Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,433 members, 7,850,528 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:43 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (554) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (520323 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) (557) ... (579) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fatima04: 7:30pm On May 15
In addition to all the NHS discuss, they need to focus the energy used for Brexit to develop a system that works. I have heard Sajid taunt the Australia hybrid system which looks to be working for now, so everyone can access at least a level of care.

The current system is not sustainable and needs to be overhauled now rather than later.
In addition, an area the government need to work on is regulating the food sector because of obesity and increased cancer diagnosis in recent years which in turn increases the demand for sophisticated medicine and intervention.

In the 1970s, 1 in 25 people will have breast cancer in the UK and the most recent figure is 1 in 7 people. In Japan the figure, is 1 in 35 or thereabout, the things they are doing different is cutting processed foods, kids working to school with an employed chaperone from 5yrs.

I read some employers even go as far as scanning your body once you tap in, and the system will let you know the amount of fat and muscle mass you have. Also make it your KPI for the year if you need to loose weight (its radical but maybe thats what we need grin grin)

We simply cannot continue to live like this and then the yeye capitalist system will create expensive drugs like ozempic, wegovy etc that is essentially a temporary solution (with serious side effects ) to the problem of obesity created.

Sadly, I don't see Keir or Labour being the messiah to do that. He isn't that strong willed.

In as much as I don't like Rishi, I still like a lot of his hard stance in the Education sector and all. He just needs to level down and relate better with people

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adeolaspecial: 7:35pm On May 15
Viruses:

There are two 15hrs.
The first one is universal for 3yrs old and does not require you to apply. Just take the child to the nursery, the nursery will claim from the govt.
The other 15hrs (to make it 30hrs) has criteria such as immigration status and salary threshold to be qualified.

Oh...thanks for clarifying this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adeolaspecial: 7:39pm On May 15
hayesconcept:
It’s not open to everyone. If you have no recourse to public fund you are not qualified. Don’t apply for any code again and wait till your child clock three to enjoy the free 15hrs.

Sure will.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adeolaspecial: 7:39pm On May 15
Zahra29:

It's open to eligible working parents.
The same eligibility rules as before apply, which include immigration status and household earnings.

The 15hrs from 3 years old is universal and does not require an eligibility code.

This i have been made aware of.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 7:48pm On May 15
It is really hard to advise as I don't know the 2 organisations.

As Zahra29 said, most consulting firms are having issues now. A lot of them rely on contract in the public sector, which has been hugely impacted due to the incoming election.
However, as you are not a consultant, this might not really affect you.

If I were in your shoes, I would go to places like glassdoor to read reviews about the 2 organisations. I will also take into consideration the remuneration, benefits and working conditions.

How big is the other company? Any history of redundancy. How are the doing financially. Those are the questions you should be asking to help you make your decision.

hyzich:
Elders in the House, I hail thee!

Firstly, thanks for your earlier advice. I have reached out to the HR and we agreed to move resumption forward. I don come again with questions, please pardon me. The opinions I do get here with my personal research have always helped me to make some informed decisions.

This is my second year here in Uk and I really need candid advice especially from people in finance. Which sector is more preferable between Consulting and IT in terms of job security and career progressions in the UK ? I recently accepted an offer with a Consulting firm although I would be working with in-house finance team and just got another better offer with an IT company as a senior finance accountant which I also accepted with the intention to reach out to the former that I would not be able to resume again but while discussing with a close friend and wife , they both advised I stay with the consulting because of the job security. I really want to be stable and gain considerable years of experience in UK as I have always been a job hopper grin .

I am also very careful because I was in a Year FTC which I was already promised a renewal of contract when it was just 2 month to finish but later got a No when it’s 3 weeks to finish that there’s no enough budget and lotta finance transformation is on going.
I need more opinions as both roles are in London and align to my skill, experience and career aspirations. I do not want to make any mistake because Job market seems saturated. Thanks

Cc
Dupyshoo
Lexusgs430
Zahra29

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 7:56pm On May 15
I agree, most of these countries are same except the US, which comes with high probability of getting high salary. It however comes with its own issues too.

We have decided to just remain here and not stress ourselves with relocating. We will instead travel on holiday to different countries.

