Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

What I Noticed In My Neighborhood - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What I Noticed In My Neighborhood (40419 Views)

What I Noticed About My Uncle's Child / Something I Noticed In Relationships And Marriages / Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by ibinaboonline: 3:29am On Jun 28, 2023
Well said. Stark, sad reality everywhere in Nigeria.
ceeceeuwa:
I live on the island where you can sarcastically call Lekki phase 4 πŸ˜€. The electricity destribution here is nothing to write home about. Infact you can count the number of hours you have light over here in a month. They bring it for few minutes each day for a couple of days towards when it is time for them to destribute the bills. People here have been generating electricity for themselves by using their generating sets.
Infact, it is no longer news that most Nigerians have lost hope in the Discos .
In the wake of the fuel subsidy removal, I discovered that the few homes who could afford fuelling their generating sets hardly do so. Even the more affluent ones that other residents rely on to charge their phones when ever they put on their Gen set have gone 😫.

Those that could confidently run their Gen all night preceding the subsidy removal only power it on for few minutes to pump water then off it goes.

The one that baffled me last night was that I looked out my window and everywhere was so dark except for the moonlight. Even a building close by that I could confidently say they have been having light all night for the past 2 years of my residing here was out of light last night. Which way Nigeria? 🀷

The standard of living of Nigerians have dropped drastically!

Abeg someone should help me calculate how much we have saved from the subsidy since May 29 let me collect my own share and know wether na solar panel and inverter I go use my own buy 😫.

Calculating.....
4 trillion x 29 days = ??

I just tireπŸ˜₯
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by ibinaboonline: 3:36am On Jun 28, 2023
There was one day I woke out of shock when a motorbike sped by and I started crying.

Chai. Who dey ride powerbike for night na.
pocohantas:
The bigger question is, why are you still there?
Is it really close to your office or impacting your life and career in anyway? Bad water, evil traffic , exorbitant rent, expensive services and foodstuff. Fake guys and girls. 3 people in a mini-flat...etc

Anything after Ikate, count me out. Island no get light and when they do, they pay through the nose.
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Love800(m): 3:37am On Jun 28, 2023
Why dont u use the solar to pump water?
GodWrites:
I thank myself every day for my solar. I only use gen whenever I want to pump water.
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by ibinaboonline: 3:37am On Jun 28, 2023
Point of correction: 550/liter 😐
pocohantas:

You can't move then. Since you have money to build house in Lekki Phase 4, you and your neighbours should run solar. That is the way out now because you can't manage on N500 a litre.
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by ibinaboonline: 3:51am On Jun 28, 2023
Really happy with your optimism with the Nigerian system. Like, give us prepaid meter and all works smoothly πŸ˜„. Very touching. You know, they won't yank the billing rates up once they realize they're not making as much money as they do with estimated billing.
pocohantas:

It was done before. I even told them it has always been like that and they should have done the connection themselves. E wan come bring argument. So I apologised immediately. Anyway, nothing is impossible in Nigeria. The electrician doing the bypass might be the same person to tip them off.

Nigerians waste energy. Asides that, the estimated billing gets me very angry. With prepaid, they would be forced to give light. Not this estimated that makes people beat NEPA and they would in turn keep that area in blackout.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by habex005(m): 4:19am On Jun 28, 2023
ceeceeuwa:
I live on the island where you can sarcastically call Lekki phase 4 πŸ˜€. The electricity destribution here is nothing to write home about. Infact you can count the number of hours you have light over here in a month. They bring it for few minutes each day for a couple of days towards when it is time for them to destribute the bills. People here have been generating electricity for themselves by using their generating sets.
In the wake of the fuel subsidy removal, I discovered that the few homes who could afford fuelling their generating sets hardly do so. Even the more affluent ones that other residents rely on to charge their phones when ever they put on their Gen set have gone 😫.

Those that could confidently run their Gen all night preceding the subsidy removal only power it on for few minutes to pump water then off it goes.

