Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,162 members, 7,835,891 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd (38356 Views)

See What I Saw In A Church I Visited In South Asia! / Does The Church I Attend Matter? / Timi Dakolo Married In My Church, I Knew Of The Rape-Pastor Yemi Davids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by elonize(m): 9:51pm On Jul 04, 2023
thinkmoney:

I think I have a good answer to this through Bible and history. I will only be able to answer after work please. But I will definitely respond today
ok.have u closed now?
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by thinkmoney(m): 10:10pm On Jul 04, 2023
elonize:
ok.have u closed now?
I have responded to u na

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by SonOfHercules: 3:20am On Jul 05, 2023
elonize:
instead of u to close ur eyes n focus,u r praying n d same time looking at yanch
Abeg lemme joor...
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by remsonik(f): 7:19am On Jul 06, 2023
elonize:
wait,for dis Nigeria?
yes
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by elonize(m): 10:06am On Jul 06, 2023
thinkmoney:

Christianity didn’t come from catholic.
When we understand the Bible we will see clearly that Christianity is a religion that had its start from the very early beginning.
This religion is based on the Bible and the Bible made us know that humans had direct relationship with God in the beginning. They had laws guiding them and they were happy. There was the prospect of this happiness continuing forever.
But then human defaulted and the direct relationship with God ended. They started suffering the opposite of things they should enjoy.
God almost immediately developed a plan on how to restore this relationship and the happy state of humans.
Then there came a time that maybe because of the unfavorable worsening conditions, people started calling on the name of God. We can imagine they started praying, treating their neighbors well and sacrificing all sort of things from their properties of livestock and plants just in an attempt to curry Gods favor. “There was also born to Seth a son, and he named him Eʹnosh. At that time people began calling on the name of Yahweh.” Genesis 4:26. This is a stage of religion... a continuation of human attempt at relationship with God.
In the aforementioned period, it was the conscience of people (which hasn’t become as bad as it is now) that was regulating all they were doing. Adam too that related directly with God was alive most of this time to most likely tell stories of the reality and power of God. Enoch too preached around this time.
Then God revealed himself to Abraham after the flood. He went on with the practice of making sacrifices to appease God. He even gave a tithe to a priest-king at Gods instruction. Still in this time, people were generally guided by their conscience.
The Bible based religion took a formal form when God after some thousands of years gave Moses some laws, rituals and codes to guide a set of people. They started practicing what we know today as Judaism (Judaism as a term and religion today though is very different from the religion and code of conduct God revealed to Moses).
This new stage of relationship with God was part of a phase of human relationship with God, it will soon metamorphosis and develop into another phase.
The Religion of Moses continued too for some thousands of years. This religion we have come to know was basically in many aspect a kind of blueprint or raw data to a religion that will be Christianity. Example, aspects like sacrificing of lamps in the religion of Moses was a pointer to the future when Jesus will be sacrificed.
Moses religion was an “ethnoreligion“ as it was a religion that was basically known to be practiced by a particular tribe which is Israelites. To practice this kind of religion one will in some ways nationalize and become Israelite.
Jesus like Moses then came and gave many rules and guidelines to ways we can better relate with God. He based this rules on the prior revealed rules of Moses. He however pointed that many of the practices in the time of Moses were like a sample and pointer to what he was teaching. Hence many of Jesus guidelines though precipitated on Moses laws were a more developed version of it. Example, Jesus now showed that it’s not just a limited set of people that can worship God in a delineated geographically environment but that it’s all people from everywhere in the world that can relate with God by the guidelines Jesus revealed. Hence, Christianity which is a further developed form of Moses religion went beyond ethnicity and became a global religion. It’s not an “ethnoreligion”.
This phase of relationship with God was later termed Christianity after Jesus CHRIST. (Like the former phase was called Moses religion). We are presently in that phase of relationship.
Catholicism too didn’t start like a formal name. It’s was another way some Christians started recognizing themselves. It meant universal religion. And it’s because Christians about a 100years after Jesus were in many places of the world.
Later this catholic as a term became not just another way some Christians were identifying themselves but also a way they started using to differentiate themselves from other Christians. This is because some sad conditions started springing up shortly after Jesus death. Christians started dividing into sects. Some followed more Paul, others thought themselves as Apollo’s followers, while some think Peter was the sole authority. Later there were those that called themselves ‘the church’, some universal (catholic) church and some Arian’s.
Out of these groups, it was catholic that gained political influence and then recognition. Then many emperors converted to catholic version of Christianity. In the year 380 or there about, Emperor Theodosios 1 proclaimed catholic version of Christianity the state religion. All this while even till today, other sects were available in different forms and with varying doctrines.

