Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,834 members, 7,828,044 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (491) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (484117 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) ... (553) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LaXxOnebody(m): 1:39pm On Mar 16
Thank you for your initiative and starting the thread in tge first place.

God Bless You!

fatima04:
Congratulations to hustla on your distinction and Msc completion. All the best with the job search.

@lexus seems you no pay tithe to the community oo and cost of living crisis no make people see road. Transfer of aggression just dey happen anyhow.

Please keep up the good work and banter. Most times I wonder how you do it being consistent on NL over the years.

Thank God I was here to read up sha before justwise comes to clean up and funny to read the irony from the statement/previous post of most of the accusers.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rowon(m): 1:41pm On Mar 16
NezzyMike
post=128951152:

If no video evidence, abeg don't ever agree you slept on duty. I hope you registered with a union. Stick to the 15 minutes of leaving earlier cus you lost a loved one. Be consistent
We don't know don't if there's any video evidence yet because we have not been told. The reporter was the one that lost someone and requested to go earlier before closing time.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 2:10pm On Mar 16
I m holding my horses , zahra till i see some manifestos. This dianne abbot fiasco has got me in my feelings.

Also , with all the BAME ministers in government, there has never been a worse time than now to be black in the recent past. I ll be watching him to see what he's made of.

Still Register to vote, people. And stand by to go about!

Zahra29:
https://news.sky.com/story/vaughan-gething-the-vets-son-and-cricket-fan-whos-set-to-become-waless-first-minister-13079100

From his family experiencing racism when his Welsh father moved his Zambian wife and young children to Wales, to becoming the first black / black-ish leader of any European country.

Calls for celebration 🎉🎊

@missjekyll, he's one of yours so I expect you'll be dropping party details asap grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:50pm On Mar 16
missjekyll:
I m holding my horses , zahra till i see some manifestos. This dianne abbot fiasco has got me in my feelings.

Also , with all the BAME ministers in government, there has never been a worse time than now to be black in the recent past. I ll be watching him to see what he's made of.

Still Register to vote, people. And stand by to go about!

Just being appointed as the first black leader of any EU country is a win and should be recognised as such.

30 years ago it would have been inconceivable. It shows growth is taking place in the midst of weeds which will always be there by the way.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:05pm On Mar 16
fatima04:
Congratulations to hustla on your distinction and Msc completion. All the best with the job search.

@lexus seems you no pay tithe to the community oo and cost of living crisis no make people see road. Transfer of aggression just dey happen anyhow.

Please keep up the good work and banter. Most times I wonder how you do it being consistent on NL over the years.

Thank God I was here to read up sha before justwise comes to clean up and funny to read the irony from the statement/previous post of most of the accusers.

It seemed the fact that I was allowed to pay £20 to attend college + the realisation that the government paid me a grant to attend university + also gave me student loans....... 🤣

Was the final tipping point...... 🤣

Venting one's anger, is a form of therapy.... Some venom been realeased..... It makes them lighter + recharge them, for another session (sometime in the future)....... 😜

If this makes them happy, I went back to university subsequently (paid full price) + never required gofundme support........ 😁

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 4:54pm On Mar 16
Thanks Zarah. Thank you for reminding me that Sometimes you have to step away to see the wood for the trees.
Zahra29:

Just being appointed as the first black leader of any EU country is a win and should be recognised as such.

30 years ago it would have been inconceivable. It shows growth is taking place in the midst of weeds which will always be there by the way.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 5:05pm On Mar 16
Zahra29:

I thought sunak was the first black to be appointed leader or my eyes day pain me ? The first minister of Scotland also is black na….. or Asians get another colour code : shocked grin grin… in the eyes of a racist person we are all tagged black but Asian won’t agree say them black.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:52pm On Mar 16
The chickens have returned home...... It's now time to roost/roast ........ 😂

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/universities-foreign-students-financial-crisis-b2513637.html

Nigerian currency collapse was also mentioned........ 😂

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 6:56pm On Mar 16
Treadway:
it's not that. It is about a black teenager (student) being bullied by some white students from school. They made him kiss their shoe.

