Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,029 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:00 AM

Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 (37439 Views)

Deji Akinyanju Is The Founder of Chicken Republic / Over 91 Million Bank Accounts At Risk Of Deactivation As CBN's BVN/NIN Deadline / Man Slumps & Dies At Bank In Delta After Waiting Several Hours To Withdraw Cash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by airsaylongcome: 7:36pm On Jun 16, 2023
Omo! The number of people this man business touch nobi here o.

Olu
Na
Winch
After
Reading
Devil

Book
In
Ghana

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by youngrichnigga: 7:37pm On Jun 16, 2023
RIP sir,most scholars in Nigeria don't know him but we all know his products, sun re o. So many fake paper prints now with substandard quality and reduced quantity. Now 80 leaves is like 40 leaves and also poor paper quality undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

12 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Omoawoke: 7:37pm On Jun 16, 2023
He lived ripe
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by 001Lagos: 7:37pm On Jun 16, 2023
bikefab:
If you used this book, you should have grandchildren by now...
Lies

I used this book and I'm in my early 30's

10 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by INTEGRITYA1(m): 7:38pm On Jun 16, 2023
Rest on old man, your legacy live on.

Onward Books, back then when we have price friendly couple with quality and quantity respectively.

I went to buy big notes not quite long for School Children, when the seller gave me 60 leaves at the rate of N2,700 per pack (Dozen)

A piece of the 60 leaves look exactly like 20 leaves of those days.

I asked the seller again if what he gave me was 60 leaves and he responded in affirmative manner. At that point I was shaking my head.

9 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by engineerkola: 7:38pm On Jun 16, 2023
If you used onward, you should be at least 30 years old by now. I said at least. I know people in their 50s used it too

10 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 16, 2023
cheesy Gen Zs won't understand

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:40pm On Jun 16, 2023
Melezenawii:
Chief M.A. Obagun, the founder of Onward Paper Mill, has d*ed at the age of 91.

May his soul rest in peace .

He founded Onward Stationery in 1953. He started buying and selling paper just after leaving school.

First, he bought locally, then grew to begin getting wholesale imports.

In 1973, he launched Onward Paper Mill, makers of the legendary exercise books Onward Notebook.

He is a native of Epe, Lagos State

https://twitter.com/Yorubaness/status/1669325006080278529

Wow!

This Baba really made impact o!

He went toe-to-toe with FG-owned Nigerian Paper Mill situated in Jebba that basically had a monopoly in the seventies, and, as far as I am concerned, he won by producing better quality notebooks.

Baba, rest on.

We who know and appreciate you, salute you.

20 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by jlo247(m): 7:40pm On Jun 16, 2023
inoki247:
Onward, HB Pencil, Big Biro and Eleganza the only tools wey dey sell back den....
Bic biro and big biro
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by VIKTO83(m): 7:41pm On Jun 16, 2023
The business strategy these kind of people employed that made ordinary exercise book go round d country must be top notch.
This book was used by virtually everyone that went to school as at d time

17 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Auxtin85(m): 7:41pm On Jun 16, 2023
chigoziri2403:
I can't forget the image on this book
I always thought he was Solomon grundy

I and everyone in my class concluded he is a man burning in hell. It’s about 5 years ago I got to know that’s Emmanuel Ifeajuna the first Nigeria Olympic Medalist in high jump

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by SisterFire(f): 7:41pm On Jun 16, 2023
Akwamkpuruamu:
Onward paper with the pix of that man with broken leg in 2B, writing note book. I used it die.

Even the mathematics that was Ruled in square boxes. I don't even know of such notes exists today
funny he is jumping in an olympic not broken legs cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:42pm On Jun 16, 2023
engineerkola:
If you used onward, you should be at least 30 years old by now. I said at least. I know people in their 50s used it too

Mostly people in their forties and fifties know these notebooks best.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Internetsombody: 7:42pm On Jun 16, 2023
ONWARD BIG = Olu Na Witch After Reading Devil's Book In Ghana.

2 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Oritna94(m): 7:43pm On Jun 16, 2023
Chai. I remember this.. It brings back memories. They had quality books then. We can't say the same thing with the substandard books they keep churning out now

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Prenonjebose: 7:43pm On Jun 16, 2023
Very popular in those days
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Lama70(m): 7:43pm On Jun 16, 2023
One of those men that did real business that brought in good cash without fear.

