Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,923 members, 7,817,704 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (341) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (467939 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) ... (541) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by obynocute(m): 11:55pm On Dec 04, 2023
What about people with skilled work visa?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 12:04am On Dec 05, 2023
hustla:

Its the devil's work sir

grin

Guy lets plan japa inside Japa thing together biko nu
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 12:33am On Dec 05, 2023
lavida001:

You are taking British people by their words ?

grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:44am On Dec 05, 2023
Raalsalghul:

How exactly?

grin

They are simply saying, we don't want family people........ šŸ˜‚

Plenty singles don dey UK already, pick from home grown talents......... šŸ˜­šŸ˜œ

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 5:48am On Dec 05, 2023
abuhusna1:

Use uphold.com to sell and send your money to your bank account. I've been doing that no issue but not more than 2k at a time and less than 10k per month. Start moving them slowly weekly now till the time you will need it so you won't have need to move bulk that can cause yawa

I donā€™t know if it was you or someone else that talked about this people before, but my concern is taxing. So I am against the idea of taxing crypto returns considering the risk level of trading already. I am always careful with any payment that can be linked to crypto source.

I believe HMRC would expect you to pay tax for that money as that money can be classified as ā€œreturn on investmentā€. And I believe you are to pay tax on investments/returns. The crazy thing about tax is, you can be ignored for 5years and one day you get a letter that you owe some crazy amount of money. Thatā€™s just my fear.

This is a perfect process. But I donā€™t think the company will think twice to respond to request from tax agents for uk based customers.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 6:22am On Dec 05, 2023
Chreze:

I donā€™t know if it was you or someone else that talked about this people before, but my concern is taxing. So I am against the idea of taxing crypto returns considering the risk level of trading already. I am always careful with any payment that can be linked to crypto source.

I believe HMRC would expect you to pay tax for that money as that money can be classified as ā€œreturn on investmentā€. And I believe you are to pay tax on investments/returns. The crazy thing about tax is, you can be ignored for 5years and one day you get a letter that you owe some crazy amount of money. Thatā€™s just my fear.

This is a perfect process. But I donā€™t think the company will think twice to respond to request from tax agents for uk based customers.

You can do it the way you wanted as well if you don't feel comfortable with uphold. Lemonade is good too just trying to reduce charges for you reas9n I suggested uphold. I am a crypto investor myself and my money had been in decentralised wallet not ok exchange cos I am very heavy holder. I just cash out whatever I need to uk account. Nothing will ever make me pay tax on my crypto that no government knows how much emotional torture I go through when my portfolio goes down 60%.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by triplo3: 6:36am On Dec 05, 2023
These new immigration laws make no sense. If they wanted to control it reasonably, they should have fixed net migration caps e.g 250k or whatever their target is. All these forecast to reduce it by 20% by 2024/5 is rubbish. Nobody knows how people will react. Iā€™m going to predict same reaction they got in 2011 onwards. A lot of people will avoid UK and then theyā€™ll make changes again to try and attract students and workers. Merry-go round! I also noticed they were scared to touch PSW (for now), that would have been the final nail to drop overseas intake to zero. Confused bunch of politicians/policy makers.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ezegees(m): 6:48am On Dec 05, 2023
Hello house. Please can someone explain this scenario? Letā€™s say Iā€™m on a dependent visa and my wife is studying nursing . Sheā€™s go finish the program in 2025. We are here with 1 child. Will this new policy affect us when applying for cos by then?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 7:26am On Dec 05, 2023
Zahra29:
Labour does not plan to object to any of the new rules, so very likely to go through

(I did say previously that Labour would adopt a similar hard-line on immigration to try to change their reputation)

Labour will water down this rule when they get into power, this new rule will bite the British economy as time goes on.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:35am On Dec 05, 2023
Ezegees:
Hello house. Please can someone explain this scenario? Letā€™s say Iā€™m on a dependent visa and my wife is studying nursing . Sheā€™s go finish the program in 2025. We are here with 1 child. Will this new policy affect us when applying for cos by then?

