Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,871 members, 7,828,105 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (468) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (484296 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (465) (466) (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) ... (553) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by makazona(m): 12:47pm On Mar 06
Viruses:

Use both the provisional and Nigerian license to your advantage.

Use the below hack. In your case, first use the provisional, wait like a month (don't drive or get an accompanying driver) then update your details. In my case, I updated from provisional to full UK after 4 months and my price remained the same, I only paid £73 update fee.

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing this 😁

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by makazona(m): 1:02pm On Mar 06
wonlasewonimi:

She can stay on the tarmac for few hours

You are baaad 😂😂😂😂🤣

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 1:08pm On Mar 06
i'm tired.. interesting conversations though

Goodenoch:

Lol

Don’t be funny. An estimate from the UK government is the same as a random person pulling figures from the air based on anecdotes? Haba be realistic and honest please.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 1:09pm On Mar 06
i love this angle... lol grin

Goodenoch:

People from Chad displaced by Boko Haram are housed in IDP camps for free at the expense of the Nigerian government while Americans coming to work in Nigeria have to pay visa fees, expatriate levies and support themselves. That means the Nigerian government is discriminatory, right?

The sort of poor logic one sees here regularly sef gives credence to certain claims.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 1:21pm On Mar 06
UK this... UK that...

Meanwhile a lot of us don't know how difficult our Nigerian visa process is for foreigners for example...

I have applied for a visa for Blackberry Execs from Canada before when i worked in Nigeria.. when Blackberry was Blackberry... the shit I saw with my very own eyes.. the process they were put through..

These were people coming to invest oooo..

Some people complain we don't have access to benefits.. what benefits has Nigeria ever offered us ?? ever our own country...

Even pensions from decades of sweat, blood and tears are stolen in billions and the older ones have nothing to fall on or die before they receive it.. no benefits, no pensions after decades..

Let's be real ..

You applied for a school visa and accepted/claimed you had funds to be able to take care of yourself financially.. and knew there will be no govt support.. knew the bills to be paid before you even left Nigeria

You applied for family/spousal visa and knew your spouse has to earn a minimum and you will need to be able to take care of yourself financially.. and knew there will be no govt support.. knew the bills to be paid before you even left Nigeria

I can go on and on...

It is a simple case of walking through a known landmine and then complaining when some mines go off...

I still saw 2 cases this week on families being shattered because of lack of planning and facing reality.. and they've sold everything in Nigeria and are now stuck and need loans/change of visa or they're back to Nigeria soon

Nahhhh

profemebee:
i love this angle... lol grin

15 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UnconventionalT: 1:29pm On Mar 06
A friend of mine is currently overstaying her visa after she was unfortunate to get a COS. It's been 6 months of trying to stay low key as possible as she can. No Facebook presence as such, linkedl is deleted, avoid police wahala etc. Is there a way she can legalize her stay? Coming to Nigeria isn't an option for her, breadwinner of the family
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 1:34pm On Mar 06
While we wait for experienced answers to this, pls convince her that going back to Nigeria should always be an option.. even if it is the last resort.. i wish her well

UnconventionalT:
A friend of mine is currently overstaying her visa after she was unfortunate to get a COS. It's been 6 months of trying to stay low key as possible as she can. No Facebook presence as such, linkedl is deleted, avoid police wahala etc. Is there a way she can legalize her stay? Coming to Nigeria isn't an option for her, breadwinner of the family

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by cosjuilet89: 1:37pm On Mar 06
Hi house please I need your advice.

I have applied for cos on the 19 February but I haven't gotten any letter or certificate that I will use to apply for visa

My question is if it passes 11 march can I still bring my family or dependent with me cause am worried.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jamebex(m): 1:49pm On Mar 06
cosjuilet89:
Hi house please I need your advice.

I have applied for cos on the 19 February but I haven't gotten any letter or certificate that I will use to apply for visa

My question is if it passes 11 march can I still bring my family or dependent with me cause am worried.

Sadly, no.

Unless your visa application is in before the March date you'd have to be treated on the new rules.

Put pressure on your sponsor to give you the COS, pointing out the obvious implications if you are unable to get it before the March 11 date.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 1:56pm On Mar 06
UnconventionalT:

Before ther sharecode era, you are able to circumvent everything by using dagbo. These days, your friend needs some prayer warriors back home to survive the onslaught.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 2:08pm On Mar 06
UnconventionalT:

Maybe marriage or someone that's on COS to do join man with

smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 2:11pm On Mar 06
UnconventionalT:

Let her give birth, after 7 yrs she can use the child to regularize her stay.

Go the LGBTQ route and have the community protect you. Yes they can. Infact if you know the loopholes, you will get ILR before you say jack.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 2:20pm On Mar 06
Viruses:

Go the LGBTQ route and have the community protect you. Yes they can. Infact if you know the loopholes, you will get ILR before you say jack.

