Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,607 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (150) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (473857 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) ... (545) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ericadianas(f): 1:46pm On Aug 12, 2023
Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for the support here.

I am coming in as a Dependent next month and I just need a little clarity so I can properly prepare.

I have 2 years of product management experience in Nigeria and also another 2 years of technical recruitment, however, but I am very open to other types of jobs to start with. For example, health care assistant, customer service, retail sales, tutoring, etc till I can get a proper tech job.

I have been researching and seeing people talk about getting a Police Clearance Certificate, PCC, in Nigeria and also a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check in the UK. I want to stay prepared for anything.

So my questions are:

1. Do I really need to do a PCC in Nigeria? like what relevance does a PCC have?
2. What's the exact difference between PCC and DBS? Like when is each one applicable?

Thanks a lot for your responses.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 2:03pm On Aug 12, 2023
Globalshaper:
Good day, Nairalanders

I read a few days ago about someone saying he had to create a new Facebook profile the moment he got to the UK. And that action was instrumental to how he got a job offer.

Please I have a few follow-up questions:

1. Apart from creating a new profile, what else can I do to position myself to get jobs that align with my career vision?

2. Please can someone confirm how this is applicable to LinkedIn? Do I need to create a new LinkedIn profile too?

I will be coming as a student in September and want to ensure I start on the right foot.

Thank you very much.

Hmm

What kind of job requires facebook?

Maybe Linkedin, never heard of employers going to look you up on FB

My own FB is practically empty grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AntiMCU: 2:07pm On Aug 12, 2023
Ladies and gentlemen, please will appreciate ideas on how to invest about 10k pounds currently not in use, something where it can add compound interest, safe, secure, easy to withdraw and grows with time.

🀲

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 2:41pm On Aug 12, 2023
AntiMCU:
Ladies and gentlemen, please will appreciate ideas on how to invest about 10k pounds currently not in use, something where it can add compound interest, safe, secure, easy to withdraw and grows with time.

🀲

Cash LISA

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 3:03pm On Aug 12, 2023
OKOCHA1:
Dear Elders in the house.

The attachment below refers; please can this be appealed and how can one go about this. Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Note: the person was using an account for business and personal purposes. That’s what led to the misunderstanding of funds going through the account.
How do you explain the huge discrepancies between annual earnings and the account balance? That's going to be the biggest hurdle for you IMHO. If you didn't do that at the initial application, or declare an additional source of income, it'll be difficult to convince them the account is legitimate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 12, 2023
Hi all, there was a post someone made in response to a question where someone was asking about property investing in Nigeria. The analysis broke down the effect Naira depreciation would have on the real ROI. I want to share that post with someone but can’t find it now despite lots of searching.

Biko if you have it bookmarked or something please tag me to it. πŸ™πŸΏ
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by tshoboy(m): 3:40pm On Aug 12, 2023
Saw this on LinkedIn. The person trying to chose between Company A or B could have a C in the mix 😊

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:41pm On Aug 12, 2023
ericadianas:
Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for the support here.

I am coming in as a Dependent next month and I just need a little clarity so I can properly prepare.

I have 2 years of product management experience in Nigeria and also another 2 years of technical recruitment, however, but I am very open to other types of jobs to start with. For example, health care assistant, customer service, retail sales, tutoring, etc till I can get a proper tech job.

I have been researching and seeing people talk about getting a Police Clearance Certificate, PCC, in Nigeria and also a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check in the UK. I want to stay prepared for anything.

So my questions are:

1. Do I really need to do a PCC in Nigeria? like what relevance does a PCC have?
2. What's the exact difference between PCC and DBS? Like when is each one applicable?

Thanks a lot for your responses.

DBS - Disclosure barring service, is normally conducted by employers, to check history of jobs applicants (remember to put it on auto renewal service, once you receive it).......

PCC - Because you're a new immigrant, some employers would require your police history check, from your destination......... Just get one done, before you migrate.......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:48pm On Aug 12, 2023
AntiMCU:

🀲

Before you think of investment, you have to consider the length of time, you want to tie your capital down ........

If you're not prepared to see your capital drop, just leave it accounts like the monzo instant saver's account....... Your balance would never reduce, but you would simply be receiving the current 5% APR ........

Once you invest on the capital market, expect fluctuations and wild swings....... If you withdraw from a negative position, your capital otilo.........πŸ˜‚

Or simply leave funds under your pillow.......πŸ€£πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ericadianas(f): 3:49pm On Aug 12, 2023
Thanks a lot.

Lexusgs430:

DBS - Disclosure barring service, is normally conducted by employers, to check history of jobs applicants (remember to put it on auto renewal service, once you receive it).......

PCC - Because you're a new immigrant, some employers would require your police history check, from your destination......... Just get one done, before you migrate.......

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 3:54pm On Aug 12, 2023
Rejection reasons are clear. Next time the applicant should not use personal bank account for business purposes. If it is not avoidable, then when submitting bank statement for Visa, include a separate note explaining convincingly the sources of the additional funds and why it is so, for what purpose and try to back it up.

Always best to resist the urge to over shalaye (too much explanation) when it comes to visa applications. Try to get separate accounts for personal and business purposes. It is more professional.