Ticha:

We have moved 3 times now through husbot's job. Once you settle and scratch the surface, all western countries are much or a muchness except the US in some respects.
Singapore and Hong Kong are in a different league (very high salaries, exceptionally high cost of living)
Even with a full relocation package, starting afresh each time was hard! It gets to a point and one justs stays and puts down roots.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:57pm On May 15
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 8:00pm On May 15
Didn't know you have to spend that much as a Doctor.
We didn't know of the school fees and health insurance until when we started researching. Once you start researching, you will realise that the grass is not always greener at the other side.
It can be exhausting emigrating again.

fatima04:

Add proximity and flight cost to Nigeria and European countries, if one still have family back home and keen on travelling.

Even from a Doctor perspective, most of what you have listed above applies and hence why we have suspended the idea (at least for now).
Although the NHS and GMC is making it really tough and difficult to practice here.

Like I always say it rains everywhere, one just need to choose your "hard" and stick to it.

To move to Australia as a Doctor, you will need minimum of 20k AUD for licence registration and then apply for visas (PR for a family of 4 ) for it to even be achieved and not to add relocation cost and hassle.
Secondly, one will need to practice in a DPA (Distribution Priority Area) for 10years which is updated frequently and largely away from the popular and bustling cities like sydney, Victoria etc. And the current locations are largely the Regional areas.

Being in such an area would likely mean lesser chance of finding a suitable job for the spouse coupled with childcare cost, travelling for work etc

If one moves without PR, you will have to pay for the kids school fees, health insurance etc and you will not be entitled to a lot of benefits just like the UK.

Imagine after all the wahala here in the UK, and for a second time, you will essentially take all of ones savings or more with the hope of a better life which may or may not be the situation.

Ofcourse canada is a good option where everyone is moving to as well, but all of those cons still exist with the dwindling job market and high cost of living.

Middle east is a good option that balances all out except for citizenship if one doesn't mind.

I have got people taking sabbatical with their employer in the UK to go test out waters over there.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 8:45pm On May 15
dupyshoo:
It is really hard to advise as I don't know the 2 organisations.

As Zahra29 said, most consulting firms are having issues now. A lot of them rely on contract in the public sector, which has been hugely impacted due to the incoming election.
However, as you are not a consultant, this might not really affect you.

If I were in your shoes, I would go to places like glassdoor to read reviews about the 2 organisations. I will also take into consideration the remuneration, benefits and working conditions.

How big is the other company? Any history of redundancy. How are the doing financially. Those are the questions you should be asking to help you make your decision.

Thanks for your input dupyshoo and Zahra29

Both coys are global entities and I have checked Glassdoor and indeed but seems the IT company has better ratings and what they offer is 5k over what the consulting firm offered. I think my indecision is because I have always loved to work in consulting firms.

I think it’s clearer now. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:45pm On May 15
dupyshoo:
We didn't know of the school fees and health insurance until when we started researching. Once you start researching, you will realise that the grass is not always greener at the other side.

💯
The UK is quite generous in comparison when you consider that education is free (from compulsory school age) and there is no health insurance and corresponding medical tests

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:48pm On May 15
hyzich:

Both coys are global entities and I have checked Glassdoor and indeed but seems the IT company has better ratings and what they offer is 5k over what the consulting firm offered. I think my indecision is because I have always loved to work in consulting firms.

Even if you went with the IT firm now, there is always the option to move into consulting down the line as they value industry experience. Many people switch back and forth between industry and consulting .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:49pm On May 15
Lexusgs430:
Even @74 years old, home office still denied him an ILR........

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/15/wirral-local-legend-refused-indefinite-leave-to-remain-by-home-office

Now that his case has been picked up by the Guardian, the HO will quietly backtrack and reconsider their decision cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 8:57pm On May 15
Good to hear that you are reaching the point of making a decision. You actually have a good problem.

Not to make it worse, 5k is not that much though, if that's what is in between the 2 coys.
What about other benefits? Future prospects? I will pray about it as well as I am a Christian.

Also, why do you like working with consulting firm? It can be a very tensed environment as it is usually all about bringing more businesses. You are not going to be a consultant, so you won't be impacted though.

