Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,868 members, 7,810,310 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:39 AM

Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma (43251 Views)

Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages / How Do I Say I Wan Fuk In Hausa And Yoruba Languages? / Choose Between Hausa, Yoruba, And Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by gbogboti: 4:08pm On Sep 29, 2011
I have been wondering why the Yorubas and the Hausa people use similar words. It sounds funny I suppose. As for the Igbo/Idoma languages, the similarities are too close. Although from my research, I found out that the Idomas broke away or wondered away from the Igbos.

It’s good learn something new about our tribes. In a way, it ‘d help curb TRIBALISM to a lager extent if u know what I am trying to say.
TAKE A LOOK AT THESE WORDS;

HAUSA YORUBA ENGLISH

Asiri Ashiri Secret
Agogo Agogo Secret
Tuba Tuba Repentance
Lafia Alafia Fine/Good health
Amfani Anfani Usefulness
Albarka Alubarika Profit/dividend (ire can be used for profit in Yoruba)
Malu Malu Cow
Titi(Hanya) Titi(o’no) Road

IDOMA(Benue South) IGBO ENGLISH
Ada Ada First Daughter
Okolobia Okolobia Young Man
Gban Gban Gban Gban Zinc
Abada Abada Women Wraper
Ochi Echi Tomorrow
Akpati Akpati Box
Ugbor Ugbor ship/train/aeroplane etc

1 Like

Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by kodewrita(m): 4:46pm On Sep 29, 2011
Reason: The yoruba language just like english is adept at adapting words from other languages especially the Hausa and Nupe with whom we have had a lot of dealings.

ARABIC HAUSA YORUBA ENGLISH
albasa albasa alubosa (onion)
Sheik Sheik seriki (chief)
-------- buredi(bu-gan) bread
---------- moto motorcar
----------- reluwe railway
arabiya ----------- larubawa Arabic
Jumaat Jumaat Jimoh(Eti) Friday
Nama Nomo beef
Tatashe Tatase Species of pepper

3 Likes

Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 29, 2011
Most of the words taht are common between Yoruba and Hausa have arabic origin: wahala, alubosa, alubarika etc

4 Likes

Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 29, 2011
In Yoruba, Agogo  does not mean secret o. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by aljharem3: 6:54pm On Sep 29, 2011
Yoruba           Igbos                   English

Eru                  Oru                      Slaves

Okuta              Okute                    Stone

Ewure              Ewu                      Goat

would come back with more

2 Likes

Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 29, 2011
^^ Now how are those similar?

Different tonation. DIFFERENT WORDS.

Its like comparing Igbo to Chinese, some words look the same on paper, different in speech. However, some Chinese and Yoruba words are similiar in tonation, but different in meanings.

So. . . .
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by Chyz2: 9:25pm On Sep 29, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Its like comparing Igbo to Chinese, some words look the same on paper, different in speech. However, some Chinese and Yoruba words are similiar in tonation, but different in meanings.

So. . . .

You dont even speak Igbo so how would you know,lol. According to you every "yoruba" word is identical regardless of dialect? undecided

1 Like

Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by aljharem3: 9:30pm On Sep 29, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

So. . . .

But the yoruba and igbo words meant the same thing unlike the chinese

Moreover my ileke-idi, you do not speak igbo and yoruba like me wink

1 Like

Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 29, 2011
alj_harem:

But the yoruba and igbo words meant the same thing unlike the chinese

Moreover my ileke-idi, you do not speak igbo and yoruba like me wink

They are not even the same word. Its like saying vous (french) is same as voice(Englsh).

And I'm not "your" Ileke. My husband is a very jealous man so watch yourself.
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by Nobody: 9:58pm On Sep 29, 2011
Chyz*:

You dont even speak Igbo so how would you know,lol. According to you every "yoruba" word is identical regardless of dialect? undecided

You're totally off the point since I've never even mentioned the bolded. 

As an Ekiti woman who knows that there are clearly differences between Yoruba and Ekiti, I wouldnt have mentioned something so ghastly.

Anywaz, the Yoruba words alj harem is comparing to Igbo are the typical Yoruba words (Oyo dialect).
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by mallorca(m): 1:15pm On Sep 30, 2011
nice one poster
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by moderatorr: 1:22pm On Sep 30, 2011
yoruba igbo hausa english

bokoharam bokoharam bokoharam bokoharam

1 Like

Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by Benluda(m): 1:27pm On Sep 30, 2011
the hausa, igbo and yoruba all emerged from the same place but claiming different history but we all one
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by highland(m): 1:34pm On Sep 30, 2011
Guy you try o
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by Ymodulus: 1:40pm On Sep 30, 2011
@ poster in hausa AGOGO does not mean secret it means wall clock while amfani is USE not USEFULLNESS
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by bolorunfem(f): 1:48pm On Sep 30, 2011
Ymodulus:

@ poster in hausa AGOGO does not mean secret it means wall clock while amfani is USE not USEFULLNESS

Was wondering too shocked shocked shocked

I can hardly think of any   Hausa/Yoruba and Igbo word with similar/same meaning.

Yoruba         English
The ones I know are:-             Wo              Wore 
                                            Ya/Yan        Yawn grin

I'm gona come with more, used to joke with a number of them way past.
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by victorazy(m): 1:57pm On Sep 30, 2011
alj_harem:

Yoruba Igbos English

Eru Oru Slaves

Okuta Okita Stone

Ewure Ewu Goat

would come back with more

Igbos call stone Okute not Okita plz
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by omaojo1: 2:09pm On Sep 30, 2011
I can authoritatively say that Igala (kogi) and Yoruba shares the greatest similarities.

The list is countless.

As a novice Igala man in Yoruba land, you'll understand conversations in youruba making conjectures.

