Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,133 members, 7,856,526 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 09:37 PM

Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) (30663 Views)

Katangua Market For Second-Hand Clothes Demolished By Lagos State Government / Customs Plans Auction Of Overtime Cargoes At Ports Soon / How Second Hand Clothes (Okirika) Are Sorted And Put In Bales In Togo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Glory2DLamb(m): 5:24pm On Jun 09, 2023
Were you born when this line of business started? Grow up. Get something to do it will save you from embarrassing yourself like this.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by folake4u(f): 5:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
Wetin una want make I come dey wear abeg? undecided

Allow the poor breeeeeeef please, don't suffocate me.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by janykute: 5:31pm On Jun 09, 2023
They should equally ban second hand cars .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by wallarwallar(m): 5:39pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:
They should ban that nonesense
How can you be wearing another person used clith. Do you know where they picked those clothes from?
Do you know what if the owner of the clothes has died and they sell the clothes to you and you buy.
Comot money buy original clothes
Or you wear traditional cloths

Wearing another person's used clothe is a no no from me.
That is how on of my guy bought okirika jeans and while washing it he saw blood stain inside the jeans.
He tried returning it but it didn't work
Do you know if the owner of that Jean was a victim that got shot and his jeans removed and sold as okirika second hand cloth and you gladly buy it and wear a dead man clothes walking around.
And you wonder why evil things are happening to you.

The one that shocked me till this day
I found out that girls buy okirika bra and pants. shocked
Thunder fire all of una. Bloody disgusting species. Tueh!!!
Imagine wearing the used pant of an unknown bleeding vagina.
Angel Gabriel, what are you waiting for?

How many people don die or sick wearing okrika u sef dey form big boy... Everything na choice fingers are not equal and dat is what we call economy alternatives
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by uniquetechng: 5:44pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:
How can you be wearing another person used clith. Do you know where they picked those clothes from?
Do you know what if the owner of the clothes has died and they sell the clothes to you and you buy.

That is how on of my guy bought okirika jeans and while washing it he saw blood stain inside the jeans.
Do you know if the owner of that Jean was a victim that got shot and his jeans removed and sold as okirika second hand cloth and you gladly buy it and wear a dead man clothes walking around.

Used clothes are sold even in the US, Canada and the UK, it's not a Nigerian thing and there is nothing wrong with it.
In fact there is marketing in the US where only used things are sold, people go there to dispose off their used items are low rates.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by 1opinion: 5:47pm On Jun 09, 2023
Sammy5413:
Okirika, clothing our girls since 1925
I bet our girls won't approve of this
Is it only girls that wears them... Abeg find something else write

2 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by colizee(m): 6:00pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:

I was Just reading your shit hoping sense will fall on you while you type, obviously it didn't.....Your papa!!!

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Father4all: 6:06pm On Jun 09, 2023
Useless bunch of criminals
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Olamilekan92: 6:07pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:

Shut Up.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by yemi1504: 6:08pm On Jun 09, 2023
KingSatan:
Please let the poor breath!

Used clothes are sold everywhere in the world. Stop making it look like Nigeria is the worse place on earth.

These strange and wicked policies are nauseating.

I repeat, let the poor breath.

Abi
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by DaddyJapan(m): 6:11pm On Jun 09, 2023
Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda have agreed to ban second-hand clothing, mostly imported from the US and UK, in order to support their own textile industries.

They hope local factories will create much-needed jobs and increase exports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sJk7RxmtHE
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by KwuoteYourFada: 6:15pm On Jun 09, 2023
They should ban it Aba should start mass producing clothes
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by pcagbaji(m): 6:22pm On Jun 09, 2023
But on a serious note who report to the government that make them want to act as if they are speaking for the masses who sent them this message, is anyone wearing okirica complaining ?
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Litmus: 6:32pm On Jun 09, 2023
I'm beginning to wonder if when some on Niaraland draw on the sentiment of "the poor" whether they mean Nigeria's poor or if they mean the people of other West Africa nations that are relying on the Nigeria market. Withdrawing fuel subsidy is an example, how much of the crying online about Nigeria withdrawing fuel subsidy is actually from those that represent the interests of other West Africa nation's people and not Nigeria's poor? I've learned that much of the second hand clothes that enter Nigeria comes from Ivory Coast. Nigeria sanctioning second hand clothes will impact that trade in Ivory coast.

In short there may be an element on Niaraland that shout about the poor who may actually not give a Bleep about Nigeria's poor but are fighting for the interest of other West Africa nations people.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Ellasure: 6:41pm On Jun 09, 2023
the customs service of Nigeria is not a law making body and we are not under a military unitary authority.

therefore Customs services is talking balderdash and if they are serious about the subject matter let them approach the federal legislatures with their unbiqitox proposals for house deliberations.

if they are less busy in their offices and they are not pursuing rice merchants any more they need to tidy up their offices and clean up their tables for future instructions from the presidency and legislatures.

raising fears among traders should not be a blackmail technocrat of Nigeria customs service.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by lexy2014: 6:41pm On Jun 09, 2023
datola:
Please ban the rubish okirika. It is our major economy sabotage.

Those illiterates commenting up who want to look like oyinbo do not know it's because of the toxic okirikas that textile industry collapsed in Nigeria.

Textile industry used to be the largest employer of labour in Nigeria. Millions of jobs have been lost because of trade liberalization agenda that allow all rubish from other countries to be dumbed into Nigeria.

If we produce and sew almost all we wear here we would enjoy these benefits among others:

1. Millions of jobs lost will be recreated

2. Most youth will be gainfully employed and thus reduce crime especially insurgency in the North

3. Naira will gain strength

4. Health hazard as a result of wearing toxic clothese will be averted.

5, Nigerian fashion brands will grow

Hope those who want to eat their tomorrow today will understand.

