Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,721 members, 7,813,379 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:32 AM

Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car (23968 Views)

Let's Discuss Catalyst Or Car Catalytic Converters! / Car Guzzling Fuel? You Might Need Replacing Your Car Catalytic Converter / Why Do Mechanics And Panel Beaters Always Steal Catalyst In SUV? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by OmoOgunOriginal(f): 8:21am On Jul 10, 2023

By Theodore Opara

Nigerian car owners and buyers of used cars have bemoaned the increasing rate of stealing and cannibalization of vehicle catalysts by mechanics, used car dealers and vehicle importers in recent times.

Most of the car owners who lamented their ordeals to Vanguard said that road side mechanics steal the catalytic converters when the vehicles are brought in for repairs without the car owners knowing that the catalyst had been removed.

The catalyst is located underneath the car, attached to the exhaust pipe. Essentially, catalytic converter filters out harmful byproducts in the exhaust gas and burn them up. It reduces emission and improves the vehicles’ efficiency.

Though it has been argued that it does not affect fuel consumption but the fact remains that it affects the overall performance of vehicles, hence mechanics and car dealers are cashing out on it.Vanguard investigations revealed that over 80 percent of imported used cars in the market presently do not have catalysts.

The most affected are the small and mid-sized cars like Corolla, Civic, Accord and Camry which are in very high demand in the country.

The big cars are not left out either, as further investigations have shown that most of them don’t return to their owners with the catalyst intact if the vehicles stay overnight in mechanic workshops.

The removal is usually carried out by panelbeaters in connivance with the mechanics and sold at exorbitant prices ranging from N150,000 to N350,000 depending on the make of the car. It might surprise you that even the dealers remove the catalysts and sell them before taking the vehicles to the market for display since used car buyers may likely not find out that it had been removed.

The clearing agents too are not left out. While taking the cars to the owners (importers), they sometimes divert to some dubious workshops, where they remove the catalyst and weld back the exhaust.

The trend has also gone international as some businessmen, having discovered how lucrative the business has become, travel aboard to bring catalysts in bags from cars that are billed to be brought into the country and other neighboring African countries.

The saving grace at the moment is that some traders having discovered that they could make much profit from it have resorted to bringing china-made catalysts which cost about N70,000, but the disadvantage however is that this Chinese made catalysts don’t last long before they burn out.

But most car dealers see it as a cheap way to replace the original one that comes with the cars which could cost as much as N350,000.

Speaking to Vanguard on the issue, a motor parts dealer at Trinity Spare parts market, Olodi, Lagos who wouldn’t like his name in print said that the business is booming presently as you could hardly find a corolla with its catalyst intact.

What most people do is to buy the catalyst for their car and get a mechanic to fix it.

He said “I can bet you if you go round the used car markets, eight out of every ten cars on display are without catalysts. They have been removed and sold to spare parts sellers who await the new buyers to cough out several thousands of naira to purchase them.”

Most car owners who have had their catalysts removed said that they are helpless especially if they have visited different mechanic workshops. In this case, they would not know who to hold responsible for the missing catalyst or if it had been removed from the source of purchase of the vehicle.

A car owner told Vanguard that he recently decided to check if any of his three cars still had catalysts as the cars fuel consumption was increasing but he was shocked to find out that there was none.

According to him, it is a very difficult thing to checkmate the roadside mechanics from stealing catalysts as he queried: “Are you going to stay with them when your car is being repaired?”What if the car has to stay overnight in the mechanic workshop?”

Usually, when the catalyst is removed, the car displays “check engine” sign on the dashboard but this is not only the reason the check engine sign pops up. There are many other reasons this sign could trigger up.

This makes it difficult to checkmate the problem. But the easiest way to know is to run a diagnosis on the engine concerning the check engine sign but who has the resources to do this continuously?

Mr Ikechukwu Obinna, owner of a vehicle workshop said that in his workshop, he had been approached severally by all kinds of people to join in the ‘ business’ but he had turned down the request knowing that it is ungodly to do so. Dealers, importers and even clearing agents have been involved in the racket.