I wish you all the best in making the right decision.

hyzich:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:58pm On May 15
fatima04:
In addition to all the NHS discuss, they need to focus the energy used for Brexit to develop a system that works. I have heard Sajid taunt the Australia hybrid system which looks to be working for now, so everyone can access at least a level of care.

The current system is not sustainable and needs to be overhauled now rather than later.
In addition, an area the government need to work on is regulating the food sector because of obesity and increased cancer diagnosis in recent years which in turn increases the demand for sophisticated medicine and intervention.

In the 1970s, 1 in 25 people will have breast cancer in the UK and the most recent figure is 1 in 7 people. In Japan the figure, is 1 in 35 or thereabout, the things they are doing different is cutting processed foods, kids working to school with an employed chaperone from 5yrs.

I read some employers even go as far as scanning your body once you tap in, and the system will let you know the amount of fat and muscle mass you have. Also make it your KPI for the year if you need to loose weight (its radical but maybe thats what we need grin grin)

We simply cannot continue to live like this and then the yeye capitalist system will create expensive drugs like ozempic, wegovy etc that is essentially a temporary solution (with serious side effects ) to the problem of obesity created.

Sadly, I don't see Keir or Labour being the messiah to do that. He isn't that strong willed.

In as much as I don't like Rishi, I still like a lot of his hard stance in the Education sector and all. He just needs to level down and relate better with people

Lol at the system in Japan, but definitely food for thought (pardon the pun 🙈)...the Japanese culture as a whole is more disciplined (and respectful) than here.

I agree that the Tories have a more reasonable stance when it comes to education and gender issues (compared to Labour who I fear will pander to every far left ideology). If only we could blend the 2 main parties together....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 9:20pm On May 15
dupyshoo:
Good to hear that you are reaching the point of making a decision. You actually have a good problem.

Not to make it worse, 5k is not that much though, if that's what is in between the 2 coys.
What about other benefits? Future prospects? I will pray about it as well as I am a Christian.

Also, why do you like working with consulting firm? It can be a very tensed environment as it is usually all about bringing more businesses. You are not going to be a consultant, so you won't be impacted though.

I wish you all the best in making the right decision.

The 5k difference is not much and I didn’t include it as basis for decision. Both have almost the same benefits including private medical but the IT company trumps in other areas. Regarding your question about why I like consulting, well, My love for consulting firms have been since university days but was unlucky to get in after uni and their name on CV ain’t bad as well. I would also pray over it as suggested. Thanks for the advice
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fatima04: 10:06pm On May 15
dupyshoo:
I agree, most of these countries are same except the US, which comes with high probability of getting high salary. It however comes with its own issues too.

We have decided to just remain here and not stress ourselves with relocating. We will instead travel on holiday to different countries.

Even this US sef, I dont trust the data joor. I know people say high salary, low taxes etc. but it also depends on the sector and you can be laid off with nothing to fall back on.
Just the other day, i googled and saw that min wage in houston was 7.52 dollar/hr, my friend there said it doesnt matter jare but then whats is the metric for measuring the living standrad if we dont start with min wage. I now get why tipping culture is a big thing, because how person wan take survive on that.

Also same houston or texas generally have cheaper houses but high property tax that run through the tenure of your mortgage
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fatima04: 10:09pm On May 15
dupyshoo:

Na so we too discovered during research. All we hear is there is money down under grin grin but what is underneath the money we dont know. Its even the 10yrs by force that one has to live in the regional areas. Some of them can be very very rural and rough oo (check out alice springs on youtube 😄).

Emigrating is costly and largely favours the government. Make we enjoy UK first before japa 2.0 is activated grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fatima04: 10:22pm On May 15
Zahra29:

💯
The UK is quite generous in comparison when you consider that education is free (from compulsory school age) and there is no health insurance and corresponding medical tests

This is largely the issue, so many sectors are stretched thin because of the increase in demand in different socio-economic issues. For example, a lot of councils are struggling with placing kids and providing enough support for kids with EHCP and behavioural diagnosis, and this is increasing by day.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fatima04: 10:24pm On May 15
Lexusgs430:
Even @74 years old, home office still denied him an ILR........

