Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,163 members, 7,825,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines (7878 Views)

Dangote To Invest N500bn In Two 550km Gas Pipeline / The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything / Dangote To Invest $12 Billion In Nigerian Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by OAM4J: 1:29am On Oct 04, 2011
[size=13pt]Cement: Dangote to construct rail lines from factories[/size]

The Dangote Group has said it will soon construct rail tracks from all its cement factories to the national railway lines to reduce the cost of transportation of the product.

The Managing Director, Dangote Cement Terminal in Lagos, Mr. Akin Adesokan, disclosed this on Sunday when he conducted distributors round the Dangote Cement Factory in Ibese, Ogun State.

He said the project was necessary because the cost of transporting bulky goods such as cement in the country was still a challenge.

Adesokan said Dangote would also establish a vessel freight firm to boost the exportation of goods to the member states of the Economic Community of West African States.

He said the move was to forge a strong bilateral trade relationship amongst the ECOWAS member countries.

Adesokan said, “The challenge is taking our goods from the factory to the ports, and since there is no railway system, it makes transportation of bulky goods burdensome.’’ The official said Dangote had invested heavily in haulage because the company had bought over 2,000 trucks to distribute cement to all depots in the country.

He said, “This is our own Corporate Social Responsibility and no other company has done this. The price will definitely come down because the Chairman of Dangote Group, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, has the interest of Nigerians at heart.

“He wants to bring down the price of cement to the barest minimum so that everybody can afford it. The factory in Ibese has the capacity to produce six million tonnes of cement per annum and it is to bring cement to every part of the South-West region.”

Adesokan added, “Before now, we cannot bring cement from Obajana down to the South-West. But, with this factory now, it will be a thing of the past.

“From Ibese, we can take cement to Ibadan, Oyo, Ogun and all other parts of the South-West region.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20111004365689
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by ektbear: 3:11am On Oct 04, 2011
I don't know why he always tries to spin himself as a man of the people. He is essentially a robber baron.
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by aljharem3: 3:15am On Oct 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't know why he always tries to spin himself as a man of the people. He is essentially a robber baron.

he is one of the greatest investors in the SW apart from adenuga

all his 11 companies or so and their HQs are located in the SW. The amount of tax he pays alone is very high not to talk of employment etc

so i really think he should be praised for this
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by WebSurfer(m): 5:17am On Oct 04, 2011
^^^^ praised 4 wat! Mtcheeww
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by ektbear: 5:58am On Oct 04, 2011
He does some good, no doubt. But he also does a lot of evil.

Is the good greater than the evil? I don't know.
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by hercules07: 6:07am On Oct 04, 2011
@ekt

Can you list the evils he has done?
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by ektbear: 6:11am On Oct 04, 2011
Do you enjoy paying 3X more for cement than the market price?

Did you enjoy his sugar, rice and basic foodstuffs monopolies, causing you to pay more than necessary for goods?
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by AjanleKoko: 6:25am On Oct 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

Did you enjoy his sugar, rice and basic foodstuffs monopolies, causing you to pay more than necessary for goods?

We need to ask somebody o.
It's really bad. People just praise anything and anybody who seems to have some sort of power or money in Nigeria. I don't know if they are hoping that it'll make things better, or appease those people so they don't make things worse than they are already. undecided
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by Rhino5dm: 6:38am On Oct 04, 2011
Am highly dis @ the comments on this thread. Is business a charitable organisation or profit making venture? Who allow the man to be enjoying "monopoly" alone"? You guess is good as mine!

This is man tha is doing everything possible to invest in this country and one of the greatest employer of labour, and yet people are not satified.
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by hercules07: 6:43am On Oct 04, 2011
Why are you guys not heckling Elephant Cement, Burham Cement and Eagle Cement, why is it only Dangote Cement that people are sad about? Let other cement guys crash their prices now, or are they owned by Dangote? Direct your anger at the government that gave him monopolies on these things, your Julius Berger also has a stranglehold on construction work in Nigeria, why are you guys not shouting, afterall, it is proven that JB colludes with government to steal our money in contracts, please leave Dangote alone, he is only a businessman, let the government ensure a level playing field for all in all sectors. I am even surprised it is coming from ekt who is a known capitalist and Ajanlekoko who works in telecoms firms that play very very dirty when it comes to killing competitors.
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by dayokanu(m): 6:48am On Oct 04, 2011
Can someone tell me one wrong thing Dangote has done from a businessman perspective?

Constructing rails is actually not his responsibility since he pays taxes
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by Rhino5dm: 6:49am On Oct 04, 2011
Anyone complaining about Dangote should be treated as enemy of the country, and particularly South West.
This is a man that invest billions in SW and as one of the largest employer of labour in SW.