If she gives birth, why not just give birth for someone who's a citizen and have him apply for her? Or it doesnt work that way?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:34pm On Mar 06
makazona:

Thanks a bunch.

This is very helpful. I will work on it.

You're welcome, I hope you're able to find a favourable deal
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:38pm On Mar 06
hustla:

Maybe marriage or someone that's on COS to do join man with

smiley

Once an individual becomes an overstayer, it is virtually impossible to regularise via the marriage route. The only open route now is human rights via a British/settled child or via private life.

The human rights route is typically a 10 year route from the date of regularisation to ILR.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:40pm On Mar 06
Viruses:

Not quite Jack - ILR in 10 years after making 4 applications (2.5 years * 4)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 2:51pm On Mar 06
Zahra29:

Once an individual becomes an overstayer, it is virtually impossible to regularise via the marriage route. The only open route now is human rights via a British/settled child or via private life.

The human rights route is typically a 10 year route from the date of regularisation to ILR.

This quite different from the US..In the US overstayers get married and obtain residency.. There is a reason why UK and the word conservatives go hand in hand.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:58pm On Mar 06
Santa2:

This quite different from the US..In the US overstayers get married and obtain residency.. There is a reason why UK and the word conservatives go hand in hand.

Conversely in America, am overstayer parent cannot regularise their status even though they have American children born in the US.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:06pm On Mar 06
Viruses:

As she does not have a valid visa, she will likely receive a hefty NHS bill for the birth of the child which she will need to pay ( at least with a payment plan) before her visa is granted.

In the intervening 7 years how will she take care of her child without the right to work? How will she afford nursery fees? Where will she live if she doesn't have the right to rent? How will she afford the visa application fees for both her and her child - she will need to pay IHS fees for both of them and will likely need a lawyer to help with the application.

Being illegal is not as easy as some are making out. As a PP opined, going back should be an option, certainly before leave expires.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:19pm On Mar 06
Zahra29:

Between the devil and the deep, blue sea

Choi

embarassed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 3:31pm On Mar 06
Zahra29:

As she does not have a valid visa, she will likely receive a hefty NHS bill for the birth of the child which she will need to pay ( at least with a payment plan) before her visa is granted.

In the intervening 7 years how will she take care of her child without the right to work? How will she afford nursery fees? Where will she live if she doesn't have the right to rent? How will she afford the visa application fees for both her and her child - she will need to pay IHS fees for both of them and will likely need a lawyer to help with the application.

Being illegal is not as easy as some are making out. As a PP opined, going back should be an option, certainly before leave expires.

This is you thinking she's going to have a baby with a fellow overstayer

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 3:32pm On Mar 06
Zahra29:

Not exactly. The spouse visa route to a settled person or person with British citizenship is actually the only route where you won’t suffer the brunt of your previous overstay period so harshly IF YOU GO BACK to your home country and apply from there to return as the spouse of a British citizen + declare ALL of one’s true immigration history in the UK on your application form with no lies.
Some go as far as seeking asylum inbetween so that their 3c leave is not broken, then when they find the spouse(scapegoat) they would now try to do the spouse one. It is a whole mess with so many loopholes.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:19pm On Mar 06
wonlasewonimi:

This is you thinking she's going to have a baby with a fellow overstayer

It doesn't matter if the father is British - unless he plans to carry and deliver the child himself, it is the mother who actually uses the NHS and who will receive a bill for the hospital birth.
Only difference is that the child in this instance will be born British and will not need to regularise their status.

There is a section in the antenatal registration form that requests details of the mother's immigration status. Some trusts might be a bit laidback on checks, but others such as Kings College, St George's etc - are strict and will follow up.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:24pm On Mar 06
giselle237:

Not exactly. The spouse visa route to a settled person or person with British citizenship is actually the only route where you won’t suffer the brunt of your previous overstay period so harshly IF YOU GO BACK to your home country and apply from there to return as the spouse of a British citizen + declare ALL of one’s true immigration history in the UK on your application form with no lies.
Some go as far as seeking asylum inbetween so that their 3c leave is not broken, then when they find the spouse(scapegoat) they would now try to do the spouse one. It is a whole mess with so many loopholes.

Agree with the bolded which is it's almost always better to go back and keep your options open/make another application.

Preferably before overstaying as this could complicate/delay any subsequent applications.

Regarding seeking asylum, this only works to buy time if there is a huge asylum backlog. However the govt now seems committed to working through asylum applications quickly and a refusal could be returned before a scapegoat spouse is found.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bukad(m): 5:11pm On Mar 06
I passed my theory test today FIRST ATTEMPT.

Thanks to everyone here who shared thier success story and inspiration.