On that link, Edit/Insert Twitter dotcom or X dotcom just after the http://

Ensure you write the dotcom the normal way. If I wrote it the proper way it would also be automatically erased, hence, why I wrote it as dotcom.

Nland automatically erased the complete link out

Oh yeah
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 6:57pm On Mar 16
Lexusgs430:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/universities-foreign-students-financial-crisis-b2513637.html

Why must these people drag Nigeria into this ? grin grin
“ Northumbria University said the cuts were necessary because of “a sudden reduction of the number of students” arriving in the UK from Nigeria, where the currency has collapsed against the pound.” Copied from the independent

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:02pm On Mar 16
wallg123:

“ Northumbria University said the cuts were necessary because of “a sudden reduction of the number of students” arriving in the UK from Nigeria, where the currency has collapsed against the pound.” Copied from the independent

Any business model facing a 71% reduction in patronage (without strong financial backup)...... Would have to make drastic decisions to survive...... 😊

The flexible immigration policies, was the carrot and stick........ Once the carrot was removed..... People voted with their 10 fingers + 10 toes (I am aware some people have more)........ 🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 7:02pm On Mar 16
wallg123:

Interesting times really...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 7:06pm On Mar 16
Jamesclooney:

Heart wrenching video indeed. Lots of cases on WhatsApp groups and social media of bullying in school. Some parents have responded by saying they’ll teach their kids self-defence or telling their child to target one of them in the group and the others will scram. But I’m not buying that solution. I feel it could end up badly. Please let’s have an open conversation on other options for kids facing bullying/racism, very horrible situation.

Very dicey situation, however I feel bullies get stronger when the bullied cowers... Sometimes you have to "fight" to be a man. As long as it's among kids, a brawl should be excusable...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 7:19pm On Mar 16
ehizario2012:

Very dicey situation, however I feel bullies get stronger when the bullied cowers... Sometimes you have to "fight" to be a man. As long as it's among kids, a brawl should be excusable...
This would work well in our school system in Nigerian. But these UK school kids like the wolf pack mentality. You fight or disrespect one and he comes with his gang for you with knife? Otilo oh cry…. Thinking of enrolling my kids for kickboxing or judo classes but last last na God dey protect

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 7:52pm On Mar 16
wallg123:

This would work well in our school system in Nigerian. But these UK school kids like the wolf pack mentality. You fight or disrespect one and he comes with his gang for you with knife? Otilo oh cry…. Thinking of enrolling my kids for kickboxing or judo classes but last last na God dey protect

My fear too, I think I need to add judo classes to my kids' swimming classes now. Lol. But seriously, we need to build our kids' self confidence and pray for their safety. It is what it is.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by descarado: 7:55pm On Mar 16
Lexusgs430:

Sp they knew we contribute a lot.
Hmm.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:02pm On Mar 16
Lexusgs430:

I shall be there

I must be there no matter what. The rules aren't even up to 6 months old yet. I wonder what things will be like by September

grin cheesy

Earlier in March, more than 120 staff at Sheffield Hallam University were served with “risk of redundancy” letters, which gave them until 18 March to take voluntary redundancy or apply for “a limited number of roles”.
In February, the University of Kent proposed cutting 58 jobs along with nine courses in response to “financial challenges”.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:21pm On Mar 16
wallg123:

Would you ignore regular customers, when things are looking south........😀

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Resurgent2016: 8:27pm On Mar 16
Lexusgs430:

Nigerian currency collapse was also mentioned........
😂

Is this is a british way of reporting? Is it the collapse of the Nigerian currency that affected indian and chinese student enrollment also?