The northerners sees this man as a traitor and yet some ingrates from SW are here chatting rubbish. They refused to recognise this man in is home state(kano) for the fact that he chooses to locate all his businesses outside the state.

. .
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by hercules07: 6:55am On Oct 04, 2011
Do not mind them, how can a dirty stinking northerner be so sucessful, anybody who has been to obajana will know the level of the guy's investment, while our looting leaders are siting refineries outside the country, a businessman is spending his money investing in the country and people are hating, I neither like nor dislike the guy, he is simply a businessman, if he is said to have undue advantage, let the regulators look into it, as per telecoms, are we not paying some of the highest rates in the world?
People keep saying he is killing the railways and that is untrue, it is in his interest that the railways work, infact, he will really love to invest in the railways but the guys running things there do not want him to, I think it is high time we relegated ethnic sentiments and look at things objectively, I wish yorubaland has like 10 dangotes.
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by Rhino5dm: 7:04am On Oct 04, 2011
wait until these self acclaimed "Bill Gates" invade this thread with mooronic ideas on how the can be richer than him when giving the opprotunity. Pure envy!
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 04, 2011
This is good news.
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by 27naira(m): 10:19am On Oct 04, 2011
AjanleKoko:

We need to ask somebody o.
It's really bad. People just praise anything and anybody who seems to have some sort of power or money in Nigeria. I don't know if they are hoping that it'll make things better, or appease those people so they don't make things worse than they are already. undecided
ekt_bear:

WebSurfer:

^^^^ praised 4 wat! Mtcheeww

why the hating?
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by Guk: 10:26am On Oct 04, 2011
Dear Nigerian =N=lander,

I emphasised Nigerian becos they will be most affected by the downfall of Dangote if that ever happens.

For the uninformed, its in the interest of Nigeria & Nigerians that this guy does not go down or else we will all suffer for it for a short while.

(1) Let me explain. If this guy goes down, the banking sector in Nigeria follows him. His businesses are heavily indebted to practically all banks in Nigeria. This risk exposure is one of the reasons Sanusi is watching the banks like hawks. Every move of Dangote is financed by the banks. Who's money is in the banks? You & I. Who stands to lose if they go down? You & I. What happens to him?? He walks away, his companies are limited liability. Salaries of the largest employer of labour are provided by the banks, through Overdrafts.

Why cant the banks rein him in? Their exposure is so huge, they have to continue financing him to enable them recover back some of what they gave. Will they ever recover all Not likely. He has the system by the jugular.

(2) We all know what a Stock Market means to any nation. This one individual can make you penniless on the stock market within a trading day, believe it or not. If you doubt it, go and do your research. He controls the stock market. The exposure is so bad, that he ahs to be considered when policies are made as anything that will affect him negatively will affect the entire stock market.

(3) No govt can ignore him cause he can fund you into power & you have no choice but grant him waivers that are unreasonable. Where will the money for the funding come from?? The banks!!!! Who owns the money in the banks My & yours little little contributions.

He uses your money in the banks to run his businesses, you scramble for his LPO's and you still beg to be paid after 30 - 90days.

You pay him your hard earned income for a piece of his company in the name of shares and returns some naira notes to you in dividends and you hail him. please, who has attended any Dangote Sugar AGM before

Can you blame him? NO!!!!! the system affords such Luxuries.

Is it peculiar to Nigeria alone? NO!!! You have people like Lakshmi Mittal; Hinduja brothers doing same. Chagourys do it too. The Vaswanis got away with it for sometime but lost out. Billionaires tried it in Russia, Vladimir Putin chased them out.

If you were Dangote, what would you do Use your own money This is what they call OPM, Other peoples' money or you and i's monies

1 Like

Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by babaowo: 10:31am On Oct 04, 2011
Dango WHAT
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by mrjingles(m): 10:41am On Oct 04, 2011
The man deserves all the praise and accolades. He went into the real sector when no nigerian would touch it. The man went from importing finished goods to bulk importation and packing to manufacturing, steadily moving up the value chain, other "monopolists" have not gone on to add any value. He is one of the largest employers in the country and is gradually evolving into a pan african business man. Abeg the man try, I wonder which evil he has committed, perhaps his accusers would care to list specific sins.

