Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,192 members, 7,829,269 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) (30545 Views)

Katangua Market For Second-Hand Clothes Demolished By Lagos State Government / Customs Plans Auction Of Overtime Cargoes At Ports Soon / How Second Hand Clothes (Okirika) Are Sorted And Put In Bales In Togo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by nlfpmod: 3:19pm On Jun 09, 2023
The Customs Service has announced its intention to place a ban on the sale of second-hand clothes popularly called Okrika in Nigeria.

During a recent interview, a Customs Service spokesperson said that the sale of Okrika clothing is injurious to the country.

He said: Okrika clothes are injurious to the health of the nation. That is why government deem it fit that it should be banned.

“One should be curious. Nobody knows how and who used these clothing. And most importantly smugglers desirous to turn Nigeria into a dumping ground. We should not accept it.

“We are a country well blessed with human and natural resources. Why will someone go and bring used products?”

The development has stirred reactions from netizens.

Reacting to the video, tonia.gram_ said: “Let the poor breaffff. Don’t suffocate us 😭😭😭.”

Babajideedges stated: “I’m sure the same person who raised the fuss about my beloved ponmo is behind this. Don’t worry guys, they failed with ponmo, they will fail with this also.

Insensitive bunch that are paying 30k minimum wage but are here forming National Classism. Asan Oniranu.

Abuse of priority!”

Brandy_ish commented: “These people are so disconnected from the true plights of the people. This is how the really poor are able to afford clothing. Like how are we so blessed with clueless people at the top? Until they deepen the gap between the rich and the poor, they can’t rest. God abeg save this country cos I don’t even understand anymore.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/reactions-as-customs-plans-to-ban-second-hand-clothes/

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by SultanOfAbia: 3:25pm On Jun 09, 2023
They should ban that nonesense
How can you be wearing another person used clith. Do you know where they picked those clothes from?
Do you know what if the owner of the clothes has died and they sell the clothes to you and you buy.
Comot money buy original clothes
Or you wear traditional cloths

Wearing another person's used clothe is a no no from me.
That is how on of my guy bought okirika jeans and while washing it he saw blood stain inside the jeans.
He tried returning it but it didn't work
Do you know if the owner of that Jean was a victim that got shot and his jeans removed and sold as okirika second hand cloth and you gladly buy it and wear a dead man clothes walking around.
And you wonder why evil things are happening to you.

The one that shocked me till this day
I found out that girls buy okirika bra and pants. shocked
Thunder fire all of una. Bloody disgusting species. Tueh!!!
Imagine wearing the used pant of an unknown bleeding vagina.
Angel Gabriel, what are you waiting for?

19 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Risingblue008(m): 3:25pm On Jun 09, 2023
85% of Nigerians only hope of shelter?
This government dey mean,
I hope they will ban foreign wears too,
Make we kukuma dey patronize our locally made cloths.
I believe that will be better,
Make I see person openoith say I buy this shirt for 100k,
Thunder fire the person

116 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by KingSatan: 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
Please let the poor breath!

Used clothes are sold everywhere in the world. Stop making it look like Nigeria is the worse place on earth.

These strange and wicked policies are nauseating.

I repeat, let the poor breath.

325 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by datola: 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
Please ban the rubish okirika. It is our major economy sabotage.

Those illiterates commenting up who want to look like oyinbo do not know it's because of the toxic okirikas that textile industry collapsed in Nigeria.

Textile industry used to be the largest employer of labour in Nigeria. Millions of jobs have been lost because of trade liberalization agenda that allow all rubish from other countries to be dumbed into Nigeria.

If we produce and sew almost all we wear here we would enjoy these benefits among others:

1. Millions of jobs lost will be recreated

2. Most youth will be gainfully employed and thus reduce crime especially insurgency in the North

3. Naira will gain strength

4. Health hazard as a result of wearing toxic clothese will be averted.

5, Nigerian fashion brands will grow

Hope those who want to eat their tomorrow today will understand.

25 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by olusegzy01(m): 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
E good nah
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by TemplarLandry: 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
tongue
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Opeyemi4real(m): 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
Hey
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by felong(m): 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
undecided

5 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by HydraFeeds(m): 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
Imagine Nigeria Dey wear second hand cloth ,use second hand phone and second hand car .

Poverty alleviation programs should be implemented to help Nigerians push beyond poverty line .

Especially the youth so that the next generation can enjoy more wealth .

6 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Blackadam14(m): 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
This is serious
How would people with minimum wage afford china substandard new cloths .

Have you even entered boutiques to know how much cost now ?

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by LagosFirstSon: 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
Customs must be mad

Do they know the number of Nigerians who survive on okrika business ?

101 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by robinfemi: 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
Wahala for we wer dey struggle.... Custom dey look for how to cash.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by ezewealth(m): 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
Pressure ti wa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by LUGBE: 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
Custom and hardship means the same. Very wicked set of organisation. They always create artificial hardship. President Tinubu please Custom needs a total overhaul of the system.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by BrickDevo: 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
Finish dem, finish the poor
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Lolachef(f): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
Hope for the poor like me.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Agadaemmy(m): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
Another wahala
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Impregnable101: 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
Na ogun go kill that custom boss!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by vincenteger: 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
So this people want us to be walking naked

E be like car import no Dy move market again.
Otilo fuel

4 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Wealthoptulent(m): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
Lolz... okrika.. new NIGERIA, NEW NIGERIANS WITH NEW CLOTHES cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Adewale1603(m): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
How do you want urgent 2k girls to cope

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Samfloxin(m): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
They want to start importing turkey wears

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by MRDEE01: 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
I support this.

We have a budding local industry that can fill the gap.

Kano,Aba,lagos and Onitsha can sustain the industry

2 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Domipraiz: 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
I support everything but no this
Custom boss must be badd
Even my boss in office also patronize okirika

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Exceed15: 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
They have started again. That was how Buhari missed it by closing up borders with nonsense reasons.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by tommykiwi(m): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
For what na?

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by charles614: 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
Nawaoo, as poor man no go fit buy designers make you allow them wear the okirika wey there money reach

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by iampeterben(m): 3:28pm On Jun 09, 2023
Seems like cars and rice nor dey pay them again? Now they wanna change gear to Okrika.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by mjuvey3: 3:28pm On Jun 09, 2023
How will our Nigerian women survive?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Can I Start Filling Gas Plant Business? Please Who Can Help? / The Meanings Of Visa, Verve, Mastercard, Naira, Dollar, Debit & Credit Card / Blogger Seun Oloketuyi Arrested For False Publications About Bank CEOs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.