKAN means FIRST. So, I thought the Kan root is quite similar to OKAN meaning ONE or FIRST in Yoruba language. The Akan and the Yoruba ethnicities belong to the same Kwa language group.

I'll look up the information you gave here regardless and I appreciate your perspective because it's always good to fact-check all information we come across online and offline.

Have a great year ahead!

UPDATE:
Indeed, I've studiously checked a number of sources online and the GUAN people (who are a minority group in Ghana) are considered the first group to settle in modern Ghana just like you said. On the other hand, the root word "Kan" is derived from the Twi-Akan dialect of the Akan which means FIRST.

Dankwa (Danquah) I think was the first Akan man to espouse and add an actual academic touch to the 'first' or 'foremost' etymology for the word Akan, which previously has just been folk etymology. The Akan are the speakers of the languages based majorly on and around the Tano river, they share certain cultural similarities to varied degrees. They can be majorly subdivided into the Akan proper mostly based in Ghana and the Bia cluster mostly based in Ivory Coast around the Bia river.The Bia only share limited similarities with the Akan proper.

The Gonja people of central and northern Ghana who have ben heavily influenced by Islamic sahelian cultures such as Manding and Hausa are actually Guan. The Guan people still have connections with the Akan (both are still Tano languages). And yes, the number 1 is actually Okun, or Akon or Akan or a variant of it in all these languages.

Ahanta - Okun
Jwira-pepesa - Ko
Larteh (Guan) - Kon
Seehwi - Kun
Anyin (CIV) - Ekun
Gonja - Akon
Asante (Twi) - 1 (Baako), 1st (kan)

Etc Etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Origin Of The GA People In Ghana by Konquest: 7:07pm On Feb 22
scholes0:

Dankwa (Danquah) I think was the first Akan man to espouse and add an actual academic touch to the 'first' or 'foremost' etymology for the word Akan, which previously has just been folk etymology. The Akan are the speakers of the languages based majorly on and around the Tano river, they share certain cultural similarities to varied degrees. They can be majorly subdivided into the Akan proper mostly based in Ghana and the Bia cluster mostly based in Ivory Coast around the Bia river.The Bia only share limited similarities with the Akan proper.

The Gonja people of central and northern Ghana who have ben heavily influenced by Islamic sahelian cultures such as Manding and Hausa are actually Guan. The Guan people still have connections with the Akan (both are still Tano languages). And yes, the number 1 is actually Okun, or Akon or Akan or a variant of it in all these languages.

Ahanta - Okun
Jwira-pepesa - Ko
Larteh (Guan) - Kon
Seehwi - Kun
Anyin (CIV) - Ekun
Gonja - Akon
Asante (Twi) - 1 (Baako), 1st (kan)

Etc Etc.

That's an impressive feedback.

Indeed the Asante Empire conquerred the GUAN (also called Gonja). The name Gonja is actually a Hausa-derived name meaning "Goron ja" or "red kolanut"... Which is one of the commodities that the Guan traders engaged in selling and there was a trade linkage with the Hausaland and Northern Ghana.

Thanks again for shedding more light on the Guan group who I had always known by the more popular name of Gonja.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom State In Pictures / Self Love; A Key To Loving Others. / Oba Akenzua And His Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.