But things have changed.

With the whole of that business and not everyone knew his name. Legendary businessman.

It's subsidy that our present crop of businessmen are hustling. Shameless people.

You came.
You saw.
You conquered.

Your soul lives on, Chief Obagun.
RIP.

7 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by piyoo91: 7:44pm On Jun 16, 2023
chigoziri2403:
I can't forget the image on this book
I always thought he was Solomon grundy
you just remind me of my early days in nursery school. Fatima nursery and primary school Gusau, then under sokoto state. the school was own by missionaries from catholic church. kai, i don old fa

2 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Lemos14: 7:44pm On Jun 16, 2023
Rip
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Zezco(m): 7:44pm On Jun 16, 2023
Hmm hmm Na great grand children I have.
bikefab:
If you used this book, you should have grandchildren by now...
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Benediction777: 7:45pm On Jun 16, 2023
You're Valid man!!! New generation children no know this..

[quote author=Desire18 post=1238421

If you attended school in Nigeria around the 80s and 90s, i am sure you used one of his exercise books with the following acronyms.

O - Ole
N - Ni
W - Wale
A - Aji
R - Ruler
D - Dada

B - Baba
I - Iya
G - Gani

E - Ede
X - Xtimes
E - Ede
R - Remi
C - Coni
I - Iya
S - Segun
E - Elere

B - Boolu
O - Odabo
O - Odabo
K - Kayode

May the gentle soul of the Industrialist rest in peace. [/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Goddyrichie(m): 7:45pm On Jun 16, 2023
Melezenawii:
Chief M.A. Obagun, the founder of Onward Paper Mill, has d*ed at the age of 91.

May his soul rest in peace .

He founded Onward Stationery in 1953. He started buying and selling paper just after leaving school.

First, he bought locally, then grew to begin getting wholesale imports.

In 1973, he launched Onward Paper Mill, makers of the legendary exercise books Onward Notebook.

He is a native of Epe, Lagos State

https://twitter.com/Yorubaness/status/1669325006080278529
so I don Dey old and I never build house 🏠 buy car 🚘 born pinkin πŸ‘¨β€πŸ‘©β€πŸ‘§β€πŸ‘§ Yet God abeg πŸ™ no forget ur son

2 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:45pm On Jun 16, 2023
Akwamkpuruamu:
Onward paper with the pix of that man with broken leg in 2B, writing note book. I used it die.

Even the mathematics that was Ruled in square boxes. I don't even know of such notes exists today

Bruh!
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

That picture was an acknowledgement of Emmanuel Ifeajuna, the first man to win a medal for Nigeria at the Commonwealth Games.

He won a silver for the high jump.

He later went on to become the infamous Major Ifeajuna of the 1966 coup, who was executed by Odumegwu Ojukwu at the final days of the Civil War.

9 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by xynerise: 7:47pm On Jun 16, 2023
When you buy a new Onward book, to write on it will be like you are on cloud 9 grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Benediction777: 7:47pm On Jun 16, 2023
If you're born in the 70s and early 80s den u go sabi this lyrics..Memory lane.

Benediction777:

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by dododawa1: 7:47pm On Jun 16, 2023
Omoluabi YORUBA
God bless NIGERIA and NIGERIANS.

2 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Flangelo12: 7:47pm On Jun 16, 2023
Legend.

Rest well papa.
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by spencekat(m): 7:47pm On Jun 16, 2023
Those guys who always say if you use this book and you are not married will appear here..
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Desire18: 7:48pm On Jun 16, 2023
Benediction777:

I be woman ooπŸ€“πŸ€“πŸ€“

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by sweetkev(m): 7:48pm On Jun 16, 2023
inoki247:
Onward, HB Pencil, Big Biro and Eleganza the only tools wey dey sell back den....
Not big biro but bic biro. You this old man grin

5 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by eepeepook: 7:48pm On Jun 16, 2023
If he finds a way to come back, I wouldn’t mind receiving a loaf of bread.
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by iampeterben(m): 7:49pm On Jun 16, 2023
May his soul rest in peace sir!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar / Is N50,000 Enough To Startup A Barbing Saloon? / Banks Issue, Reject Deposits Of Old Notes By Customers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.