Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,224 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead (20533 Views)

3 Missing Men Rescued From Pacific Island After Writing Giant SOS In Sand / Sallah Day Boat Mishap At Apapa: Many Dead / Six People Die In Ikorodu Boat Mishap (Disturbing Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by nairalandkachy1: 1:54pm On Jun 26, 2023
Cross River Commissioner Gyogon Augustine Grimah has confirmed three medical students who went missing after their boat capsized during a cruise on Saturday in Calabar dead.

Thirteen medical students across different universities in Nigeria were involved in the boat accident.

Ten of them were rescued alive as soon as the boat capsized with three missing.

It was gathered that locals saw the floating bodies on Monday morning and alerted Marine Police.

The Police Commissioner said they recovered the bodies of two males and one female.

He said the bodies will be kept under proper care and contact made with relevant families before handover.

The medical students were in Calabar last week for the annual Nigeria Medical Students Association Health Week.

The week is hosted yearly in any member university within the country.

The 2023 edition was hosted in Calabar with various activities, including educational and social activities.

One of the social activities was a visit to the Marina Resorts and some students decided to enjoy a cruise ride in the resort.

President of the Nigeria Medical Students Association (NiMSA) Mr. Ejim Egbe, said the first set of 13 students had a safe ride and returned to shores.

Though they expressed some concerns, the management assured of safety before the second set of 13 boarded.

The accident occurred with the second set while 10 victims were rescued alive.

https://thenationonlineng.net/just-in-three-missing-medical-students-confirmed-dead-in-calabar-boat-cruise/

Previous Thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/7741374/cruise-boat-capsizes-calabar-river

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by Sablexxxtoons: 1:56pm On Jun 26, 2023
Probably will be buried waterside as is customarily done .so sad

1 Like

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by Khallicopyro: 2:00pm On Jun 26, 2023
Sablexxxtoons:
Probably will be buried waterside as is customarily done .so sad

They can appease the river and take the bodies anywhere they want

2 Likes

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by Benjaniblinks(m): 2:18pm On Jun 26, 2023
My Tinibu bad fortune not kill us one by one embarassed
RIP

6 Likes

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by kristian98(m): 2:18pm On Jun 26, 2023
Tinubu govt and bad luck be like 5 & 6
wailers can now tag me 3,2,1 cheesy grin

7 Likes

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by Jestin: 2:18pm On Jun 26, 2023
What is going on between humans and water this days ?
Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by FalseProphet1(m): 2:18pm On Jun 26, 2023
It's a pity, Nigerians and their disregard for safety. What would it cost the vessel operators to buy life jacket for their passengers. May God comfort their families.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by EleventhWeirdo: 2:18pm On Jun 26, 2023
Safety is so underrated in Nigeria. You will see commercialized adventures go on their businesses without sound risk management systems and compliance infrastructure to communicate and enforce safety policies in place. It makes me wonder if education here is directly proportional to foolishness or it's just the love of money and tendency to abdicate responsibility that makes us appear stupid!

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by iLoveYouToo(m): 2:19pm On Jun 26, 2023
Ouch. I once took that boat ride. Why get on a boat without a ‘life jacket’

3 Likes

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by loosecanon50(m): 2:19pm On Jun 26, 2023
Sad. May God in his infinite mercy grant them eternal rest. sad

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by Danisaint112(m): 2:19pm On Jun 26, 2023
But men get mind oo! shocked

After hearing of the Titanic sub implosion una still get mind jump enter generator canoe for similar reason.

To enter swimming pool like this now dey fear me self.

Well RIP to the dead. Loosing someone dear to you is the most painful thing/form of heartbreak to encounter.

May God give enough strength to the bereaved family to bear the irreparable loss.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by Mynd44helinues: 2:20pm On Jun 26, 2023
That is the sad story of the Nigerian State, a ride without life jacket.

Helinues shouting Yoruba ronu without the right tools can make you die hope you can see
Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by spencekat(m): 2:21pm On Jun 26, 2023
cryToo bad!May their souls RIP.
Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by westlius(m): 2:21pm On Jun 26, 2023
Khallicopyro:

The appease go long ooo
Because water and land don't mix
Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by Onyeka8: 2:21pm On Jun 26, 2023
It's so painful.
May they RIP AMEN.

1 Like

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by NastiLord: 2:21pm On Jun 26, 2023
I feel very uncomfortable using the waterways either for adventure or travelling.
Water no be anybody mate...ask OceanGate

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 2:21pm On Jun 26, 2023
Tinubu just like Buhari body odour
Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by ManWater: 2:21pm On Jun 26, 2023
Life jackets would have prevented this tragedy.
The annoying thing is that at the end of the day, life goes on & no one is made to face manslaughter charges.

5 Likes

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by IbrahimSkiba(f): 2:21pm On Jun 26, 2023
Benjaniblinks:
My Tinibu bad fortune not kill us one by one embarassed
RIP

Stop sounding foolish

11 Likes

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by GboyegaD(m): 2:22pm On Jun 26, 2023
May their souls ready in perfect peace and may God console their loved ones.

1 Like

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by Oodja: 2:22pm On Jun 26, 2023
May God grant them eternal rest. My heartfelt condolences to their parents

1 Like

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by Senioradvocate(m): 2:22pm On Jun 26, 2023
angry
Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by ecolime(m): 2:22pm On Jun 26, 2023
Benjaniblinks:
My Tinibu bad fortune not kill us my family one by one embarassed
RIP
Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by Curdlebug(m): 2:22pm On Jun 26, 2023
Chaiiee
Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by abobote: 2:23pm On Jun 26, 2023
May their souls rest in peace.

Foolish deaths like this can be avoided

1 Like

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by kingamaa(m): 2:23pm On Jun 26, 2023
Sad sad sad. Very sad

What happened to the life jackets?

Kai! What a terrible way to die.

All the hard work, sacrifices, hopes, dreams gone just like that.

May the Almighty console the parents and loved ones.

It is well

1 Like

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by AFvckingAlpha(m): 2:24pm On Jun 26, 2023
The longer they were declared missing, the less likely they’d be found alive.

My heart is with the family, so sorry for their losses!

Someone must held accountable for this tragedy. Someone head must roll.

Yeah I said what I said
Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by Risingblue008(m): 2:25pm On Jun 26, 2023
Good bye
Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by Pwettylinda(f): 2:26pm On Jun 26, 2023
Khallicopyro:

Take the body and bury anywhere you like nothing dey happen which appease which yeye River

3 Likes

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by Johnson5258: 2:27pm On Jun 26, 2023
Avoid water this time, national and international, water dey vex.

1 Like

Re: Calabar Boat Mishap: 3 Missing Medical Students Confirmed Dead by owiko(m): 2:27pm On Jun 26, 2023
S

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Forte Oil Petrol Tanker Tumbles Around Lagos Toll Gate / Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? / The Moment Overloaded Car Fell Over Sideways (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.