Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,464 members, 7,770,148 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:53 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (530930 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:41pm On Feb 05, 2012
Share your surviving tips here. . .

-How did you get your part-time job . .

-Cheap student accommodation . .

-How do you call home cheaply . .

Ask your questions here and if there is something missing on the list then suggest and it will be added.

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by imperiouxx(m): 7:00pm On Feb 05, 2012
I appreciate things like this mehn. Thumb up pal.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:11pm On Feb 05, 2012
imperiouxx:

I appreciate things like this mehn. Thumb up pal.

No worries bro
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 9:51pm On Feb 05, 2012
dis is a nice 1.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 9:54pm On Feb 05, 2012
Which accomodation plan is better 4 new students coming in to canada 4 de first tym? I mean cheaper ones.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mxxpunkxx: 12:32am On Feb 06, 2012
@OP

can i post in future tenses? cool cool cool cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 5:41pm On Feb 07, 2012
Paschal137:

Which accomodation plan is better 4 new students coming in to canada 4 de first tym? I mean cheaper ones.

The cheapest would be to rent something close to the campus and sharing with other students.
But make sure you know how to cook, else, you will spend all you saving on eating out . . . or find a nice babe that will be coooking for you, but be careful, else, you will take a baby home with your certificate . . . If you are married, the advice is not applicable to you oh

87 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 8:13pm On Feb 07, 2012
grin Thanks bro.Am still single o! As 4 food,i can cook wella

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 9:18pm On Feb 07, 2012
Paschal137:

grin Thanks bro.Am still single o! As 4 food,i can cook wella

Then you have no problem then oh . . . If you live in an hostel at school, it is not cheap at all, though comes with some advantages . . . But when you leave outside of the campus, say sharing like a 3 B/D Apartment and sharing kitchen and washrooms, you might be able to get something almost half what you paying within campus.
Feeding is cheaper too when you do the cooking yourself . . . . But not if you wanna be eating Eba, Fufu and Akpu oh, cos those aint cheap and you dont wanna be making the house stinks with Ogbono . . . lol

23 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 9:33pm On Feb 07, 2012
Wats ur take on homestay program?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 9:35pm On Feb 07, 2012
Paschal137:

Wats ur take on homestay program?

It is an individuality thing . . . i know people that ave done it and are doing well, and i know people that have tried it but never finished, you have to be really discipline to do it
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 10:07pm On Feb 07, 2012
Hmmmm,I see. But is it cheaper 2 go 4 homestay? Wat r de advantages of stayin in a school hostel?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 10:59pm On Feb 07, 2012
Homestay is generally more expensive than campus or off-campus housing because the host family will typically cook for you, etc. However, you could decide to take advantage of that when you first arrive while you look for a place of your own, because you will at least have a gauranteed place to stay once you arrive.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 11:08pm On Feb 07, 2012
Re Justwise's questions:
-How did you get your part-time job . .

Connect with the international student office at your school about getting a visa to allow you work off campus, and about how to know about jobs on campus. I don't think this applies to private colleges, though.

Summer jobs start getting posted early in the year.

Check websites like kijiji, craigs's lists, etc for job postings, or news papers, or flyers around campus.

Schools may also have postings on their website for on-campus jobs

Some schools may also have a part time/temporary work office for temporary on-campus jobs

-Cheap student accommodation . .

Flyers around campus typically advertise rooms available

Some schools may have a housing website that offers info about off campus housing

Ask other students. Students are always looking for places to stay.

-How do you call home cheaply

International calling cards are available at a number of places- grocery stores, gas stations, convenience stores, etc. Just ask around. Canadians are friendly and wll help you out!

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 1:23am On Feb 08, 2012
^^^ Beautifully listed . . . . .

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:52am On Feb 08, 2012
@ifegy

Good job
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 8:58am On Feb 08, 2012
Thanks bro.I think it will be better to do homestay 4 1 month,after dat,i can now get a cheaper place 4 my self.I will use dat first month to look around 4 better options.Wat do u tink?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Otuabaroku: 9:52am On Feb 08, 2012
Just being curious, why is it that master degree in Canada and Netherland always take approximately 2 years while that of UK take one year; is there any reason for this ,house?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 7:37pm On Feb 08, 2012
Posted by: Paschal137
Thanks bro.I think it will be better to do homestay 4 1 month,after dat,i can now get a cheaper place 4 my self.I will use dat first month to look around 4 better options.Wat do u tink?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 7:38pm On Feb 08, 2012
@Fhemmy, Justwise, thanks; anytime
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 7:53pm On Feb 08, 2012
@ifegy,Thanks bro!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 12:27am On Feb 09, 2012
@Paschal137, no worries.
By the way, it's sis, lol,

