Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,183 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up (21870 Views)

Seven Major Causes Of Divorce In Nigeria / The Plight Of Kids In The Midst Of Divorce And Separation / Kayan Mata, Cause Of Alarming Rate Of Divorce In Abuja, Other States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by Media145(m): 8:24pm On Jun 12, 2023

Do you know the reason why the divorce rate is very high?

It's because their parents were bitterly separated or divorced.

If your parents were divorced, the likelihood of getting a divorce in your marriage is very high.

If your parents or grandparents were divorced or had issues in their marriage, the likelihood of divorce is very high.

So that is the reason why you see a lot of divorce nowadays.

It is usually a problem associated with bloodline which comes from generation to generation.

Don't think it's ordinary.

So what do you think about these issues?

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by taylor89(m): 8:27pm On Jun 12, 2023
Your parents living together till death isn’t a yardstick for good marriage

The reason for divorce and bad marriages of today na material things

You used your C300 Benz of 12million to snatch a hustling guys babe and tomorrow you’ll expect her to be faithful when a man who divers 2022 Lexus LX600 of 80 million

Another reason is too much of sexual expectations in marriages

Man would dump his organic wife at the sight of a big ass BBL lady

Woman will dump her organic man looking for a billionaire with 6 packs that has cucumber penis that can last 80hrs

The other day I overheard a woman defending her promiscuous act shouting on top of her voice that she cheated because her husband doesn’t give her head

I shock. Bcuz since them born me till today I never hear my mom telling my dad to give him head

Who invented this head giving sef

You can’t even use the word head in public again unless you have to be specific like head of charger head of fish head of family

240 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by Media145(m): 8:32pm On Jun 12, 2023
Two people who loved each other so much in the past now turned against themselves and have now become bitter enemies after some years. So do you think this is ordinary?

Note:
If you want to secure your financial future and earn massive monthly income in digital publishing,, then make sure you buy this book displayed below right now, because it reveals all the secrets you need to make money online in digital publishing. It's your sure bet to making regular monthly income for life to secure your financial future for life.

This is a bestselling book by the bestselling author David Samuel. Check it out below and the book link to buy it right now is on my signature. Or you can search for it through Google.

Ref:: Copyright © by bestselling author David Samuel. These posts on this Thread are all copyright by the author David Samuel, 2023. All rights reserved.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:20pm On Jun 12, 2023
ARRANT NONSENSE!!!!!

there are more divorces today simply because...
A) its easy to get divorced today, compared to back in the days. in the past most of these women were jobless and couldnt divorce their husbands, but today, most women are gainfully employed and can manage to be on their own.
B) people marry for the wrong reasons, thanks to African culture/society....aka marriage because of RELIGIOUS/SOCIAL/FAMILY/PEER PRESSURE!
C) because lots of people have NO CLUE how hard it is to stay happily married. marriage aint a game and sadly, many only figure that out when its too late
D) because people are lazy!!!! so many were pretending to be who they were not (before marriage), in order to catch the right partner....and now that they are married, they dont need to pretend any longer,thats when their partner will discover the real character of their spouse. and sometimes it aint that great
E) what do you expect when you have so many women out there that are so FAKE (fake hair, fake foundation, fake eyelashes, fake nails, fake push up bras, fake padded underwear, fake accent, fake education, fake background etc)? some men only discover the true face of their partner after marriage, and it aint that great
F) so many women enter marriage as slim sexy princesses, and within 2/3 years (or kids) they end up looking like a baby whale version of shrek, and you wonder why so many men aint repulse by their wives?!
G) many people today marry SOLELY for money, and when a man with MORE money comes along and/or their spouse loses their money, then the marriage will rightfully be over.

95 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by talented321: 10:42pm On Jun 12, 2023
'If your parent are divorced, you are also likely to get divorced in your marriage'. Oga this your write up is very wrong, first the world has changed compared to those days of our forefathes, imagine a guy paying a woman 200k or more for one night, it will be very hard for that woman to last with a man especially when thing go sour in the marriage, all because she have another alternative, i don't want to type much but just accept it that the world has changed and nothing is going to stop it, but it will get worsen day by day. Social media is one of the problem.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by Socratiz: 10:45pm On Jun 12, 2023
It is unfortunate that this generation is always looking for scapegoats. Rather than take personal responsibility for their choices and actions, they shift the blame on their ancestors.