Used the app recommended here for preparation.

6 weeks intensive practice of mock test.

Thanks to the elders here for always sharing wisdom.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 5:41pm On Mar 06
@zahra29

Just curious, are you a lawyer or are you close to government? You seem to be very knowledgeable and up to date about a lot of these govt policies

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 6:33pm On Mar 06
Zahra29:

Agree with the bolded which is it's almost always better to go back and keep your options open/make another application.
Preferably before overstaying as this could complicate/delay any subsequent applications.
Regarding seeking asylum, this only works to buy time if there is a huge asylum backlog. However the govt now seems committed to working through asylum applications quickly and a refusal could be returned before a scapegoat spouse is found.
After the refusal re asylum, you are allowed to appeal or file fresh claim. There is no definite shut door and that’s why the fiasco. They go on to give birth and hoping to buy time- 7 years to put in for private life route.
And a lot get to prolong and prolong and meet up with this 7 year timeline.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AKALAMAGBO: 6:55pm On Mar 06
Bruv… She’s amongst the people we can’t afford to lose on this forum, her In-depth knowledge, understanding and wisdom coupled with how she’s never defensive anytime there’s an argument involving her is so commendable.

She’s like theGUYfromtheHR…. But he stopped commenting on this thread a long time ago….
deept:
@zahra29

Just curious, are you a lawyer or are you close to government? You seem to be very knowledgeable and up to date about a lot of these govt policies

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 7:30pm On Mar 06
profemebee:
UK this... UK that...

Meanwhile a lot of us don't know how difficult our Nigerian visa process is for foreigners for example...

I have applied for a visa for Blackberry Execs from Canada before when i worked in Nigeria.. when Blackberry was Blackberry... the shit I saw with my very own eyes.. the process they were put through..

These were people coming to invest oooo..

Some people complain we don't have access to benefits.. what benefits has Nigeria ever offered us ?? ever our own country...

Even pensions from decades of sweat, blood and tears are stolen in billions and the older ones have nothing to fall on or die before they receive it.. no benefits, no pensions after decades..

Let's be real ..

You applied for a school visa and accepted/claimed you had funds to be able to take care of yourself financially.. and knew there will be no govt support.. knew the bills to be paid before you even left Nigeria

You applied for family/spousal visa and knew your spouse has to earn a minimum and you will need to be able to take care of yourself financially.. and knew there will be no govt support.. knew the bills to be paid before you even left Nigeria

I can go on and on...

It is a simple case of walking through a known landmine and then complaining when some mines go off...

I still saw 2 cases this week on families being shattered[b] because of lack of planning and facing reality[/b].. and they've sold everything in Nigeria and are now stuck and need loans/change of visa or they're back to Nigeria soon

Nahhhh

@ the bolded..I know cases where people planned well and still got the burnt end of the stick. Its not really a one size fit all. Someone I know after being sponsored for 3 and half years, His organisation filed for bankruptcy and when under. That's how dude found himself without sponsorship and with just 90days to find another. Despite being a software developer he was unable to get a job to sponsor him within the time period. He got several offers but just not one that would sponsor. Bobo was well established here, bought his house, and all. Luckily he already had plan B else na back to Tibunu and sundry. He still feels burnt on how he had to leave the country. May life not happen to us despite all our plans.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 8:21pm On Mar 06
I totally agree.. i was referring to the 2 cases in context that are currently facing this..

My point is.... we complain about "everything", including things our own country can't provide....

Sorry about your friend.. did you mean he left? relocated to another country (not Nigeria)?

I'm glad he had plan B

The bolded part in your post is very very key though.. quality prayer

[quote author=Santa2 post=128810701]

@ the bolded..I know cases where people planned well and still got the burnt end of the stick. Its not really a one size fit all. Someone I know after being sponsored for 3 and half years, His organisation filed for bankruptcy and when under. That's how dude found himself without sponsorship and with just 90days to find another. Despite being a software developer he was unable to get a job to sponsor him within the time period. He got several offers but just not one that would sponsor. Bobo was well established here, bought his house, and all. Luckily he already had plan B else na back to Tibunu and sundry. He still feels burnt on how he had to leave the country. May life not happen to us despite all our plans.[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 9:26pm On Mar 06
Your head Dey there. Any piece of advice for him as elder so e no go enter trouble
Lexusgs430:

Vivastreet....
😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:04pm On Mar 06
hustla:

If she gives birth, why not just give birth for someone who's a citizen and have him apply for her? Or it doesnt work that way?

It's not easy to determine who will marry you or make you his/her legal partner but you can get pregnant for any random guy and keep the child.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (465) (466) (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) ... (553) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: Zahra29, Laadeh(f), AirBay, Lexusgs430, anozie09(m), wallg123 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.