Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,179 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

..... - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / ..... (4988 Views)

Expert Advice On Building A Site From Scratch Or Choosing A Template. / I Want To Build CMS News Website, Your Price Please? / Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

..... by Ymodulus: 4:22pm On Oct 02, 2011
Re: ..... by avosoft: 7:52pm On Oct 02, 2011
there is no need to reinvent the wheel, use existing ones
Re: ..... by cenmegasys: 11:59pm On Oct 02, 2011
You can build on existing framework, that will be better and faster.
Re: ..... by yawatide(f): 12:06am On Oct 03, 2011
to add to what favo just said, unless you know for a fact that the existing ones don't have what you need, then don't reinvent the wheel.

An example:
I used to go to school with a guy who is a lawyer.  All of a sudden, he decided he wanted to be a coder, started from year 1, though he could have done it for master's.  He got laughed at cos ppl thought he was setting himself up for failure.  

Long story short, he ended up being one of the go-to guys, worldwide for JAVA.  About  a year into his studies, he wanted to do something with PhotoShop but it wasn't quite giving him what he wanted.  What did he do? He ended up coding his own version of PhotoShop, in JAVA.  Now, bear in mind that this was when JAVA was in its infancy and had, maybe, 500 classes.  We had to do simple things like square root manually.

So again, unless it is absolutely necessary, don't reinvent the wheel. Just like cenmegasys says, worse case, you can always build upon an existing one.
Re: ..... by mrperfect(m): 6:10pm On Oct 07, 2011
If you have the time and there is special uniqueness you are aiming at, build from scratch if you can.
Re: ..... by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 11, 2011
Re: ..... by dhtml1(m): 10:15pm On Oct 11, 2011
It all depends on what you are trying to do.

As for me:
I can use cms, i can use dreamweaver, i can code from scratch, i can use frameworks.

It is the nature of the job that determines what method i use. I use whichever method is fastest
and that will solve the problem most efficiently - and earn me money faster.
Re: ..... by deco2come: 12:21am On Oct 20, 2011
It all depend on your choice. I like starting from scratch because it gives me the privileged to learn new things. Besides that, I noticed that all the top guns in internet like Google, Paypal, Facebook, Baidu, Yahoo, Ebay, Amazon, etc all coded 90% of their program from scratch without the use of already made frameworks.

If you are working i.e a website designer/programmer than you should use frameworks because it will save you a lot of time.

But if your goal is to invent something new in the web programming world, then you should always right from scratch. Take a look at Drupal, Joomla, PhpBB, even Simple Machine used by nairaland and many others, the founders all wrote from scratch.
Re: ..... by deco2come: 12:26am On Oct 20, 2011
It all depend on your choice. I like starting from scratch because it gives me the privileged to learn new things. Besides that, I noticed that all the top guns in internet like Google, Paypal, Facebook, Baidu, Yahoo, Ebay, Amazon, etc all coded 90% of their program from scratch without the use of already made frameworks.

If you are working i.e a website designer/programmer than you should use frameworks because it will save you a lot of time.

But if your goal is to invent something new in the web programming world, then you should always right from scratch. Take a look at Drupal, Joomla, PhpBB, even Simple Machine used by nairaland and many others, the founders all wrote from scratch.
Re: ..... by moderatorr: 12:34am On Oct 20, 2011
@op
follow your mind.
Your soul knows the way.

After years of web garbaging i made a new year resolution this year
#use only my own stuffs.

Well, i have made a university portal software.
And on sunday, i started coding my own cms.had some delays.
It will be ready tonight or tomorrow morning.
#am so damn fast these days.
*i've learnt alot doing it myself
Jet li speed. Bruce lee's perception. Myke tyson's delivery.

I will start amazing my clients with 48hrs delivery.
My life.my maney. My own software.

My cms will be opensource!
I'll release the link to you guys tomorrow.
And hey! Its a young, sexy girl !
Re: ..... by ektbear: 2:55am On Oct 20, 2011
avosoft:

there is no need to reinvent the wheel, use existing ones

+1.

Takes a lot of man-hours to develop good software. May as well leverage existing work and build upon it rather than building yet another half-baked CMS.