You are fully responsible for all your life choices. If a couple decide to make their marriage work, nothing can separate them.

Marriage is not sustained by bloodline.

Coming from the highest pedigree of humanity is not a guarantee that you will have a successful marriage unless you choose to. Please stop this blame game.

I have seen people from broken homes with wonderful marriages and people from "unbroken" homes whose marriages have collapsed.

Life respects choices. It is the type of marriage you choose that you will have.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by Media145(m): 1:03am On Jun 13, 2023
Hmmmm...

I see.
Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by Tallesty1(m): 4:24am On Jun 13, 2023
MrBrownJay1:
ARRANT NONSENSE!!!!!

there are more divorces today simply because...
A) its easy to get divorced today, compared to back in the days. in the past most of these women were jobless and couldnt divorce their husbands, but today, most women are gainfully employed and can manage to be on their own.
B) people marry for the wrong reasons, thanks to African culture/society....aka marriage because of RELIGIOUS/SOCIAL/FAMILY/PEER PRESSURE!
C) because lots of people have NO CLUE how hard it is to stay happily married. marriage aint a game and sadly, many only figure that out when its too late
D) because people are lazy!!!! so many were pretending to be who they were not (before marriage), in order to catch the right partner....and now that they are married, they dont need to pretend any longer,thats when their partner will discover the real character of their spouse. and sometimes it aint that great
E) what do you expect when you have so many women out there that are so FAKE (fake hair, fake foundation, fake eyelashes, fake nails, fake push up bras, fake padded underwear, fake accent, fake education, fake background etc)? some men only discover the true face of their partner after marriage, and it aint that great
F) so many women enter marriage as slim sexy princesses, and within 2/3 years (or kids) they end up looking like a baby whale version of shrek, and you wonder why so many men aint repulse by their wives?!
G) many people today marry SOLELY for money, and when a man with MORE money comes along and/or their spouse loses their money, then the marriage will rightfully be over.
Some of your points are merely circulating ideas that sound right and are assumed to be true, but surprisingly, they are not.

Starting with point A, there has never been a time in the history of humanity where women in Nigeria, for instance, were jobless. Even when men were primarily engaged in farming, wine tapping, and similar activities, women were actively involved in farming and trading.

Your point B is even more ridiculous. It is highly unlikely to find African countries listed among the top 20 countries with the highest divorce rates. Marriages tend to endure in Africa due to cultural and religious influences. No white woman anywhere could endure the challenges that someone like Kabiru's mother faces. No white woman could remain married solely because of her faith, her pastor, her church or her tradition as Chioma's mother does, and so on.

There are several reasons for the high divorce rate today, and one of them is selfishness, which is now often referred to as self-love. People are primarily focused on what makes them feel right and what benefits them, without considering the needs of others. Ask a woman what a real man is and watch how the qualities of a real man that she will list will revolve around serving her needs.

Don't ask a man such questions please, his answer will knock you off completely.

Another reason is romantic love. This notion can be destructive. In the past, when marriages lasted longer, people viewed romantic love as a form of illness. That's one of the reasons why Romeo and Juliet was written. Shakespeare intended to warn people to stay away from it. Romeo and Juliet is not a romantic tale; it was written as a cautionary tale to steer clear of such love.

Ask 20 people to define love, and each of them will give you a unique definition. Ask the same people the same question ten years later, and you will see that their idea of what love is has changed. Therefore, marrying because you love someone without considering compatibility adaptability, shared values, and a strong foundation is akin to marrying an amoeba based on its current shape.

The shape will inevitably change, and you will be fvcked

Additionally, there are unhealthy relationships, poor values, irresponsible partners, weak men etc................

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by Media145(m): 7:14am On Jun 13, 2023
Great arguments here.

Marriage is a serious business.

Let's all proffer solutions to why this great institution is breaking every day.

Let's discuss these issues in details.

Give your opinions.

Drop your comments.