OKOCHA1:
Dear Elders in the house.

The attachment below refers; please can this be appealed and how can one go about this. Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Note: the person was using an account for business and personal purposes. That’s what led to the misunderstanding of funds going through the account.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Knowlegeseeking: 4:01pm On Aug 12, 2023
hehehe, thank you. Jumping on it.

tshoboy:
Saw this on LinkedIn. The person trying to chose between Company A or B could have a C in the mix 😊
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Controlv: 4:31pm On Aug 12, 2023
LagosismyHome:

Yes the Refunds have gone out as I know two people who got for last year tax rate. Make sure your address is up to date with hmrc because it only through post they contact you for Refunds

Also if you need any clarification, call them

I received mine as a transfer into my bank account. I opted for paperless communication last year via the HMRC app. I got the notification email, signed in to the HMRC app and provided my bank account details.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 4:57pm On Aug 12, 2023
Solumtoya:

Yup, got mine in June. Sweet unexpected 600 quids.

I want to ask something, before u got the refund, could you see it on ur hmrc profile that a refund awaits you?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by davide470(m): 5:49pm On Aug 12, 2023
eniola1010:

I want to ask something, before u got the refund, could you see it on ur hmrc profile that a refund awaits you?
Yes, you will. It will be updated as 'You paid too much Income Tax' and the payment to be refunded.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 6:33pm On Aug 12, 2023
davide470:
Yes, you will. It will be updated as 'You paid too much Income Tax' and the payment to be refunded.

See below. The money went a really long way wink

Ehn ehn my own is suppose to show this way too instead its showing 0. It is even showing that i did not pay tax at all
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by davide470(m): 6:59pm On Aug 12, 2023
eniola1010:

Ehn ehn my own is suppose to show this way too instead its showing 0. It is even showing that i did not pay tax at all
You need to call HMRC then
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 7:21pm On Aug 12, 2023
eniola1010:

Never checked. I gave you thd number to call, have you called them??
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by TouchOfSpice(m): 8:11pm On Aug 12, 2023
Ohhh ok. Surprisingly I am yet to experience that kind of experience you described with OCTOPUS.

To the best of my knowledge they have a good tariff system (if not the cheapest I know)

. My electricity and Gas combined has never gone pass 80 pounds. And maximum of 40 pounds during the govt subsidy period.

6 of my friends that migrated from other popular providers have been able to cut their monthly cost by over 50%.

You may try to browse through their tarrif and migrate to the cheapest tarrif plan.

https://octopus.energy/tariffs/

I wish you well in all you do.

Cheers!!

Alexia20:

I dont get it ,why the mad rush for octopus ? Octopus that can increase your DD without prior notice and their tariff is not even cheap . octopus can use 2 weeks to respone to your mail and you cant reach them even on phone .I use octopus but I cant stand the shock of their daily increase of my tarrif based on one their experimental forecast which doesnt even make any sense to me and i am already shopping for a better energy deal elsewhere .Goodbye to bad riddance .

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 9:41pm On Aug 12, 2023
TouchOfSpice:

Ohhh ok. Surprisingly I am yet to experience that kind of experience you described with OCTOPUS.

To the best of my knowledge they have a good tariff system (if not the cheapest I know)

. My electricity and Gas combined has never gone pass 80 pounds. And maximum of 40 pounds during the govt subsidy period.

6 of my friends that migrated from other popular providers have been able to cut their monthly cost by over 50%.

You may try to browse through their tarrif and migrate to the cheapest tarrif plan.

https://octopus.energy/tariffs/

I wish you well in all you do.

Cheers!!

Are you on fixed or flexible deal?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by TouchOfSpice(m): 9:51pm On Aug 12, 2023
justwise:

Are you on fixed or flexible deal?

Flexible Tarrif .

I'm attaching a snapshot of my weekly average consumption maybe it could help.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by tinutunde(f): 10:06pm On Aug 12, 2023
Please I need a therapist,mental health issue is driving me crazy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 10:12pm On Aug 12, 2023
TouchOfSpice:

Flexible Tarrif .

Yeah flexible is better compared to fixed but during winter fixed is good

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ticha: 10:49pm On Aug 12, 2023
tinutunde:
Please I need a therapist,mental health issue is driving me crazy

Go to your GP and ask for a referral - if waiting lists are long, opt for private and pay out of pocket and you'll get seen earlier.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 10:50pm On Aug 12, 2023
TouchOfSpice:

Flexible Tarrif .

I have flexible tarrif with them but my bill remains the same for months now.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:44pm On Aug 12, 2023
Ticha:

Go to your GP and ask for a referral - if waiting lists are long, opt for private and pay out of pocket and you'll get seen earlier.

Or admit yourself to A&E........ Once you are diagnosed with a mental health challenge, you would be very quickly referred..........πŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Focus99: 12:51am On Aug 13, 2023
Now that students (MA) are not allowed to switch visa till they graduate can dependent switch while the MA join as their dependent upon graduation?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 12:52am On Aug 13, 2023
So, na this pounds una Dey enjoy for this uk? I just received my first full pay. Omo 😁😁😁

I don call agent make them go find house for Lekki for me. I wan full house tomorrow 😁

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) ... (545) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Uk2020 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.