Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,962 members, 7,835,216 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% - Autos (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% (24960 Views)

Reduction On Imported Vehicles Duties To Begin Next Week - Customs / Brand New/highest Quality Tokunbo Cars With Fully Paid Duties.. No Worries. / Tokunbo Full Duties Paid 2008 Toyota Camry Sports Accident Fre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by Nononsense247: 9:06am On Jun 26, 2023
xpressionx:

Stupid boy.
Have you seen Putin kill anyone before?
But you believe all the evidences against him in the media.
So the evidence in the media that your white powder King has not been able to deny is what?
You will perish for supporting evil.
Evil shall not escape the sword of judgment and destruction.
See the evil M.C Oluomo is doing is lagos with the backing of your oppressor,yet you have the boldness to come here and spew thrash.
Esu
From your house you are claiming you know people... Go your states and leave Lagos... Why is your states not better than Lagos... Uselessbtribe... People don't go to your place cus nothing dey there useless people but dragging other people's land... Go see wetin agbero dey do una side hypocrites....
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by grandstar(m): 9:07am On Jun 26, 2023
cucumbar:
Continue making excuses. That was how you lots made excuses for the past Government. Una don start again. Yeye people everywhere.

I never liked the Buhari government.

I wrote him off within 30 days. It might even been a week when he started determining exchange rates.
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by Nononsense247: 9:07am On Jun 26, 2023
xpressionx:

Stupid boy.
Have you seen Putin kill anyone before?
But you believe all the evidences against him in the media.
So the evidence in the media that your white powder King has not been able to deny is what?
You will perish for supporting evil.
Evil shall not escape the sword of judgment and destruction.
See the evil M.C Oluomo is doing is lagos with the backing of your oppressor,yet you have the boldness to come here and spew thrash.
Esu
Call me a boy ... See this werey you fit never clock 30 like that ooo... Werey omo
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by 43Ronin: 9:08am On Jun 26, 2023
This is how islamization starts. They first make everyone poor like in sokoto then use the Islam as a means to get wealth.
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by ConfidentialDoc: 9:09am On Jun 26, 2023
Is there any need to open Seme border again?
Maybe for rice...

Thank God I've already cleared my 2017 Lexus SUV.
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by lexy2014: 9:10am On Jun 26, 2023
Nononsense247:

So... Obi would have turned Nigeria to Dubai in two months... Lolzzz! Yeye people ... Una go cry tire

Pls what is my business with obi?

Are u acknowledging that the present administration is dishing out bad news on its own?

Did anyone force the administration to dish out bad news?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by Flets: 9:14am On Jun 26, 2023
grandstar:

The reality us that the 8 years of the Buhari administration completely messed up the economy, dragging it down and loading it with mountains of debt.

So, correcting it won't be easy. The 2 most painful reforms have already been implemented which are ending fuel subsidies and the unification of the exchange rates. These 2 policies will not only reduce waste but massively increase government revenues overnight.

It is also too early to judge things. Ministers have yet to be appointed. Who would be appointed as the finance minister is crucial as well as the next governor of the central bank.

Today marks the 28th day of this government. A better flashlight might be first 100 days in office.

You don’t implement such policies like it’s knee jerk. What plans are in place to cushion the effect on the people?
What are savings reinvestment plans?
Why not a gradual removal of the subsidies, why must they happen on day 1?, you want to kill the people you intend to save?
Where. Are the savings from diesel and kerosene subsidy removal?

2 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by NuCypher: 9:14am On Jun 26, 2023
Leebeedo:

I'll answer the question for you, no worry. As it stands now, Nigeria's economy is heavily dependent on the exchange rate btw Naira and Dollar because the economy is almost 100% import driven. Even the fuel that cranes use at the sea port to offload containers are imported and we pay for the fuel in dollars. Cost of dollar goes up, running cost at the seaport goes up which will eventually increase service cost.......trickle down economics!
That explanation is insufficient. Fuel is the worst example you could use. Nigeria generates its own crude and there's supposedly a refinery which should come into operation shortly and which, again, is supposedly able to meet the country's local needs. In effect, your explanation does not justify a near 40% increase in rates.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by BreconHills(m): 9:16am On Jun 26, 2023
xpressionx:

Buhari also warned about it.

Till now,to actionable plan on Subsidy removal.
Rather they are trying Nigerians opinion about increasing their allowances with the money removed from Subsidy

What actionable plan do you want to have when your country is broke? Does it not occur to you that the obligations on our reserves outweigh the national accounts? Do you not understand that every day without subsidy obligations frees up the cash we need for palliatives? Do you imagine that the money exists somewhere and the government is refusing to release it?
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by skuribeebo: 9:18am On Jun 26, 2023
They Don start again.
Score 1 goal
Call concede 4 goals.
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by GetSenseNow: 9:22am On Jun 26, 2023
LARRYOBRAIN:
Tinubu is doing great, this is the effects of past administrations which put us on a fake economy. But Tinubu has put us in the reality of the day.
The economy can grow now and we enjoy it later.
Let's be positive.
You guys make me laugh

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by Bouncin(m): 9:24am On Jun 26, 2023
It will favor us, my family and i grin

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by CyberHustle: 9:26am On Jun 26, 2023
Why should a naira based economy be charging people in dollar equivalent for import?