Let's discuss it thoroughly.

Let everyone reading this contribute to this issue.

You are all welcome.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by talented321: 7:36am On Jun 13, 2023
[quote author=Tallesty1 post=123758007][font=garamond]

Starting with point A, there has never been a time in the history of humanity where women in Nigeria, for instance, were jobless. Even when men were primarily engaged in farming, wine tapping, and similar activities, women were actively involved in farming and trading,'
I love this your statement because when growing up as a kid i see alot marriage where women hardly ask their husbands for cash just because they into farming or trading, imagine a woman living in a camp with her husband tapping palm wine, but today now palm wine tappers may not have the courage to call some women talkless of toast, many women today are lazy and entitled unlike those days, if you tell some women to do business where as you are the one to give her the cash but they will boldly tell u that they can't stress their selves. And many men just look after yansh and face. people should just accept it that the world has changed.
Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:25am On Jun 13, 2023
Tallesty1:
[font=garamond]Some of your points are merely circulating ideas that sound right and are assumed to be true, but surprisingly, they are not.
Starting with point A, there has never been a time in the history of humanity where women in Nigeria, for instance, were jobless. Even when men were primarily engaged in farming, wine tapping, and similar activities, women were actively involved in farming and trading.

as much as some of these women had little hustle back in the days, they certainly didnt make enough money to be on their own and sustain their children. today, many of these women have proper jobs that can sustain an entire family....

Your point B is even more ridiculous. It is highly unlikely to find African countries listed among the top 20 countries with the highest divorce rates. Marriages tend to endure in Africa due to cultural and religious influences. No white woman anywhere could endure the challenges that someone like Kabiru's mother faces. No white woman could remain married solely because of her faith, her pastor, her church or her tradition as Chioma's mother does, and so on.

the subject of this conversation certainly aint "what African women can endure that white women cant"....thus i couldnt care less about what white women can endure in marriage and instead i am merely telling you why the rate of divorce in Nigeria/Africa is higher today than in the past. MARRIAGE IN NIGERIA IS A DO OR DIE MISSION, BECAUSE MARRIAGE IN NIGERIAN/AFRICAN SOCIETY IS SYNONYMOUS WITH HAPPINESS (even if these people are miserable). sadly, many people who got pressured into these "sometimes" miserable marriage, realize after marriage that they aint happy, and subsequently, divorce sharp sharp. in the past, the stigma/shame of being divorced would keep these miserable people married forever, but not today. today divorce is "glamorized" and divorced women are flaunting their newfound freedom status everywhere, as if they won the lottery!

There are several reasons for the high divorce rate today, and one of them is selfishness, which is now often referred to as self-love. People are primarily focused on what makes them feel right and what benefits them, without considering the needs of others. Ask a woman what a real man is and watch how the qualities of a real man that she will list will revolve around serving her needs.

i beg to differ.... a person need to love themselves before they can fully embrace the ideology of "love thy family" and be a great mother/wife. in the past many women gave up their identity/character to get married because they were force fed to believe since birth that finding a good man to marry was their "purpose in life", but women of today (although they are still force fed since birth that finding a good man is their eldorado) have no problem walking away with their dignity rather than being stuck in a miserable marriage, wHere they are unhappy/abused/disrespected etc. women of today aint women of the past... back in the days they were in the shadows raising children and taking care of the home, nowadays they wanna do the same thing while being in the limelight, standing proudly next to hubby, wanting to make family decision too (aka want to be as equal as a man)... and you wonder why there are more divorces today?!

Another reason is romantic love. This notion can be destructive. In the past, when marriages lasted longer, people viewed romantic love as a form of illness. That's one of the reasons why Romeo and Juliet was written. Shakespeare intended to warn people to stay away from it. Romeo and Juliet is not a romantic tale; it was written as a cautionary tale to steer clear of such love.

the above is exactly the issue i was raising in my point A and B, aka people marrying for the wrong reasons. if more people got married for love today, more marriages would last the time, rather than these yeye marriages today that are built on yeye foundations. back in the days, women were also stuck in these miserable marriages, and the stigma of being a divorce woman in Nigerian society would keep them miserable forever... but now that many of these independent woman can hold their own and provide for their children, they'd rather walk away than being miserable/abused/disrespected for life.