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/15/wirral-local-legend-refused-indefinite-leave-to-remain-by-home-office

The article has been removed oo. Just imagine denying the poor man at that age
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fatima04: 10:45pm On May 15
Zahra29:

Lol at the system in Japan, but definitely food for thought (pardon the pun 🙈).. .the Japanese culture as a whole is more disciplined (and respectful) than here.

I agree that the Tories have a more reasonable stance when it comes to education and gender issues (compared to Labour who I fear will pander to every far left ideology). If only we could blend the 2 main parties together....

Lol because we like freedom of speech and food angry grin. We honestly need a hard stance on so many things but no one wants to be named the government that did a radical thing except it is aimed at Migrants.
Perhaps reform party will be better, but they are all the same at the end of the day.

You have voiced my major concern about this labour party, I liken them to US Democrats

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 11:47pm On May 15
adeolaspecial:
Good morning everyone. I got a message from my friend that the 15hours free childcare is now opened and that we can apply. I tried to get the code while applying, but it says i am not eligible as i have no recourse to public fund. I thought this was supposed to be free to all working parents. Or is there a way to go about it.

Don't stress yourself, you don't need any code to access universal childcare, provided your child is over 3yrs. Reachout to your child's nursery. They ought to get across to you if your child is of age.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:10am On May 16
fatima04:

Even this US sef, I dont trust the data joor. I know people say high salary, low taxes etc. but it also depends on the sector and you can be laid off with nothing to fall back on.
Just the other day, i googled and saw that min wage in houston was 7.52 dollar/hr, my friend there said it doesnt matter jare but then whats is the metric for measuring the living standrad if we dont start with min wage. I now get why tipping culture is a big thing, because how person wan take survive on that.

Also same houston or texas generally have cheaper houses but high property tax that run through the tenure of your mortgage

You've hit the nail on the property taxes which many home owners are currently struggling with, as the taxes can go up quite dramatically as the value of the property increases (which is obviously the goal of a homeowner), making many homeowners rich on paper (equity wise) but cash poor.

When you also factor in federal taxes and then state taxes which can run quite high in some states like California, and then health insurance on top....I'm not sure why people think that the US has much lower taxes than the UK.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:17am On May 16
fatima04:

This is largely the issue, so many sectors are stretched thin because of the increase in demand in different socio-economic issues. For example, a lot of councils are struggling with placing kids and providing enough support for kids with EHCP and behavioural diagnosis, and this is increasing by day.

Yes the SEND sector is in dire need of funding, it's so sad to see children and their parents struggling to get the support they need.

Schools in general are struggling, even with the 6k per pupil funding from the government, it's just not enough. We should consider an Australian style approach to ease the funding pressures, and provide support for areas like SEN education.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:25am On May 16
fatima04:

Lol because we like freedom of speech and food angry grin. We honestly need a hard stance on so many things but no one wants to be named the government that did a radical thing except it is aimed at Migrants.
Perhaps reform party will be better, but they are all the same at the end of the day.

You have voiced my major concern about this labour party, I[b] liken them to US Democrats [/b]

💯

Republican policies are typically more rational and more aligned with the US's conservative/moral background, but they get a bad rap for not having a compassionate front (and leaders like Trump don't help the brand much) but I daresay behind the personality (and I'm not a fan of his), perhaps his policies are better for America's interests in the long run.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 4:27am On May 16
fatima04:

I may be wrong but I think we consume a lot of GMO food in uk. Strawberry 🍓 rottens in 2 days even when it is refrigerated.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 5:14am On May 16
fatima04:

You have voiced my major concern about this labour party, I liken them to US Democrats

This.

But hard stance will get you cancelled.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by directonpc(m): 7:56am On May 16
Zahra29:

Well said.

There was a high likelihood of the PSW route being retained for various reasons (although the govt might still seek to amend it in some way). It was the high number of dependants and the abuse of the student visa route that were highlighted as the main issues.
What is wrong with someone who applied to school in the UK, and can afford the fee bringing their immediate family for the duration of their stay in the UK?

