Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,340 members, 7,811,988 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA (1641 Views)

Has An Upwork Client Ever Stopped Your Gig Half Way / I Just Bombed A Technical Interview / I Just Quit ALX Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Dremca(m): 1:53pm On May 12, 2023
I have been struggling with landing jobs on upwork and fortunately for me, I applied to one last night and the client replied back and we did interview and was given a quick test task to do which I did and sent to him, only to plug my laptop to charge so I could hop on the zoom call to finalise with the client, NEPA took light and not quite long, my laptop went off and neither do I have a smartphone I could have used for the call. I just checked back this morning after the so called NEPA brought back light and saw that the client has hired someone else, I really feel pained that after struggling to land a job and this particular one came but lost it because of NEPA. I will never forget this day and I am waiting for who will come and tell me to be a patriotic Nigeria. This country is a mess. Any country that can give 24/7 power supply is far better than Nigeria even if is Sudan. I feel pained!

2 Likes

Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by doggedfighter(f): 1:53pm On May 12, 2023
Sorry about your experience.

Even if you give up on Nigeria don't give up on your ability to get many more jobs.

Nigeria happens to us all on daily basis but

2 Likes

Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by alpharoyalty: 2:08pm On May 12, 2023
Mr man, go and get a Gen for Pete sake.

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by doggedfighter(f): 2:14pm On May 12, 2023
alpharoyalty:
Mr man, go and get a Gen for Pete sake.

With the money he's yet to earn ?

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by sunday478(m): 2:27pm On May 12, 2023
Don't worry use the same strategy you used in getting this one another one will come.

Getting a clients attention is a good sign.

I am not on upwork yet, but I talking from buyer request experience on fiverr.

3 Likes

Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by alpharoyalty: 2:54pm On May 12, 2023
doggedfighter:

With the money he's yet to earn ?

You don't have to make excuse for him.
Do whatever it takes, legit, to make your business successful.

3 Likes

Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Maxxim: 3:08pm On May 12, 2023
rule 1
get the essential tools available.
if you can't afford a big gen or inverter atm get I better pass my neighbor, same with the smartphone too.

Sorry for the loss, better ones are on the way.

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Millz404(m): 4:17pm On May 12, 2023
Bro go to mechanic around if you don't have money to buy new gen, tell them to find you small gen, you will see for small money, put fuel in the gen for times like this, you fire the gen up. Don't put your hope in nepa even for one day especially when you have something serious to do.

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Sheriman(m): 4:55pm On May 12, 2023
Dremca:
I have been struggling with landing jobs on upwork and fortunately for me, I applied to one last night and the client replied back and we did interview and was given a quick test task to do which I did and sent to him, only to plug my laptop to charge so I could hop on the zoom call to finalise with the client, NEPA took light and not quite long, my laptop went off and neither do I have a smartphone I could have used for the call. I just checked back this morning after the so called NEPA brought back light and saw that the client has hired someone else, I really feel pained that after struggling to land a job and this particular one came but lost it because of NEPA. I will never forget this day and I am waiting for who will come and tell me to be a patriotic Nigeria. This country is a mess. Any country that can give 24/7 power supply is far better than Nigeria even if is Sudan. I feel pained!
I always say this country kills dream idea talent in you. You can imagine my he just experience due to poor electricity in Nigeria. Giant of Africa that can't produce steady light for citizen. Rubbish country
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Sheriman(m): 4:59pm On May 12, 2023
Millz404:
Bro go to mechanic around if you don't have money to buy new gen, tell them to find you small gen, you will see for small money, put fuel in the gen for times like this, you fire the gen up. Don't put your hope in nepa even for one day especially when you have something serious to do.
Na waa oooo. Reason why all these European tech companies no want to employee Nigerians. Having a tech meeting with your white boss and suddenly NEPA took off light. Your own don be that
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Sheriman(m): 5:00pm On May 12, 2023
Maxxim:
rule 1
get the essential tools available.
if you can't afford a big gen or inverter atm get I better pass my neighbor, same with the smartphone too.

Sorry for the loss, better ones are on the way.
Na money too E go take buy am now. Nigeria no be country.
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by worried222: 6:38pm On May 12, 2023
Dremca:
What’s your niche?
What services do you render on upwork?
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by qtguru(m): 6:56pm On May 12, 2023
Dremca:

The battery is bad ?

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Dremca(m): 7:24pm On May 12, 2023
Frontend development
worried222:

What’s your niche?
What services do you render on upwork?
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Dremca(m): 7:31pm On May 12, 2023
I have been applying since today and no client has replied. I don't think there is any amount of money I would earn that will convince me to remain in this country. Now I know why many people with full time white collar jobs in big companies still leave Nigeria. Ordinary 24/7 electricity, I won't see and someone will convince me to remain in this country and be patriotic. God forbid bad thing! This country is a big disappointment.