Ask 20 people to define love, and each of them will give you a unique definition. Ask the same people the same question ten years later, and you will see that their idea of what love is has changed. Therefore, marrying because you love someone without considering compatibility adaptability, shared values, and a strong foundation is akin to marrying an amoeba based on its current shape.

love is just ONE of the foundations needed in order to have a lasting marriage... you also need respect/compatibility/security/companionship/character/values etc. ask the majority of Nigerians today what is their #1 NEED before getting married to someone, and the majority will say MONEY.... yet ask them the same question 10yrs later and they will give you a different answer. thats because Marriage is a journey where two people grow together as one. OF COURSE, you cannot expect these people to have the same views after growing 10yrs together, but one thing is certain: if love is not present in that marriage, then chances are a person would easily walk away than if love is present.

6 Likes

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by Gloriagee(f): 8:48am On Jun 13, 2023
Well, I think there're a lot of generalization and assumptions embedded in your statement. If the high rate of divorces is cos their forbears divorced or seperated, then why did their forbears divorce or seperate as well? If the rate of divorce and seperation has been relatively unchanged from grandfathers who transferred to father to current husband or wife, what makes you think the rate of divorce is high afterall its been like that from the time of grandfathers?

2 Likes

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by Media145(m): 9:06am On Jun 13, 2023
Moderators, please move this to the front page so that a lot of people can benefit.

This is a very important topic that everyone needs to learn from.

Cc: RoyalRoy
Mynd44
Dominque
Seun
AOM4J

2 Likes

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by Tallesty1(m): 10:37am On Jun 13, 2023
MrBrownJay1:
I beg to differ....
It is your fundamental human right chief grin grin grin
MrBrownJay1:

A person need to love themselves before they can fully embrace the ideology of "love thy family" and be a great mother/wife.
We already love ourselves enough, anybody telling you otherwise is not being honest. Except in a case of mental or psychological problems, humans have self love. It comes naturally. Any person that gives out all his property in act selflessness or starts treating himself poorly[as some depressed people do] needs help, but down here, you are either mad or you are okay. Nobody that is all round okay loves anybody more than himself, folks commit suicide because they love themselves.

"I am going through some shit and I don't deserve none of this. I love myself too much to watch me go through this. I have done my best and it ain't working so imma put an end to it one way or the other"

And they self terminate.

We genuinely love ourselves already bro.

If a person has esteem issues, let them work on it.

If a person doesn't know how to say stop or when to say no, let him work on his value system. You gats set boundaries, you gats reject something.

When you start prioritizing self love cum self care, you are simply rationalizing selfishness.
MrBrownJay1:

in the past many women gave up their identity/character to get married because they were force fed to believe since birth that finding a good man to marry was their "purpose in life",
Which identity fah? Professional Identity? What would they have been? hunter, wine tapper? wrestler? warrior?
Being the wife of one these men was a big enough identity back then.

When civilization got to them, women were not left behind. Women have always been will forever continue to be the breadwinner in many homes and you will not hear this outside. Don't say it is because they never had money, they have always been able to cater for themselves and their children.
MrBrownJay1:

but women of today (although they are still force fed since birth that finding a good man is their eldorado) have no problem walking away with their dignity rather than being stuck in a miserable marriage, were they are unhappy/abused/disrespected etc.
Who force fed them this sh1t?

You are making it seem like it is only women that experience this unhappiness, disrespect and abuse in marriage.

Unhappiness? Do you know that a woman making more money than her husband will make her unhappy? Should she divorce then? Well some do, don't make it seem like when successful women leave, it is because of the man. There is been a change in our value system, society has made it seem like more is better and contentment is a myth so some women go for more and more. A obese woman is likely to file for divorce after losing weight.

What women get after divorce in western world is enough reason to file for divorce.

Marriage back then was for a defined purpose, I provide for you and you raise my kids. That simple.

People marry for shitty reasons now. the sex too hot damn, let's get married.

People don't even vet their partners, s/he is nice to me, I wanna marry him/her. Forgetting that a person being nice to you doesn't maen the person is a nice. What feels good is always good.

