Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,938 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years (34274 Views)

Man Finally Graduates After Spending 12 Years In University / UNILAG Reinstates Olorunfemi Adeyeye, Rusticated Student Activist / Disabled South African Lady Graduates After Being Discouraged By Lecturer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by FreeStuffsNG: 4:11pm On Jun 19, 2023
Student activist rusticated by UNILAG graduates after seven years

A student activist, Mr Olorunfemi Adeyeye, who was rusticated in 2016 by the University of Lagos for organising and leading a mass protest against poor infrastructure on campus, has now graduated after seven years.

Adeyeye, who was reinstated in 2022 and is now a graduate of the Department of Building, was suspended alongside some student activists for participating in the April 6 and 8, 2016 protests, which led to the shutdown of the school and the subsequent indefinite suspension of the University of Lagos Students Union.

Adeyeye was also accused of criticising the leadership of the institution for their inability to manage situations as “democrats” in a Facebook article titled: “The Senate of the University of Lagos; a conglomeration of academic ignorami.”

Sharing his sign-out pictures on his Facebook page on Monday, Adeyeye, shown standing at attention, wore a white shirt with the inscription, “It needed attention, and I gave it full. To continue the big things. Grateful.”

The PUNCH reports that while under suspension, UNILAG authorities also accused Adeyeye of leading a team tagged: “Save UNILAG Coalition,” comprising individuals from the National Association of Nigerian Students, onto the school campus to disrupt the activities of the office of the Dean of Student Affairs on March 31, 2016.

The university had, in a statement, said Adeyeye and other student leaders were not victimised because of their involvement in the protests on campus but because they were found to have breached a part of the regulations in the university’s 2015-2016 student information handbook.

In a 2016 interview with The PUNCH, Adeyeye denied the allegation, revealing that he and other student leaders were invited to a panel by the university known as the “Special Senate Disciplinary Committee on Recent Students’ Protest,” wherein it was indicated that they were rusticated for their participation in a protest.

He further told The PUNCH that everything he wrote in the Facebook article cited by the university pointed to the fact that the resolution of the university Senate concerning his rustication was undemocratic.

“It was rather disheartening that the university came out to say that. It is an untrue statement. I and other student leaders were invited to a panel. The panel was known as, the ‘Special senate disciplinary committee on recent students’ protest.’

“Everything I wrote in the article I posted on my Facebook page pointed to the fact that the resolution of the Senate was not a product of a democratic process, especially with the student leaders who participated in the protest. From the day I was admitted into the university till the day I was rusticated, there was no regulation in the university’s student handbook that stated “unauthorised use of university name, logo, etc in a manner that would bring the university to disrepute,” Mr Adeyeye had said.

https://punchng.com/student-activist-rusticated-by-unilag-graduates-after-seven-years/

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by FreeStuffsNG: 4:12pm On Jun 19, 2023
At last! Congratulations !
He was the one who wrote a scathing bombshell post about the UNILAG VC then. He earned himself a rustication as a result and many people including UNILAG ASUU begged for him.

I am happy he behaved himself so he could finish from UNILAG like his mentor Sowore

68 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by YinkaOlusesi16(m): 4:14pm On Jun 19, 2023
Congratulations to him. God no go shame us🙏🙏🙏

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by Zupay: 4:19pm On Jun 19, 2023
Congratulations to him.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by Davidgr8(m): 4:24pm On Jun 19, 2023
Perseverance and dedication.
You will go far

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by TemplarLandry: 4:26pm On Jun 19, 2023
cool
Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by ManWater: 4:36pm On Jun 19, 2023
Congrats. Better late then never.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by mayor1814: 4:53pm On Jun 19, 2023
Student unionism - not for the fainthearted. Congrats to him. Sowore too was a young student leader in unilag in the early 90s.

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by happney65: 4:58pm On Jun 19, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
He was the one who wrote a scafhing bombshell post about the UNILAG VC then. He earned himself a rustication as a result and many people including UNILAG ASUU begged for him.

