Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,433 members, 7,830,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (155) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (488089 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (555) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by igbsam(m): 7:03pm On Aug 15, 2023
Lexusgs430:

If you can't DIY..... You would simply be dashing people money, to do tasks you can ordinarily execute........😔😉

I totally agree with this statement. I called someone to come hang my 65" tv. The guy dey charge me £60.....60 kini, na so i enter Facebook market, find £10 correct cordless drill, enter wilko bought the kits and tv hanger. I tell madam to prepare pounded yam in the morning for strength. By afternoon we're already charged up. Na so i begin DIY work. Brethren, me and madam lift the tv up after i don connect all the hangers and all. I do my thing myself and i was very pleased and proud. Next stop wey i dey plan na to install wallpapers myself and do some paintings. This Uk will teach you skills.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Greathand01: 7:34pm On Aug 15, 2023
Please I need serious help on my passport renewal, I have done capturing since June in London and the collection date on my enrollment slip has passed and I haven't gotten it, please how do I sort this out as its having a serious implication on my visa application. With tears ..please I need help.
Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 7:49pm On Aug 15, 2023
igbsam:

I totally agree with this statement. I called someone to come hang my 65" tv. The guy dey charge me £60.....60 kini, na so i enter Facebook market, find £10 correct cordless drill, enter wilko bought the kits and tv hanger. I tell madam to prepare pounded yam in the morning for strength. By afternoon we're already charged up. Na so i begin DIY work. Brethren, me and madam lift the tv up after i don connect all the hangers and all. I do my thing myself and i was very pleased and proud. Next stop wey i dey plan na to install wallpapers myself and do some paintings. This Uk will teach you skills.

Painting and wall papers are my next step soon grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 10:10pm On Aug 15, 2023
Lol, you don’t look at the right place. Search for choicce teachers, Opogo and GSL. Package your CV and apply for teaching assistant and Cover supervisor. September is here already, use that one to dy hold body. Ire oo
CannyDoll:
Hello Everyone, abeg I am looking for a job, it's been almost 2 months since I started looking and nothing is forthcoming, abeg I need to pay rent. Pls if you know any agencies recruiting hook a girl up abeg, I am a student living in Manchester 🙏🙏🙏

Thanks and God bless.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Preshyi: 11:36pm On Aug 15, 2023
https://possap.gov.ng

Fill the form
Make payment (30k)
A mail will be sent with the biometrics form
Fill and thumbprint
Scan Back
Request approved
Certificate available for download on the portal

No give anybody shishi o, this one follow for DIY
Hclinton:
Please how do one apply for Nigeria Police character check from UK. Thanks

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 11:38pm On Aug 15, 2023
igbsam:

Uk will teach you skills my brother. Na so I turn carpenter o, all my furniture naa flatpack. I had to get a drill too from wilko and have been DIYing ever since. Like you am actually please and proud.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 11:55pm On Aug 15, 2023
bigtt76:
Yes I have. All you need to do is fill out the form online and you should get an email stating what's in the image attached. Check your SPAM folder perhaps it went in there.

Got absolutely no reply of such
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LORETA: 12:11am On Aug 16, 2023
Gurus in the house, Good evening ,
please I need the steps for this uk license, because am confuse where to start.
I am 3 months now in uk, hoping to buy a car in next month coming
What is the first thing to do in my path to get my full liscence.
Please break the steps down, so I can follow .
Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adekzy: 1:08am On Aug 16, 2023
Hello folks, 8++1)9`kw
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OKOCHA1(m): 1:18am On Aug 16, 2023
Good evening house.. trust your day has been great.

Please if you work or know anyone that works in a manufacturing company here in sheffield or anywhere in Uk.. kindly help refer to me. 🙏🙏

I am carrying out a research on the use of IoT in manufacturing industries and would want to have an interview/survey.

*Plant Engineers
*Plant managers
*Quality control inspectors
*Maintenance Technicians..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adekzy: 1:18am On Aug 16, 2023
Hello folks, 3rd month in the Uk, recently got a job (to be starting soon), however, my major income is still in Naira from my Naija business, and the exchange rate is worrisome, should I still keep the naira savings in Nigeria 🇳🇬 or I should start converting to GBP irrespective of the rate.