Back then, men became men before marriage, now kids are marrying kids

You see people having a grand time online while their partner is going through some shit with nobody to talk to.

And while you are having one of those life sucks moment, you come online only to see your friend posting a short of him and his always selfie ready wife even though their lives suck more than yours.

Times have changed bro, divorce happen for a lot of reasons bro and while women having money and education is part of it, it is not a major reason because women are still being treated that way and they are still there and many women are making like unbearable for their husbands too.

MrBrownJay1:

women of today aint women of the past... back in the days they were in the shadows raising children and taking care of the home, nowadays they wanna do the same thing while being in the limelight, standing proudly next to hubby, wanting to make family decision too (aka want to be as equal as a man)... and you wonder why there are more divorces today?!
Like seriuosly?

How is a woman standing proudly beside her husband a problem? Not where I come from because over here we dey use our wives show off.

Wanting to make family decision is not the same as being equal to a man. People who think like that are sick. Women make family decisions all the time, only a sick man will see a problem there. Make I ask my wife not be folk tales.

A woman who submits to a sane husband makes most of the family decisions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by fixitbyjal(m): 10:42am On Jun 13, 2023
;

I TRACK lost or stolen devices
A TRIAL will convince you
Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by Dshocker(m): 10:42am On Jun 13, 2023
Husbands and wives don't tolerate each other again and can break up over little or petty things.

1 Like

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by Nobody: 10:42am On Jun 13, 2023
Social media also plays a big factor and has a huge influence on womens behaviour especially...they take advice from blessing CEO and nkechi blessing etc and think that marriage will last?

Also most women dont really know what marriage is..most just see it as poverty alleviation scheme and an Avenue to find men who will pick up their baggage

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by Divoc19(f): 10:42am On Jun 13, 2023
Disadvantage of inter ethnic marriage. smiley

1 Like

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by AntiChristian: 10:43am On Jun 13, 2023
The reasons are many!

1. Guys are looking for a Super Model while ladies await a super man!
2. Ladies wanna cook for fame instead of cooking for the family! (This may be symbolic.)
3. Ladies wanna lead the home!
4. Some men are failing in their responsibility of care!
5. Both were looking for perfection but no one is perfect!
6. Deceit is rife!
7. Cheating is rife!
8. Commitment is low among us!
9. Poverty is another big cause of divorce!
10. Some don't even know what they want in marriage!
11. Communication is too minimal!

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by Sleekfingers: 10:43am On Jun 13, 2023
Media145:

Thrash
Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by bigdammyj: 10:43am On Jun 13, 2023
Reading...

1 Like

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by ppogba: 10:44am On Jun 13, 2023
stereotypical nonsense.

Your marriage will fail because your come from a seperated home?

Too early fpr this nonsense abeg.

Create a better topic if likes they hungry you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by Akwamkpuruamu: 10:44am On Jun 13, 2023
Poor understanding of what marriage is! The teachings of gender equality taken into marriage, destroyed the marriage institution. No way a man and a woman can be coequal in marriage. It could be possible in any other institution but marriage

3 Likes

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by WantsandMore: 10:44am On Jun 13, 2023
Media145:

Stop the oversimplification of divorce cases, it's more complex than that plus economic factors play a significant role, see the case of Portugal Divorce cases from 90's till date viz a viz their economic decline.
Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by GreatAchiever1: 10:45am On Jun 13, 2023
When you remove God from your marriage and replace it with feelings, what do you expect?

5 Likes

Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by LadyExcellency: 10:46am On Jun 13, 2023
Immaturity
Re: Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up by nexta007(m): 10:47am On Jun 13, 2023
My reasons
1. Lack of acknowledging the Author of the institution called Marriage.
2. Lack of the basic knowledge provided by the Author to guide the system.
3. Mixing the truth with our culture.
4. Selfishness.
5. Influence from anti-marriage agents.
6. Pride.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

This Elderly Man, Columbus Ihemekwele Is Missing (PHOTO) / How Much Of Your Children Do You Know? / Omotola-jalade Ekeinde's On Her Marriage And Gender Equality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.