Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,741 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (355) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (467996 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) ... (541) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Aremson14(m): 8:00pm On Dec 08, 2023
Please I need advice, I have the option of school accommodation or outside. Average cost of outside is 500 per month (without bills) whilst school is 750 pm(all bills included)

If I stay outside, after arriving I need to be in a hotel till I sort out accommodation and from what I hear getting accommodation can be quite difficult, country: Scotland
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:09pm On Dec 08, 2023
Aremson14:
Please I need advice, I have the option of school accommodation or outside. Average cost of outside is 500 per month (without bills) whilst school is 750 pm(all bills included)

If I stay outside, after arriving I need to be in a hotel till I sort out accommodation and from what I hear getting accommodation can be quite difficult, country: Scotland

Simply factor in the cost of your hotel per night + unnecessary stress you would encounter in the process........

That £250 extra, would pale into insignificance......😁

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 8:34pm On Dec 08, 2023
Please i heard that this new rules does not affect people working in nhs, that they revised the rule for people working in nhs

They said if u work in nhs that you can still be sponsored on a 26k salary and you can bring dependent pls how true is this
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 9:23pm On Dec 08, 2023
Hi Gurus…
I want to make enquiries pls.

My International license(Nigeria Normal license) expired on the 30th of November 2023.
But I haven’t used 12month in the UK . Hope it won’t be a problem since I was in UK before the license expired?

Your input will be appreciated
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 9:29pm On Dec 08, 2023
Efftyy:
Hi Gurus…
I want to make enquiries pls.

My International license(Nigeria Normal license) expired on the 30th of November 2023.
But I haven’t used 12month in the UK . Hope it won’t be a problem since I was in UK before the license expired?

Your input will be appreciated

What is your question? You want to drive using the expired license since you are not up to 12mths in the UK?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 9:40pm On Dec 08, 2023
ehizario2012:
It's my birthday! Gifts would be accepted. grin

Happy birthday and may you continue to grow in riches, success and in all that is Good.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:45pm On Dec 08, 2023
iyatrustee:

What is your question? You want to drive using the expired license since you are not up to 12mths in the UK?

Common ....... Be nice. .....😜😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ukliving: 9:52pm On Dec 08, 2023

8 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tinyemeka(m): 10:54pm On Dec 08, 2023
hayesconcept:
Your friend can’t switch his visa right away. He must finished his study. The only exceptional is if he’s doing his PHD. Tell your friend to rest small.

That immigration policy was passed in July 2023 to take effect 1st January 2024. So he has till the end of this year to make the visa switch.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 11:39pm On Dec 08, 2023
Zahra29:

Because they are fleeing war and death in their home country. So their presence is accepted on humanitarian grounds, if there was no war there would be massive complaints.

Good point! But I wonder if the same argument would be made for war-fleeing Afghans, Sudanese shocked
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by claremont(m): 11:51pm On Dec 08, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6GzGbk9o3I

Apparently, he is a GP who washes cars as a side hustle.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SPDAZZY(f): 12:17am On Dec 09, 2023
Hi everyone,

I remember there were some portable heaters recommended a while back but can't seem to find them.

Please any recommendation for an energy efficient bedroom heater will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:20am On Dec 09, 2023
LionInZion:

Good point! But I wonder if the same argument would be made for war-fleeing Afghans, Sudanese shocked

It's a double standard for sure. The reality is the Ukrainians largely share the same race, religion, culture and continent as Britain, so they assimilate easier and people feel more comfortable with them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Susom(f): 12:22am On Dec 09, 2023
Is it REACH?
Goke7:

so sorry I still can't remember as I have unsubscribed from their mails, still searching my older emails but can't find them. Once I remember hope I do I will post immediately
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:31am On Dec 09, 2023
SPDAZZY:
Hi everyone,

I remember there were some portable heaters recommended a while back but can't seem to find them.

Please any recommendation for an energy efficient bedroom heater will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4151986?rec=

I prefer simple fan heaters like the above. Instant blast of heat, easy to turn off/on and move around.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 12:35am On Dec 09, 2023
iyatrustee:

What a very funny way to summarize the question. 😂 You bad.

@Efftyy it’s illegal to drive with an expired licence globally. I will assume expired Licence means expired insurance. In the UK, you can be charged up to -£1k if caught.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 1:18am On Dec 09, 2023
Zahra29:

It's a double standard for sure. The reality is the Ukrainians largely share the same race, religion, culture and continent as Britain, so they assimilate easier and people feel more comfortable with them.

Touche
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ttummee: 1:37am On Dec 09, 2023
Lexusgs430:

- When did you sign this contract...........
- Did you take this contract out online or in the shop........

Took the contract march this year , online.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 3:08am On Dec 09, 2023
ttummee:

Person just confuse anyhow now, I'm making progress with Barclays Bank for a business analyst role but this new policy driving people towards care alone now... Nawa.

I am still expecting to hear from them after interview now, make Dem nor gimme story like that employment process that was cancelled!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 3:09am On Dec 09, 2023
[quote author=SPDAZZY post=127388314]Hi everyone,

Thanks!
i use 2 of oil filled heater one for each bedroom, very energy efficient and fast heat so you can off it when the room is warm
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schallen-Portable-Adjustable-Temperature-Thermostat/dp/B00D8WTRQU
[/quote

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 3:20am On Dec 09, 2023
I saw messages on IPTV here recently, I currently use roku but need to watch UCL, EPL, Europa etc... what's the way please?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 3:41am On Dec 09, 2023
ehizario2012:

Person just confuse anyhow now, I'm making progress with Barclays Bank for a business analyst role but this new policy driving people towards care alone now... Nawa.

