Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,673 members, 7,831,094 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? (1464 Views)

3-year-old Praise, Israel Ezekiel's Daughter Kneels As She Worships God In Kenya / The Church Of GOD In Nigeria Is Not The Government Of Nigeria - Nneka Okumazie / Praying Through The God Of Your Pastor/general Overseer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by TheMadame(f): 8:46pm On Jun 22, 2023
Dantedasz:

Thank you for your maturity madam. The answer to your question will be provided tomorrow morning. I am currently occupied. You may like to call those passing insults to join tomorrow morning. They might learn something if they stop threatening fire and brimstone and eternal burning in hell fire.

Thank you.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by delkuf(m): 9:10pm On Jun 22, 2023
TheMadame:
Good day to my brothers and sisters in Christianity. May the Lord be with all of us. May the Lord refresh us and give us the knowledge to attain everlasting life in heaven.
Please I write to seek knowledge on a topic which distressed me. This is the dichotomy between the God of the new testament and God in the old testament of our holy Bible.
The God in the Old testament comes across as very angry over issues,while the God of new testament comes across as kind and loving . Benevolent, forgiving, blessing and the father of all creation,while the old testament of the Bible reflects God as only for the nation of Israel. I welcome any explanation with Bible passages to enlighten
God bless as you contribute to this discourse. Apologies for poor spelling and please let us avoid insulting language.
Thank you.
Op this is simply because God of the old testament is God of the law while God of the new testament is God of grace. And this is done through the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by TheMadame(f): 9:26pm On Jun 22, 2023
delkuf:
Op this is simply because God of the old testament is God of the law while God of the new testament is God of grace. And this is done through the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ

Thank you for your input. I am enlightened by this post.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Lukuluku69(m): 9:42pm On Jun 22, 2023
TheMadame:
Good day to my brothers and sisters in Christianity. May the Lord be with all of us. May the Lord refresh us and give us the knowledge to attain everlasting life in heaven.
Please I write to seek knowledge on a topic which distressed me. This is the dichotomy between the God of the new testament and God in the old testament of our holy Bible.
The God in the Old testament comes across as very angry over issues,while the God of new testament comes across as kind and loving . Benevolent, forgiving, blessing and the father of all creation,while the old testament of the Bible reflects God as only for the nation of Israel. I welcome any explanation with Bible passages to enlighten
God bless as you contribute to this discourse. Apologies for poor spelling and please let us avoid insulting language.
Thank you.

I can tell you ( Based on my numerous readings of everything religious books) but it will take a very long time to arrive at the point why they are so different.

But the noticed difference/s was basically as a result of Fine tuning, stepping down many stuff about God in the New Testament by the Writers and Redactors. Many stuff were parred down...

But the Major one is the fact that at around 400+ or so, a new concept (Demiurge I think) came upon Christianity where they had to separate The Old Testament God from the New Testament (Represented by Jesus). It is a long story.

If you truly wanna find out, read stuff on Church History: both the hostile and the Friendly sympathetic stuff
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Steep(m): 10:31pm On Jun 22, 2023
TheMadame:
Thank you.
It is the same God but two different convenants. The first covenant is base on Israel keeping the law and failure to do so attract severe punishment.
The second covenant is based on the finish work of Jesus christ on the cross in which christ bears the penalty of sins for those who put their trust in him.

1 Like

Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by vdestro: 7:41am On Jun 23, 2023
TheMadame:

Thank you for your input. I am enlightened by this post.

You have heard this answer even before you asked this question.

For you already know the Truth is that God never changed and He has always being gracious as seen even in the case of cain where He warned him of impendiing sin or the patience He gave Sodom and Gomorah or the grace He gave Balaam.

Thus, God has always being good and remained the same and the only thing about what people wrongly call new testament is that it is His Last Message to man.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by vdestro: 7:48am On Jun 23, 2023
Steep:

It is the same God but two different convenants. The first covenant is base on Israel keeping the law and failure to do so attract severe punishment.
The second covenant is based on the finish work of Jesus christ on the work in which christ bears the penalt of sins for thise who put their trust in him.

It still the same covenant and law of sin/atonement. So you are wrong. It is no new covenant.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:17am On Jun 23, 2023
Steep:

The second covenant is based on the finish work of Jesus christ on the work in which christ bears the penalt of sins for thise who put their trust in him.

Excellent!