Need experienced advice please.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 1:56am On Aug 16, 2023
Re-try filling the application and see what happens. I hope it was this link you used https://motoring.dvla.gov.uk/service/DvoConsumer.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=COA&_nfls=false

lavida001:

Got absolutely no reply of such

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 1:58am On Aug 16, 2023
It depends on your expenses in the UK. If your new salary can cover it, then by all means preserve what you have in Nigeria by investing in mutual funds to earn some interest higher than normal savings account. But if you feel the naira savings would be at serious risk of depreciation, then try to move them over.

adekzy:
Hello folks, 3rd month in the Uk, recently got a job (to be starting soon), however, my major income is still in Naira from my Naija business, and the exchange rate is worrisome, should I still keep the naira savings in Nigeria 🇳🇬 or I should start converting to GBP irrespective of the rate.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:23am On Aug 16, 2023
Preshyi:
https://possap.gov.ng

Fill the form
Make payment (30k)
A mail will be sent with the biometrics form
Fill and thumbprint
Scan Back
Request approved
Certificate available for download on the portal

No give anybody shishi o, this one follow for DIY

Chief

What's the validity period of the certificate?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:24am On Aug 16, 2023
bigtt76:
It depends on your expenses in the UK. If your new salary can cover it, then by all means preserve what you have in Nigeria by investing in mutual funds to earn some interest higher than normal savings account. But if you feel the naira savings would be at serious risk of depreciation, then try to move them over.

Trust Naira at your own peril

grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:26am On Aug 16, 2023
adekzy:

Thank you.

I asked this question on the money market thread and recommendation is to convert

There are no indications that the exchange rate will improve as we have not done even the basics and probably won't do it

Best would be to convert a sizeable % and observe over time

wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Happyfellow147: 9:07am On Aug 16, 2023
Hello everyone,

I got a letter from the council for council tax and I’m wondering if people pay as high as £188 each month as council tax. I was living in a serviced apartment with bills included so this is my first contact with bills.
Also as a student, I learnt I should either be exempted or pay a reduced rate.
My husband is working fully though.
What next steps can I take?

My second concern is the letter that was shared some days back about overworking.
I registered with two agencies and because shifts are not that stable, I can get one shift from each agency per week. I’m aggregate, it’s two shifts per week but both are 12 hours shift.
I have been concerned that this does not affect my PSWP application.
Can anyone share their thoughts

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 9:18am On Aug 16, 2023
For the council tax. You’re not supposed to pay a dime. Email this message to your council and they will grant you full exemption:

On this, I helped draft the email below and so far, I have had 100% success rate from people I shared with. Let the student send this to the council ccing the partner.

Good evening,
My name is xx, a full-time international student at xx University and my partner's name is xx.
I reside at xx. I had initially requested a council tax exemption as a full-time student but was told my partner is a liable party for council tax because he is not a full-time student. We received the attached bill to this effect for the period xx 2022 - xx 2023 wherein it was split into xx equal installments.

However, Article 3 of the council tax (Exempt Dwellings) Order, SI 1992/558 provides that 'A dwelling is exempt from council tax if it falls within any of the following Class N: a dwelling which is either:
(a) occupied by one or more residents all of whom are relevant persons;
(b) occupied only by one or more relevant persons as term time accommodation.

A relevant person means:
(i) a student;
(ii) a student's spouse or dependant being in each case a person who is not a British citizen and who is prevented, by the terms of his leave to enter or remain in the UK, from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits or (iii) a person to whom Class C (school or college leavers) of regulation 3(1) of the council tax (Additional Provision for Discount Disregards) Regulation 1992 applies.

From the foregoing, please note that I belong to category a(i) I am a student and my partner belongs to category a(ii) he is the spouse of a student. We are both non-British citizens and his visa prevents him from claiming benefits. Subsequently, we qualify for the 100% council tax exemption.

Furthermore, please see below links citing cases whereby 100% exemptions were granted to student dependants by the Court:
https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff72860d03e7f57ea8dcf/amp
https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/local-government/65852.article

We look forward to your kind response..
Copied

On the issue of working more than 20hrs you better stop it now before you land yourself in trouble. UKBA no dey smile at this moment. Ire oo

Happyfellow147:
Hello everyone,

I got a letter from the council for council tax and I’m wondering if people pay as high as £188 each month as council tax. I was living in a serviced apartment with bills included so this is my first contact with bills.
Also as a student, I learnt I should either be exempted or pay a reduced rate.
My husband is working fully though.
What next steps can I take?

My second concern is the letter that was shared some days back about overworking.
I registered with two agencies and because shifts are not that stable, I can get one shift from each agency per week. I’m aggregate, it’s two shifts per week but both are 12 hours shift.
I have been concerned that this does not affect my PSWP application.
Can anyone share their thoughts

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Happyfellow147: 9:56am On Aug 16, 2023
Thank you so much for your kind response
The scene I painted was long ago and happened twice.
I’m just an over thinker sha
hayesconcept:
For the council tax. You’re not supposed to pay a dime. Email this message to your council and they will grant you full exemption:

On this, I helped draft the email below and so far, I have had 100% success rate from people I shared with. Let the student send this to the council ccing the partner.

