Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,453 members, 7,812,392 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 (39772 Views)

Professor Wole Soyinka Published A Book Titled "Baiting Igbophobia" / Prof Sophie Oluwole Dies At 83 / Foremost African Philosopher, Prof Sophie Oluwole, Dies At 83 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by fergie001: 12:27pm On May 31, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDIXLZaC7ws
The Family of PROFESSOR AMA ATA AIDOO with deep sorrow but in the hope of the resurrection, informs the general public that our beloved relative and writer passed away in the early hours of this morning Wednesday 31st May 2023, after a short illness.

Joy 99.7 FM Ghana

Christina Ama Ata Aidoo was born on 23 March 1940 in Abeadzi Kyiakor, near Saltpond, in the Central Region of Ghana.

Aidoo was raised in a Fante royal household, the daughter of Nana Yaw Fama, chief of Abeadzi Kyiakor, and Maame Abasema.[9] She grew up at a time of resurgent British neocolonialism that was taking place in her homeland. Her grandfather was murdered by neocolonialists, which brought her father's attention to the importance of educating the children and families of the village on the history and events of the era. This led him to open up the first school in their village and influenced Aidoo to attend Wesley Girls' High School, where she first decided she wanted to be a writer.

Aidoo attended Wesley Girls' Senior High School in Cape Coast, from 1961 to 1964. After high school, she enrolled at the University of Ghana, Legon, where she obtained the degree of Bachelor of Arts in English and also wrote her first play, The Dilemma of a Ghost, in 1964. The play was published by Longman the following year, making Aidoo the first published African woman dramatist.

After graduating, Aidoo held a fellowship in creative writing at Stanford University in California, before returning to Ghana in 1969 to teach English at the University of Ghana. She served as a research fellow at the Institute of African Studies there, and as a lecturer in English at the University of Cape Coast, where she eventually rose to the position of Professor.

Aidoo was appointed Minister of Education under the Provisional National Defence Council in 1982. She resigned after 18 months, realising that she would be unable to achieve her aim of making education in Ghana freely accessible to all.

Her first novel, Our Sister Killjoy, was published in 1977 and is notable for portraying a dissenting perspective on sexuality in Africa and especially LGBT.

Her novel Changes won the 1992 Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best Book (Africa).

She is also an accomplished poet—her collection Someone Talking to Sometime won the Nelson Mandela Prize for Poetry in 1987.

In 2000, Aidoo founded the Mbaasem Foundation, a non-governmental organization based in Ghana with a mission "to support the development and sustainability of African women writers and their artistic output", which she runs together with her daughter Kinna Likimani and a board of management.

© Wikipedia

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by MrAmbrose(m): 12:28pm On May 31, 2023
R.I.P great woman!

43 Likes

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by fergie001: 12:30pm On May 31, 2023
Aidoo speaks on feminism during an interview with BBC Hardtalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_gJwy9yjrk

Pix: Ama Aidoo with Noviolet Bulawayo at Freedom Park in Lagos (Feb 2014)

Aidoo & Lola Shoneyin...

2 Likes

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by harryboyng(m): 12:34pm On May 31, 2023
R.I.P. ma’am

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by tobenuel(m): 12:35pm On May 31, 2023
Rip ma, I read her novel then in sch when my head wasn't messed up

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Vixlot: 12:35pm On May 31, 2023
What a legend

1 Like

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Ara21(f): 12:35pm On May 31, 2023
RIP ma

1 Like

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Hamachi(f): 12:35pm On May 31, 2023
Ama Ata Aidoo (23 March 1942 – 31 May 2023) was a Ghanaian author, poet, playwright and academic. With a career spanning more than five decades, she received international recognition as one of the most prominent African writers of the 20th and 21st centuries.

Her first play, The Dilemma of a Ghost, was published in 1965, making Aidoo the first published African woman dramatist.

As a novelist, she won the Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Changes (1991), she was the Minister of Education in Ghana under the Jerry Rawlings administration. In 2000, she established the Mbaasem Foundation to promote and support the work of African women writers.
She also lived and taught in the United States, Europe and Zimbabwe.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by SALLYBERRY01(m): 12:36pm On May 31, 2023
Rest in peace
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by iwaeda: 12:36pm On May 31, 2023
fergie001:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDIXLZaC7ws

Joy 99.7 FM Ghana

© Wikipedia
Deep sorrow at 83, for my village, eba, fish and wine will flow. grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by brimdans(m): 12:36pm On May 31, 2023
Rip ma
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by kasim155: 12:37pm On May 31, 2023
RIP Mama

1 Like

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Odogwujayy: 12:38pm On May 31, 2023
Seems I'm the only one who never heard of her.
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Honourable1901(m): 12:38pm On May 31, 2023
Rest in peace great woman

1 Like

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by goodness4ever(m): 12:39pm On May 31, 2023
RIP to the woman that wrote 'The dilemma of a ghost.'
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:40pm On May 31, 2023
From all of us at [/b] : May Professor Ama Aida Atoo's Soul [b]REST IN PERFECT PEACE with the Lord.

She was a good woman, she lived a good life.
She won the Commonwealth Writers' Prize in 1991 with the novel : Changes

One day, we all gonna die!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by einsteine(m): 12:40pm On May 31, 2023
RIP
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by ybalogs(m): 12:41pm On May 31, 2023
RIP Mama. You lived a fulfilled live.
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by Christistruth03: 12:41pm On May 31, 2023

1 Like

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by fergie001: 12:41pm On May 31, 2023
Amakheus:
Ghanaians have great intellectuals Sha
Reminds me of
OSEI YAW ABABIO
Sarojini ramilingam(not sure if he's Ghanian tho)
New School Chemistry..... The king of them all!

7 Likes

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by bfire(m): 12:41pm On May 31, 2023
May her soul rest well.

We read the Dilemma of a Ghost as one of the literature books for out WASC in the early '80.

A wonderful small story book it is

1 Like

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by LofP(m): 12:44pm On May 31, 2023
May she rest in peace.
Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by dyera(m): 12:45pm On May 31, 2023
Aww

I read some of her novels back in junior secondary school.

fergie001:

New School Chemistry..... The king of them all!

Popularly known as 'Ababio chemistry'.

I remember when my teacher was challenging us and he told us about a legendary student that read Ababio chemistry from beginning to end four times.

As one of the top students in class I thought, if that guy could do it, then I should also be able to do it. I went and borrowed Ababio chemistry from my classmate with the purpose of reading it from beginning to end.

But even before I finished the first quarter of the textbook I could not continue, because I could not keep up with the countless chemical formulas and equation. They were just too many and it was impossible for me to memorize them.

When I eventually took up physics textbook and saw how I couldn't stop studying it, I came to the conclusion that I was more of a physicist.

7 Likes

Re: Professor Ama Ata Aidoo Dies At 83 by xjiggy: 12:45pm On May 31, 2023
Rest in Peace to a Great mind

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. / Naughty By Choice (18+) / Taboo [18+]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.