Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,908 members, 7,828,187 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% (31987 Views)

How Do I Pay UK Tuition Fee From Nigeria? Here's Your Guide / Getting Form A For Paying UK Tuition Fees / Over Unpaid Scholarships: Hundreds Of Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Zupay: 4:51pm On Jul 12, 2023
Thank God say I escaped it.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by FireUpNow(m): 4:54pm On Jul 12, 2023
Floatation or floating of the naira against the almighty US dollars was a massive mistake and scam. How can a country that doesn't produce embark on such a dangerous economic journey? Those of you who are hailing the president una eyes go soon clear. A man who just came in to increase pms pump price , hike electricity tarrifs, Increase tuition fees of tertiary institutions and float(devalue) of the naira become a messiah? I dey laugh. I bought an egg for 100 naira this morning.

10 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Vicdgreat556(m): 4:57pm On Jul 12, 2023
By the time this drug baron is done with you all ehn, u'll understand that bad government knows no tribe ..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by onuman: 4:59pm On Jul 12, 2023
FireUpNow:
Floatation or floating of the naira against the almighty US dollars was a massive mistake and scam. How can a country that doesn't produce embark in such a dangerous economic journey? Those of you who are hailing the president una eyes go soon clear. A man who just cam in to increase pms pump price , hike electricity tarrifs, I crease tuition fees and float(devalue) of the naira become a messiah? I dey laugh. I bought an egg for 100 naira.

BAT has to obey the IMF boys in suit to float the already suffering Naira against other currencies of producer countries, in order to get support for his stolen mandate. Economic politics without consideration for the masses he is presiding over.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Georgejeez: 5:00pm On Jul 12, 2023
This UK tuition fees increase will favour me and my family πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’—

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Angelfrost(m): 5:00pm On Jul 12, 2023
Not just UK students... Even those who are planning to Japa to Canada, Australia, U.S are also in trouble!

Some might have to forfeit or postpone their travel or relocation plans!

For some, initial budgets of 10 Million Naira currently stands inflated to over 20 Million, and keeps rising daily!

I say it again... If you are or have been saving in Naira, I can't help but pity you!!! You have just been "favored" by this administration! tongue

8 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 12, 2023
Favour don land oooo!!!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Hussein035: 5:00pm On Jul 12, 2023
ogododo:

https://punchng.com/naira-devaluation-nigerian-students-face-tough-times-in-uk-tuition-soars-by-60/?amp

Those who are also employed in UK should also tell us how happy they are with the naira devaluation

They will be completing their house projects in Nigeria at this moment with less stress

6 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by googi: 5:00pm On Jul 12, 2023
Spoiled brats, poor Nigerians are shortchanged for your rich parents to source foreign reserve from Central Bank to pay for you. Meanwhile, poor children are doing any jobs, going to school and still send money to their poor parents.

Bunch of robbers. Money that should be spent on Nigerian universities.

Paulyaweh:
This part i support.
Why should government subsidize your schools fees.
If you can't pay the fee at open market rate then you shouldn't be schooling where you cant afford.

Form A, PTA, Subsidy on trips to mecca and Israel should all be stopped.
If you can't afford dont pass the cost to Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by MT: 5:01pm On Jul 12, 2023
Students schooling abroad should be able to afford the cost. Nigeria is undergoing structurally changes and we are going in different directions.

Nigeria cannot be subsidising each dollar and pound that people are taking outside the country. This same set of people are part of individuals that put lot of pressure on the Naira that make it to lose its value. Sadly, when they send or bring foreign currency to Nigeria, they will go to the black market to exchange it instead of changing it at the CBN rate, forgetting that this same CBN subidised every dollar they took outside the country.

Capital flight has to stop. If you need dollars or pounds, seek for it at the normal rate.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by blesdman(m): 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2023
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Dayumnn. Times are hard.