Good evening,
My name is xx, a full-time international student at xx University and my partner's name is xx.
I reside at xx. I had initially requested a council tax exemption as a full-time student but was told my partner is a liable party for council tax because he is not a full-time student. We received the attached bill to this effect for the period xx 2022 - xx 2023 wherein it was split into xx equal installments.

However, Article 3 of the council tax (Exempt Dwellings) Order, SI 1992/558 provides that 'A dwelling is exempt from council tax if it falls within any of the following Class N: a dwelling which is either:
(a) occupied by one or more residents all of whom are relevant persons;
(b) occupied only by one or more relevant persons as term time accommodation.

A relevant person means:
(i) a student;
(ii) a student's spouse or dependant being in each case a person who is not a British citizen and who is prevented, by the terms of his leave to enter or remain in the UK, from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits or (iii) a person to whom Class C (school or college leavers) of regulation 3(1) of the council tax (Additional Provision for Discount Disregards) Regulation 1992 applies.

From the foregoing, please note that I belong to category a(i) I am a student and my partner belongs to category a(ii) he is the spouse of a student. We are both non-British citizens and his visa prevents him from claiming benefits. Subsequently, we qualify for the 100% council tax exemption.

Furthermore, please see below links citing cases whereby 100% exemptions were granted to student dependants by the Court:
https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff72860d03e7f57ea8dcf/amp
https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/local-government/65852.article

We look forward to your kind response..
Copied

On the issue of working more than 20hrs you better stop it now before you land yourself in trouble. UKBA no dey smile at this moment. Ire oo

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adekzy: 10:39am On Aug 16, 2023
bigtt76:

I deeply appreciate your response. thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adekzy: 10:40am On Aug 16, 2023
thank you. appreciate the response.

hustla:

I asked this question on the money market thread and recommendation is to convert

There are no indications that the exchange rate will improve as we have not done even the basics and probably won't do it

Best would be to convert a sizeable % and observe over time

wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CannyDoll: 10:52am On Aug 16, 2023
hayesconcept:
Lol, you don’t look at the right place. Search for choicce teachers, Opogo and GSL. Package your CV and apply for teaching assistant and Cover supervisor. September is here already, use that one to dy hold body. Ire oo

Thank you so much, God bless you 🙏
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 11:16am On Aug 16, 2023
adekzy:

Thank you.

My advise would be to convert and if you want to keep your savings back in Nigeria or bring to the Uk fine, Just make sure you convert. What ever gains you make on naira investment would be wiped out with forex conversion. So time to change your funds was yesterday, just keep what ever recurring expense/overhead you have in naira and change the rest.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamReinvented: 11:19am On Aug 16, 2023
Viruses:
Has anyone here used egypt air before?

I'm considering egypt air, Ethiopian Airways or Air Maroc to Nigeria.

Any reviews for any of them?

Whatever you do, please stay away from Ethiopian airlines, unless you want your money to go cheesy.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamReinvented: 11:25am On Aug 16, 2023
Greathand01:
Please I need serious help on my passport renewal, I have done capturing since June in London and the collection date on my enrollment slip has passed and I haven't gotten it, please how do I sort this out as its having a serious implication on my visa application. With tears ..please I need help.
Thank you.

Join us on the queue. I did my capturing in May. I’m still waiting grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 11:26am On Aug 16, 2023
Solumtoya:

Never checked. I gave you thd number to call, have you called them??

Yes o. Apparently there were some refund made to me when i checked my account i saw them
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Kunsoft(m): 11:37am On Aug 16, 2023
Hello People,
How can one access Premier league for free in this Uk especially on phone?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:38am On Aug 16, 2023
Kunsoft:
Hello People,
How can one access Premier league for free in this Uk especially on phone?

Twitter / Telegram

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 11:45am On Aug 16, 2023
Hmmmm ....omo e no easy. I de this table sef cheesy

hustla:

Trust Naira at your own peril

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:47am On Aug 16, 2023
bigtt76:
Hmmmm ....omo e no easy. I de this table sef cheesy

Comot body if your body no carry am grin

Current speculations about FG wanting to 'defend' the naira so it's going down a bit

Trust it to go back up again with renewed force and shege

cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 12:05pm On Aug 16, 2023
Yes O! Not worried a bit cos it's in a money market fund cooling off for now. At least small interest wey de enter helps buffer on the inflation and devaluation 😂

hustla:

Comot body if your body no carry am grin

Current speculations about FG wanting to 'defend' the naira so it's going down a bit

Trust it to go back up again with renewed force and shege

cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 12:06pm On Aug 16, 2023
bigtt76:
Yes O! Not worried a bit cos it's in a money market fund cooling off for now. At least small interest wey de enter helps buffer on the inflation and devaluation 😂

Is the MMF in naira?

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (555) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: ashaju33, OfferAccepted, HenriFayol(m), zealog, opeoyek and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.