Same way they blame children missing classes for the recession.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 8:39pm On Mar 16
hustla:

I shall be there

I must be there no matter what. The rules aren't even up to 6 months old yet. I wonder what things will be like by September

grin cheesy

Earlier in March, more than 120 staff at Sheffield Hallam University were served with “risk of redundancy” letters, which gave them until 18 March to take voluntary redundancy or apply for “a limited number of roles”.
In February, the University of Kent proposed cutting 58 jobs along with nine courses in response to “financial challenges”.

Sometimes it's scary to think that UK economy actually depends this much on proceeds of immigration. Is there a problem with the UK? How sustainable is this delicate equilibrium going forward? I personally don't think a country can survive on immigration proceeds alone though, there has to be a balance. In the midst of this, a committee was set up to review PSW, is this not like Tinubu calling for FDI and still increasing cost bringing in expatriate workers in the same breath? Confusion everywhere

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:45pm On Mar 16
ehizario2012:

Sometimes it's scary to think that UK economy actually depends this much on proceeds of immigration. Is there a problem with the UK? How sustainable is this delicate equilibrium going forward? I personally don't think a country can survive on immigration proceeds alone though, there has to be a balance. In the midst of this, a committee was set up to review PSW, is this not like Tinubu calling for FDI and still increasing cost bringing in expatriate workers in the same breath? Confusion everywhere

The UK is like that fine, fresh boy/babe in secondary school who was the toast of everyone. He made small money from Yahoo, insulted his peers and even accused them of leeching off him and then voted to seperate from them

He then got older, refused to actually grow up, does not want to change with the times, has no job and is unwilling to get one... and then continues to brag about the good old days at school reunions when his mates have all gotten married and are well to-do ...

To make it even funnier, he is still very arrogant, racist, condescending and rude to those willing to help him ...all while still broke

grin

19 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adekzy: 9:14pm On Mar 16
Lexusgs430:

It seemed the fact that I was allowed to pay £20 to attend college + the realisation that the government paid me a grant to attend university + also gave me student loans....... 🤣

Was the final tipping point...... 🤣

Venting one's anger, is a form of therapy.... Some venom has been released..... It makes them lighter + recharge them, for another session (sometime in the future)....... 😜

If this makes them happy, I went back to university subsequently (paid full price) + never required [b]GoFundMe support..[/b]...... 😁

But that is after Baba is already established nah.... and the foundational support is already there for you to Enjoy grin cheesy and pay your tutition fully without GoFundMe compared to most Nigerian students that never had access to student loans/grants since the country was created in 1960.

Therefore, we can't overlook your headstart in the UK. tongue cheesy cheesy .... You be priviledge pikin and Mama Charly (RIP) feed you well enough grin cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:16pm On Mar 16
adekzy:

But that is after Baba is nowp already established nah.... and the foundational support is already there for you to Enjoy grin cheesy and pay your tutition fully without GFMe compare to most Nigerian students that never had access to student loan/grant since the country has been created in 1960.

Therefore, we can't overlook your headstart in the UK. tongue cheesy cheesy .... You be priviledge pikin and Mama Charly (RIP) feed you well enough grin cheesy

Also remember, my checking out like Andrew.... Was a calculated risk....... 😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:39pm On Mar 16
Lexusgs430:

Other industries have been going through rounds of voluntary and compulsory redundancies over the last year, slashing way more jobs than these universities are considering. Examples below.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.consultancy.uk/news/amp/35730/deloitte-to-slash-800-jobs-with-consulting-hit-hardest

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/07/pwc-defends-plans-to-cut-600-jobs-rather-than-bosses-pay

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/13/metro-bank-to-cut-1000-jobs-and-end-seven-day-branch-model

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/30/sky-cut-1000-jobs-customers-move-pay-tv-internet

We keep hearing about universities but the reality is that a lot of companies are struggling , and particularly those that over expanded in a post COVID boom are now adjusting to a slow down in demand. Universities are not unique in this and will have to downsize/become leaner same as other businesses.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:48pm On Mar 16
Zahra29:

We keep hearing about universities but the reality is that a lot of companies are struggling , and particularly those that over expanded in a post COVID boom are now adjusting to a slow down in demand. Universities are not unique in this and will have to downsize/become leaner same as other businesses.