I dedicate β€œLife Goes On” by MJG and 8 Ball to Nigerian students in the struggle. Solemn jam!
Who made the times hard?
Someone endorsed the policy that made these times hard

2 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by FireUpNow(m): 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2023
onuman:

BAT has to obey the IMF boys in suit to float the already suffering Naira against other currencies of producer countries, in order to get support for his stolen mandate. Economic politics without consideration for the masses he is presiding over.
A recipe for disaster
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by MT: 5:05pm On Jul 12, 2023
Hussein035:

Those who are also employed in UK should also tell us how happy they are with the naira devaluation

They will be completing their house projects in Nigeria at this moment with less stress

They will actually spend more due to inflation.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Tonytonex(m): 5:07pm On Jul 12, 2023
It's so unfortunate.

People should cut their coats according to their materials.
Things ain't longer the same anymore.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by onatisi(m): 5:09pm On Jul 12, 2023
it is not by force to study in uk , there are many other countries with good educational system and 10 times cheaper than uk

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by lexy2014: 5:09pm On Jul 12, 2023
Racoon:
Wahala and shege promax still loading. Collateral damage of free floating the naira. These are indeed bad times to do anything with the $ or Β£. People were hailing all these senseless Tinubu’s economic frenzes as achievements but the ripple effects are still unfolding.

Previous presidents localised the suffering they imposed on nigerians. They made sure it was just within our borders. Hence, many nigerians sought succour abroad.

Now Tinubus has gone a step further and has exported the suffering. He is now making sure that those who ran abroad to escape the suffering, must partake of the suffering no matter were they are on the face of d globe

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Yankee101: 5:12pm On Jul 12, 2023
Painful
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by casualobserver: 5:13pm On Jul 12, 2023
it is good, now the elites will pay attention to the same universities that educated them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by FasasiAkeem(m): 5:13pm On Jul 12, 2023
ogododo:

https://punchng.com/naira-devaluation-nigerian-students-face-tough-times-in-uk-tuition-soars-by-60/?amp
They should send them all back to Nigeria, many of their parents are balablulu supporters
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by rollywise(m): 5:17pm On Jul 12, 2023
Tinubu's administration is affecting Nigerians negatively both home and abroad. Trial and error reforms and policies. You implement a policy without seeing the backlash it will have at the other end then you quickly pull it back or roll out a counter policy to cushion the adverse effect of the first making everywhere rowdy and disorganized. It shows one thing, disorganization. An organized government would put everything on the table, check out the plus and minuses, the goods and bads of a policy before rolling it out so they don't look stupid in the eyes of the public. But here in Nigeria stupidity is the order of the day from top to bottom

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by integrity16(m): 5:19pm On Jul 12, 2023
Japa is about to turn to Japada.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by OlujobaSamuel: 5:19pm On Jul 12, 2023
Eriokanmi:
Hope they didn't say, awa lokan and voted along that line before they left the country. Now I'm beginning to really learn of leadership.

Leadership is divinely orchestrated. You don't struggle for it else, you'd mess things up. Of all the leaders known in this country, only tinubu grabbed power by hook and crook. Even when Buhari was so desperate, he never got it until he willingly surrendered and left the space.

From 1960 to date, none who ruled Nigeria got to power desperately and the history has shown and I'd start from the most recent cos of some indomie generation here.
Buhari was called to lead Nigeria after the successful coup in which he never participated.
Babangida, same. It was obj who said those who participated in the coup should consider IBB for the position. This is a fact not known to many, till now.

Chief Earnest Shonekan never dreamt of becoming an interim president.

Abahca too never knew it could be his turn. Those who persuaded shonekan to step down in line with their agreement was led by Gen Diya, not even abacha cos he wasn't in good terms with IBB.

Abdulsalaam Abubakar never thought of being head of state. There were senior officers before him who could have filled that space but he was picked and his promotion was doubled, as a prerequisite to being head of state before he became Nigerian leader.

Obj was picked from the prison, he had thought he'd be executed by abacha when IBB boys did the needful and he was released . The rest was history.

What of Jonathan?

...and Yaradua?

None of those mentioned above bought their ways into power. When you force yourself in a position where God didn't put you, you should experience things like this. Only God appoints leaders, irrespective of religion or ethnicity.