The one that baffled me last night was that I looked out my window and everywhere was so dark except for the moonlight. Even a building close by that I could confidently say they have been having light all night for the past 2 years of my residing here was out of light last night. Which way Nigeria? 🀷

Abeg someone should help me calculate how much we have saved from the subsidy since May 29 let me collect my own share and know wether na solar panel and inverter I go use my own buy 😫.

Calculating.....

I just tireπŸ˜₯
Buy gas carburettor and get rest of mind..it works like magic
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Nonywendy(m): 4:30am On Jun 28, 2023
ceeceeuwa:

Its my personal building and I work from home. We have been managing well before this whole thing started. I guess it is bitting everyone one way or the other.
Ajah and sangotedo is still good.
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Maysdevices(f): 4:41am On Jun 28, 2023
Skyview01:

"I would also like to show you why I am Pocohantas..." - Now, this is getting interesting, where in my blanket?
Lmaooo.

These guys are hella amusing.

3 Likes

Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Maysdevices(f): 4:45am On Jun 28, 2023
Nezzjnr:

There are more Richer People on the Mainland than on the Island.

Take a stroll to Magodo... Gbagada... Surulere... Ikeja.

Especially Ikeja...
Maybe as rich but not richer.

That’s impossible.
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Nonywendy(m): 4:45am On Jun 28, 2023
pocohantas:

Ajegunle is the problem. I am sure your kids wouldn't mind Ikeja or Gbagada. Close to 12 hours is fair enough for your Sangotedo.

Great minds like you I presume. smiley

Lol. You run at certain areas, I have never had any reason to run here. I had a colleague living at Badore and they ran steady. She was robbed too. Anywhere there is a concentration of hungry people, there would be vices. And Sangotedo/remote Island isn't left out from that list. More reason you are staying in an "estate". You had to add the ESTATE.
U are right. U see Ajah from alesh hotel down to badore and addo road, temple run wey dey there no be small. To me sangotedo is a bit better
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by b0rn2fuck(m): 4:48am On Jun 28, 2023
ceeceeuwa:

Calculating.....

I just tireπŸ˜₯
una own still better, I run a game centre in one of my shop, I have not operate for two weeks while business is on daily basis, light come gree come, fuel dey available, we no fit buy, she I sabbi use at least 10 litters daily, to use one litter now become impossible, the only time.i have manage to buy fuel now na when I wan pump water back home and since I pour the two litter, when the tank full, I no free on my gene again, but people dey suffer oooo, the suffer pass buhari suffer but thunder fire buhari, he suffer ham still put baba on top ,I pray for baba solve this problem because na only God know say I cry so tay for OBi make him enter then ,Na now I blame Goodluck Jonathan for even leaving the power easily

4 Likes

Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Maysdevices(f): 4:49am On Jun 28, 2023
zed7:

You're not showing any action, I was actually waiting for your TKO but you ain't doing much, just going round in circles. I may have to switch teams because it seems the lady is doing a better job at trying to take you down.
Hahahahahaha

2 Likes

Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by b0rn2fuck(m): 4:53am On Jun 28, 2023
habex005:

Buy gas carburettor and get rest of mind..it works like magic
how much be gas carburator
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Maysdevices(f): 4:59am On Jun 28, 2023
Jagermeister:

The first part of your message is agreeable. There's contempt in her submissions and she's not doing anything to hide it.

But chief, the rest of your message portrays you as self-absorbed and egotistical. I no lie give you, some of us don see that Island upside down, inside out but we no carry am for head like gala.
Yep. The contempt is just crazy.

The island is also nothing special as you have said. However I prefer it to most parts of the mainland.
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Enemyofpeace: 5:21am On Jun 28, 2023
Most things are now very expenses and most people cannot avoid it. May God help us in Nigeria and bring down the course of living.