2 Likes

Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 30, 2011
hausa yoruba english

sanma sanma sky

alede elede pig
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by Dandas: 2:17pm On Sep 30, 2011
No words are common between Igbo,Yoruba.Igbos and Yorubas do not have anything in common both in words and physical appearance.So lets not think otherwise.Igbos have things in common with Idoma,they re part igbo because they re near Enugu state.Likewise igbos have some common things with Delta,Bayelsa,Rivers,Akwaibom and part of Cross River,they are all old eastern regions.But for Yourbas and Hausas,NOTHING is in common between them.Nigeria need to be divided,lets stop deceiving ourselves as if we re one,we re not!.

2 Likes

Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by paris10: 2:18pm On Sep 30, 2011
Listen guys, always get your facts right, ok.

Every similar word(s) between the Yoruba's and Hausa's came originally from the Hausa's.

Amfani in Hausa= Usefulness
Yoruba tends to use the word also because of their islamic background and deep relationship with the Hausas.

Usefulness in Yoruba = wulo, and not amfani.

Tuba= repentance is an Hausa/islamic word. Yoruba muslims only use this word.

Tuba in Yoruba = Yiwa paada

Sheik is not chief as @kodewrita wrongly asserted. Sheik is a name given to religious leader e.g a cleric. Its an Arabic word.
Sarki is called King/chief in Hausa. The Yorubas couldn't pronounce the word Sarki, hence, calling it Seriki

Albarka is an islamic/hausa word. Yorubas (muslims) copy this word as well. They call it Alubarika.
Albarka in Yoruba= Orire, and not alubarika.

Cow in hausa= saniya, and not malu

cow in Yoruba- malu

Hope i've done justice to some of the misrepresentation here

Yorubas and igbos have similar words to things, and not Yoruba and Hausa.

Come up wit a word and i'll tell you their meaning

4 Likes

Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by Otunbakay(m): 2:28pm On Sep 30, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

In Yoruba, Agogo  does not mean secret o. Correct me if I'm wrong.

you 're correct, i was wondering myself.
@poster such similarities abound among d various tribes in nigeria and not limited 2 only those four tribes mention above. What would u say of d itsekiri's and yoruba's, the edo's and d ibo's just 2 mention a few. That's what makes us unique and indeed perculia people.
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by pynkspyce: 2:41pm On Sep 30, 2011
hmm
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by pinkrex(m): 2:59pm On Sep 30, 2011
yeeeeeeaiiii!!! grin grin grin grin

See as alh harim and the poster dey BE!!! shocked grin grin grin

Most you add even when you don't know undecided undecided undecided
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by pinkrex(m): 3:01pm On Sep 30, 2011
Perhaps a better comparison between the

Yoruba's and Igala's would make more sense undecided
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by Otunbakay(m): 3:02pm On Sep 30, 2011
Most time too, dis words could look similar but could bring about different meaning and interpretations. Check dis out;
An igbira boy took his friend, a yoruba boy 2 his own home and wanted 2 introduce him 2 his father and was shouting ''ORE MI DEE, ADA MI DA'' which means in 'IGBIRA' My friend has come, where his my father, but in 'YORUBA' It simply means my friend has come, where is my cutlass. I leave what followed next 4 u 2 imagine, Yesssss oo the yoruba boy bolted.

2 Likes

Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by victorazy(m): 3:08pm On Sep 30, 2011
Dandas:

No words are common between Igbo,Yoruba.Igbos and Yorubas do not have anything in common both in words and physical appearance.So lets not think otherwise.Igbos have things in common with Idoma,they re part igbo because they re near Enugu state.Likewise igbos have some common things with Delta,Bayelsa,Rivers,Akwaibom and part of Cross River,they are all old eastern regions.But for Yourbas and Hausas,NOTHING is in common between them.Nigeria need to be divided,lets stop deceiving ourselves as if we re one,we re not!.

GBAM

This guy in-fact your the most strict and sage one here.
My friend was reading Housa newspaper today and he was translating it to me in English.
We read Nuhu's story that northerners want to chase him out of their place because he has joined Nollywood industry.
I asked my friend, is this the one Nigeria? Is this the love and unity? Plz lets us not deceive ourselves, we're not one just as the the nature interpretation it (River Niger & River Benue) divided the land.
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by olawalebabs(m): 3:15pm On Sep 30, 2011
Arabic                      Yoruba                            Meaning
ad-dua                       Adura/adua                  supplication
al-amr                        Alamori                        matter
Allhu rabb                  Alau rabi                      My Lord Allah
Khilfah                        aleefa                          Ruling
al-barakah               alubarika                        Blessing
ar-ra                        ara                                Thunder
ar-rizq                      arisiki                            Wealth
’darr laluri Necessity
sabab sababi cause

1 Like

Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by Xfactoria: 3:19pm On Sep 30, 2011
Dandas:

Liar!!!! You don't know history and when you learn it, you'll be surprised what you'll learn. Please see below:

Hand:   Apa or Ika(old Yoruba)(Yoruba)   Eka (Igbo)

Nose:   Imu (Yoruba)                    Imi (Igbo)

Mouth: Enu (Yoruba)                   Onu (Igbo)

Ear:      Eti (Yoruba)                     Nti (Igbo)
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by bisman(m): 3:27pm On Sep 30, 2011
Benin   Yoruba  English
Ori       Oori       Sheabutter
Elede   Elede    Pig
Owo     Owo     Broom
Ise       Ase       Amen
Re: Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma by favouredjb(f): 3:31pm On Sep 30, 2011
paris10,pls tell them!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Led To Fracas At Oniru's Palace / Queen Ola Badirat Adeyemi Graduates From University Of Ibadan / The Beauty Of Edo Brides And Women In Their Native Attires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.