Unless the point of this is educational. In which case, by all means implement your own.
Re: ..... by Nymphnode(m): 3:10am On Oct 20, 2011
Afraid don catch me before o. I thought fashola is planning to level CMS/OBALENDE. Ha! Computer people. . . CMS:-D
Re: ..... by femi4: 5:44am On Oct 20, 2011
I tot the thread is about OBALENDE/CMS
Re: ..... by FEMARY(m): 7:55am On Oct 20, 2011
This router works great with all network modems

Re: ..... by steezzcom: 11:21am On Oct 20, 2011
I use asp .net 2 code so when I needed a CMS for steezz.com I had 2 build from scratch wit d help of a friend. If u hav to build frm scratch do but it shouldn't be choice number one. I did mine cos dotnet nuke didn't meet my need.
Re: ..... by NET1(m): 4:31pm On Oct 20, 2011
@steez, apart from dotNetNuke, which other CMS can one use together with ASP.NET. I ask this because dotNetNuke seems not to be giving me what I want.

.NET
Re: ..... by Revolva(m): 6:01pm On Oct 20, 2011
I thought it was the CMS Bustop on the Island , Hisss
Re: ..... by webmpro(m): 6:31pm On Oct 20, 2011
You all are making points here, i think it depends on the nature of your job, i mean what you expect to have, the functionality looks, and flexibility.

Meanwhile is anyone here willing to teach me High level PHP and ASP.NET free?
Any volunteer?

Please call 08033394660
Re: ..... by NET1(m): 7:05pm On Oct 20, 2011
webmpro:

You all are making points here, i think it depends on the nature of your job, i mean what you expect to have, the functionality looks, and flexibility.

Any volunteer?

Please call 08033394660

lol grin grin
Re: ..... by atlantisls: 9:29pm On Oct 20, 2011
Build on existing code. Don't kill yourself. grin
Re: ..... by binkabir(m): 8:15am On Oct 21, 2011
.NET:

lol grin grin
webmpro:

Any volunteer?

Please call 08033394660
free things must times dont have value to the person learning. wink
guy take the pains and drop somethings so that you know u have make some effort to acquire it. grin
Re: ..... by DualCore1: 10:11am On Oct 21, 2011
Lagos people, LWKMD.  I can imagine the shock from residents of the said "CMS" area.

Back to topic. Use what you want, just deliver what you and your client have agreed upon. . . be ready to deliver too when the client wants you to update the application with a winch flying inside the search textbox. Hope I don't see you zoom past me in GoogleSpace with the keyword "joomla winch plugin" on your tail.

Personally I build from scratch cuz to use CMS I will have have to learn how to write extensions (cuz I know there are no ready made extensions to do what I do, how i do). I also choose writing from scratch so when a client calls for me to update the site with a winch flying. . . I don't even break a sweat cuz na me write every line and na me know where I go put that winch and if she no fly. . . oh well i'm the master of my codes so the winch must fly.  grin

P.S: I envy those who can code from scratch and also can code completely their CMS. Its a beauty of both worlds. . . . but I like my thing my way  tongue
Re: ..... by WebSurfer(m): 10:17am On Oct 21, 2011
@moderatorr, can u send me d link to incredible_9ja@yahoo.com thanks
Re: ..... by Ymodulus: 10:42am On Oct 21, 2011
i love your opinions. I am building from scratch already. I came to find out somethiing am using the mvc approach using an internal php routing system which generates nice url without mod rewrite just like drupal of which Egbon caramba suggested to me i.e url of this nature www . Nairaland . Com/?go=/topic/view/16/8uild-from-scratch-or-use-existing on most of this i have been using all those codeigniter cakephp zend but never really understand how they worked also when a problem arises u just run to the community. But now i figured out that building from scratch saves u headache as Dual said also u get to understand alot of things instead of just plug and play. And building fromscratch has put this belive in me that u can achieve wat u want if u determined. I do ask all this why how plugins are implemented on all this wordpress, joomla , drupal etc untill recently wen i decided to see how it was built. So i will advice build from scratch. But that doesnt me am discouraging the use of existing cms o. @ dual core am not suprise at ur response. I ave always known u to be a fan of scratch producers.
Re: ..... by Nobody: 10:48am On Oct 21, 2011
That's nothing wrong building ur cms from scratch I usually do with Zend and its good, however its a different case when dealing with a client assuming ur no longer and another dev has to extend ur code,he has to knw ur pattern of writing and let's be sincere a CMS written by one person can't be on equal grounds compared to those revised by multiple devs. I extend Joomla and Wordpress with no ease,except my site is down now will drop tutorials on how to. Remember the clients doesn't care if u're using Zend,Ymodulus CMS, and etc. Just get the job done for him. Also when using cms I read their source code outta curiosity. But building a CMS opens ur eyes to a lot of things but can u waste that time on a client's work.
Re: ..... by webmpro(m): 6:11pm On Oct 21, 2011
@ Binkabia thanks man, pls do you know anyone who can teach me this for some fees?
Re: ..... by binkabir(m): 9:02am On Oct 24, 2011
webmpro:

@ Binkabia thanks man, pls do you know anyone who can teach me this for some fees?
sorry my name binkabir, i can help you. but on one condition: "YOU HAVE TO BE VERY SERIOUS".
the first thing i will do when you are ready is: i will open i new post for you but anybody can contribute.
smiley
Re: ..... by webmpro(m): 11:02am On Oct 24, 2011
@ binkabir, thank you so much! please when can we start?
Re: ..... by Nobody: 7:14pm On Oct 24, 2011
I will say this again. THERE IS NO SINGLE CMS/FRAMEWORK THAT WILL SOLVE EVERY PROGRAMMING PROBLEM.

AND IF ONE IS MADE THAT IS ABLE TO SOLVE ALL THE PROBLEMS, THEN IT WILL BE TOO COMPLICATED TO USE.

I made my framework and i am proud of it. Fine, it may be as powerful as all the existing ones, but there are some
certain kind of jobs that i can do with my framework in a matter of hours - which could take days using the other
frameworks.

The more the number of frameworks, the better it is. Some people like joomla, some like drupal, some like cakephp,
some like wordpress. It is like that all the time.
Re: ..... by binkabir(m): 9:30pm On Oct 24, 2011
webmpro:

@ binkabir, thank you so much! please when can we start?
i wish to first know what level have you gone with php (eg. OOP, using SPL and using the MVC structure)
please grade yourself between 1 - 10 in these fields I mentioned
*dhtml:

I will say this again. THERE IS NO SINGLE CMS/FRAMEWORK THAT WILL SOLVE EVERY PROGRAMMING PROBLEM.

AND IF ONE IS MADE THAT IS ABLE TO SOLVE ALL THE PROBLEMS, THEN IT WILL BE TOO COMPLICATED TO USE.

I made my framework and i am proud of it. Fine, it may be as powerful as all the existing ones, but there are some
certain kind of jobs that i can do with my framework in a matter of hours - which could take days using the other
frameworks.

The more the number of frameworks, the better it is. Some people like joomla, some like drupal, some like cakephp,
some like wordpress. It is like that all the time.

i agree with you 100%
for me
sometimes i use only spoon-library for simple projects.
while Yii FW for complex projects
Re: ..... by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 24, 2011
Yes, it is so. And there are times yet again where you just have to code everything from the scratch without using any framework.
Re: ..... by moderatorr: 10:18pm On Oct 24, 2011
there are two kinds of people on earth - the givers and the users. the givers rule the world.

Take it like this:
the government and the people. MTN and the masses.
The bank owners and the masses.
People will advise you, 'dont kill yourself trying to build your own banks, there are many already made banks you can use, all the client wants is is their money safe?'
good advice huuh?
Nah nah nah.
We dont want good advice we want great advice!
Go man, build a bank! Greatness lies at the end of the tunnel. Go. Follow your destiny.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Create A Simple PHP Website With PBNL Anybody Can Do It! (naijazoom.com) / 5 Steps To Get Your Website Indexed Faster On Google / Necessary Things To Do If You Want Google To Approve Your Adsense

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.