Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:22 PM

Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. (17365 Views)

Google Fires 28 Employees For Protesting Israel-cloud Deal (pictures) / The Life Of A Millennial Looking To Retire At 40 / Chinese Employers Sack Nigerian Employees Over Refusal To Practice Buddhism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Nice2023(m): 6:56pm On Jun 03, 2023
Why do most govt employees end up retiring very poor and wretched.

What might have caused it?

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by solmusdesigns: 6:57pm On Jun 03, 2023
Their salary scale and pension can't make them rich

121 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by ItisWell22(f): 6:59pm On Jun 03, 2023
😢

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:22pm On Jun 03, 2023
the world is designed to make you SURVIVE as a gov employee, not to get rich from it.

133 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Wodu89: 7:30pm On Jun 03, 2023
MrBrownJay1:
the world is designed to make you SURVIVE as a gov employee, not to get rich from it.

Here's the answer. It's called a matrix. And it's designed to keep victims in a complex, perpetual, cyclical maze that they never get out of till death

93 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Oizee(f): 7:33pm On Jun 03, 2023
When I got my first salary 9 years ago as a civil servant, I told myself that i was going to save so much in order to invest, I was even seeing myself having my own house in 5 yrs time, here I am trying to apply for a loan since morning on quick bucks and I just received salary 2 days ago.

I'm grateful to God Almighty, if you want to enjoy tomorrow even though it is not assured u just have to sacrifice so many things, like ur choice of clothes, foods and so many others.
U just have to be contempted and have great plans for the little u earn and forget competing with anyone in the society, everyone carries different grace.

Family didn't help matter too bcuz of their constant demand monthly, to them u are working.
Business owner can easily lie that market is not moving, but a civil servant case is different.
I have seen some well paid staff that still complains about their salary not bn enough for them. To me I believe everything is just the grace of God.

226 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by jaeyking(m): 7:58pm On Jun 03, 2023
Well lack of planning for the future
Depending on only that source of income
Family pressures ( because they know once month ends them don pay)

So the way forward is to plan for the future
Cut down expenses in terms of children fees (there are good school dat pay less fees), buy food in bulk (it saves)
Your house rent shouldn't be more than two months of your salary (start small in life, you are not here to impress anyone).
Your wife/partner should not be a full-time house wife. She should own some that brings in income

Above all, have side hustles that can bring in income weekly or daily.

With this person fit manage life small

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:12pm On Jun 03, 2023
Wodu89:
Here's the answer. It's called a matrix. And it's designed to keep perpetrators in a complex, perpetual, cyclical maze that they never get out of till death

exactly...if everyone would get rich from being gov employees then who would work for these gov? the world would collapse!

17 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Natural2Heal: 8:13pm On Jun 03, 2023
Salary job itself can only make you comfortable and.not rich.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Vision101(m): 11:08pm On Jun 03, 2023
The regularity of their income encourage them to be too comfortable. When they are in need they apply for loan.

Lack and uncertainty of your income will force you to think outside the box. You will plan and manage very well any income that comes your way.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Tayorshd87: 11:14pm On Jun 03, 2023
My brother it's a day to day planning that failed ..
The government themselves never want u rich so u can continue working for them

Am also a civil servant in Lagos state but i don't joke with my side hustle ..

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Love800(m): 7:53am On Jun 04, 2023
Pls i have a question.

Does pension have expiring date? Will there be a time a certain individual will not be collecting pension again?

Can you just collect all your pension once nd neva expect any pension money again? Is it a must dat u will be collecting it monthly?

Is it from ur salary dat the govt extract this pension from? Or its the govt dat pay u from their own money?

I heard people collect pension as low as 20k monthly. Pls is this true? And does ur area of specialization(department) determine how much u will get paid as pension? because someone told me dat oil workers in govt collect pension as high as 400k monthly.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Nazgul: 8:10am On Jun 04, 2023
Nice2023:

Most got employed with SSCE so they remained on the same level for years, and by the time they retire, their salaries is still not enough for their large family. This happens mostly in the military and para-military.

