Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (444) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (459792 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) ... (531) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 11:55am On Feb 16
not a good example sha lol

He had vitiligo..

MJ was embraced by everyone.. every race.. he was and still one of the fewest Megastars to get on that level of global stardom... we might never have anyone like him again in the entertainment world

ehizario2012:

...for what it is, and not what it should be. Well said. A dentist friend of mine was narrating how some patients refuse black doctors till now, as if na d doctor disease go kill.

R***SM and tri****sm sit deep in the human nature, nothing can take it away. It can only be managed. Michael Jackson tried to become white but he still wasn't accepted, so no matter the number of years spent here or ILR/citizen or whatever status, never forget who you are. It's their land, and rightly so.

The aim is to make the best of the opportunities here, and firmly understand your place while actively contributing to the development of the host country/community. That's a better way of seeing the symbiotic relationship.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:05pm On Feb 16
Raalsalghul:

Just out of curiosity, what then is the most common route to relocation?

Do you also have the data?

The most common pathways to permanent residency are family and work visas. There are faster routes but they have more stringent reqts and higher bars of entry.

Student and PSW visas do not have a pathway to settlement on their own.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 12:07pm On Feb 16
Zahra29:

The most common pathways to permanent residency are family and work visas. There are faster routes but they have more stringent reqts and higher bars of entry.

Student and PSW visas do not have a pathway to settlement on their own.

Okay, do you have a link to the stats and data?

Quick question:

Does this data also take cognizance of the fact that students too do convert to family and work visas?

Or is the data directly from folks who get the family and work visas without going through the student route: from outside the country maybe?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 12:12pm On Feb 16
Zahra29:

The back door phrase was used by the government.

Re the bolded, you might be conflating UK's immigration policies with Canada's. There is no direct pathway in the UK from student to permanent resident. The student and PSW visas are temporary and do not count towards permanent residency (except on a 10 year route when combined with other visa routes).

I remember using the word "process" and not "pathway". grin

Maybe my semantics is rusty but did a quick check in ChatGPT:

"A process typically refers to a series of actions or steps that lead to a particular outcome or result. On the other hand, a pathway often refers to a route or course that connects various points or components, either physically or metaphorically. In many contexts, a process involves the execution of specific tasks or operations, while a pathway may involve the progression or flow of something, such as information, molecules, or events. Essentially, a process is more focused on the actions themselves, while a pathway emphasizes the route or trajectory taken."

Clearly different meanings.

Abeg make person help, english is not my first language. grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mamatukwas: 12:34pm On Feb 16
Thank you @hustla You were right. That Suya hut Suya is the truth!! Jollof didn’t do too much for me but it was Aight. Then I strolled down to Tasty Kitchen and bought massive sized puff puff smiley very happy indeed.

Una no quick talk that Woolich matter but I’ve KIV’d for next time.

Back to home base.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mamatukwas: 12:37pm On Feb 16
Does anyone know if having points on your licence can affect your ILR application?

Is it better to plead guilty from the beginning or go to court and contest if you might still be found guilty? This is for a minor traffic violation with no more than the potential for 3 points.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gerrard59(m): 12:56pm On Feb 16
ehizario2012:

...for what it is, and not what it should be. Well said. A dentist friend of mine was narrating how some patients refuse black doctors till now, as if na d doctor disease go kill.

R***SM and tri****sm sit deep in the human nature, nothing can take it away. It can only be managed. Michael Jackson tried to become white but he still wasn't accepted, so no matter the number of years spent here or ILR/citizen or whatever status, never forget who you are. It's their land, and rightly so.

The aim is to make the best of the opportunities here, and firmly understand your place while actively contributing to the development of the host country/community. That's a better way of seeing the symbiotic relationship.

Hopefully, the second generation blacks all across Europe understand this. Those in the US are excluded as their case is different. Get the passport, experience, money and contribute to your homeland. It must not be Nigeria sef. One second-generation Brit who worked with Shell dey Rwanda cultivating crops for exports to the Middle East and Europe.

If black dentists are declined in the UK, I dey wonder how it is for black medical professionals (assume they exist there) in Switzerland and Poland. grin grin grin grin grin grin

But to be frank, if I were Polish, I would rather have someone who loos like me work on my teeth. There is that psychological comfort. It is a human trait. Shey it is the same new immigrant moms in the UK prefer to be attended to by black nurses rather than non-blacks.