I am still expecting to hear from them after interview now, make Dem nor gimme story like that employment process that was cancelled!
The new policy has nothing to do with you, Business Analysts at Barclays do not earn 26k. Don’t let the fear mongering get to you.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 3:45am On Dec 09, 2023
profemebee:
that's why i had to remind him i have only a Nigerian passport.. i'm also affected as an immigrant..

They even compared the data from tourist visas to work visas Lol. Such a silly comparison but I guess we can all agree to disagree. To each their own.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gerrard59(m): 4:05am On Dec 09, 2023
Raalsalghul:

Touche

Humans are tribal. That one is sure. Should there be war in Taiwan, Japan, and Singapore to an extent, will gladly accept Taiwanese as refugees. But none of those countries accepted refugees from Myanmar. Many applied to Japan, and she refused except for one prominent human rights activist.

Na why young people suppose understand the world for what it is, rather than what they should/expect it to be.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:26am On Dec 09, 2023
ttummee:

Unfortunately, it looks like you're stuck with this contract and would do as network provider advised.......

If you recently moved address, you can write them a letter/email, pleading your case .... They might be kind to you .......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 4:36am On Dec 09, 2023
Gerrard59:

Humans are tribal. That one is sure. Should there be war in Taiwan, Japan, and Singapore to an extent, will gladly accept Taiwanese as refugees. But none of those countries accepted refugees from Myanmar. Many applied to Japan, and she refused except for one prominent human rights activist.

Na why young people suppose understand the world for what it is, rather than what they should/expect it to be.

Thank you. Especially for the last part. Some people love the feeling of victim mentality so much they reduce everything into one ‘ism’ or the other automatically.

I was going to ask the OP if Nigeria got involved in supporting Ukraine the way it did for the West African countries in crisis following coups/wars.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Agidipie: 6:30am On Dec 09, 2023
Hi, I need a candid advise. I am an international student and would be starting my internship in January 2024, I also would be starting a AWS course this January. I want to buy a laptop, I budgeted £450 pounds for a solid brand new laptop (hp). Been searching online tho, but someone advised I go for a refurbished MacBook on back market or other sites, that it would be better because I would find something great with my budget. What do you guys think And you can drop any site one can find great quality refurbished laptops in uk
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:55am On Dec 09, 2023
Agidipie:
Hi, I need a candid advise. I am an international student and would be starting my internship in January 2024, I also would be starting a AWS course this January. I want to buy a laptop, I budgeted £450 pounds for a solid brand new laptop (hp). Been searching online tho, but someone advised I go for a refurbished MacBook on back market or other sites, that it would be better because I would find something great with my budget. What do you guys think And you can drop any site one can find great quality refurbished laptops in uk

You don't need a MacBook for AWS courses, a windows pc will do just fine

You can get on ebay or Backmarket if you want the MacBook

smiley

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Overthinker: 9:29am On Dec 09, 2023
Encouraging someone out there to keep applying for these jobs because that's what this thread did for me. If I wasn't following this thread I would think once I secure a good warehouse job, I should keep it, but I kept applying, different jobs different role and now I have my offer letter for an entry role with a bank. It's not a big salary but promise of growth is enough for me to start from there. Warehouse is an honest job and a good one, but nothing stops us from aiming higher. All the arguments or the fights, all the differing opinions, believe me it goes a long way in helping the new immigrants. So let's keep aiming higher.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 9:37am On Dec 09, 2023
Overthinker:
Encouraging someone out there to keep applying for these jobs because that's what this thread did for me. If I wasn't following this thread I would think once I secure a good warehouse job, I should keep it, but I kept applying, different jobs different role and now I have my offer letter for an entry role with a bank. It's not a big salary but promise of growth is enough for me to start from there. Warehouse is an honest job and a good one, but nothing stops us from aiming higher. All the arguments or the fights, all the differing opinions, believe me it goes a long way in helping the new immigrants. So let's keep aiming higher.

Congrats... It's a role with transferable skills and significant opportunities for growth.

It's stuff like this folks want to hear. Keep pushing

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 9:42am On Dec 09, 2023
Viruses:
For home insurance, going directly to the insurer's site, I got a quote of £471/year, going to the same insurer's site from compare the market I got £271/year, going from confused.com I got £152/year. This is for all the extras selected etc.

I want to go for the cheapest quote but I'm kind of worried if all is not what it seems.

Is there a difference or will there be an issue if I buy using the quote I'm getting from comparison sites?

I dont see an issue. But be sure to read the fine print about what's covered and to what extent. Many times, the cheaper offer might not cover an aspect (e.g emergency call outs) and you'd have the option of adding that cover for more before paying.

Also worth looking thru cashback sites. Got £42 back from my home insurance of £250.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 10:02am On Dec 09, 2023
Goke7:

In addition while immigrants in nhs have no restrictions on bringing their spouses and families at any salary amount, the Brits working in nhs cannot bring in foreign spouses except they earn 38,700k so who do we blame now.

Please i also read this in the news, is it true that this new policy doesn't affect people in nhs, asin so far you work in nhs your salary can 27k and you can be sponsored and bring dependent, is this true pls

(1) (2) (3) ... (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) ... (541) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: seunoj, Divine88, 080bjaked(m), wallg123 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.