I hope with my long history and explanation I have given you a better knowledge to understand and even explain to somebody like that your friend in the future.
I must point out to you though, that Catholics from almost when it became a state religion have deviated from the teachings of the Bible just like Judaism we know today do not really conform to the religion of Moses.
bravo bravo..omili crango...Garcia's...😍😍😍😍😍.
D guy isn't a frnd of mine o..he's sm1 I was discussing dis Catholic tin with.
I read dis n I belle full😍😍😍.
Wen u said moses religion was ethno...I den remembered d walls of Jericho wer dat prostitute dat was saved,joined d Israelite n bcame a Christian

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by thinkmoney(m): 12:34pm On Jul 06, 2023
elonize:
bravo bravo..omili crango...Garcia's...😍😍😍😍😍.
D guy isn't a frnd of mine o..he's sm1 I was discussing dis Catholic tin with.
I read dis n I belle full😍😍😍.
Wen u said moses religion was ethno...I den remembered d walls of Jericho wer dat prostitute dat was saved,joined d Israelite n bcame a Christian
Thank you so much. I am glad you found my piece helpful . And the harlot in Jericho is a fine example that that you remembered really

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by elonize(m): 1:47pm On Jul 06, 2023
thinkmoney:

Thank you so much. I am glad you found my piece helpful . And the harlot in Jericho is a fine example that that you remembered really
how can I make a topic of mine headlines in nairaland
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by thinkmoney(m): 3:52pm On Jul 06, 2023
elonize:
how can I make a topic of mine headlines in nairaland
I haven’t managed that as well

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Ken4Christ: 4:34pm On Jul 06, 2023
OluwaLina1:
Happy sunday nairalanders.
I moved to a new area(Student area) and decided to attend a nearby church.

These are what I noticed.

-- I was the only one that used scarf.Even the choristers and the female ministers didn't use scarf.

--Almost all the female members are putting on trousers,ladies that put on gowns/skirt are not up to 20%.
I was even surprised that the two female ministers and the female choristers also put on trouser to climb the church alter.

--During prayer intersection,I noticed everybody were praying in tongues and it seems am the only person not filled with the holy spirit to speak in tongues.
Even when we were asked to pray on our offering,people still prayed in tongues.

And it just seems I'm odd among them or is it that am not modernized?

Head covering is not a doctrine. For anything to be a doctrine, it must have at least two or three witnesses. Apostle Paul only mentioned it one. He was not even addressing all women. He was talking to married women. But he ended up the topic by saying that there is no such practice.

Trouser wear by women is not a sin provided you are decently dressed.

Speaking in tongues is scriptural. It is the manifestation that follows the baptism with the Holy Spirit. And every child of God ought to be baptized with the Holy Spirit and speak in other tongues.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by remsonik(f): 8:22pm On Aug 06, 2023
elonize:
wait,for dis Nigeria?
Yes o
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Padipadi(m): 10:28pm On Nov 19, 2023
Dadimendino:

My dear do research about Islam. You will identify the truth and will be convinced and embrace Islam.

I can see you are not far from the truth. All your specifications, preferences and expectations for a place of worship are all found in Islam.

Give it a try and your inner peace would be guaranteed
So you think there isn't janjaweêd in Islam. If the Church the op is saying is erring, are there not erring ones in Islam?
You this brainwashed kewu water drinker.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

EFCC Church Billboard Spotted In Benin / T.B. Joshua “Delivers” 2 Lesbian Partners During Church Service (Photos) / Dunamis Church Shares Christmas Packages, As Thousands Besiege Glory Dome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.