If tinubu scales the hurdle of the judiciary eventually, he'd manage to lead Nigeria for 4 years but people should brace up for the unexpected. This isn't a curse. We're all seeing the realities. A Pounds sterling don pas 1,000 naira now.
On the flip side, don't you think everyone of them wasn't effective just because they were never prepared as they got it on a platter
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Larry1960: 5:21pm On Jul 12, 2023
Angelfrost:
Not just UK students... Even those who are planning to Japa to Canada, Australia, U.S are also in trouble!

Some might have to forfeit or postpone their travel or relocation plans!

For some, initial budgets of 10 Million Naira currently stands inflated to over 20 Million, and keeps rising daily!

I say it again... If you are or have been saving in Naira, I can't help but pity you!!! You have just been "favored" by this administration! tongue

My brother that is the case my initial budget for Canada and uk was 10m and 14M
As it stands now I need 17m for Canada and 28M for UK . I just had to abandon my travel plans. I would be removing my money in the bank now I kept for 1month in HiDA account this Friday imagine the stupid bank gave me 30k interest on Millions wey I put I wan Carry money make I go buy land . Tinibu na idiot

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by 004gist: 5:21pm On Jul 12, 2023
BigBlackPreek:
Okayooo

Na who get money dey school abroad and no be by force
a typical Nigerian mentality. Once it does not concern u others should go n die
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Angelfrost(m): 5:24pm On Jul 12, 2023
Larry1960:

My brother that is the case my initial budget for Canada and uk was 10m and 14M
As it stands now I need 17m for Canada and 28M for UK . I just had to abandon my travel plans. I would be removing my money in the bank now I kept for 1month in HiDA account this Friday imagine the stupid bank gave me 30k interest on Millions wey I put I wan Carry money make I go buy land . Tinibu na idiot

Sorry bro... The situation is crazy!!!
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Angelfrost(m): 5:25pm On Jul 12, 2023
RedpillAnalyst:
This is good move from Asiwaju.

This benefits the majority --> The real suffering Nigerians who can not afford a plane ticket even to Ghana.

Students in UK give no care about the average Nigerians seeing shege on daily basis.

All they do is start silly tiktoks and unfunny Instagram posts when they step out of Nigerian shores.

The spread between 415 and 750 for dollars is too much and the abusers are benefitting from it than 200 Million helpless Nigerians.

If these benefit the populace then so be it.

How exactly is the average Nigerian benefiting?!!

Maybe you don't know the direct impact of currency devaluation on the economic life and cost of living of a nation that largely depends on imports... A nation that can't even point at a tangible export trade commodity!

Don't be too quick to rejoice over things affecting those more privileged than you are as though you are exempt from the same strain!

Take healthcare and essential drugs for instance, a sachet of top antibiotics sold for 1000 prior to this administration, now goes for over 3500!

This means basic healthcare has ceased to be basic!

4 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by TheMostComplex1: 5:27pm On Jul 12, 2023
shielaAhmed:
Nairaland has finally become a breeding ground for tribalism in Nigeria. Many threads on this platform contains tribal hate and the moderators/owner of this site is not doing anything about it.

Don’t be too surprised if this site receives a hefty fine from the Government soon.

Though I don't support tribalism but you would have complained during the campaign when people were fighting here

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by 004gist: 5:28pm On Jul 12, 2023
tatatar:
Why screaming... Isn't "Nigeria a useless country that does nothing for them"
So 60% of your school fees even after japa is still subsidized by your country sad
naira has been devalued its nw sold for 800 per dollar and 1030 per pounds.

You go feel am with time cos things will be %100 increased plus the fuel subsidy removal

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Larry1960: 5:32pm On Jul 12, 2023
onatisi:
it is not by force to study in uk , there are many other countries with good educational system and 10 times cheaper than uk

It's not about cheaper country some cheaper countries right now that a budget of 10M can do are Germany, Norway Austria with 10M but the language barrier is the ish how many person go wan learn new language. Germany sef na war you would have to be on waiting list for appointment like 16-18Months

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Blaze14k: 5:34pm On Jul 12, 2023
youngreezy:
make una come back

Come back to do exactly

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Student Rescued After Being Trapped Between 2 Walls For 72 Hours / UNN Zoology Students Afraid To Carry Snakes During Practical Class (Video) / I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.