I remember as a child, my entire family had to move to a new town within Nigeria so that my mother could further her education. I know this is slightly different when the movement is across countries, but in this second case, its even more important to allow people bring their dependants.

It will be interesting to know what the abuse is and why its only allowing people to come to the UK without their family that is the solution.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:39am On May 16
directonpc:

What is wrong with someone who applied to school in the UK, and can afford the fee bringing their immediate family for the duration of their stay in the UK?

I remember as a child, my entire family had to move to a new town within Nigeria so that my mother could further her education. I know this is slightly different when the movement is across countries, but in this second case, its even more important to allow people bring their dependants.

It will be interesting to know what the abuse is and why its only allowing people to come to the UK without their family that is the solution.

I've copied a comment from ReesheesuKnack which explains what some of the abuse was:

Guy, PSW was NEVER massively abused.
What was massively abused WAS the Tier-4 Student Visa. Where folks pay £2,000 deposit. Use fictitious PoF, get into the UK, then abandon their studies. Use the ‘balance’ of the school fees to BUY Health & Care (Carer route) visas.

Add to that the sham marriages to bring in fake spouses who have paid the MA to come in on their visa, and then they go their separate ways until it's time for visa renewal. Or where the arrangement is that the dependant assists with the school fees in return for the UK visa. Some then got to the UK, found a better arrangement/partner/care visa and reneged on the original arrangement. Not just with Nigerians, Bangladeshis and others were doing this as well.

Other examples abound of the abuse of the tier 4 visa route and why it's been clamped down.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:06am On May 16
Talking about treatments received through the NHS...... Would this lady think the NHS is about to collapse.......😁

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ticha: 9:21am On May 16
fatima04:

Husbot was offered a transfer to
Washington DC August last year. His offered wage was very good. I would have had to start at $65k as a secondary school teacher! Even the non teaching but education roles were around $55k to $70k.
Taxes weren't lower over all because we'd pay federal and state taxes then tax on groceries as well. Then you pay property taxes every year which is $0.85 per $100. Majority of houses in nice areas and walking or biking distance of schools are around the $900k mark. Omo, we just carry ourselves come back joor 😅🤣

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ticha: 9:29am On May 16
fatima04:

Na so we too discovered during research. All we hear is there is money down under grin grin but what is underneath the money we dont know. Its even the 10yrs by force that one has to live in the regional areas. Some of them can be very very rural and rough oo (check out alice springs on youtube 😄).

Emigrating is costly and largely favours the government. Make we enjoy UK first before japa 2.0 is activated grin

Walahi Alice Springs was exactly like Otupko! Plus the Aboriginals are treated so so poorly that sometimes we (dudu people) also get mistaken for them and treated shabbily as well.

Uluru was awesome sha. We hired a camper van from Alice Springs and drove there and back.

Even Melbourne and Brisbane have huge swathes of run down areas that you won't want to find yourself in at any time.

I went to Ipswich just outside Brisbane and wanted to run home and have a shower 😅. I just couldn't shake the feeling of a lack of personal safety.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 10:19am On May 16
directonpc:

Are you pretending not to know that the student route was abused?

What are the main criteria for a UK student visa?

1) You should have an accepted offer from an eligible institution and hold a CAS (30 points).
2) You should have sufficient funding to cover your tuition and living expenses (10 points).
The majority of people simply did not meet the second criterion and used fraudulent means to obtain it. That is abuse.

If we cut the number of students who use fraudulent POF, or those who sold and bought COS, the number of immigrants will drop drastically, and the UK government would not even need to curtail the visa regulations in the first place. According to data from home office, Nigerians has the highest number of students dependents, if you can answer honestly what percentage of those Nigerian students with dependents have complete fund to cover the tuition and living expenses without using fraudulent POF ?
How else do you define an abuse?

Let's not always try to shy away from the truth. The whole new visa regulations are because a particular set of people (mostly Indians and subcontinentals, Nigerians, and Zimbabweans) are using fraudulent means to obtain the visa, which increases the number to an unsustainable level. And the government have to respond, which is the duty of any government.

How they respond is now a different thing altogether.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) (557) ... (579) (Reply)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Thread for South Korea prospective students

Viewing this topic: Wegetju, Goodenoch and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.