3 Likes

Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Maxxim: 8:00pm On May 12, 2023
Sheriman:

Na money too E go take buy am now. Nigeria no be country.
I know but he could still hustle those through other ways at least to have stable setup before applying to gigs, that popular sayings that "when preparation meets opportunity

2 Likes

Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by worried222: 8:18pm On May 12, 2023
Dremca:
Frontend development
Same here.
What stack?
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Maj196(m): 8:22pm On May 12, 2023
This one weak me
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by keymatt(m): 8:35pm On May 12, 2023
Pls I need tips in this upwork thing. How do I go about it? I seriously need dollars 💵 to invest in something.
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by doggedfighter(f): 8:44pm On May 12, 2023
alpharoyalty:

You don't have to make excuse for him.
Do whatever it takes, legit, to make your business successful.

Tough love grin grin

I understand !
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Dremca(m): 8:49pm On May 12, 2023
React
worried222:

Same here.
What stack?
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by worried222: 8:59pm On May 12, 2023
Dremca:
React
Truly web development is saturated but keep pushing.
I have a full time job as a frontend dev for over 8 months now but I am still looking for side remote gigs.
Keep pushing bro, don’t give in.
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Dremca(m): 9:01pm On May 12, 2023
Lol, what do you need it or is the pay not good
worried222:

Truly web development is saturated but keep pushing.
I have a full time job as a frontend dev for over 8 months now but I am still looking for side remote gigs.
Keep pushing bro, don’t give in.
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by worried222: 9:10pm On May 12, 2023
Dremca:
Lol, what do you need it or is the pay not good
Pay is above 200k so it’s average I think.
I have enough time because I don’t write codes everyday.
I’m also looking to escape from the prison so yeah I need money.
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by pocohantas(f): 9:11pm On May 12, 2023
Keep going. That is just one of the reasons you would lose a remote job.

A lot of clients know Nigeria has power issues. How? Previous experience with Nigerian freelancers or hearsay.

There is also the issue of integrity and (maybe) racism. So it is a good sign that you were shortlisted.

Once you decide to delve into remote work, know you have to be a step ahead. Have backup network and power source for your laptop at least. Once upon a time I wondered what people use laptops for, but if you want to send me into PANIC MODE now, take my mouse. Not even the laptop itself. Lol

Way back I bought a smart laptop powerbank. It cost me 75k or so. I rarely use it these days because we done grow, but I still go with it on trips. So, do what you have to. Remote work is capital intensive to setup, but when it begins to pay, you will know Nigeria is for our enjoyment.

4 Likes

Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Dremca(m): 9:24pm On May 12, 2023
I guess the pay is okay, I am open to any vacancy available
worried222:

Pay is above 200k so it’s average I think.
I have enough time because I don’t write codes everyday.
I’m also looking to escape from the prison so yeah I need money.
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by qtguru(m): 10:20pm On May 12, 2023
pocohantas:
Keep going. That is just one of the reasons you would lose a remote job.

A lot of clients know Nigeria has power issues. How? Previous experience with Nigerian freelancers or hearsay.

There is also the issue of integrity and (maybe) racism. So it is a good sign that you were shortlisted.

Once you decide to delve into remote work, know you have to be a step ahead. Have backup network and power source for your laptop at least. Once upon a time I wondered what people use laptops for, but if you want to send me into PANIC MODE now, take my mouse. Not even the laptop itself. Lol

Way back I bought a smart laptop powerbank. It cost me 75k or so. I rarely use it these days because we done grow, but I still go with it on trips. So, do what you have to. Remote work is capital intensive to setup, but when it begins to pay, you will know Nigeria is for our enjoyment.

Today the same happened, I forgot to switch on the inverter, he was even saying our internet is slow, because Fiberone dey mess up.

OP try working from all those eateries, but your battery itself has issue to go immediately

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by pocohantas(f): 10:30pm On May 12, 2023
qtguru:

Today the same happened, I forgot to switch on the inverter, he was even saying our internet is slow, because Fiberone dey mess up.

OP try working from all those eateries, but your battery itself has issue to go immediately

I haven't had these issues in a while and you know my skillset na to face one employer. Once you are in, they tolerate your petty downtimes.

Or Bet9ja shops. Na make them no arrest am there thinking say na yahoo boy. By the way, do Naija Police zearch you when they spot your laptop? I sometimes think I enjoy female privilege bringing out my laptop everywhere.
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Dremca(m): 11:08pm On May 12, 2023
This happened in the night by 11:00PM
qtguru:

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by stanvesco(m): 12:48am On May 13, 2023
Dremca:

Your destiny is In your hands my brother!

This is how you can avoid such Nonsense next time
1) buy two batteries

2) buy a power bank for laptop. I have a device that can last your laptop for 72 hours
Chat this number +234 806 531 6307
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by qtguru(m): 9:21am On May 13, 2023
Dremca:

I asked a question about your batteries you didn't answer, do you do PHP ?
Re: I Just Lost An Upwork Gig Because Of NEPA by Dremca(m): 10:12am On May 13, 2023
I bought the laptop as used but on a full charge, it will last me for 2hours+ when connected to the internet. The battery was already low before wanting to charge it. I will code Javascript, ReactJS
qtguru:

I asked a question about your batteries you didn't answer, do you do PHP ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Create Sessions In PHP / C# Projects With Source Code / Sql Error Msg 1801, Level 16 During Execution In Ssms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.