You should consider a career in politics (not an insult o)

I have been waiting for your comment

grin

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:19pm On Mar 16
hustla:

You should consider a career in politics (not an insult o)

I have been waiting for your comment

grin

Lol, I already have a job as a UKVI agent/defender as an esteemed poster labelled me the other day grin

I see why foreign students may want to rejoice at the downturn in universities' finances and catastrophise that the whole economy is at risk of collapse because they banned dependants....however the facts are that many companies in other industries are having a harder time then universities - downsizing, freezing/reducing hiring, offshoring etc- and these are the same companies that foreign students would be seeking employment from when they graduate...

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:34pm On Mar 16
Zahra29:

Lol, I already have a job as a UKVI agent/defender as an esteemed poster labelled me the other day grin

I see why foreign students want to rejoice at the downturn in universities' finances and catastrophise that the whole economy is at risk of collapse because they banned dependants....however the facts are that many companies in other industries are having a harder time then universities - downsizing, freezing/reducing hiring, offshoring etc- and these are the same companies that foreign students would be seeking employment from when they graduate...

grin

I am not rejoicing at their downfall...the route was due for review along with the care worker one as it was massively abused

My own problem is how they talk down on students as if we came to scrounge without paying fees. They should tell the true story and mention how much students have also contributed to their economy

Its really offensive and downright foolish to me

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:41pm On Mar 16
Zahra29:

Other industries have been going through rounds of voluntary and compulsory redundancies over the last year, slashing way more jobs than these universities are considering. Examples below.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.consultancy.uk/news/amp/35730/deloitte-to-slash-800-jobs-with-consulting-hit-hardest

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/07/pwc-defends-plans-to-cut-600-jobs-rather-than-bosses-pay

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/13/metro-bank-to-cut-1000-jobs-and-end-seven-day-branch-model

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/30/sky-cut-1000-jobs-customers-move-pay-tv-internet

Universities have decided to stage a fightback and accuse the government........😁

I would point my accusing fingers at our political class and politicians, for failing to judiciously spend Nigerian's wealth appropriately.......

Imagine if Nigeria was like Dubai/Qatar/Saudi...... Let's just imagine that thought and relish in it .......😜

Las Las, we go all dey alright......🤔

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OgbeniOptional(m): 10:42pm On Mar 16
Just wondering what will happen to the dependents now and the two kids💔

ehizario2012:

This link did not open, but if it is about the death of one Dipo, it's one death too many. May God help us... After all the hustle, relocation, better life in view etc... to just drop dead like that is disheartening to say the least. May he RIP.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:46pm On Mar 16
hustla:

grin

I am not rejoicing at their downfall...the route was due for review along with the care worker one as it was massively abused

My own problem is how they talk down on students as if we came to scrounge without paying fees. They should tell the true story and mention how much students have also contributed to their economy

Its really offensive and downright foolish to me

I agree

Unfortunately negative news caused by the bad apples trends and distorts public sentiment
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:52pm On Mar 16
Lexusgs430:

Universities have decided to stage a fightback and accuse the government........😁

I would point my accusing fingers at our political class and politicians, for failing to judiciously spend Nigerian's wealth appropriately.......

Imagine if Nigeria was like Dubai/Qatar/Saudi...... Let's just imagine that thought and relish in it .......😜

Las Las, we go all dey alright......🤔

Pfft....many universities got too greedy and are as much to blame. Some were so lenient in their entry criteria and checks and only started crying out when students started switching to tier 2 as soon as they landed and leaving the universities out of pocket.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:57pm On Mar 16
Zahra29:

Pfft....many universities got too greedy and are as much to blame. Some were so lenient in their entry criteria and checks and only started crying out when students started switching to tier 2 as soon as they landed and leaving the universities out of pocket.

maneuvering is allowed...... Everyone would cut their grass, to where/how it suits them best ........😂😀

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) ... (553) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: headofschool, midasfx(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.