Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,686 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. (17397 Views)

The Life Of A Millennial Looking To Retire At 40 / Chinese Employers Sack Nigerian Employees Over Refusal To Practice Buddhism / Voice Of America Sacks 15 Hausa Employees In A Nigeria Bribery Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by arabbunkum: 1:15pm On Jun 10, 2023
It's a false assertion.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by fadsam: 1:16pm On Jun 10, 2023
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by MrRemedyAlagbo(m): 1:17pm On Jun 10, 2023
Bad salary,lack of well laid plan and single source of income

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by cliqtips: 1:18pm On Jun 10, 2023
Nice2023:
Why do most govt employees end up retiring very poor and wretched.

What might have caused it?

The main problem is not getting their pensions on time.

Our government isn't trying on that note.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Pameno: 1:19pm On Jun 10, 2023
There salary structure is too poor. Where that of politicians are very huge ...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by BennyDGreat: 1:19pm On Jun 10, 2023
Nice2023:
The day I started rethinking my life was the day a woman retired in my office and came back the following year selling biscuits and sweet around the offices.

Na so,I come start deh hate my job oh. Thank God I came from the private sector before securing this job,otherwise,it could have been hell on earth.

In fact,my only consolation is that,I have done well for myself.

Did you go back to the private sector?
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by ignis: 1:21pm On Jun 10, 2023
Because they are lazy.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by b3llo(m): 1:23pm On Jun 10, 2023
Pension is poor
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Prettychild(f): 1:26pm On Jun 10, 2023
Most of them don’t plan or have investments, they just depend on the salary they get to eat and feed their children

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by BABANGBALI: 1:26pm On Jun 10, 2023
What'd the basic salary of civil servants in Nigeria. That should answer your question
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Akwamkpuruamu: 1:27pm On Jun 10, 2023
Na dis question dem de first ask you before you know say na GNLD work you come for

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by sacajawea: 1:27pm On Jun 10, 2023
Cum, cum cum and cum
Research the rest
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Ofemmanu1: 1:27pm On Jun 10, 2023
Wodu89:

Even 50-70% of workers in non civil service also dies poor and wretched. So what's the difference?

The thing tire me o.

All CS can never retire poor..
My Father inlaw is a CS and he's rich same as Mother inlaw.
At Dangote, many are retiring poor and many have retired rich too, is all about Perspective.

As for me, very soon I will leave Dangote as a rich yourg man.
I want a Military or Police Job and it shall be well with me.

Perspective ni o.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by rammychic(f): 1:28pm On Jun 10, 2023
You earn salary to survive and not to actually live.
No one earn salary to make a decent living.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by SpaceAngel: 1:28pm On Jun 10, 2023
The answer is open secret. Salary and pension is poor. Many decide to do unholy things to upgrade. Check the minimum wage I don't know if it's 18 or 30k, whichever , how does one survive on that with family? The person may be on same for years and expected to do 9 to 5. Even the ones on the higher echelon are not any better. I almost jumped out of my skin, when I heard how much a police inspector earns. I don't think they are legally allowed to own businesses while working maybe it's ok for them to do so now.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by sacajawea: 1:29pm On Jun 10, 2023
Oizee:
When I got my first salary 9 years ago as a civil servant, I told myself that i was going to save so much in order to invest, I was even seeing myself having my own house in 5 yrs time, here I am trying to apply for a loan since morning on quick bucks and I just received salary 2 days ago.

Which ministry or parastatal? Is it State or Federal
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Ventura1: 1:30pm On Jun 10, 2023
Most of them were not productive while working.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by LikeAking: 1:31pm On Jun 10, 2023
Nice2023:
Why do most govt employees end up retiring very poor and wretched.

What might have caused it?

Naso life be.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by gloryman91: 1:31pm On Jun 10, 2023
Unless you steal Government funds like Emefile.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by LikeAking: 1:32pm On Jun 10, 2023
Akwamkpuruamu:
Na dis question dem de first ask you before you know say na GNLD work you come for

Lolx
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by ruggedtimi(m): 1:32pm On Jun 10, 2023
Wrong financial planning and too many children

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by LikeAking: 1:35pm On Jun 10, 2023
Love800:
Pls i have a question.

Does pension have expiring date? Will there be a time a certain individual will not be collecting pension again?

Can you just collect all your pension once nd neva expect any pension money again? Is it a must dat u will be collecting it monthly?