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jamebex(m): 9:26am On Feb 09, 2012
1. Please how can one manage or survive on a monthly budget of $100 a month in british columbia? Feeding only.
2. The school i intend applying to states on their website that all graduate students are guaranteed graduate stipend wihch covers both tuition and cost of living. Do i still need a sponsor with this? If it will help i do be applying for Msc Biochemistry.
3. I will going for my NYSC by Nov this year or Jan next year and i want to leave immidiatly after my service. When is the best time for me to take my GRE an also apply to the school.
Thanks in anticipation.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 10:06am On Feb 09, 2012
@ifegy,Hahahahahaha grin Thanks ma big sis!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Otuabaroku: 12:56pm On Feb 09, 2012
Why are you guys ignoring my question grin?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:48pm On Feb 09, 2012
Otuabaroku:

Just being curious, why is it that master degree in Canada and Netherland always take approximately 2 years while that of UK take one year; is there any reason for this ,house?

I am not too sure, but my stab at it would be that, Nigeria is really operating the England kinda education, while you will have to take more preparation courses in Canada . . . By the way, you could do more to finish your Masters in less than 2 years with hard work if you so desire.
[center]or[/center]
Maybe Canada is better than UK . . . tongue

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 2:57pm On Feb 09, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I am not too sure, but my stab at it would be that, Nigeria is really operating the England kinda education, while you will have to take more preparation courses in Canada . . . By the way, you could do more to finish your Masters in less than 2 years with hard work if you so desire.
[center]or[/center]
Maybe Canada is better than UK . . . tongue

Masters degree in the UK is intensive program, nothing like Nigerian system, degree is 3yrs while its 4 in Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jamebex(m): 3:50pm On Feb 09, 2012
jamebex:

1. Please how can one manage or survive on a monthly budget of $100 a month in british columbia? Feeding only.
2. The school i intend applying to states on their website that all graduate students are guaranteed graduate stipend wihch covers both tuition and cost of living. Do i still need a sponsor with this? If it will help i do be applying for Msc Biochemistry.
3. I will going for my NYSC by Nov this year or Jan next year and i want to leave immidiatly after my service. When is the best time for me to take my GRE an also apply to the school.
Thanks in anticipation.
response please!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 6:13pm On Feb 09, 2012
Well, with regards to feeding, I live in another province, but the general rule is that it's cheaper to cook for yourself than to buy prepared food. Also, if you are going to be out during the day, for instance, attending classes, you'll save a lot of money if you make your own lunches (eg a sandwich and some fruit) instead of buying food from campus outlets.

If your school is offering your accommodation, I would suggest checking with them as to whether there are cooking facilities included.
If not, I would suggest asking if you can live elsewhere (ie somewhere of your choice, where you might have access to a kitchen).

Assuming you are able to cook for yourself, note that African food is more expensive here, so you should be open to trying new stuff. I would suggest avoiding convenience stores, as they are also expensive (you pay for the 'convenience' factor). I would suggest cooking for a week or couple of weeks and storing in a fridge.

It might be tough to stretch a $100 for a month, as I think the cost of living is higher in BC compared to other provinces. But you can always try.

For your grocery shopping, there are different types of grocery chains, from premium to less expensive. In my province, for instance, No Frills is a less expensive grocery chain, and they are also in British Columbia (BC). Some locations here are dingy, but some are surprisingly good and well stocked. You can get the same products as at a premium store for much less. There may be other similar, less expensive chains in BC. You can ask around. One thing to note is that the store brand for a product is almost always less expensive than the brand. So if there are several types of, say, olive oil, on a shelf in a no frills, I would suggest look for the no frills brand and compare the price to others on the shelf.

19 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 6:15pm On Feb 09, 2012
@jamebex, for the other questions you had, you might want to try the travel to Canada thread in the travel section, as there is a lot of schooling advice there. All the best.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 7:22pm On Feb 09, 2012
justwise:

Masters degree in the UK is intensive program, nothing like Nigerian system, degree is 3yrs while its 4 in Nigeria.

You mean degree in UK is always 3 years regardless of the program? . . . Please say No

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mimi234: 8:10pm On Feb 09, 2012
Typically an undergraduate degree in the UK are 3 years (with the exception of Medicine and Architecture), however you can do 4 year degree where the extra year is a study abroad option or work experience this usually is your third year then you come back to complete your degree in your 4th year.

However not all universities offer the 4 years degree and not all courses have this 4 year degree as an option got to do your research however the norm in the UK is 3 years for bachelors degree.

2 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (84) (Reply)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.