So after Christianity has been established there is no need destroying evildoers bit by bit anymore God has set a time limit when all evildoers will be totally exterminated:

"Moreover, bring these enemies of mine here who did not want me to become king over them and execute them in front of me" ~ Jesus of Nazareth @ Luke 19:27
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:21am On Jun 23, 2023
vdestro:

It still the same covenant and law of sin/atonement. So you are wrong. It is no new covenant.

Ọmọ he is 100% correct with this!

God Himself declared that the covenant differ:

“Look! The days are coming,” declares Jehovah, “when I will make with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant. It will not be like the covenant that I made with their forefathers on the day I took hold of their hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, ‘my covenant that they broke, although I was their true master,’ declares Jehovah.” Jeremiah 31:31-32

So Christianity is not under the law covenant that's why we can't stone people to death when they turn against what God said!
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Dantedasz(m): 9:58am On Jun 23, 2023
TheMadame:
Thank you.

Good morning madam
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Dantedasz(m): 10:16am On Jun 23, 2023
We begin this discussion by trying to understand the fact that the Christian Bible contains a lot of myths and personal opinion and interpolation of the writers of the various books that were written at varied times and certainly not in the chronological order under which they appear in the canonical scriptures.
It is of essence to understand that there is no proof that majority of the books in the Bible ascribed to authors were NOT written by them. Names were just ascribed to books that had been floating around early christianity before the chronological order introduced by the Romans. As such the true authors of books like Mathew and Mark are really unknown.
Many of these books have been translated and translated again and again by various scribes who have inserted myths and their personal opinion/views into the books.
Once you accept and understand the Bible to not be the word of God but the explanation of man,as to what his impression of God is like then every thing becomes very simple.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Dantedasz(m): 10:16am On Jun 23, 2023
Now on to your question on the reason why the god of the new testament appears divergent from the god of the old testament.
You need to understand the origins of Yahweh the Israelite god. Yahweh origins are obscure but scholars have been able to trace this deity as a Midian desert storm god. There existed a pantheon of 70 gods under the leadership of El (Elyon) and his consort Asherah. El had his pantheon of minor (children)gods such as Yahweh, baal and others.
Taking the Bible narrative Genesis chapter 33;20. El is being referenced as the god of Israel.

Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Dantedasz(m): 10:40am On Jun 23, 2023
Even towns like Bethel, are in praise of the deity El. BETH. EL.
Even names like Michael, and Gabriel reference the deity EL.
The god of Abraham, Isaacs and Jacob wes El.
In fact there is evidence to prove that El was worshipped in a polytheist setting.

Another chapter in the Bible that implicating worship of El as the supreme God is found in Job chapter 2 :1.

1 Like

Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by KnownUnknown: 10:56am On Jun 23, 2023
The people who created the latter were different and lived in different times from the people who created the former. The answer to the OP isn’t complicated but inability to face reality leads to nonsensical claims.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Dantedasz(m): 10:56am On Jun 23, 2023
The deity El had only one law which was circumcision .

Genesis chapter 17.

However when Israel became a monotheistic society Yahweh was elevated above El and became the god. Yahweh morphed El and assumed all the characteristics of El and superceded El with his own war like and storm characteristics.
These things did not happen at once but happened over a long period of time.
The Bible writers SANITISED the Bible and wrote out the role of EL and replaced with the war/storm god Yahweh. So basically the son became the father and all the pantheon of El and his 70 sons were silenced by the Bible writers.

Yahweh now became the sole god described in EXODUS as.

Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by KnownUnknown: 10:59am On Jun 23, 2023
Dantedasz:
In fact there is evidence to prove that El was worshipped in a polytheist setting.

Another chapter in the Bible that implicating worship of El as the supreme God is found in Job chapter 2 :1.

They prefer Yahweh to El so they can pretend that there is “oNly OnE gOd”
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Benfaco: 11:00am On Jun 23, 2023
The love of God for us

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

When Adam sinned, he lost the direct access he initially had with God. (Genesis 3) God decided to send his only begotten son (Jesus) to pay the price for our sins on the cross of calvary because of his love for us. When Christ resurrected, he restored all privileges that we once had and brought redemption to us all. All we need is to believe that he died for our sin and has once again granted us direct access with God. No longer through an intermediary! (Mathew 27:50-53).

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

If our earthly parents care so much for us, how much more our father in heaven! (Luke 11:11-13). God’s love for us is infinite. He has promised to supply all our needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Philipians 4:19).