I pity those who did not go to school
Some of them don't even know that
afternoon sleep is called sylvester. Ajepako do you know?
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by gabbytabby: 5:22am On Jun 28, 2023
Currently adding meter and the cost is

15k application fee
118k for 3 phase meter
40k for reclin wire and cutout
20k estimated to complete

Sso one needs about 200k for new installation and 160k for replacement post paid to prepaid.

pocohantas:
@Wunmi590, a lot of places farther down the Island do not have light. Some have estate grids that supplies them 24hrs power at a high rate. I am not moved by the 24hrs light they chant because most times it is not from the national grid and you need balls of steel to put on your AC overnight or leave your refrigerator on for 24hrs. Anyway, you get to charge your devices. Not bad at all.

They should give everyone prepaid meter, so that a whole area wouldn't suffer because some do not pay electricity bills. Let the people that are willing to pay have light. Until we get to that level, people should look well before chooking themselves into some areas. Except you are ready to generate your own power.
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by pocohantas(f): 5:30am On Jun 28, 2023
ibinaboonline:
Really happy with your optimism with the Nigerian system. Like, give us prepaid meter and all works smoothly πŸ˜„. Very touching. You know, they won't yank the billing rates up once they realize they're not making as much money as they do with estimated billing.

It is not about things working smoothly. I never said things would work smoothly, but people would pay for what they consume and if there is no light, discos would suffer. They increased my tariff last month and I am not angry because there is light!! It is still a cheaper alternative to using generator sets.

gabbytabby:
Currently adding meter and the cost is

15k application fee
118k for 3 phase meter
40k for reclin wire and cutout
20k estimated to complete

Sso one needs about 200k for new installation and 160k for replacement post paid to prepaid.

You can do 1 phase meter na lipsrsealed. But you are right, this is quite expensive for the common man.

Nonywendy:

U are right. U see Ajah from alesh hotel down to badore and addo road, temple run wey dey there no be small. To me sangotedo is a bit better

That one's Ajegunle upbringing is what is affecting him. He vowed never to raise his kids on the mainland and na Sangotedo e come dey stay. Small nyash dey shake.

6 Likes

Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Nobody: 6:05am On Jun 28, 2023
Slynation:
since 1998?? I bet you won't even know your way around Anambra state anymore, concerning the security issues, it's no secret the FG can't secure live and properties, so communities have resulted in creating and sponsoring various vigilante groups.

I will only speak for my neighborhood, we are secured in terms of security as we have various military personnels mounting guide on strategic places around the quarters...

But Anambra state is trying in aspects of security, forget whatever you read online most times, some of them are just to draw traffic, since the death of double lion, the activities of ESN and Military personnels reduced drastically, people only sit at home every Monday just because they have made that particular day for street clean up, meeting schedule of various unions etc. because like you know, an average Igbo man can belong to over 5 different unions always having clashes of meeting mostly Sundays, but that "Mondays" eased off so many stress for them and people already have that mindset of business/work free day.

Thanks for the frst hand information. I hope to visit sometimes in the future. I have lots of relatives in Awka.

1 Like

Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Nobody: 6:07am On Jun 28, 2023
ukaface:
What am even thinking is how school children Dey cope?
I remember my pman giving me #200 per week that year for school chops and I was able to manage was even saving like #20 -#50 per week .
How are school children managing? If pure water #5 no even Dey ehn?? Chai!

So y’all still think BAT our saviour will save us like this?

What's doing this oneπŸ™„

Small Nyash dey shake.

You too want to be Claiming that you are an Oldie niyen ooπŸ™„
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Caseless: 6:11am On Jun 28, 2023
dawnomike:
Epe is Lekki phase 5 grin lol
Ibeju Lekki.
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Iffexx: 6:25am On Jun 28, 2023
I don't understand, you where born and brought up on the main land and you now live on the high land and that makes you what again..
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Caseless: 6:25am On Jun 28, 2023
ceeceeuwa:

Most people idea of island does not go beyond Ajah.
I lived the greater part of my life on the mainland. Before the Lagos Badagry express way was constructed it was hell for people living on that axis. I could remember trekking from volks to Okoko because of the terrible roads. I visited the mainland this February and we were robbed in the traffic between Barracks gate to volks. I still have scars from that robbery episode. I get panic attacks when I remember it. We all can't live on the mainland.
With the 2nd phase of the road construction project project from Eleko junction to Abraham Adesanya the traffic issues will soon ease off. This area is gradually developing and has prospect.
My family's little investment here will still be beneficial to my children in the nearest future.