Is it from ur salary dat the govt extract this pension from? Or its the govt dat pay u from their own money?

I heard people collect pension as low as 20k monthly. Pls is this true? And does ur area of specialization(department) determine how much u will get paid as pension? because someone told me dat oil workers in govt collect pension as high as 400k monthly.

Oil comps I'm Federal, that's NNPC and co.

Pension does not have an expiry date for civil servants. That's on reason civil servants don't earn much.. They receive pension for life.

But for private firms pension has an expiry date..
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by ChiefS(m): 1:35pm On Jun 10, 2023
It's not necessarily true. The salaries are designed to make them to meet their basic needs except for those who occupy executive positions like directors and permanent secretaries etc. Or those who are involved in corrupt practices. I have received promotion with less than 15,000 added to my salary. Some civil servants manage to do some side hussles like farming or trading but it does not make them rich. An average civil servant(graduate cadre upwards) who plans his life may just be moderately comfortable, managing to train his kids, builds a small house where he retires. If we have a responsible government their pension and grauities should not be owed them.

jaeyking:
Well lack of planning for the future
Depending on only that source of income
Family pressures ( because they know once month ends them don pay)

So the way forward is to plan for the future
Cut down expenses in terms of children fees (there are good school dat pay less fees), buy food in bulk (it saves)
Your house rent shouldn't be more than two months of your salary (start small in life, you are not here to impress anyone).
Your wife/partner should not be a full-time house wife. She should own some that brings in income

Above all, have side hustles that can bring in income weekly or daily.

With this person fit manage life small

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by HardMirror(m): 1:36pm On Jun 10, 2023
Wodu89:

Here's the answer. It's called a matrix. And it's designed to keep victims in a complex, perpetual, cyclical maze that they never get out of till death
truth be told most poor people deserve to be poor. That is how life is supposed to be. Not everyone has the intelligence or luck to be rich and it is ok. If you fight hard enough you could increase your chance and escape.
By the way you can also be poor and die happy. Lol. That is just life. Messed up

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by TheDemola: 1:36pm On Jun 10, 2023
Because there is no money in govt work. Any govt worker you see that's living large is definitely mismanaging or diverting funds.
Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by CodeTemplar: 1:37pm On Jun 10, 2023
The offered little in exchange for little all through and never thought of sowing seeds early on.
The investing ones are land owners and business owners.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by Wodu89: 1:37pm On Jun 10, 2023
HardMirror:
truth be told most poor people deserve to be poor. That is how life is supposed to be. Not everyone has the intelligence or luck to be rich and it is ok. If you fight hard enough you could increase your chance and escape.
By the way you can also be poor and die happy. Lol. That is just life. Messed up

True my brother. This is one of life's truests statement. If we don't have poor people, we won't have work force for productivity

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by OgbeniOptional(m): 1:37pm On Jun 10, 2023
Cuz what u earn is community money in Nigeria, u pay for your mother’s brother’s Son/Daughter’s Waec fees, school fees etc. u pay that scarce cash for your children school fees and lesson fees, clothes etc. it is by grace of God to have one low budget 3 bed flat and probably one 1990s Audi or bwm after retirement as a civil servant without corruption in Nigeria. The sad part is most of those lunatic childrens are forming woke to that same parents who sacrificed their sweat. I would do anything for my parent. They suffered a lot

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by HardMirror(m): 1:38pm On Jun 10, 2023
Wodu89:

True my brother. This is one of life's truests statement. If we don't have poor people, we won't have work force for productivity
i appreciate your insight and wisdom.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Govt Employees Retire Poor. by thisisit: 1:39pm On Jun 10, 2023
BECAUSE THEY FAILED TO LOOT PUBLIC FUNDS WHILE THEY ARE IN THE EMPLOYMENT OF GOVT..

THOSE WHO STILL ARE LIVING LARGE

ASK MAGU
ASK THE IMMEDIATE PAST ACCOUNTANT GENERAL UMDER BUHARI

ASK THE IMMEDIATE PAST MINISTER OF PETROLEUM

ASK MELE KYARI

ASK THE IMMEDIATE PAST MINISTER OF AVIATION

THEY ARE LIVING VERY LARGE...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Oyo Government Sacks 662 Workers, Distributes Sack Letters / Is Data Analytics A Promising Career Path? / The Benefits Of Working For Yourself (self- Employed)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.