Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,959 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case (20887 Views)

Shoemaker In Serious Trouble For Wearing Customer's Shoe / Physically Challenged Lawyer Gets A Car From Ubani Foundation, Lawyers / How ‘do You Know Who I Am?’ Got An Army Officer And His Wife In Trouble In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by funshint(m): 2:09pm On May 28, 2023
Awon Obedient lawyers grin
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by frankblinkz(m): 2:10pm On May 28, 2023
TheNobleProphet:
I heard the owner of this App is into sodomy with his fellow male gender!

Extremely appalling and disgusting!

very disgusting,I detest them to the core

1 Like

Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by Acidosis(m): 2:11pm On May 28, 2023
kelvine:
He should have used spin bot to rephrase.
Even google will know and flag your content with plagiarism if you directly use chatgpt.
The rational use is to get ideas and spin it in your favour.

False. First, Google is not a plagiarism checker. Another thing is that the most powerful plagiarism checkers like Turnitin and Grammarly will not flag ChatGBT contents. However, most organisations and institutions now use AI detectors. With AI detectors, they'll know the actual source of your contents, whether it is written by human or AI.

Nigerian institutions are still far behind though. Only a few private unis (Covenant, Baze) care about these things. You can literally use ChatGBT to get a first class from a public school in Nigeria if you know your way around these stuff.

I have used it to solve a complex management accounting task..but I hope some students won't be f00lish enough to dub the contents. My advice is do not use these things if you study abroad unless you have a spare school fees somewhere.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by Ynix(m): 2:14pm On May 28, 2023
Upworkwriter007:
Ynix. No, ChatGPT brings a lot of false information and fake references. No matter how you prompt it.
Yes but with right prompting that can be averted. Many use it without using right combination of words and parameters that will make it give right references
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by folake4u(f): 2:15pm On May 28, 2023
Acidosis:

False. First, Google is not a plagiarism checker. Another thing is that the most powerful plagiarism checkers like Turnitin and Grammarly will not flag ChatGBT contents. However, most organisations and institutions now use AI detectors. With AI detectors, they'll know the actual source of your contents, whether it is written by human or AI.

Nigerian institutions are still far behind though. Only a few private unis (Covenant, Baze) care about these things. You can literally use ChatGBT to get a first class from a public school in Nigeria if you know your way around these stuff.

I have used it to solve a complex management accounting task..but I hope some students won't be f00lish enough to dub the contents. My advice is do not use these things if you study abroad unless you have a spare school fees somewhere.

Gbam!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by Jef4u: 2:17pm On May 28, 2023
Lifestone:
Chatgpt is a very dangerous AI tool that you must never use to solicit for any form of advise or suggestion. It will give you believable fake answer like the case of this lawyer.
In my own experience, I was doing a research paper and sort inputs from Chatgpt for my literature reviews and requested for sources and references using Apa 6 format. Chatgpt supplied various copiously believable references which turned out to be non-existent when I did a crosscheck on Google Scholar. I have to abandon those references and got it done from other sources.
Be careful.

This very tool nearly put me in trouble by giving me fake list of items with prices but God help me that I just said let me check for the price of one of the items on amazon after noticing that it was somehow low. As i checked I realized that most of the details of the items including their numbers/specifications and prices are fake. I shapely deleted the work that I sent through WhatsApp and now I am redoing the work manually.

2 Likes

Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by VTJN(m): 2:21pm On May 28, 2023
SLOVFO:
cheesy

ChatGPT na something else. I use it to write my essays and even letters. And it delivers.
interesting

How did you go about it without having flaws? Please share your experience
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by SLOVFO(m): 2:21pm On May 28, 2023
Lifestone:
Chatgpt is a very dangerous AI tool that you must never use to solicit for any form of advise or suggestion. It will give you believable fake answer like the case of this lawyer.
In my own experience, I was doing a research paper and sort inputs from Chatgpt for my literature reviews and requested for sources and references using Apa 6 format. Chatgpt supplied various copiously believable references which turned out to be non-existent when I did a crosscheck on Google Scholar. I have to abandon those references and got it done from other sources.
Be careful.
cheesy
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by Georgejeez: 2:22pm On May 28, 2023
I remember way back in University , when we crammed cases into the exam hall only to discover we couldn't remember any ,,,,, grin grin grin na to begin concort and formulate unknown cases , fictitious parties , lie lie facts and wayo holdings of the court to buttress our points .

Once the lecturer de too lazy to research , na so we go de bang A's and B's ..
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by SLOVFO(m): 2:29pm On May 28, 2023
VTJN:
interesting

How did you go about it without having flaws? Please share your experience

The secrets are having an idea , a framework or an outline of what you want and giving it the right prompts. When it deviates from what you want, you simply rephrase your question.
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by wizkidblogger(f): 3:03pm On May 28, 2023
sulaimon22:

Read the article again. ChatGpt referenced a case that never happened and the lawyer used it in court.

most people don't read. they just check headline and post their comment.
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by Greenscientist: 3:03pm On May 28, 2023
kelvine:
Even google will know and flag your content with plagiarism if you directly use chatgpt.

It is not a matter of spin, the generated message is not correct.
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by AfonjaPriest: 3:08pm On May 28, 2023
I have used ChatGPT severally and I can tell you that it only showed me some things I couldn't see quickly. It is a good advisory tool and can only work well for you if your brain works well for you.