Is it okrika that is responsible for the collapse of Nigerias textile industry?
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Cromagnon: 6:41pm On Jun 09, 2023
Risingblue008:
85% of Nigerians only hope of shelter?
This government dey mean,
I hope they will ban foreign wears too,
Make we kukuma dey patronize our locally made cloths.

Which cloth is locally made
We import all our textiles

I believe that will be better,
Make I see person openoith say I buy this shirt for 100k,
Thunder fire the person
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by lexy2014: 6:42pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:

Were u forced to buy okrika?
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by sacajawea: 6:43pm On Jun 09, 2023
folake4u:
Wetin una want make I come dey wear abeg? undecided

Allow the poor breeeeeeef please, don't suffocate me.
Stop Playing around. It's sort of "Taunting to actual poor people"... Cos you and I know that you are absolutely not Poor

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by lexy2014: 6:46pm On Jun 09, 2023
IMASTEX:

You forgot to mention that those clothes aren't shipped in volume from elsewhere. Meanwhile, kokubo clothes have always been a contraband item for long. In as much as, items should be affordable to all. We shouldn't also forget not to kill local production by allowing too much of what we already have. Though, even the locals are greedy with pricing. If you visit the port and see what comes in, you would call the country a bin. Inferiority complex is an issue here.

Wait oh oga. How is okrika a threat to local production?
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Nyceguy92: 6:50pm On Jun 09, 2023
They are a bunch of indolent misfits lucky to be in office.
Can they swear that they or their family members have never used second-hand clothes before.

Even in developed countries, Thrift stores exist that sell fairly used clothing, shoes, furniture, kitchen utensils, etc. The used "anything" market can never go away.

By the way, do Customs have the authority to determine what gets banned or imported. Is that not the prerogative of the federal government?

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by udemzyudex(m): 6:57pm On Jun 09, 2023
Lol.. dem go just sit down and look for a way to increase the suffering of the common man.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Sleekfingers: 7:08pm On Jun 09, 2023
KingSatan:
Please let the poor breath!

Used clothes are sold everywhere in the world. Stop making it look like Nigeria is the worse place on earth.

These strange and wicked policies are nauseating.

I repeat, let the poor breath.

But Nigeria is the major dumping ground of used clothes in the world. Including used bra , female panties, etc

Not to talk of used electronics.

The Government need to do something about it. It has gotten outta hand
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Sleekfingers: 7:19pm On Jun 09, 2023
JOemmy:
Nigeria is currently the poverty capital of the whole world how many nigerians can afford a brand new jeans of #5k?

Is a brand new jeans for 5k? Maybe made in Abakaliki
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by folake4u(f): 7:20pm On Jun 09, 2023
sacajawea:

Stop Playing around. It's sort of "Taunting to actual poor people"... Cos you and I know that you are absolutely not Poor

Lol. How does wearing okrika and whatever you're thinking correlate?

I buy okrika like no man's business and will actually be sad if it's banned. Whatever you're talking about is none of my concern.

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by IMASTEX: 7:24pm On Jun 09, 2023
lexy2014:

Wait oh oga. How is okrika a threat to local production?
If we all buy okrika. No one will be a local tailor to make dresses. Hence the job created in that aspect will be closed down. You will see pant, bra, towels, etc among what is called okrika. You will also see many of those clothes best for disposal.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by drololaaof: 7:28pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:

Nonsense . Which cloth they can manufacture none . Most fabric in Nigeria now are more of polyester products & of low quality, most of the so called second cloths are better than some new .
Customs is out to swindle us again.
The petrol tankers that smuggled petrol products outside Nigeria in the north what become of it.
The customs cannot effectively police our boarder to prevent smuggling of petrol and its products but they can come up to ban second hand cloth
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Prettychild(f): 7:41pm On Jun 09, 2023
nlfpmod:

https://thenationonlineng.net/reactions-as-customs-plans-to-ban-second-hand-clothes/
This doesn’t make sense. Even in abroad they sell okrika clothes which they call ‘hand me downs’ in stores for that matter

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by sojiadebayo: 7:50pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:

So What about the tokunbo cars, tokunbo power bike among others .how can you think like this. Because your friend saw blood on the clothes he bought you then conclude all the clothes in the market is bad
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Pacyrus(m): 7:51pm On Jun 09, 2023
Dem nor just well angry Misplaced priority!
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Pacyrus(m): 7:52pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:

Make we hear word sad What about tokunbo vehicles
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by bigiyaro(m): 7:53pm On Jun 09, 2023
datola:
Please ban the rubish okirika. It is our major economy sabotage.

Those illiterates commenting up who want to look like oyinbo do not know it's because of the toxic okirikas that textile industry collapsed in Nigeria.

Textile industry used to be the largest employer of labour in Nigeria. Millions of jobs have been lost because of trade liberalization agenda that allow all rubish from other countries to be dumbed into Nigeria. R

If we produce and sew almost all we wear here we would enjoy these benefits among others:

1. Millions of jobs lost will be recreated

2. Most youth will be gainfully employed and thus reduce crime especially insurgency in the North

3. Naira will gain strength

4. Health hazard as a result of wearing toxic clothese will be averted.

5, Nigerian fashion brands will grow

Hope those who want to eat their tomorrow today will understand.

abeg rest!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man In Suit Selling Tiger Nuts (Photos) / Fire Outbreak At Balogun Market In Lagos State (Photos, Video) / Femi Otedola & Folorunsho Alakija Dance At Daisy Danjuma's 65th Birthday Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.