Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,766 members, 7,851,613 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:49 AM

Hypertension A Silent Killer - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hypertension A Silent Killer (159 Views)

High Blood Pressure, A "Silent Killer " Ignored By Young Adult / 5 Silent Killer Diseases You Must Know / Hypertension (high Blood Pressure)........a Silent Killer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hypertension A Silent Killer by Drchindo: 8:53am On Jun 14, 2023
After going through this
https://www.nairaland.com/7726449/when-last-did-check-blood

I decided to take my time and talk about hypertension as a health challenge,I will try my best not to use medical jargons

Hypertension by definition it means that your blood is pumping with more force than normal through your arteries.
Your blood pressure is said to be high when it above 140/90
Some people don't understand this figure the heart has two phase systolic phase when the heart pumps blood and the diastolic phase when the heart received blood
Hypertension is diagnosed when the systolic blood pressure is above 140 and diastolic pressure is above 90 ...(For proper diagnosis it must be done atleast three times 12 hours apart) normal blood pressure is said to be 120/80

Why is hypertension said to be a silent killer, unlike other illness eg malaria that present with symptoms (fever, headache, chills, rigor), hypertension may not present with any symptom until it get complicated ...

What are the complications of hypertension
(Just to list a few)
1. Stroke
2. Myocardial infarction (heart attack)
3. It cause the heart to fail
4. It causes kidney problem
5. It destroy the eyes
I will like to talk about this complications

Stroke also called cerebrovascular accident (two type hemorrhage and ischaemic)
Hemorrhage stroke is common in hypertension patient due to fact that the pressure in the arteries are to large the small arteries can rupture leading to bleeding inside the brain and the part supplied by that ruptured artery will be deprived of blood supply which causes cell death

Myocardial infarction (heart attack) I like to explain it like this when someone start going to the gym and lifting heavy substances the muscle start to increase the same thing happens in the heart due to the increase pressure on the arterials the heart increase it work which lead to increase heart muscle. If this continues the blood supply to the heart muscle won't be enough and it lead to muscle death (infarction)
Re: Hypertension A Silent Killer by Drchindo: 8:54am On Jun 14, 2023
Heart failure
The heart is said to fail when the pumping action cannot supply sufficient blood to the body ...
In hypertension the pressure is high in arterials the heart try to compensate by increasing the muscle mass. At a point it cannot continue it start failing meaning it cannot meet it primary function, blood returning from the body cannot enter the heart fluid start accumulating in the lungs, leg and abdomen

Kidney disease
It has same mechanism with that of stroke. Due to increase pressure arteries can rupture in the kidney leading to kidney disease

Retinopathy
Also rupture of very small arteries in the retinal can lead to edema microaneurysm or hemorrhage in the retinal and can cause serious eye effect
Re: Hypertension A Silent Killer by Drchindo: 8:54am On Jun 14, 2023
How do I check my blood pressure
U don't need a doctor to that any trained health worker can easily check it.

My final advise, I have seen people with complications and I don't wish that for anybody know know your blood pressure today and avoid stories
Re: Hypertension A Silent Killer by Drchindo: 9:23am On Jun 14, 2023
lala Seun Mynd4
Re: Hypertension A Silent Killer by Omihanifa: 9:40am On Jun 14, 2023
Drchindo how can one manage high blood pressure?

Does high sugar level contribute to rise in BP?what are the drugs used in managing HBP?

(1) (Reply)

13 Strategies To Make A Narcissist Miserable | Unleash Your Power | Narcissist / Natural Supplements Health And Wellness / Pay Attention To These 3 Warning Signs On Your Underwear For Possible Prostatiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.