Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,871 members, 7,844,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Kia Sorento Story. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Kia Sorento Story. (611 Views)

Between A Peugeot 206, Kia Rio And Ford Focus, Which Will You Recommend / Kia Sorento P0443 / Error P2138 In Kia Sorento (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kia Sorento Story. by Soknown: 4:07am On Jul 08, 2023
I am a person that believes in functionality of a device, being fit for purpose is important to me. I was using a Kia Picanto 2009, i have owned the car since 2020. The Picanto Chill is a very good and reliable car, fit for purpose and the maintenance cost is within my budget. The car has taken me every where that i needed to go. The only downsides is space, the boot size is about 157l

This is what, whatcar review has to say about Picanto; Value for money is the most important weapon in the armoury of any city car, but the Kia Picanto offers impressive value even among its peers.

Prices are affordable, and for such a nominal outlay you'll get a car with an impressive load of equipment. And a surprising amount of space.

There's plenty of room in any of the four seats, and six-footers will have no problem travelling in the back the five-door body style means easy access to the rear, and only the tiny boot limits its practicality. The dash is good, too: solidly built and logically laid out, even if the materials aren't particularly appealing.

If there is a problem, it's that the Picanto isn't a car for keen drivers. The engines are underpowered, there's too much body roll in corners and the steering is short of feel. The ride is a bit choppy, too, but for drivers who just want A-to-B city transport, it's fine. https://www.whatcar.com/kia/picanto/hatchback/used-review/n422.

The Picanto is a great small car that’s big on value and interior space. Like all Kia’s it is well put together and generously equipped, while light steering and a tiny turning circle make it ideal for nipping in and out of small spaces. Kia injected new life into the model with a facelift in 2008, giving it new lights and bumpers. As before, it is still available exclusively as a five-door, making it ideal if you have young children.

It’s been a surprise hit as a new car, which means that there’s now a wide range of models available at budget prices. One of the few black marks against its name is a less than impressive three star Euro NCAP crash safety rating. However, all cars sold from the beginning of January 2010 come with a seven-year warranty, making it a great buy.

The dashboard is good-looking with all major controls angled towards the driver. The steering doesn’t adjust for reach but most owners will find the driving position acceptable. All the buttons are big, chunky and easy to find, but some of the radio/CD controls are a bit fiddly. The MP3-compatible CD player does away with the need for a bulky CD multichanger, though iPod connectivity on top spec models will be more appealing to younger buyers.

Considering the Picanto is a small city car the interior is remarkably roomy. The front passenger has a decent amount of head and legroom, although some fidgeting is required if you want to open the glovebox. The rear seats are only really suitable for regular use by children, although short journeys with four adults on board is bearable. The seats are pretty good – firm enough for medium-distance journeys but comfy enough for day-to-day trips. https://www.parkers.co.uk/kia/picanto/hatchback-2004/used-review/interior/

The Picanto arrived in UK dealerships in May 2004, coinciding with Kia's 60th anniversary of vehicle manufacturing. Originally offered powered by either a 60bhp 1.0-litre (with a five speed manual gearbox) or a 65bhp 1.1-litre unit (that gave customers the option of a manual or a four-speed automatic set-up), S, GS and LX models were initially available. They were followed in November 2005 with a luxury leather-trimmed SE+ model. A Zapp! Limited edition model followed in May 2006 offering a year's free insurance and a Zipp derivative with a full length sunroof followed shortly after.

A facelift in the summer of 2007 softened the lines around the Picanto's front end and upgraded its interior with better quality plastics. The new trim levels kicked off with the standard model than run through Picanto 2 before topping off with the sporty Picanto 3 which features a mesh grille, fog lamps and 15" alloy wheels. The Ice launch edition model featured air-conditioning and a number of other features and came at a competitive price.

What You Get
Despite the massive strides Kia have made in recent years, there are still a fair quotient of potential customers who view the marque in rather outdated terms. The Picanto city car may be just the vehicle to change a few perceptions, offering as it does a resolutely modern take on metropolitan motoring. Cheeky, cheap and distinctive, the Picanto nails at least two of Kia's 'young, sporty and friendly' brand aspirations.

As befits a car with a high roofline, front headroom is an impressive 1,003mm and there's 996mm in the rear, which means that there's ample space for taller drivers. Front legroom is also very good thanks to the compact engines, with 1,041mm up front and up to 872mm in the rear. Shoulder room is very good front and rear although this is a car that you may not want to travel in five up. With 19 storage areas dotted about the cabin, Kia have done their homework when it comes to sheer utility, learning lessons from their huge selling Sedona and Carens MPV range.

It would be unreasonable to expect a huge amount of luggage space given the car's urban remit, and the 157 litres of available room won't make the Picanto your first choice for a trip to IKEA. Fold the seats flat and there's a reasonable 882 litres of space but you'll struggle for length. The 60/40 split rear seat back offers a little extra carrying space if you're travelling with three on board. The cabin comes in three different two-tone trims, black/silver, black/orange and black/blue. A fairly rudimentary manual temperature control system is fitted as standard although there is an optional air conditioning system. https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/car-reviews/kia/picanto/picanto-2009/

The only thing that i have changed on the Picanto is the battery, apart from paying for the road tax about £150, Insurance about £350, and the annual MOT which is about £30. I do spend about £35 to fill the tank depending on the retailer.