As for state government workers, that one is slavery on its own. Most states pay peanuts and some useless governors would still owe salaries.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Nobody: 11:48am On Jun 04, 2023
When you've a family to feed , where you wan see chance to save or invest .

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Nice2023(m): 1:03pm On Jun 04, 2023
The day I started rethinking my life was the day a woman who retired in my office and came back the following year selling biscuits and sweet around the offices.

Na so,I come start deh hate my job oh. Thank God I came from the private sector before securing this job,otherwise,it could have been hell on earth.

In fact,my only consolation is that,I have done well for myself.

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by LadyRosa2(f): 1:45pm On Jun 04, 2023
Many civil servants are mentally and physically very very lazy i assure you.

The regularity of their salaries is not helping them much.

A security man earning 70k in GT bank is way prosperous than a civil servant earning same why?

Truth is more than 70 percent of CS i know are mentally, physically too lazy. The only time they work is when they are waiting for their salaries.

They will never improve on theirs elves through skills, highest is to obtain more degree from universities where its easy to bribe to get certification.

Their laziness makes them breed like rat too.

You go see a govt teacher having 5 children or moregrin

They can take loans like kilode and end up not planning well with it.Its just very few that builds with it.

My friend a CV among many is an exception, he just furnished three bedroom to his name, young and still unmarried.

Maybe na say him be anambra guy sha!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Wodu89: 1:46pm On Jun 04, 2023
LadyRosa2:

A security man earning 70k in GT bank is way prosperous than a civil servant earning same why?

Truth is more than 70 percent of CS i know are mentally, physically too lazy. The only time they work is when they are waiting for their salaries.

They will never improve on theirs elves through skills, highest is to obtain more degree from universities where its easy to bribe to get certification.

They can take loans like kilode and end up to planning well with it.Its just very few that builds with it.

My friend a CV among many is an exception, he just furnished three bedroom to his name, young and still unmarried.

Even 50-70% of workers in non civil service also dies poor and wretched. So what's the difference?

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by NoToPile: 3:03pm On Jun 04, 2023
Lool

Whats the difference between a civil servant and those in private sectors? People still work for companies and become wretched after retirement. I really don't get the point.

What of those who despite earning peanuts are still fair off after retirement?

I think the problem some people are having with civil servants is the so called regularity of their salaries.

Anyway not all govt workers earn peanuts, there are decently paid govt workers too.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by NoToPile: 3:10pm On Jun 04, 2023
LadyRosa2:

They can take loans like kilode and end up not planning well with it.Its just very few that builds with it.

@bolded you don't think that's an individual thing? Any statistics to back this up.

Saying this because I know quite a number of Lagos govt teachers with this same pay range (maybe a little higher now) and they seem to be okay enough. Lots of these people also have alternative means of income.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by frozen70(f): 8:45pm On Jun 04, 2023
Nice2023:

Consider the followings

Poor salary

Lack of planning due to poor salary

Access to loan but can't service the loan because of poor salary

Having too many children to train out of the poor salary

Not every one is lucky to work where they collect bribe to support the poor salary

Living above income

Lastly, the job they do protect them to an extent that you won't notice that they are poor and once they retire, their true personal value appears immediately

That's when you can still access if they were actually poor or rich when in service

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by MrHighSea: 12:25am On Jun 05, 2023
Rat race

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Karleb(m): 6:18am On Jun 05, 2023
Civil service is slavery.

Many of them don't acquire professional certifications, what they do is marry and have children or build house and buy cars. grin

The job is too safe and it makes them so lackadaisical about their career besides there's a limit to what you can earn. Professors for example don't earn upto a million. grin

Government also owe them in many states for very long time.

Nobody should do civil service full time.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Karleb(m): 6:26am On Jun 05, 2023
NoToPile:

@bolded you don't think that's an individual thing? Any statistics to back this up.

Saying this because I know quite a number of Lagos govt teachers with this same pay range (maybe a little higher now) and they seem to be okay enough. Lots of these people also have alternative means of income.

The guy dey cap for the bolded.

Civil service is actually very easy. They have access to loans and they enjoy bonuses too. They go on leaves and their retirement packages are not bad too. Gratuity and life pension? Just make sure you die early before inflation renders your pension useless. grin

If that security guy on 70k sees a civil service job, trust me he is quitting that very day.