I am happy he behaved himself so he could finish from UNILAG like his mentor Sowore

He was.

Femi has agidi like his mentor Sowore. Na wayre both of them be.

I'm happy for him. Unilag really meant to deal with him

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by Solsix(m): 7:32pm On Jun 19, 2023
So of all people in this world nah sowore u see to mentor you?? Mtcheeww

15 Likes

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by oluseyiforjesus(m): 4:30pm On Jun 20, 2023
Delay is not denial

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by slawomir: 4:30pm On Jun 20, 2023
Damnnn niggar

Isoright

Atlast

Respect to him for speaking 🔊 up

Exactly the problem we are facing in Nigeria

The youth of this nation are playing politics of tribalism and yet they want progress
Nobody have the balls to speak out and organise a protest against our politicians
But they are everywhere in a face forum doing tribalism

Go to any faceless forum like nairaland and see how useless most Nigeria youths are
Tribalism ruined their lives

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by Sososo(f): 4:31pm On Jun 20, 2023
Congratulations

1 Like

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by specialmati(m): 4:32pm On Jun 20, 2023
grin grin grin grin this is goodnews.finally

1 Like

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by Yemmysworld91: 4:32pm On Jun 20, 2023
It's not a crime to be an activist; but your activism becomes a problem when you attack people's personality in an insultive manner to ridicule them.

I was in my unilag when he wrote that article. It was too demeaning and it ridiculed the school hierarchy.
Pass your message, but don't challenge people with uncouth words

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by Squirrel1(m): 4:32pm On Jun 20, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
He was the one who wrote a scafhing bombshell post about the UNILAG VC then. He earned himself a rustication as a result and many people including UNILAG ASUU begged for him.

so he shouldn't have written the ills done by the school? Why r u like this?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by Ofunaofu: 4:33pm On Jun 20, 2023
shocked
Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by id4sho(m): 4:33pm On Jun 20, 2023
A town hall different from balablu bhlu bhlu bulaba tongue
Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by BigBlackPreek(m): 4:33pm On Jun 20, 2023
congrats bro
Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by Klean78: 4:33pm On Jun 20, 2023

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by Newnas(m): 4:33pm On Jun 20, 2023
This microcosm boy.

Na him mouth I first hear that word. 😀

Anyways, I'm happy for him.

This just shows that many people can't take what they serve to others. These lecturers can't tolerate a tenth of the insults they serve to their employers.

They should have written a response to his article or just kept mute. After all, he was only exercising the freedom of speech that their democracy gave him.

Seems democracy is only of the powerful, by the powerful and for the powerful.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by Lagosianswag: 4:34pm On Jun 20, 2023
Congratulations to him 👏
It's not easy to be a sincere activist in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 4:35pm On Jun 20, 2023
What happens to you when you go against powers that make be.

At the end of the day, who lost out!
Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jun 20, 2023
If i send my child to school, i nor send you to go protest or lead a protest. You have all the time for that after school. I doubt if anything has changed since the protest.

4 Likes

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by Ipbez3: 4:35pm On Jun 20, 2023
mayor1814:
Student unionism - not for the fainthearted. Congrats to him. Sowore too was a young student leader in unilag in the early 90s.
Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by paparazi232(m): 4:35pm On Jun 20, 2023
Congrat bro
Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by Yemmysworld91: 4:36pm On Jun 20, 2023
Squirrel1:
so he shouldn't have written the ills done by the school? Why r u like this?
That shouldn't be done by calling people unprintable names

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by ipobarecriminals: 4:36pm On Jun 20, 2023
sad
Re: Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years by DavSagacity(m): 4:36pm On Jun 20, 2023
" I did not just attend UNILAG, I attended to UNILAG."

Congratularions Comrade.

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today / Laspotech Security Killed By Cultists Today (pics) / Annual Xfire Nairaland Undergraduate Quiz Competition (scholarship)- 2nd Edition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.