Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,429 members, 7,812,270 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury (5774 Views)

Serena Williams Retires At Rogers Cup Finals Due To Injury, Cries Bitterly / Serena Williams Banned From Wearing Catsuit At French Open / The N261 Million Watch Rafael Nadal Wore To Win French Open (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by fergie001: 4:02pm On May 18, 2023
Rafael Nadal will miss the French Open for the first time in 19 years after a hip injury ruled out the record 14-time men's singles champion.

The 36-year-old Spaniard, who has won 22 major men's titles, also said he plans to retire after the 2024 season.

"I didn't make the decision, my body made the decision. To play Roland Garros is impossible," he said.

"Next year will be my last year on tour - that is my idea. If I keep going now I won't be able to make that happen."

Nadal, who turns 37 next month, has not played since sustaining the problem at the Australian Open in January.

Nadal has been practising in recent weeks, but not been fit enough to play a tournament in the run-up to Roland Garros.

The French Open starts in Paris on 28 May and runs until 11 June.

"I was working as much as possible every single day for the past four months and they have been difficult because I've not been able to find a solution to the problem I had in Australia," said the former world number one.

"I'm not in the position to be able to compete to be at the standard to play Roland Garros.

"I'm not a guy who will just be at Roland Garros."

Nadal said he needs to stop playing for the foreseeable future in order to make a full recovery and return healthy to complete a farewell season in 2024.

"I will stop for a while, maybe one month, maybe three months or maybe four months. I do not like to predict the future," he said.

"I will do the right thing for my body and personal happiness. My motivation is to enjoy the season and say goodbye to all the tournaments I have enjoyed in my career.

"If I keep going now I will not be able to make that happen."

Nadal injured his hip during a second-round defeat by American Mackenzie MacDonald in Melbourne and initially expected to be sidelined for six to eight weeks.

An MRI scan two days after the match showed a tear in his left psoas muscle.

Last month, Nadal announced he would not be able to play the Madrid Open because the injury "still hadn't healed" and was planning a different course of treatment.

Then he withdrew from this month's Italian Open - another important clay-court tournament before the French Open - saying he had still not been able to train at a high level.

On Thursday, he announced he will miss Roland Garros for the first time in his career in a news conference at his academy in Mallorca.

Nadal won the French Open title in his first appearance there in 2005, going on to triumph another 13 times in the following 17 years.

No player has won as many singles titles at one major tournament as the Mallorcan left-hander has at Roland Garros.

Known as the 'King of Clay', Nadal has won 112 of his 115 matches at the French Open.

SOURCE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by DevilsEqual(m): 4:41pm On May 18, 2023
A legend in the game
Its just unfortunate that Djokovic is breathing down his neck and wouldnt even allow him enjoy his goat status at all since Novak already surpassed him even in his active years...How much more when he's gone

But then, He'll remain a Tennis Great

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by mayowascholar(m): 4:42pm On May 18, 2023
You dn try

1 Like

Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:44pm On May 18, 2023
All the very best for the future CHAMP 🏆 💪 👏

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by sonature1: 4:44pm On May 18, 2023
You have brought honour to your family and country. Respect, my friend! I wonder why we don't encourage lawn tennis in Nigeria.

9 Likes

Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by clockwisereport: 4:46pm On May 18, 2023
Nadal

Federer

Djokovic

Andy Murray

Na these people get tennis

14 Likes

Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by clockwisereport: 4:46pm On May 18, 2023
sonature1:
You have brought honour to your family and country. Respect, my friend! I wonder why we don't encourage lawn tennis in Nigeria.

Wetin we dey ever encourage in Nigeria?

8 Likes

Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by uglodoh(f): 4:50pm On May 18, 2023
Aptech336:
She had tried
She or He
Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by Venerable612(m): 4:51pm On May 18, 2023
DevilsEqual:
A legend in the game
Its just unfortunate that Djokovic is breathing down his neck and wouldnt even allow him enjoy his goat status at all since Novak already surpassed him even in his active years...How much more when he's gone

Apt.

Djokovic keeps pushing him but I think he needs to let go like Roger. He will always be a Tennis Great.

7 Likes

Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by uglodoh(f): 4:53pm On May 18, 2023
Age is telling on Nadal, he needs to retire. Goodbye to one of the GOATs . Now Djokovic has no tough opponent.

3 Likes

Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by touchalex25: 4:54pm On May 18, 2023
King of Clay

1 Like

Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by Neimar: 5:00pm On May 18, 2023
Omo
Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by ATEAMS: 5:06pm On May 18, 2023
Weldone
Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by Kajaard: 5:19pm On May 18, 2023
clockwisereport:
Nadal

Federer

Djokovic

Andy Murray

Na these people get tennis

Remove Andy Murray from that list

10 Likes

Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by Favours965(f): 5:20pm On May 18, 2023
Congratulations
Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by EtinosaDLaw(m): 5:23pm On May 18, 2023
Okay
Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by Livelystone01: 5:24pm On May 18, 2023
DevilsEqual:
A legend in the game

Djokovic is like a hybrid of Nadal and Federer.

He's good in court, clay and grass. Imagine if he's an American, the hype would've deafened us.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by clockwisereport: 5:29pm On May 18, 2023
Kajaard:

Remove Andy Murray from that list

Murray na my number 4
Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by fergie001: 5:31pm On May 18, 2023
Aptech336:
Super woman

How?
Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by tonicyril: 5:37pm On May 18, 2023
DevilsEqual:
A legend in the game

All HAIL THE LEGENDARY ROGER FEDERER
Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by Staphylococcus: 5:43pm On May 18, 2023
clockwisereport:

Wetin we dey ever encourage for Nigeria?

We encourage fraud and happen to be No 1 in the entire black race, and top 20 in the world
Re: 2024 Will Be My last season: Nadal Withdraws From 2023 French Open due to injury by koolpal(m): 5:44pm On May 18, 2023
Rafael Nadal is good but I love Roger more and Djokovic

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Are Out Of 2013 Afro-Basketball Women Championship (74:77) / NPFL( Double Header)- Dolphins Vs Nasarawa 2pm & Sharks Vs W. Wolves 4pm( Today) / Pictures From Theo Walcott’s Beautiful Wedding With Melanie Slade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.