It was good city car until there was an addition to the family. The car cannot contain two children and another one in a car seat. The family decided that we need a family car. We were considering MPVs and mini vans, we considered Citroen C4 Space Tourer but we changed our minds after wide consultation and research.

Eventually we settled for a Kia Sorento.

Re: Kia Sorento Story. by Soknown: 4:21am On Jul 08, 2023
We started to look around at the car lots around our neighbourhood, our town is a port town so there is a lot to visit. After a week of going around in circles. We stopped at Stoneacres, they deal with, Mini, Vauxhaul, Kia and i think Citroen. In the office i told them i need a Sorento. They asked for the year, i said 2019 - 2021. we were shown round the lots, a couple of 2019 and 2020. we decided to take a grey 2019 Sorento Gtline 2.2 Cdri.

• Model: Kia Sorento 2.2 CRDi 4WD Auto GT-Line S
• Engine: 2.2-litre diesel
• Power: 197bhp
• Top speed: 127mph
• 0-60mph: 9.1 seconds
• Average mpg: 37.7
• CO2 emissions: 196g/km
• Warranty: Seven years/100,000 miles

Engine/gearbox: 2.2-litre 4cyl turbo diesel, eight-speed auto -Power: 197 horsepower -Top speed: 127mph -0-60mph: 9.1 seconds -Economy: 46.3mpg -CO2/BIK tax liability: 161g/km / 37% (2018/19) -Boot space: 142 (3rd row up)/605 litres (3rd row down). It produces 197bhp and 441Nm of torque, which delivers quite strong performance. It is a beast on the motorway.

So we were given the contract information, because we wanted to do a PCP ( personal contract plan). The monthly repayment was higher than our budget so we started bargaining. We don't need paint cover, Pet cover. We retained the MOT/Repair plan and the tyre plan.
Re: Kia Sorento Story. by Or11: 5:35am On Jul 08, 2023
I still prefer Mazda cars. Japanese that feels like a German.
Soknown:
We started to look around at the car lots around our neighbourhood, our town is a port town so there is a lot to visit. After a week of going around in circles. We stopped at Stoneacres, they deal with, Mini, Vauxhaul, Kia and i think Citroen. In the office i told them i need a Sorento. They asked for the year, i said 2019 - 2021. we were shown round the lots, a couple of 2019 and 2020. we decided to take a grey 2019 Sorento Gtline 2.2 Cdri.

• Model: Kia Sorento 2.2 CRDi 4WD Auto GT-Line S
• Engine: 2.2-litre diesel
• Power: 197bhp
• Top speed: 127mph
• 0-60mph: 9.1 seconds
• Average mpg: 37.7
• CO2 emissions: 196g/km
• Warranty: Seven years/100,000 miles

Engine/gearbox: 2.2-litre 4cyl turbo diesel, eight-speed auto -Power: 197 horsepower -Top speed: 127mph -0-60mph: 9.1 seconds -Economy: 46.3mpg -CO2/BIK tax liability: 161g/km / 37% (2018/19) -Boot space: 142 (3rd row up)/605 litres (3rd row down). It produces 197bhp and 441Nm of torque, which delivers quite strong performance. It is a beast on the motorway.

So we were given the contract information, because we wanted to do a PCP ( personal contract plan). The monthly repayment was higher than our budget so we started bargaining. We don't need paint cover, Pet cover. We retained the MOT/Repair plan and the tyre plan.

1 Like

Re: Kia Sorento Story. by Soknown: 12:51am On Jul 09, 2023
Or11:
I still prefer Mazda cars. Japanese that feels like a German.
Check out the new Mazda CX 90

Re: Kia Sorento Story. by Soknown: 1:14am On Jul 09, 2023
Ok back to the story. after many family meetings, consultation and researches. We decided to pick up the plan. We supplied the necessary details for credit checks. All documents sent via mail. We did not need to attend the shop for the documents. Credit score was satisfactory so the shop called us to schedule delivery dates. The final documents were sent via mail, auto-signed and reverted to the shop. Two days later the Car was delivered to my driveway, few days to Christmas of that year.

I was working that evening, so i did not have time to sit down and study the car. It require rigorous study to master the functions on the instrument panel, it could be easier for anyone else but for me, coming from a Picanto to Sorento, I need to study the manual.

After my night shift. I sat down with the manual, a very bulky and bogus textbook full of diagrams, pictures and instructions. For a large, seven-seat SUV, it doesn't just hide its bulk well, it is truly elegant. The same is true inside, with the pictures revealing a rich palette of materials that would appear to make this a very calming and relaxing place to be. Sitting down in the driver's seat for the first time as the owner brought a different feeling. the sight, feel and sense of it all is totally different.
Anyways to gain entrance, the driver's is soft touch entrance as long as you are with the key, press the black dot on the door and it unlocks itself. You can use the side step or you just hop inside as you like.

Re: Kia Sorento Story. by Soknown: 1:20am On Jul 09, 2023
DISCLAIMER - Those pictures were gotten from Taunton road car centre. That is not my car. Pictures for illustration purpose.

(1) (Reply)

Help Needed / 2004 Camey Emitting .black Particles From Exhaust (HELP) / Pricing Of Low Milage Vehocles?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.