2 Likes

Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by Mitsurugi(m): 3:13pm On May 28, 2023
DenreleDave:
it emerged that the research had not been prepared by Peter LoDuca, the lawyer for the plaintiff, but by a colleague of his at the same law firm. Steven A Schwartz, who has been an attorney for more than 30 years, used ChatGPT to look for similar previous cases.

grin grin cheesy

The name and the case reminds me of the Nigerian fraud of a drunkard that lost his manhood.... His gullible supporters keep using chat gpt to interprete the constitution of FCt to us....

Like Peter LoDuca like obituary giringories grin grin

It's obvious you desperately want to suck PO's dick.
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by DenreleDave(m): 3:14pm On May 28, 2023
Mitsurugi:

It's obvious you desperately want to suck PO's dick.
I don't do failures
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by Mitsurugi(m): 3:18pm On May 28, 2023
DenreleDave:
I don't do failures

Then why is he on your mind on a topic that has nothing to do with him? It's ridiculous yo. Let it go for your mental health.
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by decatalyst(m): 3:28pm On May 28, 2023
kelvine:

Read well nah!

Plagiarism isn't the case here. The AI sh!t referenced cases that does not exist. In order words, AI lied in order to look smart🤣🤣🤣
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by dappydozzy(m): 3:31pm On May 28, 2023
Kingjite1:
Using AI is going to make the next generation, less intelligent

AI cant make you less intelligent, if you know how to use it, AI boost work output and productivity, it is those who rely totally on it, that will become less intelligent and get their fingers burnt. For example, A.I reduces software development by half during software development, it helps me in my blockchain coding
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by Kobicove(m): 3:46pm On May 28, 2023
This is one of the downsides of using AI undecided
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by AlexKoh: 4:05pm On May 28, 2023
I think that in this case the prosecutor and the judge will also use the GPT.

1 Like

Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by BarrElChapo(m): 4:18pm On May 28, 2023
joeeee240:

?

I was making a joke about the person, you quoted not understand the post.
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by MrWondah(m): 4:19pm On May 28, 2023
Kingjite1:
Using AI is going to make the next generation, less intelligent
Wrong, AI (ChatGPT and Bard), have helped me as a software engineer quickly solve and understand complex programming problems that could have taken me days. That doesn’t mean I’m less intelligent.
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by Beatricev: 4:31pm On May 28, 2023
kelvine:

Did you read the post at all? It's not about rephrasing the research and the cases that were cited.
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by Blueace247(f): 4:33pm On May 28, 2023
From experience chat gpt can make references, cite.. But you need to check mate the references...
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by saajus: 4:37pm On May 28, 2023
In this case, it may be false information or security on the internet. Somebody might have put those wrong cases on the internet. A hacker may even put the wrong case information on the legal website where their lawyers get case data. That's why I think we need to find means to control fake information and secure our internet better before we allow AI to take over.

About mistakes you talk about. Even if nobody put in the wrong information on the internet, there would always be mistakes in any technology. Have human beings never given wrong prescriptions before? Have human beings never performed wrong surgery procedures before? Without AI, Nurses and Doctors are losing their licenses. Advanced nations that we think should be almost perfect record tons of wrong procedures annually. Humans are far from perfect, but you expect the machines they created to be 100%. AI even makes fewer mistakes than humans. You know why? if a robot is operating on you, it's like 1 million Doctors operating on you cos they program it with data from millions of Doctors. So, every decision it's making at a time would be better than the decisions of just 4 or 6 Doctors in a surgery room would be making.

I don't believe we should make AI replace us, but complement us. If we are not careful or regulate it, it may even replace us in tons of areas.

Akwamkpuruamu:
You see one thing, the human brain can't be compared to all these AIs. But fools will think it's a copy and paste stuff. Na so a doctor go follow AI give drugs and surgery procedures to a client and the person will kick the baf and he will lose his licence.

AIs are assistant to your brain
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by Love800(m): 4:55pm On May 28, 2023
Pls i have a question

Wat is AI?

Nd wat is ChatGpt?
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by charlsecy(m): 5:12pm On May 28, 2023
kelvine:
So re-phrasing would put the cited non-existent legal cases into existence?

1 Like

Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by XAUBulls: 5:21pm On May 28, 2023
MindHacker9009:

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65735769
The AI tool spewed out references of legal cases that didn't exist. Lol. grin

This is what is called "hallucinations."

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by XAUBulls: 5:21pm On May 28, 2023
kelvine:
The inventors of this AI tool have already given a caveat that there will be occasional errors in the feedback from the chat bot so this is not surprising. This wrong legal case references stated in the article is one of such.

The chat bot's database of information was updated last as of 2021, and it also will NOT give up to date or realtime information as of 2023.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by Danielomisco(m): 5:40pm On May 28, 2023
kelvine:
how can spin bot be used pls
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by samuelson06(m): 5:47pm On May 28, 2023
kelvine:

What spin bot do you recommend, please?
Re: ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case by kelvine(m): 8:19pm On May 28, 2023
spinbot dot com

Thank me later.
Send PM for details

samuelson06:

What spin bot do you recommend, please?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can I Tell My Boss To Stop Spamming My Phone? / Rashidat Adeola, Nigerian Lady Mechanic: What A Man Can Do, A Woman Can Do / Why Cyber Security Is The Best Career Path In Tech.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.