No, nurses and their dependants are unaffected
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:38am On Dec 05, 2023
justwise:

Labour will water down this rule when they get into power, this new rule will bite the British economy as time goes on.

I doubt it, at least not anytime soon.

Starmer would seek closer ties to the EU first

Also, Starmer would tread very carefully or else Labour risks once again carrying all the blame for high migration figures, and getting locked out of power for another 10 years.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:01am On Dec 05, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Plenty singles don dey UK already, pick from home grown talents......... šŸ˜­šŸ˜œ

Abi let the singles breathe

Aunty Suella thank you o
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:04am On Dec 05, 2023
triplo3:
These new immigration laws make no sense. If they wanted to control it reasonably, they should have fixed net migration caps e.g 250k or whatever their target is. All these forecast to reduce it by 20% by 2024/5 is rubbish. Nobody knows how people will react. Iā€™m going to predict same reaction they got in 2011 onwards. A lot of people will avoid UK and then theyā€™ll make changes again to try and attract students and workers. Merry-go round! I also noticed they were scared to touch PSW (for now), that would have been the final nail to drop overseas intake to zero. Confused bunch of politicians/policy makers.

Psw is already useless cos from January students dependents apart from PhD and research courses are no longer coming in. How many can afford PhD or two years research courses so touching psw is not relevant anymore. Even for students how many singles can cope with living expenses and sch fees

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 8:30am On Dec 05, 2023
Zahra29:

I doubt it, at least not anytime soon.

Starmer would seek closer ties to the EU first

Also, Starmer would tread very carefully or else Labour risks once again carrying all the blame for high migration figures, and getting locked out of power for another 10 years.

Quick question Zahra.

Why not just cancel student visa for international students and scrap the psw?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 8:31am On Dec 05, 2023
This thread is not active enough for me given that announcement, I came here expecting to see 10 pages. šŸŒš

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 8:31am On Dec 05, 2023
Goke7:

Psw is already useless cos from January students dependents apart from PhD and research courses are no longer coming in. How many can afford PhD or two years research courses so touching psw is not relevant anymore. Even for students how many singles can cope with living expenses and sch fees

Yeah you are right.

Well, hopefully they see the decrease in numbers to appease their populace.

My only gripe is that they will come out to scream wolf later.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 8:32am On Dec 05, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
This thread is not active enough for me given that announcement, I came here expecting to see 10 pages. šŸŒš

Were you expecting Vawulence?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 8:42am On Dec 05, 2023
They still want to maintain the international reputation of the educational sector so they won't scrap student visa or psw but rather reform it. All those 7 months courses that many piggy-back on for psw would be scrapped. PSW may now be reserved for postgraduate research students and limited to a year instead of two.

Raalsalghul:

Quick question Zahra.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goddys(m): 8:58am On Dec 05, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 9:10am On Dec 05, 2023
bigtt76:
They still want to maintain the international reputation of the educational sector so they won't scrap student visa or psw but rather reform it. All those 7 months courses that many piggy-back on for psw would be scrapped. PSW may now be reserved for postgraduate research students and limited to a year instead of two.

Yeah.

The above is very possible.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lastkingsman: 9:22am On Dec 05, 2023
Lexusgs430:

How does marrying from UK circumvent this?

You still need that sponsorship or am I missing sth?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 9:25am On Dec 05, 2023
Goddys:

Spouse of a person hoping to get a care visa at implementation of the new policy can simply apply for a spouse visa as long as the combine joint income of the spouse or partner is 38,700 and above.

This is a way to get around the new policy if it affects spouse already in UK.

Spousal visas are for British citizens. Oversea workers don't qualify until they attain settled status(ILR).

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jhorjhor: 9:26am On Dec 05, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
I'm telling you!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:40am On Dec 05, 2023
lavida001:

Guy lets plan japa inside Japa thing together biko nu

Send Ā£

I don talk my own, all UK does is to take, tax and take and take.