On the food aspect,people still go to Epe to restock for the month. Kara market is even closer than Epe. So living is a choice!

It is easier and faster for me when traveling outside Lagos. I'd get to my destination before anyone travelling from the mainland.

On people who choose to livie fake lives,it's their choice.
This part of the island is not as congested as people think.
We get fresh air from the ocean atleast free from the pungent gutter smell that is synonymous with 'Lagos'.
Has this road been fixed? The last time I was there, the volks-IyanaIba section was terrible. I hate the enitre stretch of that road; starting from Mile2 to IyanaIba. Very risky.
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by ukaface(f): 6:43am On Jun 28, 2023
Evolutionlove:

What's doing this oneπŸ™„

Small Nyash dey shake.

You too want to be Claiming that you are an Oldie niyen ooπŸ™„
Smh
πŸ€¦πŸΎβ€β™€οΈ
Nothing is wrong with me o oga
Let the small nyash shake in peace
How am I claiming oldie? Because I Dey wonder how school children Dey cope?

Wait fess, person wey finish secondary school 2011 no reach to claim oldie? Abi is something wrong with that bayi?

Which kain shaming be this one bayi? Nawa o
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by adebayo201: 7:05am On Jun 28, 2023
pocohantas:

All the way to Epe? One of my problems is that things that are a stonethrow away automatically becomes serious on the Island.

I don't know the people that think Phase 4 is congested. I doubt anyone does because the farther you go on the Island,the less congested it is, the more traffic, the cheaper the rent and less amenities and night life.

But like you said, living is a choice. Enjoy your Phase 4. We have light here in Amukoko. smiley

Which of the Amukooko The one in Ajeromi/Ifelodun LGA??
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by ajepako(f): 7:08am On Jun 28, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Most things are now very expenses and most people cannot avoid it. May God help us in Nigeria and bring down the course of living.

tongue tongue

I pity those who did not go to school
Some of them don't even know that
afternoon sleep is called sylvester. Ajepako do you know?

No l don't

Na Sylvanus l know

Werey Ilorin tongue tongue
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by eagleonearth(m): 7:08am On Jun 28, 2023
ceeceeuwa:

I lived the greater part of my life on the mainland. Before the Lagos Badagry express way was constructed it was hell for people living on that axis. I could remember trekking from volks to Okoko because of the terrible roads. I visited the mainland this February and we were robbed in the traffic between Barracks gate to volks. I still have scars from that robbery episode. I get panic attacks when I remember it. We all can't live on the mainland.
With the 2nd phase of the road construction project project from Eleko junction to Abraham Adesanya the traffic issues will soon ease off. This area is gradually developing and has prospect.
My family's little investment here will still be beneficial to my children in the nearest future.

On the food aspect,people still go to Epe to restock for the month. Kara market is even closer than Epe. So living is a choice!

It is easier and faster for me when traveling outside Lagos. I'd get to my destination before anyone travelling from the mainland.

We get fresh air from the ocean atleast free from the pungent gutter smell that is synonymous with 'Lagos'.
but power is non negotiable for a convenient city life.

Please how can I link Lagos Ibadan expressway from Epe?
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by eagleonearth(m): 7:13am On Jun 28, 2023
ukaface:

Smh
πŸ€¦πŸΎβ€β™€οΈ
Nothing is wrong with me o oga
Let the small nyash shake in peace
How am I claiming oldie? Because I Dey wonder how school children Dey cope?

Wait fess, person wey finish secondary school 2011 no reach to claim oldie? Abi is something wrong with that bayi?