Humans are tribal.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:44pm On Feb 16
Mamatukwas:
Thank you @hustla You were right. That Suya hut Suya is the truth!! Jollof didn’t do too much for me but it was Aight. Then I strolled down to Tasty Kitchen and bought massive sized puff puff smiley very happy indeed.

Una no quick talk that Woolich matter but I’ve KIV’d for next time.

Back to home base.

grin grin

Glad you enjoyed it

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Walexwal: 3:05pm On Feb 16
Dear all, I kinda need your advice on a pension-ish.

I have 20k in my pension pot from my former job. Now, I have moved to a teacher's pension. How best can I utilise the money effectively or what can I invest it in? I don't want to just leave it dormant in that pot. It had stayed one year already @Lexusgs430.
Thanks in advance
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:15pm On Feb 16
Walexwal:

I have 20k in my pension pot from my former job. Now, I have moved to a teacher's pension. How best can I utilise the money effectively or what can I invest it in? I don't want to just leave it dormant in that pot. It had stayed one year already @Lexusgs430.
Thanks in advance

It doesn't remain dormant..... Your old pension provider would continually invest balance(you would only lose out on the ability to top up)..... You can't invest your £20K into anything, because you have no direct access to it)......😜

OR

Move your pension to another pension provider(subject to provider's term's)..........

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:52pm On Feb 16
Raalsalghul:

Okay, do you have a link to the stats and data?

Quick question:

Does this data also take cognizance of the fact that students too do convert to family and work visas?

Or is the data directly from folks who get the family and work visas without going through the student route: from outside the country maybe?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. The facts remain that the student/PSW visa is not an official pathway to settlement which is why it does not count towards ILR.

The government became alarmed at the increasing number purporting to be students, but actually just using this as a way in with the primary aim of staying permanently. They termed this a back door route to settlement and responded with restrictive policies in order to curb the migration numbers.
C'est fini.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by humblemoi: 4:03pm On Feb 16
Mamatukwas:

Does anyone know if having points on your licence can affect your ILR application?

Is it better to plead guilty from the beginning or go to court and contest if you might still be found guilty? This is for a minor traffic violation with no more than the potential for 3 points.

I can confirm to you that it doesn't. Just mention it there and that's it. Doesn't impact the application.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 4:37pm On Feb 16
ehizario2012:

OMG! What do you mean by MJ tried to be white? In what ways did MJ tried to be white? And in what ways was he not accepted?

I'm sure you are part of the people that believe he did skin surgery to change his skin colour ? MJ had a serious medical condition that affected his skin, which made his skin start to change color. You should atleast do your research before condemning the poor soul.

As for acceptance, MJ was at some point the most loved and biggest artist in the USA. Loved by both whites and blacks alike. How else do you define acceptance?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cassan(f): 4:50pm On Feb 16
hustla:

Looking to visit too. Where are you travelling from?

The majority of information can be obtained from TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube.

I had a busy week. I am so sorry I am just seeing this. My friends and I are flying from Heathrow. I haven’t seen in-depth info from any of these platforms.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 5:09pm On Feb 16
heroshark:

OMG! What do you mean by MJ tried to be white? In what ways did MJ tried to be white? And in what ways was he not accepted?

I'm sure you are part of the people that believe he did skin surgery to change his skin colour ? MJ had a serious medical condition that affected his skin, which made his skin start to change color. You should atleast do your research before condemning the poor soul.

As for acceptance, MJ was at some point the most loved and biggest artist in the USA. Loved by both whites and blacks alike. How else do you define acceptance?

Yeah right..it affected his hair and voice too

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:24pm On Feb 16
Cassan:

I had a busy week. I am so sorry I am just seeing this. My friends and I are flying from Heathrow. I haven’t seen in-depth info from any of these platforms.

Okay no issues

I think someone recently traveled to Albo and gave his itinerary .. You can ask him

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BorisJohnson(f): 6:54pm On Feb 16
Lexusgs430:

Oya ọ..... Where we fit see gala buy ....... 🤣

Very soon, it would be ₦2000 - £1 .......😁

Crystal Ball.
Abi eye dey pain me?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 6:58pm On Feb 16
Guys kindly suggest jobs that pays 15£/hr and above.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:00pm On Feb 16
BorisJohnson:

Crystal Ball.
Abi eye dey pain me?