Worst japa package out of all the developed countries and you still need to endure the constant policy changes and complain from citizens

The new policy looks like it's herding people towards Healthcare which makes 0 sense for a Country that wants to contest with the likes of US
Too many skilled people will have to go the care route.. But again, its their country

grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:43am On Dec 05, 2023
bigtt76:

This will happen in 2024

I said it at the start of this year. Matter of time
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iiiyyyk(m): 9:45am On Dec 05, 2023
Goddys:

Only British citizens or those on ILR can apply for spouse/family visa, if they have an income of 38k+

Family visa is different from dependent visa.

The dependants of those who came in with 3yrs care visa would be stranded once their visa ends after 3yrs

I believe people should avoid UK for now.

Wether care visa or student Visa...many won't find it easy.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:48am On Dec 05, 2023
lastkingsman:

How does marrying from UK circumvent this?

You still need that sponsorship or am I missing sth?

When you marry a citizen(you would have to do that in Nigeria)....... You get you 2.5 spousal visa (no work restrictions), next 2.5 if marriage is still subsisting, after that ILR ........

So it absolutely circumvents it (less stress).......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:00am On Dec 05, 2023
Raalsalghul:

Quick question Zahra.

They receive a lot of revenue from international fees - both undergraduate and postgraduate - so there is no appetite or reason to cancel student visas completely. Their aim is stop the recent trend of people, esp from certain countries, using the post-graduate route as a way to migrate their families to the UK, as they observed that this was causing a big increase in the net migration figures.

I don't think they will scrap PSW completely as they want to remain a bit competitive, but they will likely tighten it further e.g. cutting down the length , maybe restricting it to certain courses e.g. STEM
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lastkingsman: 10:25am On Dec 05, 2023
Lexusgs430:

When you marry a citizen (you would have to do that in Nigeria) ....... You get you 2.5 spousal visa (no work restrictions), next 2.5 if marriage is still subsisting, after that ILR ........

So it absolutely circumvents it (less stress).......

So you mean the marriage has to take place in Nigeria?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:28am On Dec 05, 2023
lastkingsman:

So you mean the marriage has to take place in Nigeria?

Sure..... Unless law changed.......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Aremson14(m): 10:30am On Dec 05, 2023
Omoā€¦. Guys, would you advise someone to leave his current job of about 200k vs a fully funded scholarship with living costs covered given the recent changes ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:35am On Dec 05, 2023
hustla:

Interesting but you have to put it all together and see where I am coming from as this is not the first time I am speaking about it.

Can you tell me the immigration strategy for the UK? Will it be the same in 5 yrs? Since I have been here, they have changed policies for the worse at least twice. I know a PSW ban in the future isn't off the table because it is their way. Milk the cow and then discard it, per usual

From where I stand and as of now, for students, it looks like they're out to milk us sotey and yet, complains and complains. I can't say its not better than being in Nigeria, it is

If you check what each country has to offer students, the UK comfortably has the worst package and yet, the highest fees to pay for everything. PSW in AU was increased from 3 to 5 yrs, at a cost of about AUD1,800, less than the reported Ā£2,900 for students from next year. Canada's PSW also is about Ā£240

AU and Canada realised students would be battling the effects of this global turmoil you spoke about and asked that students can work more than 20 hrs/ week. UK did not offer or even think of it, instead, Unis increased school fees

I could go on and on but their current strategy exploits students and the least they can do is to stop crying about students every 7 market days as if they do not contribute shingbain to the economy. They want money but they dont want an increase in population, no be juju be that? grin

There is no perfect country or system but at least some stability is needed

Bringing this back

Apparently, their immigration strategy didn't even last 1 year

We will be okay las las

grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) ... (541) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Treadway, wallg123, Olaryeankarh(m), topellycategory, 080bjaked(m), hayesconcept(m), divinegrace4me and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.