Which kain shaming be this one bayi? Nawa o
e no reach oo. We wey don finish youth service by then nko? We never even claim oldie finish
Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by azpekuliar: 7:17am On Jun 28, 2023
ceeceeuwa:

I just secured a parcel of land in Abijo. Opposite Corona school. Greenwood park it is called or so. Not a lot of infrastructure there now but I am sure that will come with time.

I have told myself that when it is time to build, I will build as if the national grid does not exist. The old money areas of the mainland and even the so-called poorer neighborhoods have way better power supply than the best parts of the Island. Akowonjo were I currently reside, I would say we average about 18 hours of power a day.

By the way, I do not consider anybody living beyond Lekki Phase 1 (some might be gracious to extend that to VGC) as living on the Island.

2 Likes

Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by randymirrors(f): 7:18am On Jun 28, 2023
pocohantas:
The bigger question is, why are you still there?
Is it really close to your office or impacting your life and career in anyway? Bad water, evil traffic , exorbitant rent, expensive services and foodstuff. Fake guys and girls. 3 people in a mini-flat...etc

There was someone I dated briefly then. Can't even call it dating cos it couldn't happen because I visited him once and couldn't imagine going back to that horrid place again. In my mind, I'm like, why suffer cos you want to live in lekki?

Water doesn't always flow from the tap. Even when it does, it's colored. Everywhere was dirty cos no water. I knew there and then that the relationship wouldn't work cos I can't eat food made with dirty water or bathe with dirty water. Meanwhile, I stay in Sangotedo and when he complains I don't visit, I'll just be like "distance".

Now, the fake life is what I find the most irritating about the island.

pocohantas:

Anything after Ikate
, count me out. Island no get light and when they do, they pay through the nose.

Ikate, Lekki sef no dey get light. Na beginning of this year or late last year (Dec, if I remember correctly) they started having light and electricity has been stable since then.

I went for an interview. Now it was time to negotiate salary. I was asked my salary expectation. I told them 950k. Said it was way above their budget. Told them that was my minimum and gave my reasons (traffic, hike in fuel price and stress of commuting). Asked if I was willing to negotiate. I reiterated my minimum.

I didn't get the job. But that don't mean I'd settle for less. I didn't come to this world to suffer. Even if I'm able to get a job that pays within that range, I'll never live in Lekki down to Chevron. Chevron side too no get water. God forbids.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Magnoliaa(f): 7:20am On Jun 28, 2023
Ibkrichie:
Interland πŸ˜‚

That could work. πŸ˜‚

2 Likes

Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by ukaface(f): 7:22am On Jun 28, 2023
eagleonearth:
e no reach oo. We wey don finish youth service by then nko? We never even claim oldie finish

What is even this ish about claiming oldie?if you like claim am if you like no claim am it still doesn’t change the fact that you are oldπŸ˜›
If you like born children by that time E no concern me na.
I spoke Abi wrote my concern and you are relating it to oldie πŸ€¦πŸΎβ€β™€οΈπŸ€¦πŸΎβ€β™€οΈ

2 Likes

Re: What I Noticed In My Neighborhood by Nicols(m): 7:38am On Jun 28, 2023
ceeceeuwa:

Its my personal building and I work from home. We have been managing well before this whole thing started. I guess it is bitting everyone one way or the other.

Looks like we are Neighbours.
Get a solar system. I saw it coming so I was prepared for it. I took 5 kegs to the fuel station just a week before inauguration and got them all filled to the brim. That was about 160liters plus 80 liters in my tank. I laughed when people at the fuel station were just asking me if fuel was about to get scarce.

The money I should have used to complete my fence and do screeding/painting, I used it to install solar system. Since then, I have not touched any of my 3 generators. About to sell two of my them cos they are of no use to me.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ladies Why Do We Keep Deceiving Ourselves? / Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL / What Would You Do If Your House-Girl Did This To Your Child? (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.