E have finally finish........ 😭😅
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 7:08pm On Feb 16
Double bed is available in Abbeywood London. 2 guys can share as well.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 8:09pm On Feb 16
Great discussion today.
I have 1 bone to pick though.
I don't think we,the victims, benefit from censoring words like racism and tribalism.

It only enables the bad people to hide and continue their bad work.
I would probably not write it in bold but I will certainly write it in full.
Anyone it pains to be called racist should change.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:28pm On Feb 16
missjekyll:
Great discussion today.
I have 1 bone to pick though.
I don't think we,the victims, benefit from censoring words like racism and tribalism.

It only enables the bad people to hide and continue their bad work.
I would probably not write it in bold but I will certainly write it in full.
Anyone it pains to be called racist should change.

What's the difference between racism and tribalism........ 🤣😛

The amount of tribalism we inflict upon ourselves in Nigeria, cannot be quantified or justified...... Small racism we are victims of in the UK, we want to blow the house down, but shoulder tribalism in Nigeria, with our full chest............ 🤣😂😜

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mamatukwas: 10:24pm On Feb 16
humblemoi:

I can confirm to you that it doesn't. Just mention it there and that's it. Doesn't impact the application.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ramafama: 10:34pm On Feb 16
Walexwal:

Thanks in advance

You can open a SIPP - Self invested private pension and transfer all of the pension from the old employer to the new SIPP. You can pay privately into the new Sipp and the HMRC will top up about 20% or so.
Please verify this figure.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:51pm On Feb 16
ramafama:

You can open a SIPP - Self invested private pension and transfer all of the pension from the old employer to the new SIPP. You can pay privately into the new Sipp and the HMRC will top up about 20% or so.
Please verify this figure.

But he would have to self manage the SIPP account...... Is OP brave enough....... 😜🤣

Yes, HMRC gives a % based on contributions..... But your SIPP provider, would also charge you a fee....... 🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by claremont(m): 11:58pm On Feb 16
BorisJohnson:

Crystal Ball.
Abi eye dey pain me?

This was just last month. The Naira is in free fall.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 12:17am On Feb 17
This is a good time to send moeny home. You will get more naira for you pound. Use my referral link:
https://referral.lemfi.com/invite/e6iu
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 12:22am On Feb 17
Goodenoch:

So what's your solution? People unable to work or live normally due to their disability shouldn't be supported to have normal lives? Or you think they are paid too much so they should only be kept alive but not afforded any opportunity for leisure?

This individual's case is clearly very unique and that's why it's in the news. Beware of assuming that's the norm (unless you know many other people saving 50k from their disability payments).

Also, whether it benefits the economy or not is secondary. The core question is whether it benefits people to live a good life. What's the point of a robust economy if large swathes of people are living in lack due to not being able to work and earn an income and also not being supported by the government?

hmm not really. Why it made the news was because the council clawed it back. Most councils stop paying in money when the money gets to a certain amount and wait for it drop then continue paying. They clawed it back without notifying him and the man went berserk.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 12:29am On Feb 17
dustydee:
This is a good time to send moeny home. You will get more naira for you pound. Use my referral link:
https://referral.lemfi.com/invite/e6iu

No be when you get excess money you go send home? If e like e reach N10k to £1, if money no dey shingbai no dey fly anywhere

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 12:40am On Feb 17
wonlasewonimi:

Yeah right..it affected his hair and voice too

Accurate shot! Thank you.

There's no point in arguing.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 12:46am On Feb 17
ehizario2012:

The aim is to make the best of the opportunities here, and firmly understand your place while actively contributing to the development of the host country/community.
That's a better way of seeing the symbiotic relationship.

I see your point but the phrasing is a bit off.

Britain is quite multicultural and the that change is set to continue. Our place in the UK is not at the bottom. Many of us would in 5-10 years contribute more to this society than many have over decades/lifetimes. We can fight our corner.

As an immigrant, you can rightly make the UK your home. Yes, the overall default is to point fingers at the immigrant when things go wrong but as more immigrants fight through the ranks, acceptance becomes inevitable.
The rise of many Nigerians and Indians in Healthcare and other fields has watered down the otherwise racist views on these group. If you GP you always see is an Indian, it overtime has an effect on your subconscious moreso with second gen folks like Kemi and Rishi pushing through

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) ... (531) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.