2 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by Nice2023(m): 9:27am On Jun 26, 2023
Samakus:
This Customs raise of exchange rate from N422/$ to N589/$ will favour me and my family cheesy

Don't go and work.

Show me one man who didn't work before he became rich.

Religion has affected u guys that when u are supposed to take actions,u are busy praying.
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by Basicend: 9:28am On Jun 26, 2023
Leebeedo:

I'll answer the question for you, no worry. As it stands now, Nigeria's economy is heavily dependent on the exchange rate btw Naira and Dollar because the economy is almost 100% import driven. Even the fuel that cranes use at the sea port to offload containers are imported and we pay for the fuel in dollars. Cost of dollar goes up, running cost at the seaport goes up which will eventually increase service cost.......trickle down economics!

Most Nigerians didnt have access to the official rate of N465 to 1 dollar before. . We have been running businesses on black market rates. . So the recent increase in official rate has not yet affected us. . That is why you are not yet seeing many complaint. .

It is govt parastatals, FX bidders and travelers that will be affected by the new policy. . it will reflect into the end price for consumers marginally thou.
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by komzy589(m): 9:28am On Jun 26, 2023
GWMI:
So many people just wish Tinubu failure not knowing that wishing him failure, doesn't mean he will fail.
Let's see what happens in weeks to come as we survive this new Government policies.
But one lesson learnt is that, Nigeria was a highly subsidized society now all subsidy is going we got to bear the heat.
Hello, you can’t blame every stupid decision Tinubu has made on the subsidy removal.
They are talking about naira devaluation, you are talking about subsidy.
This is just a new low 🤦‍♂️
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by jaxxy(m): 9:29am On Jun 26, 2023
Strangulating policies bt he say let the poor breathe grin
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by tobstarizhia(m): 9:38am On Jun 26, 2023
I wish Agbadorians nothing but wretched poverty and misfortune in the weeks and years to come
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by Nice2023(m): 9:41am On Jun 26, 2023
GWMI:
So many people just wish Tinubu failure not knowing that wishing him failure, doesn't mean he will fail.
Let's see what happens in weeks to come as we survive this new Government policies.
But one lesson learnt is that, Nigeria was a highly subsidized society now all subsidy is going we got to bear the heat.

Then u don't know anything.

In America most of things there are subsidised. Petrol,food and name it.

In South Africa here,they have housing subsidy,unemployment insurance/subsidy,health insurance and many more alike.

In Egypt,the energy sector is 72% subsidised and to shock u also,they have food subsidy till this day.

In Namibia,there is what they called national electricity support tariff.

These are things u do for ur country to avoid impoverishing the people but here,u guys just talk without brains.

After all this,ask urself what do u benefit from ur country's wealth.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by Reference(m): 9:41am On Jun 26, 2023
BreconHills:

PBAT and VPS warned that difficult times lay ahead for Nigeria. They told everyone that they would have to make difficult choices. They were very clear unlike two other candidates who kept mumbling at low decibels saying nothing out of fear. In the end the people chose clarity over vagueness. This is why in one week PBAT was able to push through wide ranging and necessary reforms without a murmur. Even the TUC and Labour knew that they had no public support with a strike.

It's going to get even more difficult as the electricity tariffs go up in July. It is either this generations pays for success or their children do. Nigerias debt has come through. I am proud to belong to the generation that pays the price for a new Nigeria in our life time.

Oga you should elevate your thinking please. Yes, subsidies in a poor unproductive economy is suicidal but so is hyperinflation and.the failure of the government to act swiftly on inflation is the first failure.

If you are informed you will understand that there is a fine line between the slow down of the economy and the complete seizure/recession of the economy which will crash revenue.

Already productivity is being affected in many sectors as retail, construction, transportation and and energy are recording serious drops.

I said it before that if the government does not come out and head off inflation it will spread from energy into transport and then into soft retail. By the time it hits durable.goods and fixed assets then the damage to.the economy will become irreversible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by komzy589(m): 9:47am On Jun 26, 2023
Nononsense247:

Shutup ... Those that wish and wants Tinubu to fail are enemies of this country ... Premature death shall locate them ..
Sorry, how old are you?
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by DesireV: 9:47am On Jun 26, 2023
NuCypher:
The bigger question is if the customs is transacting in dollars or naira? This is a very important question we should be asking, if the government itself can start dollarizing the economy. Last I checked, we spend naira in Nigeria, not dollars.
Customs duty is a % of the purchase price of the import item (bought in dollar most times)
For example, import duty on a car of $10000 is 40% of $10000 which is $4000.
Customs collect naira equivalent of $4000 since we spend naira and not dollar.
Other taxes, levies, charges on imported goods are calculated as a % of the purchase price (which isn't in naira)
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by COMPAQ(m): 9:49am On Jun 26, 2023
NuCypher:
The bigger question is if the customs is transacting in dollars or naira? This is a very important question we should be asking, if the government itself can start dollarizing the economy. Last I checked, we spend naira in Nigeria, not dollars.