According to him, this has been the practice for many years but people are beginning to discover it now because they are looking for how to save fuel due to the removal of fuel subsidy.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/07/catalytic-converters-how-mechanics-dealers-panel-beaters-are-ripping-off-car-owners/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by overdrive(m): 8:26am On Jul 10, 2023
shocked

2 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Ruke1989: 8:27am On Jul 10, 2023
The country is a warehouse of millions of degenerate minds and thieves

112 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by HeartlessMan: 8:39am On Jul 10, 2023
Gazzuzz nurey buygala kingreign and co go get like 3 sacks for house.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Creamypie(m): 8:52am On Jul 10, 2023
Na God dey save person oh. This one wey things come hard. Fuel come dey costly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Kingdemu: 8:59am On Jul 10, 2023
HeartlessMan:
Stop calling buygala and nurey here. One is just a roadside charge and bail lawyer while the other one is a sit-at-home husband. cheesy

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by id4sho(m): 8:59am On Jul 10, 2023
Na panel beater b d criminals. 30 minutes, harvest done and dusted

8 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by kingreign(m): 9:06am On Jul 10, 2023
Kingdemu:
Stop calling buygala and nurey here. One is just a roadside charge and bail lawyer while the other one is a sit-at-home husband. cheesy

angry grin
Who be sit at home husband?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by kingreign(m): 9:10am On Jul 10, 2023
HeartlessMan:

angry

3 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by nurey(m): 9:45am On Jul 10, 2023
HeartlessMan:
nurey and co go get like 3 sacks for house.

I have 20feet container worth of it. May this catalyst stealing favour me and my family grin

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by nurey(m): 9:47am On Jul 10, 2023
Kingdemu:

My brother send me something this sit at home wan finish me tongue

5 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by fineboynl(m): 10:05am On Jul 10, 2023
I'm yet to see any who bought catalyst and the fuel economy improve by 20%

5 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by mejai(m): 10:21am On Jul 10, 2023
HeartlessMan:
40ft things!!! grin
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:31am On Jul 10, 2023
I don leave mechanic work, nah CNG LPG hybrid carburator for generator I de hawk Upandan now.

See the thread

LPG carburator installation video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njBaT8k0Mr8

https://www.nairaland.com/7752668/lpg-cng-petrol-hybrid-generator

Save money, patronise me.

Incase you have no catalyst and you want your engine to still run optimally, follow this link I de hawk am too.

https://www.nairaland.com/7753921/solution-stolen-catalyst-broken-catalyst

Finally if you want know Wetin de do ya motor so mechanic no go chop your buy your own scanner, i de hawk am too e nor too cost see am here.

https://www.nairaland.com/7752834/advancer-ad10-xtool-bluetooth-vehicle

All way nah way this govt go favour all man any which way.

17 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by marlow1962(m): 12:13pm On Jul 10, 2023
Lol
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by bigdammyj: 12:14pm On Jul 10, 2023
Reading...
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Dozie32(m): 12:14pm On Jul 10, 2023
One mechanic nearly stole mine from my car, but u caught him.

3 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Randal: 12:14pm On Jul 10, 2023
Fear mechanics. Even the most trustworthy one.

7 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by JelolVin: 12:14pm On Jul 10, 2023
Evil set of prople
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by clockwisereport: 12:15pm On Jul 10, 2023
Call it Biscuit, Indomie or any other local name.

Na panelbeaters and auto-electricians sabi steal anm pass

4 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by MuslimIgbo: 12:20pm On Jul 10, 2023
grin
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Billionaire2: 12:21pm On Jul 10, 2023
I don’t know why governments have not criminalized this…

Whenever you visit an auto workshop and you hear words like …
Charcoal
Indomie
Biscuit
Vegetable
Silencer
Liver
Ingredients

Be watchful, keep your eyes on your car and never leave your car at the garage to come back later…
if your mechanic is busy and you drop your key and come back later, RiP to your catalyst

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by bestman09(m): 12:24pm On Jul 10, 2023
Many of us are ignorant of what they use the catalyst for. The reason they steal it is not even to sell to motorist's.

I learnt that people go to Libya and other places to source for these catalysts, which they sell in the black market, to terrorists who use it to produce local bomb.

That's why it's in hot demand. 90% motorists do not know or care if their cars have catalyst

9 Likes

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Solofresh2: 12:24pm On Jul 10, 2023
Nawa oo
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by PhoneSaviour(m): 12:25pm On Jul 10, 2023
I have a head
Who never fails
My kpodi never fails
Forever more 💛🖤
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by CartelKenneth: 12:25pm On Jul 10, 2023
Country filled to the brim with useless people!!!😡

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Whois(m): 12:27pm On Jul 10, 2023
Help with picture of the Catalytic Converter
Re: Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car by Rahkman: 12:28pm On Jul 10, 2023
For which location the catalyst dey??

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jeminat Olawore and Paul Lawson, Bikers Who Are Travelling 8000 Miles For Charit / The Most Common Problems With Mercedes-benz Cars / 2019 Lexus UX Unveiled (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.