Prayer of Salvation

Lord Jesus, I accept and acknowledge you as my personal lord and savior. I sincerely ask that you forgive my sins. Come into my life and pour out your spirit on me. By faith, I receive the promise of the father, which is the holy spirit. (John 14:16) I thank you for the price that you paid for me on the cross of calvary. Thank you for my redemption. I pray that your power, grace and favor will abide with me now and forever more. Amen.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Dantedasz(m): 11:22am On Jun 23, 2023
So El and his pantheon of 70 was jettisoned by the Bible writers and the Israelite for the monopoly of Yahweh who now became the sole jealous god of storms,war and destruction.
As men evolved and became more knowledgeable their idea of the god they were writing about also evolved as culture and morality changed
So there is a evolution from El and his pantheon of gods to Yahweh and finally to the more compassionate god of the new testament.
There has been a lot of cleaning up and sanitisation of the old and new testaments of the Bible. Books that were considered heresy were jettisoned out of the Bible,while those that met the standards were kept in and cleaned through translations.

There are so many secrets of the Bible hidden in the Vatican vaults that if brought to light would open so many peoples eyes.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by TheMadame(f): 3:24pm On Jun 23, 2023
Dantedasz:

Hmmm. This is strange.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Dantedasz(m): 3:31pm On Jun 23, 2023
TheMadame:

Hmmm. This is strange.

It may seem strange to you because of the indoctrination. You can goggle all what I wrote up there by starting with" The origin of Yahweh ".
You may also like to goggle ; Marcion of Sinope. He gives a very indepth analysis of the Demiurge, inferior Creation god of the Bible.
You just need to take a little step and research all the dogma they stuffed in your mind from youth.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Image123(m): 4:17pm On Jun 23, 2023
All who will suffer in the lake of fire will have to believe sometime, only they have believed too late.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Maynmann: 4:19pm On Jun 23, 2023
Image123:
All who will suffer in the lake of fire will have to believe sometime, only they have believed too late.
You won’t need to believe again, you Will know then.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Image123(m): 4:30pm On Jun 23, 2023
Maynmann:

You won’t need to believe again, you Will know then.

Exactly, it will be worthless then. Now is the time to believe.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Maynmann: 4:33pm On Jun 23, 2023
Image123:

Exactly, it will be worthless then. Now is the time to believe.
Knowledge is never worthless, belief is.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Dantedasz(m): 4:52pm On Jun 23, 2023
Image123:

Do you really believe in lakes of fire in this century?
With all the enlightenment surrounding you. Read up and liberate yourself.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Image123(m): 5:34pm On Jun 23, 2023
Maynmann:

Knowledge is never worthless, belief is.

Ordinary belief in one's self has taken millions of people places they could not otherwise go. Don't display too much ignorance online.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Image123(m): 5:35pm On Jun 23, 2023
Dantedasz:

Do you really believe in lakes of fire in this century?
With all the enlightenment surrounding you. Read up and liberate yourself.

Okay.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Dantedasz(m): 5:38pm On Jun 23, 2023
Image123:

Okay.

It would be sad that when the time comes and you find out all you believed in are just myths and writings of men pretending to be speaking for a deity. Unfortunately by that time it will be too late to retrace your steps! undecided
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Maynmann: 6:57pm On Jun 23, 2023
Image123:

Ordinary belief in one's self has taken millions of people places they could not otherwise go. Don't display too much ignorance online.
Is that a belief or a fact, believer?

Stop basking in your delusions.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Image123(m): 7:43pm On Jun 23, 2023
Dantedasz:

It would be sad that when the time comes and you find out all you believed in are just myths and writings of men pretending to be speaking for a deity. Unfortunately by that time it will be too late to retrace your steps! undecided

How can it ever be sad when i have enjoyed unspeakable joy and love for decades since i started for God's kingdom. Friend, wake up i have more peace, love and joy in one month than you've probably ever had all your life.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Image123(m): 7:44pm On Jun 23, 2023
Maynmann:

Is that a belief or a fact, believer?

Stop basking in your delusions.

Okay.
Re: Why Is The God In The New Testament Different? by Maynmann: 7:46pm On Jun 23, 2023
Image123:

Okay.
Your jewish savior didn’t speak English.
What is “hell” in Hebrew/Aramaic? cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What is Christmas? / What Is The Greatest Sin? / Religion Will Destroy Nigerians. No God Will Save You!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.