Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,105 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? (570 Views)

My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time / Ghana Landlady Gives Female Nigerian Student Quit Notice Over Noise During Sex / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by OBUKOMENA: 6:17pm On May 16, 2023
My rent will be expiring this May ending and my landlord already gave a quit notice for me to pack out immediately it expires. I'm thinking of suing him. Do I have a case?
Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by Ireportlive: 6:19pm On May 16, 2023
Igbo tenant and their wahala

No man's land

No man's house

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by Keep2gether(f): 6:19pm On May 16, 2023
I don't know. I'm not a lawyer.
Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by RentedReality(m): 6:20pm On May 16, 2023
Yes, you have a case...

...a suitcase to pack your bags grin

If you have a tenancy agreement check if there is a notice period. If it is one months notice and above, you can take him up

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by xpressionx(m): 6:23pm On May 16, 2023
He has to give you 6months quit notice if its annual rent

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by xpressionx(m): 6:25pm On May 16, 2023
Ireportlive:

No man's land

No man's house

I heard Buhari just approved your 30k stipend.
Add more energy BAT may retain you as TMC grin

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by riverbird: 6:29pm On May 16, 2023
xpressionx:

No BAT won't have to pay him, just a steady supply of Indian hemp from Escobat will do the job grin

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by TheBillyonaire: 6:30pm On May 16, 2023
OBUKOMENA:
My rent will be expiring this May ending and my landlord already gave a quit notice for me to pack out immediately it expires. I'm thinking of suing him. Do I have a case?

Yes, you have a case. He has disappointed you by not letting you live in his house.
Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by Ireportlive: 6:31pm On May 16, 2023
xpressionx:

Jokes on you my boy... I don spend pass $70 infact VP Osinbajo just left Ibadan airport now less than an hour and we all dey
Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by BaddestQueen(f): 7:05pm On May 16, 2023
Ireportlive:

No man's land

No man's house
mynd44 lalasticlala Seun Dominique nlfpmod Mukina2
Rule 2
tribal slurs

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by Ireportlive: 7:07pm On May 16, 2023
BaddestQueen:
Rule 2
tribal slurs

Ibo troll and non compliance and lack of comprehension
Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by Pierohandsome: 7:12pm On May 16, 2023
According to law, a yearly tenant is entitled to 6 months notice at 3 months of first issuance.

Don't vacate, let her be the one to sue you first.

You can only vacate after exhausting that advantage

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by COLOURCUT: 7:17pm On May 16, 2023
xpressionx:
He has to give you 6months quit notice if its annual rent

After that another 6 months again.

If you are thinking of weighbridge machine for high accuracy measurement, Think BISSYWEIGH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by Depriest2020: 7:24pm On May 16, 2023
You don't have to make case with him. Just ask him to give you time to get a new apartment, you have right to stay 3months free rent, then after 3months you haven't gotten the type of apartment you like, you inform him that you haven't gotten one, you still have right to another 3months free rent (that's 6 months) by this window you are expected to have gotten the kind of apartment you need. If you stay beyond this 6months it means you want trouble.

Don't be like Ade that stayed for 2yrs free rent before leaving. If you try to be like Ade, your landlord might be a juju man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by OBUKOMENA: 5:43pm On May 17, 2023
Lalasticlala, please help push to front page. I need property lawyers in the house to give their learned advice.
Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by BaddestQueen(f): 5:43am On May 18, 2023
Ireportlive:

No man's land

No man's house
Rule 2
tribal slurs..

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by Ireportlive: 8:12am On May 18, 2023
xpressionx:

Ipob miscreants are always dry, unfunny and mostly senseless
Re: My Landlord Gave Me Quit Notice Without Owing. Do I Have A Case If I Sue Him? by Mosetgg: 11:24am On May 18, 2023
OBUKOMENA:
Lalasticlala, please help push to front page. I need property lawyers in the house to give their learned advice.

Hello,

I'm a property lawyer here in Abuja.

According to the law, if you are a yearly tenant you are entitled to 6 months quit notice, and after that six months quit notice you are further entitled to a 7 days owners intention to recover possession.

If you failed to leave the house after that 7 days notice then he MUST sue you to court and serve you court letter summoning you to come and defend yourself if you have any defence.

Then the court will check during hearing if he had properly served you the quit notice as I stated up there or not before giving its
judgement.

Again, if you are wrongly served the six months quite notice before your rent expired, the landlord would wait for A MONTH after your rent must have expired before serving you the 7 days owners intention to recover possession, in law, you have become tenant at will because you are now owning your landlord. After that 7 days notice, he MUST also go to court, serve you court process, and wait for the court to give judgement before taking any action.

He has no right to touch, lock or deny you of the premises until the court give judgment and ordered the court officials and the police to follow him to pack your load out of the house ONLY WHEN YOU FAILED TO LEAVE THE HOUSE AFTER THE TIME THE COURT GAVE ​YOU TO PACK ELAPSES.

However, if there is any prior signed agreement between the two of you as to how you are to be evicted from the house, increase in the rent etc, and the landlord has followed those terms in the agreement, even if it is not in line with the procedures I had stated above, the court will have no choice than to back the landlord's action and give judgement in his favour, that's the power of an agreement.

But if he has deviated from the terms of the agreement, you have a good case.

Note:

The court will still order you to pay the rent for the specific month(s) you used before the case is brought to the court and while the case last in court.

Also immediately before the judgment, the court may ask you to suggest a reasonable date and time you will likely leave the house, if it's acceptable by the court, the court will ordered that you be allowed to stay till that time and you MUST also pay for that period before delivering possession to your landlord which sometimes some landlords may decide to let go of the money, they just want you out of their house.

So check your options well.

That's why it's very important for both parties to engage a lawyer from the onset to be guided properly before entering any agreement or paying for rent.

But this is Nigeria, it's when trouble start that the money they don't want to spend for a lawyer, they then spend double in restoring their dignity and sanity.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Electrical Products / Invest In Mayflower Gardens Estate Discounts Available / Great Offers You Cant Resist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.