But the car you are buying from abroad isn't it in dollars? So of course the devalued naira makes the car more expensive, so naturally duties which is a fixed percentage becomes higher too.

The headline is misleading. Customs didn't increase anything.
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by darealez(m): 9:51am On Jun 26, 2023
Samakus:
This Customs raise of exchange rate from N422/$ to N589/$ will favour me and my family cheesy

Lol! You and your family, just like every other Nigerian will survive. Nothing is favorable in price escalation.. Not even to Dangote.
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by BreconHills(m): 9:54am On Jun 26, 2023
Reference:

Oga you should elevate your thinking please. Yes, subsidies in a poor unproductive economy is suicidal but so is hyperinflation and.the failure of the government to act swiftly on inflation is the first failure.

If you are informed you will understand that there is a fine line between the slow down of the economy and the complete seizure/recession of the economy which will crash revenue.

Already productivity is being affected in many sectors as retail, construction, transportation and and energy are recording serious drops.

I said it before that if the government does not come out and head off inflation it will spread from energy into transport and then into soft retail. By the time it hits durable.goods and fixed assets then the damage to.the economy will become irreversible.

I would have taken your points in more detail.

Suffice to say NG suffers import led inflation. We are all going to suffer. No two ways about it. Painless recovery is impossible. Q is while it be V shapes ( how deep the V?) or will it be U shape ( saucers or pots and pans?)

Government needs to support responsive innovations e.g CNG and Gas optimisation. There is a whole industry waiting to be built out of post fuel subsidy oil prices. Support immediate short hanging opportunities. Fast.

You can't address inflation with monetarist policies right now because they won't work. It's import led. You won't help by flooding market with dollars, its unsustainable. You can't raise wages because most companies would go out of business or scale back = higher unemployment.

Only option is laser focus on responding to domestic innovation. Rest = hold on and ride out.
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by comodo: 9:55am On Jun 26, 2023
wasuka14:
You and your gene have been dying miserably and will continue to do so. We the progressive, can't you see that we keep flying high and high. Your caliber keep crying and crying. Hunger and miserable will finish you and your gene.

Yes you are living in affluence indeed. Flying higher in bulabaic speed.

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by Leebeedo(m): 9:59am On Jun 26, 2023
NuCypher:

That explanation is insufficient. Fuel is the worst example you could use. Nigeria generates its own crude and there's supposedly a refinery which should come into operation shortly and which, again, is supposedly able to meet the country's local needs. In effect, your explanation does not justify a near 40% increase in rates.

Sure, fuel was just a quick example I could think of. A more realistic example would be payment of expatriates that fixes machineries at the sea port, they get paid in dollars.
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by prophetfire: 10:00am On Jun 26, 2023
loosecanon50:
Tinubu is a financial expert, he studied accounting in Chicago state university.

This is fake news...Tinubu is already fixing the economy. grin
By this Chicago drug criminal finishes with Nigerians ehhhhh. Make I no talk.
As people no take Buhari get sense ehhhh, Tinubu own go make dem mad.
Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by Reference(m): 10:01am On Jun 26, 2023
CyberHustle:
Why should a naira based economy be charging people in dollar equivalent for import?

It is just a tactical move to raise tarrifs. It has nothing to do.with the exchange rate in reality. There is no reason why import duties should be denominated in anything but the naira.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by Acidosis(m): 10:03am On Jun 26, 2023
Buying a car during this critical period, especially when on a tight budget, without considering its significant value beyond mere pleasure-seeking (hedonic reasons and women), is the fastest way to descend into poverty.

A significant portion (say 60%) of your money will go towards servicing a corrupt government and big-bellied customs officers. The rise in fuel costs per litre (Now N520) will increase your blood pressure.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Devaluation Pushes Up Vehicles Duties By 40% by equity1(m): 10:04am On Jun 26, 2023
DeLaRue:
Customs can't have a different exchange rate from the government 's own rate. All government agencies will adjust to the new official rate. They have no choice.

What those involved in car importation should lobby for is a reduction in the import duty.

Mr Buhari 's government increased it to 40% in order to encourage local production of cars, but 95% of car buyers in Nigeria can't afford a new locally produced car. So, the policy doesn't appear to be working.

Therefore, import duty should be reduced to 20% max until further notice. You are absolutely right. Best comment so far

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zero 8120 30 63 56 Direct Working Ecu(brainbox Box, Key Immobiliser, Smart Box, / 2021 Model Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Fully Loaded Toks / Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.