If you think any sane business man will sit by and allow competitors to steal his lunch then you better stick to collecting you salary and never try business, its war! Make una leave this belus for the guy abeg.
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by eghost247(m): 10:54am On Oct 04, 2011
this sounds like a nice devlopment all the haters give him a break abeg
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by mustspin: 11:00am On Oct 04, 2011
NICE 1. I SEE THIS AS A WIN-WIN SITUATION. IT REDUCES THE COST AND RISK INVOLVED IN THE TRANSPORTATION OF HIS GOOD WHILE THE DAMAGE HIS OVER 5000 TRUCKS DOES TO THE NIGERIAN ROADS ALSO REDUCES AND THE NUMBER OF DEATHS BEING CAUSED BY HIS RECKLESS TRUCK DRIVERS ALSO REDUCES. . .

1 Like

Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by highland(m): 12:18pm On Oct 04, 2011
Good for him
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by kunlekunle: 12:38pm On Oct 04, 2011
most stolen money can be traced to this guy.
with him the nation enjoys the benefit of recycled economy (allowing the money to remain in the sysytem).
where are the SW stolen money.
Swiss, USA, UK and the rest.

i pray he steals more and create more jobs.
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by DisGuy: 12:54pm On Oct 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

is it his fault people are paying theat much, he is not the only one with a license for cement, he has the biggest plant in nigeria go and blame the rest for just importing cement and telling stories every year about their expansion plants

monopoly is the fault of the government you vote in not the fault of the man who is taking advantage

go chase the people you vote for! and your sw brothers adenuga and the other diesel baron
and the other 'abroad degrees' bankers who cant deliver real jobs
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by DisGuy: 12:56pm On Oct 04, 2011
hercules07:

Why are you guys not heckling Elephant Cement, Burham Cement and Eagle Cement, why is it only Dangote Cement that people are sad about? Let other cement guys crash their prices now, or are they owned by Dangote? Direct your anger at the government that gave him monopolies on these things, your Julius Berger also has a stranglehold on construction work in Nigeria, why are you guys not shouting, afterall, it is proven that JB colludes with government to steal our money in contracts, please leave Dangote alone, he is only a businessman, let the government ensure a level playing field for all in all sectors. I am even surprised it is coming from ekt who is a known capitalist and Ajanlekoko who works in telecoms firms that play very very dirty when it comes to killing competitors.

it's always easy to blame the muslim mallam, after all he has no degree foreign or local and he deals with sand sand not highly sophisticated technical products
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by manny4life(m): 12:58pm On Oct 04, 2011
Would anyone "other than his companies" utilize the same rails?

I really don't blame the man, I blame Nigerian Govt,

Dis Guy:

is it his fault people are paying theat much, he is not the only one with a license for cement, he has the biggest plant in nigeria go and blame the rest for just importing cement and telling stories every year about their expansion plants

monopoly is the fault of the government you vote in not the fault of the man who is taking advantage

go chase the people you vote for! and your sw brothers adenuga and the other diesel baron
and the other 'abroad degrees' bankers who cant deliver real jobs

Honestly, of all the wealthy people in Nigeria, whom you think don't want to be part of the industry, you think it's normal right? Well I guess you're correct about the monopoly part. It's the fault of those we vote in NOT the person taking advantage of it.
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by oKyrian: 1:35pm On Oct 04, 2011
that man is trying but i will never forget what Mr dangote and formal president Obasanjo did during his tenure as the president of this country when they sophisticated other cement companies license from importing materials for cement manufacturing and enabled only his own. somebody like Mr Ibeteto nearly died after having his goods hijacked at the ship port. I think that evil is enough to nail him.
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by COMPAQ(m): 2:37pm On Oct 04, 2011
Dangote is not the "evil" one many Nigerian's make him out to be. Blames for every monopolistic tendency, high prices, insufficient competion etc must rest with the government. It's like townsmen in Niger Delta going to camp infront of Shell gate saying shell has not provided us with light, water and road!! But the point is that is Shell now the LG,SG or FG!!?? As apeople we should direct our grieviances at the right source. Government!!
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by queensmith: 3:03pm On Oct 04, 2011
you guys make me laugh- as if the billionaire became a billionaire without investing his billions. kmt
people think investing in a capitalist society if philantropic? jokes!
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by ogundokun: 3:30pm On Oct 04, 2011
Alhaji dangote seriki magaroni, seriki cement, seriki dansa fruit juice, seriki sugar, seriki semolina, seriki rice, seriki spageti, seriki sult, seriki nigeria. Alhaji dangoteee !!!
Re: Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines by dayokanu(m): 3:42pm On Oct 04, 2011
The good thing about Dangote is that he kept is money within Nigerian economy and provided jobs for millions.

many others sent their money abroad and provide jobs for people abroad

(1) (2) (Reply)

World Bank Reports Expansion In Nigerian Manufacturing Sector / CBN Returns N5bn Illegal Bank Charges To Customers / Outsourcing Business In Nigeria: Why Can't It Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.