Civil service is designed to make you middle-class forever.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Blessedarethepe(m): 4:41pm On Jun 09, 2023
Nice2023:

Because they didn't steal money.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by talented321: 6:39pm On Jun 09, 2023
Let may say somebody is receiving a salary of 80k which 80.000×12=960.000, how much is 1.house rent
2.school fee 3.electricity fuel and nepa 4.feeding 5.transport 6.data and dstv or other subscripsons 7.there are alot more to count, it is not easy to make it with civil service work
Karleb:

The guy dey cap for the bolded.

Civil service is actually very easy. They have access to loans and they enjoy bonuses too. They go on leaves and their retirement packages are not bad too. Gratuity and life pension? Just make sure you die early before inflation renders your pension useless. grin

If that security guy on 70k sees a civil service job, trust me he is quitting that very day.

Civil service is designed to make you middle-class forever.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Karleb(m): 7:02pm On Jun 09, 2023
talented321:
Let may say somebody is receiving a salary of 80k which 80.000×12=960.000, how much is 1.house rent
2.school fee 3.electricity fuel and nepa 4.feeding 5.transport 6.data and dstv or other subscripsons 7.there are alot more to count, it is not easy to make it with civil service work

I already said civil service no be am. But it is still way better and easier than working as driver or gate man at a bank.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by talented321: 7:08pm On Jun 09, 2023
Karleb:

I already said civil service no be am. But it is still way better and easier than working as driver or gate man at a bank.
drivers, gatemen and banker's work is another slavery, especially bankers.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Hamachi(f): 6:23am On Jun 10, 2023
HmmmmmmSad truth😥😥😥😥😥 This real-life story of Uncle Owusu, after living in the UK for 38 years and at the age of 71, Uncle Owusu finally relocated to Ghana this year—to live in his 6-bedroom mansion which took him 9 years to complete.

Apparently, now in Ghana and in his mansion, Uncle Owusu lives in the living room of the house while his caretaker lives upstairs in his huge master bedroom. This is because Uncle Owusu cannot climb the stairs without the help of another person. Even with help, it will take him 15 minutes to make the climb.

As such, Uncle Owusu has decided to stay downstairs of his mansion (in the living room) as all 6 bedrooms are upstairs. The house has a living room, toilet, and kitchen downstairs and 3 rooms on the first floor, and another 3 (including the master bedroom) on the second/last floor.

This is surely not how Uncle Owusu anticipated his retirement. But that is the reality of his journey. This will be the life of many other Africans living abroad—building mansions back home without caring about their old age.

In fact, if you are building a dream house for yourself to live in and by 50 years that house is not done, forget it.

Uncle Owusu almost wasted 38 years of his life doing menial jobs abroad hoping to go and retire back home in his mansion and enjoy life. Now, he has no life to enjoy and someone is really enjoying the mansion.

Like most aged persons, Uncle Owusu is not even able to enjoy a bottle of malt at his age—because that will shoot up his sugar level. Yet, he said he was working hard all his life to enjoy his best life which included eating and drinking the finest when he retires.

Now, he is only able to eat salads—and even that, without dressing. He cannot even chew any of the fine meat out there without his cholesterol sending warning signs.

How is this life and the great retirement? Yet, this will be the life of more than half of us.

The solution is to take mini-retirements now and enjoy your life and luxury now.

Life starts when you start.

Join www.above50football.com today

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Cmanforall: 1:14pm On Jun 10, 2023
They don't need to retire poor, but government fail to pay them their pensions, sometimes the frustrations make them look poor.
Retirement calls for celebration

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by julybaba(m): 1:14pm On Jun 10, 2023
They don’t know how to make money and build wealth. Most of them are satisfied with the amount they earn, since they can borrow if they need more.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by opera1(m): 1:15pm On Jun 10, 2023
Government job pay is just to sustain the workers while in active service and not for any capital project or investment.

Basically, poor condition of service during and after retirement.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Benefits Of Working For Yourself (self- Employed) / Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD / Osun Worker Attempts Suicide Over Unpaid Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.